PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare PC for Windows XP

Sayara
Jun 14, 2005, 09:56 AM
Ok, this will sound stupid pathetic whatever. I don't give 2 shits right now how this sounds.

Just now, at 9:29 am i single handly fixed my computer from SO MANY stupid errors all with one fix.
What happened exactly?

Well im just trying to connect everything back onto the computer (ethernet cable, keyboard) when bro wants to use the computer. So i am like, Ok hold on. Connect everything, and moved the mouse to Log off...but holdup! Mouse froze. So i spend a good 20 minutes trying to get the mouse to work, until i just tell him pull his and let me plug that in. So currently, im using a old hunky HP mouse, but it works at least... Mouse from Dell i need to test in a later date.

Time for the fun time.
New mouse inserted and the PC is restarted. Now to get my dad's work done. (Sending palmpilot info via email). Well guess what? DSL line is going sorta silly. Running at 128 bytes like an hour basically. Im like wtf?! So i restart the dsl box, that only caused a port to crash and cannot connect at all. So, i restart PC, and DSL box. Return back to 128bytes/hour. This process lasts for a while, til 1am in the morning. Assuming it would work (later tries it went past 1000bytes but still had no connection.) So finally after 1:30, i said fuck it, and left.

Come this morning i see if theres anyimprovement, and there isn't. But this morning, i noticed... WHERE IS THE FIREWALL!? it was not loading. From RUN or from Open, neither way worked. So i went and uninstalled it. And, well whattya know.

The fucking computer works.
Yeah i know, not too ranty but i don't think my wittle brain can ever go through this frustration again! Nor do i want to anyway!

digigram
Jun 14, 2005, 10:14 AM
SP2 basic windows firewall?

yeah, it causes a grip of my MOST important programs (creative and dev programs) to not work. I have to individually go through and allow permissions per program for each to work, even though none of them actually do any function on any level that requires outward/inward access.

Sayara
Jun 14, 2005, 10:23 AM
Some third party thing.

Sygate Firewall. Ran as SMC.EXE
Currently uninstallled now, because that was what made this thing fuck up.

Blue-Hawk
Jun 14, 2005, 10:59 AM
I use the Sygate firewall and have no problems. Then again, I'm also not stupid enough to install SP2.

Dek
Jun 14, 2005, 11:13 AM
You mentioned it was a mouse from Dell. Was it optical or a ball and axis mouse? If it was a ball mouse, it could be dirty inside the ball area, which you may need to clean...

Sayara
Jun 14, 2005, 11:15 AM
On 2005-06-14 09:13, Arthas_Zero wrote:
You mentioned it was a mouse from Dell. Was it optical or a ball and axis mouse? If it was a ball mouse, it could be dirty inside the ball area, which you may need to clean...

Pieces of the connector is missing. So its not dirty mouse.

digigram
Jun 14, 2005, 11:27 AM
Then again, I'm also not stupid enough to install SP2.

so, i'm stupid? I see what you're saying.

Jett_Kakashi
Jun 14, 2005, 11:48 AM
I used to have the same problem. Until I looked at the firewall options. Everything was either restricted, or had to go under thorough scanning. Only way to get the comp up to boot was allow all. So..we got another program. Better one too.

Solstis
Jun 14, 2005, 01:45 PM
On 2005-06-14 09:27, digigram wrote:

Then again, I'm also not stupid enough to install SP2.

so, i'm stupid? I see what you're saying.

Gee wiz... I guess that I'm just a moron then.

Hm, yes, firewalls can crappify a system if you let them. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2005-06-14 11:46 ]</font>

Sayara
Jun 14, 2005, 01:57 PM
It use to run fine, just today/last night it did not load up, wouldnt run, wouldnt function, AND somehow set itself to Block All.

digigram
Jun 14, 2005, 02:01 PM
To be honest, i've never had any sort of issues with SP2, it has only restricted one main program to not run, but that is as easy as telling it to allow it, then it ran fine. Maya has had issues with SP2 since it came out and on the maya support board, it is clearly stated SP2 doesn't like maya. fixed.

KodiaX987
Jun 14, 2005, 03:23 PM
I used to have ZoneAlarm, and whenever something crashed on my compy, the firewall blocked absolutely all transmissions coming from the modem. I couldn't even pick up the phone with it.

I deleted it soon thereafter.

korifugi
Jun 15, 2005, 04:13 AM
If you've got your own firewall just turn the SP2 one off (although i take NO responsibility if it all goes wrong) - it causes soooo many problems by 'stealth'ing loads of ports.

One funny thing about it is the fact that it actually stops most of the microsoft management tools running, they used to use security holes within windows to work - that microsoft for you...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: korifugi on 2005-06-15 02:14 ]</font>

Blue-Hawk
Jun 16, 2005, 07:48 PM
SP2 is a bad thing. My father installed it a while back without telling me and I had to reformat his system completely. Nothing we did could get him online again, even uninstalling SP2. Reformatting the system got it running and better than even when it was new.

Blitzkommando
Jun 18, 2005, 01:07 AM
On 2005-06-16 17:48, Blue-Hawk wrote:
SP2 is a bad thing. My father installed it a while back without telling me and I had to reformat his system completely. Nothing we did could get him online again, even uninstalling SP2. Reformatting the system got it running and better than even when it was new.

Huh, guess that sucks for people like me who's new computers come with SP2 pre-installed. [/sarcasm]

You do know that many companies are requiring SP2 to run their programs, yes? It is the same thing as Win98 SE. SP2 does fix a lot of problems that were blatantly wrong during SP1 and prior, especially security-wise.

From the sounds of it your father didn't install "just" SP2.