PDA

View Full Version : Check your Discs.

Zelutos
Jul 19, 2005, 01:12 AM
Yes, you heard me. When buying pre-owned games, make sure to check the discs before paying for them.

Here's my story:

I was on an outing to visit my grandparents and my farm out by the mountains [if you want some sweet pic, ask me on MSN or AIM], and i decided i wanted to visit one of my favourite malls in the area. So i walk into the mall, and the first stop i make is at my favourite anime store. I pick up a Naruto wall scroll, a Kakashi keychain for my new car, and a couple of calendar cards with Naruto characters on the front. Okay, so i'm happy [except about the part where the nice Japnese lady at the anime store thought my sister was my girlfriend o.O;;]

So my next stop is EBgames. I walk in, check out the Gamecube stuff, then wonder over to the PS2 section. And what do i see? The first of the Devil May Cry series -- a hard game to come by today. It's pre-owned, but i've never had a bad expirience buying those types of games from EB since at the EB in my town, they clean the discs and repair the scratches, and i thought they would do the same here. So i walk up to the desk, proud of my find, and the guy asks me, as they always do, if i want to add the protection fee in case i scratch the disc and need it fixed. I reply the same as i always do: "No thanks, i take good care of my discs." So he looks at the disc and sticks in the case, seals it shut, and sends me on my way after paying.

So we continue shopping and then we go to the silly Good Charolette concert that my sister and her real boyfriend wanted to see. By the time we get back to the hotel, it's around 11pm. I claim my bed and check out the Naruto stuff i bought, then peel away the sealing on my new game. I pop out the disc and look at it. What do i see? Scratches...everywhere! Okay, i'm kind of ticked now, but i don't really mind since i know some discs still work when they are scracthed.

Okay, so the next day we go visit my grandparents at our farm, visit our restaurant for lunch, and then head home. Relieved to finally be home, i pop open the lid on my PS2, stick the Devil May Cry disc in, and turn on the PS2...I get to the usual "Playstation" screen that starts before the game loads...then i wait...and wait...and wait...and i see nothing but black. Okay, now i'm cheesed. The guy looked at the disc and neglected to warn me that it was scratched AND that it wouldn't work. I know at the EBgames in the mall where i live, they test the games and fix the scratches....so i'm never shopping at the one i got it at ever again. Now i have to go buy a 40 dollar CD scratch repair kit for one game......

Moral of the story: ask to check the disc before they seal it up and it's too late to do anything about it. K?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 19, 2005, 03:35 AM
Indeed.

But on the flipside, my lil bro handed in a broken disc; Parappa the Rappa, for trade in and the guy took one look and accepted it.

It is a little rare and all but he didn't bother to look at all.

The store then proceeds to lay it out in the used bin section for $17, when they gave my lil bro $7 store credit.

Gamestop, for specifics.
I feel bad that we gave away a broken game, but he didn't check, and they proceed to charge $10 over what they gave us in store credit/not real cash, so it isn't what keeps me from sleeping at night, hehe.

I always check used discs. Never let the clerks rush you. Its your money, used doesn't always mean it works, check it out.

Well trade it back in at the same store/your local store when you get home? They certainly will accept it within 7 days or so right?

Devil May Cry (1) is one hot commodity, I know. I loaned it out to a friend, and now I don't even talk to him anymore. I see it used in stores sometimes, and I actually bought mine used in a Pawnshop in Reno, Nevada(gambling city, like Vegas but smaller in the same state for those unaware). Not a greatest hits copy either. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Deathscythealpha
Jul 19, 2005, 04:55 AM
On 2005-07-19 01:35, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:
The store then proceeds to lay it out in the used bin section for $17, when they gave my lil bro $7 store credit.

Thats interest, its how the shops make their money. They will take it in for a certain amount, then add so much on top to make money from their purchase. £10 seems a wee bit to much for in store credit, I think £5 would have been a better mark up, but looks like they felt they had something on their hands and wanted as much possible.

However they are complete muppets for taking in a broken game without checking the disc.

Always check your games, thats what Ive learnt. As soon as you get it, look at the disc, if its buggered ask em to swap it over.

Devil May Cry 1 rare? Weve been swimming in them for ages at work, we nearly have as many copies of that as we do of Hitman 2 (And my saying is if we dont have Hitman 2 on PS2 the world will end).

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 19, 2005, 05:21 AM
On 2005-07-19 02:55, Deathscythealpha wrote:

Thats interest, its how the shops make their money. They will take it in for a certain amount, then add so much on top to make money from their purchase. ?10 seems a wee bit to much for in store credit, I think ?5 would have been a better mark up, but looks like they felt they had something on their hands and wanted as much possible.

However they are complete muppets for taking in a broken game without checking the disc.

Devil May Cry 1 rare? Weve been swimming in them for ages at work, we nearly have as many copies of that as we do of Hitman 2 (And my saying is if we dont have Hitman 2 on PS2 the world will end).

At least I put them through a few returns of hassle due to the game being broken and all! but the poor poor customers buying a rare used Parappa the Rapper only to find it broken. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif
When they finally look to see a broken game, disc completely clipped/cracked in one area-yet the disc is intact as a whole piece.

That Hitman 2 part was pretty good. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
Devil May Cry well, can be rare in certain areas is all.

PSO v2 DC was riduclously rare in my area post release(strange being a busy area with plenty of local gaming stores). So rare I had to pay full price at a store 30 miles away when the 4 other closer stores had it listed online as in stock and at less than half of full price; $20 USD vs $50.

But I went to each only to see that they didn't have it in stock and them saying sorry their website was wrong.

Kizaragu
Jul 19, 2005, 05:21 AM
I had a bad experience with a CD album I bought a couple years back.
We we're in the town center of this place 20 miles from where I live, Dropping some friends home.
I asked my parents to pull over quickly as I was desperate to get hold of an album quickly that I hadn't seen in my town, but had it on good word it was at this store.
Legging it in, I saw the album in question, rushed to the till and bought it. Something just wasn't right at the time and I couldn't put my finger on it. Running back to the car as the chorus of carhorns were getting louder, we drove home.
After closer inspection of the disc, It was scratched to hell and I'd just bought it new. Someone must of returned it and the store fobbed it off onto me.
To make matters worse, in my hurry to get to the car I'd left the reciept at the till accidentilly.

Crap. It skips on my favourite song too. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

InfinityXXX
Jul 19, 2005, 09:37 AM
I was out of town before and i bought Marvel vs Capcom 2 for the ps2 and when i opened it up it was cracked in the middle. It worked for one day and the 2nd day it never worked.(It froze up at the start menu) I never even touched it after the 1st time i played, i left it in thhe ps2.

SpikeOtacon
Jul 19, 2005, 09:54 AM
And this is why, ladies and gentlemen, the very reason why I do NOT purchased used games in any way these days.

Nothing worse than getting your hands on the ultimate rare game and end up not even being able to use it because some bratty 8 year old couldn't be bothered to take care of the game or the manual, both of which are missing chunks out of it. Most likely those chunks were being used for confetti as they celebrated leaving the store with the store credit they got, realizing that they ripped the store off, hence ripping you off.

echo-2003
Jul 19, 2005, 11:52 AM
I would like to point out that just becuase a disk may be spotless and have no scratches what so ever, that doesn't mean it work. I bought a used game (Ractchet and clank I think it was?) and the disk was perfect as far as the eye could see.

Well I get home, put the game in the PS2 and all I ended up with was a black screen. Weird I thought. I took it back and just exchanged for another game.

Kaio666
Jul 19, 2005, 10:10 PM
you do know for like 20 bucks you can get DMC at most store as a greatest hits title and save yourself some cash on a repair kit.

Eomer
Jul 19, 2005, 10:57 PM
You know, that's interesting.
No matter how good I've taken care of my games, stores refuse my trade-ins every single time.
I suppose this is because the guys at the store I go to remember that one time i brought in a bust-open NES cartridge held together with duct-tape, but aren't they supposed to make a fresh appraisal every time?

Blitzkommando
Jul 19, 2005, 11:51 PM
Man, things like this make me glad I live next to one of the few remaining Funcoland stores. Every time you purchase a used game they ask, "Would you like to make sure it works ok?" They have all the systems set up so you can test out everything beforehand. That is the way used should be. They even clean the cartriges before handing them over. Now the Gamestop on the lower level on the other hand...