PDA

View Full Version : Too sudden...

Jive18
Jul 15, 2005, 12:17 PM
Well, I knew I'd eventually make a rant, so here it goes:

I wish this was something minor like a breakup, fight, etc., but unfortunately my life won't allow it. Death is confusing, and I'm trying to figure it out right now.

A part of my family in detail:

I don't know if my family is similar to others, but I imagine some of you can relate to my relationship with my grandparents. I have always been incredibly close to both sets of my grandparents; my father's parents live about 40 minutes away, and my mother's parents live a mere 10 minutes away. It's always been great having them so close because I think I have gotten to know them better than other kids my age. All of my friends have grandparents who live in completely opposite places, where visiting them becomes a once-a-year affair. Not the case with my family. I've seen my grandparents probably twice a week every week for my whole life. In a nutshell, they've become almost a second set of parents, and I always felt I could go to them with any problem I ever had.

The Ordeal:

Until 5 months ago, I had been lucky enough to say that all 4 of my grandparents were still alive. Then my dad's father became a complete wreck. Both of his kidney's failed and he lost his gag-reflex (it allows you to swallow). Because of this loss of swallowing his food ended up in his lungs, making it impossible to breath on his own and produced a flow of blood into his mouth. In the end, my grandfather died while struggling to breath and being drowned in his own fluids. The loss hurt me bad, and I still am not sure I ever got through it. Keep in mind I have been closer to my grandparents than a lot of other people.

About a year ago, before my grandfather died, my mom's mother was diagnosed with lung cancer. She has smoked all her life, mostly in secret. For some reason my mother and my aunt have always known, but they never told her to quit. Anyways, for a while my grandmother had done fine, even through all of the chemo that has ravaged hey body. Then it was found that the cancer had spread all over: her brain, right hip, spine, and shoulder. It seems that at 69 years old this is all too much for my grandmother handle.

The change in her for the past week has been unbelieveable. She's in the hospital, can barely speak, sleeps non-stop, and has barely eaten enough to stay alive. It's as if she isn't even in her body anymore. My mom cries every day, and I fear her depression is going to get serious again. The same goes for my grandfather, and my dad fears he will commit suicide if my grandmother dies.

So I write this with the hope my grandmother starts eating again, because right now that's life and death for her. I'm on the verge of going from 4 grandparents to just 2 in a matter of months. And who really knows how long my other 2 grandparents will be able to handle the fact that their life-long companions are gone. It makes me think that maybe people can die of a broken heart.

All of this has happened right before my junior year of high school, where I decide how my life is going to be for the next 3-4 years. It's going to be hell going back to the pressure of school with the possible death of my grandmother leaning on me. Again, I wrote this because I have to, and I'm afraid that if I wait any longer I won't have the heart to tell my story.

Pagit
Jul 15, 2005, 01:09 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your grandparents. I know things can be hard to handle when life throws curveballs at you, one after the other. I was very close to my dad's parents, and they lived a few blocks from me, too. And they died very close together; my grandfather died at the end of my first sememster of my freshman year of college, and my grandmother died during the second sememster of my freshman year of college. I miss them both dearly.

Focus on the happy times you spent with your grandfather, and remember what you learned from him. Spend time with your grandmother and tell her you love her, even if she isn't responsive. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Feelmirath
Jul 15, 2005, 03:14 PM
I'm sorry for your loss(es). I wouldn't know how it feels to lose a grandparent, because both of my grandads were dead before i was born...

Kizaragu
Jul 15, 2005, 05:19 PM
Death is never easy to deal with (obviousely), ecspecially when it happens to someone you're close too.
Life is stupidly unpredictable and bad timing is what it's famed for. I attended my Grandfather's funeral the day prior to my 21st birthday.

As a kid I always thought it was the sort of thing that happened to other people, but that's far from the truth.

I'm sorry for the loss of your Granfather and I hope your Grandmother pulls through ok despite her condition.

Daikarin
Jul 15, 2005, 05:35 PM
No man or woman dies for a reason. It's not nice, it's painful, it's revolting, I know about all that. But it's how things are, it's life.

All you can do is believe, because nothing ends or starts on this life. I don't want to get into discussion about this, I just want Jive18 to realize this: I don't care if you're religious or not, just be aware that whatever happens, it's what's meant to be. Whether they leave this world, or stay around for some years, just make sure you can reach the day they leave your life, confident of their impact on your life.

Don't give up, they're still with us. Hoping for the best never hurts anyone.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Even_Jin on 2005-07-15 15:35 ]</font>

Jive18
Jul 15, 2005, 11:43 PM
On 2005-07-15 15:35, Even_Jin wrote:
No man or woman dies for a reason. It's not nice, it's painful, it's revolting, I know about all that. But it's how things are, it's life.

All you can do is believe, because nothing ends or starts on this life. I don't want to get into discussion about this, I just want Jive18 to realize this: I don't care if you're religious or not, just be aware that whatever happens, it's what's meant to be. Whether they leave this world, or stay around for some years, just make sure you can reach the day they leave your life, confident of their impact on your life.

Don't give up, they're still with us. Hoping for the best never hurts anyone.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Even_Jin on 2005-07-15 15:35 ]</font>

I know that hoping never hurts and that some things are meant to be, but it feels like there's more to it. I can't really explain what I mean, because it's confusing me too.

Anyways, thanks for all your kind words guys (or girls?), I needed some reassurance of this whole thing.

navci
Jul 16, 2005, 12:03 AM
Well. If they are suffering, death might be actually be a liberation just so they no longer suffer.

Death is hard to deal with. The only thing you can do is think on the positive side. That, even though they no longer live in this world; but they will always be a part of you. Especially when you are so close to them, you will always remember things you have done together, things you got influenced from them, things that are from them, but made you who you are. Those things live on.

Treasure your time with people you love, I suppose. Just remember death isn't the end, it is sort of a transcendence in our existance... is how I like to think of it.

Be strong.

Jive18
Jul 16, 2005, 06:47 PM
On 2005-07-15 22:03, navinator wrote:

Treasure your time with people you love, I suppose. Just remember death isn't the end, it is sort of a transcendence in our existance... is how I like to think of it.

Be strong.

Thanks Navi, I like the idea of death being a transcendence.

Just to let you guys know, my grandmother did indeed pass away at 11:01 this morning. It's such a shock, no one thought she would go so quickly, but apparently my grandfather could already tell she was leaving. He's handling it incredibly well, and it is calming me too because I realize that all in all, there is no more cancer and pain with her spirit.

Again, thanks to all who wished her well.