PDA

View Full Version : In Comparison...

Sayara
Jun 19, 2005, 06:17 PM
Tingle is someone who isn't annoyed very often. You need to do something really fucking harsh to get me angry.

Today, my anger barrier has been breached.
In a different forum outside of here, person goes about and asks a question.

"Who is the best artist here?"
I feel very bothered by this. My feeling about this is, there are no best artists, just devoted ones. And even then if i draw something people may not like it, or may love it. Thats coo.

This goes the same for Michelangelo, Di Vinci or any artist that is out there.

Comparing between artists just breaks my one rule of art.

Its one thing to say. "Tingle, your art sucks," or "Tingle, this is amazing." Its another to go and compare someone with me and consider it from there. Every artist has their own unique flavor of style. And every patron has their own special flavor of viewing things. With this in mind, there is no best artist out there, no best drawer, penciler, painter nothing.

You can say you are the best, but you'll be alone on this one.

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Jun 19, 2005, 06:49 PM
Unfortunately I got the whole comparison problem from my family and friends. This is why I hate drawing and usually hide my drawings now.

InfinityXXX
Jun 19, 2005, 07:13 PM
THANK YOU TINGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

For bringing this up. This topic needs to be shown to everyone in the world. I hate people that goes and compare your art to someone elses or say you can't draw as good as someone else.

EX: Me, my friend Lloyd and my friend Danny have our own art group, Cramp(we got our own website and forum, trying to be big one day.) Well Loyd draws in a western cartoony yet REALY realistic anime style(kinda like Kuda's new art style) and Danny does pure eastern manga style(think basic anime) and I, I have a weird style. Cartoony yet animeish. I will probably say my stuff is like in the style of medabots.(Just go to Fanworks and see goddammit!!)

Yet dumbasses at school feel that they can compare my art to my friends, saying that my friends art exceed mines highly.

But the thing is, you can NEVER compare art to other Art. Its just like comparing fingerprints, Everyone has their own style of art just like their own fingerprints or ways of talking or walking. It can never be compared

Everyone on this site can draw. To me, their is no good nor bad art for art is only bad if the artist says so. Now you can give advice on someones art like saying if the body is not in porportion but even if that body is out of porportion it STILL is art and art is only art. Its not good, its not bad its what the artist says it is. The same goes with music.

If only people were lucid enough to accept this then maybe the world of art wouldn't be so freaked up.

Tingle, I've seen your art, its outstanding, it reflects you and it shouldn't be compared to anyone elses for its YOUR style.

*sigh* Dammit I wish I made this topic, as you can see i'm ranting within your rant but I hate when i see people compare one persons art to another.

Its just like saying "Oh the art work in Cowboy Beebop is better than Michelangelo's"

Arislan
Jun 19, 2005, 08:11 PM
Just a note, and I am in no way disagreeing with the OP...

You *can* compare art. You simply can't validly compare it on a "good/bad" scale. You *can* however compare how brush or linework was done, shading, perception, etc.

HUcastShinobi
Jun 19, 2005, 08:25 PM
People are critical, and they only tend to side with what they like, and they bash anything that isnt part of it. Its that simple...

Sayara
Jun 19, 2005, 08:37 PM
On 2005-06-19 18:11, Arislan wrote:
Just a note, and I am in no way disagreeing with the OP...

You *can* compare art. You simply can't validly compare it on a "good/bad" scale. You *can* however compare how brush or linework was done, shading, perception, etc.

When i meant compare, i in no means meant comparing technichal aspects. Just the style in itself.

geewj
Jun 19, 2005, 08:55 PM
Well, I'd say you can, but like anything its a mater of opinion.

Now, I don't mean you can say "This persons art is bad because I don't like it." Just the style and art doesn't appeal to the person.

Same thing with music.

Let's use the extreme example, emo. Lots of people really hate emo music. How is this any differnt then what tingle is talking about?

So yeah, things being 'good' or 'bad' are just matters of opinion, and that's all they are. But that doesn't make them invalid. If someone wants to say art blah is better than art blah even thogh they are different styles, I don't see the difference between that and someone saying Red Hot Chilli Pepers is better than Modest Mouse.

Scejntjynahl
Jun 20, 2005, 10:27 AM
There are also those unfortunate times when art is critiqued based on the person who created it, rather than the piece on its own. Preety much like buying designer clothes and automatically assuming its the best because of the label.

What I infer Tingle is saying that you can not say that one form of "art" is better than another form of "art". Art is art simple as that.

And what Frink said is also true, we all have our own personal tastes and perceptions, and we will see what we want to see from any particular work of art.

But I guess what got to Tingle was the wording of that person, asking for the "best". Some things should not be said, but that just shows the lack of maturity of that individual.