PDA

View Full Version : Linked, or not?

Zelutos
Jul 27, 2005, 01:53 AM
Just a quick question:

Are the PS2 and PC servers linked for PSU? I've got a friend who wants to play, but doesn't have a PS2, and i was hoping him and i could play together. So i'm hoping the servers will be linked and we can play PC to PS2 because my computer would never support newer games ._.;;

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Jul 27, 2005, 02:27 AM
Only Sonic Team will tell in time.

I'm going to have to get PC PSU since I don't have a PS2 and the only thing PC wise standing in my way is a Graphics card. With PS3 comming out I thought it would have been a good idea to just wait untill that hits stores but I heard it didn't have back-playability.

rena-ko
Jul 27, 2005, 04:22 AM
according sony, the PS3 does not only play PS2 games but also PS1 games. surely not every single title, but most of it. however, its another question if you can access online content with a PS2 game on the PS3.

i think it also is still valid to quote ST on their claim that PS2 and PC version will use the same servers.

personally, i'm more interested if they'll seperate the servers internationally or not.

Zelutos
Jul 27, 2005, 11:53 AM
On 2005-07-27 02:22, rena-ko wrote:

personally, i'm more interested if they'll seperate the servers internationally or not.

don't say that, you just jinxed it http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

RoninJoku
Jul 27, 2005, 11:55 AM
I think (or hope) that all servers will be connected, both regions and systems... They had better be! I had glorious plans of finally playing the game with my brother (he on the PS2, myself on the PC, we don't have 2 capable versions of either), and also of progressing learning of my casual Japanese by playing with JP players... Hmm... But if they DID keep them all linked... I would imagine they would need to create different server worlds along the lines of say FFXI... And that would be dumb as hell! >.< Unless of course, they were nice and implemented a way to, you know... CHANGE SERVERS! >.<

Parn
Jul 27, 2005, 04:14 PM
They can do exactly what they're doing with PSO and still have multiple platforms play together in all different regions.

Rubius-sama
Jul 27, 2005, 05:09 PM
ST is a far way off from their original intentions of breaking international language barriers and uniting gamers across the world.

In one interview in 2000, Yuji Naka said that in ten years time, people will laugh at how inferior the PSO "Word Select" system is compared to the new ground-breaking language systems that will be available at the time. We've hit the half-point mark and looks like his predictions were quite flawed....especially when US/EU and JP players are being separated more and more.

Luce
Jul 27, 2005, 10:22 PM
I'm pretty sure the PC and PS2 servers will be connected. FF11 servers on ps2 and PC are connected so they probably will be connected on PSU . I also have a friend who will only be able to get it on PC.

Bot-Bot
Jul 27, 2005, 10:25 PM
In the EGM article on PSU it did say that the 2 servers will be connected, but that was a few months ago and things could have changed. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Reenee
Jul 27, 2005, 11:24 PM
A major development like that would've been noted already.

With that in mind, we must assume there is cross-platforming.

DarK-SuN
Jul 28, 2005, 01:28 AM
While I hope it will be cross platform (everything seems to indicate it will), I'm more worried about the region seperation like someone pointed out.

In FFXI, while it was cross platform, it had a region seperation: a US region and a EU+JP region (or so a group of friends told me who played FFXI, so please correct me if I'm wrong).

Hopefully they'll keep the regions joined, unlike PSOX (we can only blame Microsoft for that) and PSOBB (God knows, but I'd say we can blame certain parties who were hacking the Japanese PSOBB to the ground in the first few months of its release).

Reenee
Jul 28, 2005, 01:34 AM
Your friends must be racist or something because they are terribly, terribly wrong.

Oh, and they're not Square-Enix either.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reenee on 2005-07-27 23:36 ]</font>

RoninJoku
Jul 28, 2005, 01:57 AM
When I played FFXI, there were tons of Japanese players! Not to mention quite a fair share of people from assorted places I would have never guessed would have access to video games, let alone an online one...

Luce
Jul 28, 2005, 04:48 AM
the only thing separated on ff11 that i can think of is servers which u could buy a world pass to get to other servers

_Tek_
Jul 28, 2005, 11:24 AM
except in ffxi a world pass to another server meant you had to make a new character. It was strange how the restricted players that way, but I suppose with such a large community you'd have an equivlant to vega in pso, 10 times bigger though.

Reenee
Jul 28, 2005, 11:48 AM
Uh, no.

World Passes move your character to that server. It doesn't require a new one, which would CHARGE YOU to do so.

DarK-SuN
Jul 28, 2005, 12:21 PM
Then my friends were wrong, bad them; thanks for correcting that misconception I had.

Getintothegame
Jul 28, 2005, 01:32 PM
On the topic of linking them:

Why not link them? I'm having my doubts with all the cheating devices for the PS2. I don't know if you can do the type of things you could do on GC, or even Xbox, but I just think the time frame tells me its a matter of when PS2 PSU gets hacked.

Now, PC has nProtect, or at least, hopefully. PC will also have Patching. I don't know what ST will do if they need to patch the PS2 version, but how in the world will they do it with a small memory card?

Auronius
Jul 28, 2005, 01:47 PM
They can hopefully do most of the updates server side.

Reenee
Jul 28, 2005, 03:22 PM
Server-side anything = YES.

Parn
Jul 28, 2005, 03:27 PM
On 2005-07-28 09:48, Reenee wrote:
Uh, no.

World Passes move your character to that server. It doesn't require a new one, which would CHARGE YOU to do so.
Don't correct people when you don't know what you're talking about. World passes do NOT move characters to another server. When you create a character in Final Fantasy XI, you are assigned to a random server. World passes merely let you pick which server you can play on.

Square Enix has occasionally done a world shift which lets players move from one server to another, but these rarely occur and the player has no say in which server they get transferred to.

Zelutos
Jul 29, 2005, 04:29 PM
OKay okay okay, stay on topic folks. We're talking about PSU, not FFXI.

Anyways, if everything is saved server-side...does that not mean that hackers will be detected very easily and can be delt with quickly? I dunno, i'm just trying to get hyped up about being able to play PSU without hackers x.x;;

Eihwaz
Jul 29, 2005, 05:09 PM
Eh, I'd really rather prefer them to be seperate. =/

The PS2 version of PSU apparently doesn't use the HDD, so that would be quite a problem for patches (as several people have already mentioned). Further, PS2 is a console, with readily available cheating devices.

On the other hand, PCs have large(r) places to store stuff, so patching would be no problem at all. And, of course, with PCs, you can have programs like nProtect (which someone already mentioned), which has already been used on PSO BB.

And of course, communication. I'm sure they have PS2 keyboards, but I can't imagine too many people having them...

_Tek_
Jul 29, 2005, 08:29 PM
The software keyboard system on most online ps2 games is much better. instead of it bringing up a picture of a keyboard, you have the 4 buttons to use instead, in a web like design. It says here in my online startup disc that came with my pstwo:

Basically you get this sqaure of letters and certain buttons are linked to certain letters. EX:

Pressing triangle by itself would jsut be the "space" character. But then above that is a, b, c, and @. I think you hold traingle and use the left stick to choose one of those, then you let go of triangle, and you get what you had selected.

So / neutral is "spac"
/+up may be @.

It could be much faster than GC pso was once you memorize it all. Might not even need a keyboard.

This is all speculation.

Zelutos
Jul 30, 2005, 12:29 PM
Regarding the keyboard, i'm lucky. When i bought mine for PSO, it came with this little adapter for each system, so i've got it for everything [including PC].

What i'm hoping they will have for PSU is the voice chat feature. Well..that is...if your playing with mature people who don't scream into the microphone @.@ Oh! Oh! You should be able to select who you wish to hear on voice chat by having them on your allow list. And people you don't want to hear, just stick them on your deny list.

Uh.....yeah http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

_Tek_
Jul 30, 2005, 02:27 PM
Voice chat could be fun! I'm betting that will be the communicaion tool of choice. I believe more ps2 online players have headsets comapred to keyboard.

Uncle_bob
Jul 30, 2005, 02:39 PM
Voice chat? Oh god no...It sounds great in theory, but some voices just don't need to be heard. EVER.

Zelutos
Jul 30, 2005, 06:23 PM
On 2005-07-30 12:39, Uncle_bob wrote:
Voice chat? Oh god no...It sounds great in theory, but some voices just don't need to be heard. EVER.

Why do you say that? Do you not find my voice sexy and seducing *wink*

Rubesahl
Jul 30, 2005, 07:27 PM
I hate voice chat, I'm too shy and for some reason ppl never understand what I say ^_^; May have been my slow upload speed at that time...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rubesahl on 2005-07-30 17:27 ]</font>

Parn
Jul 30, 2005, 07:40 PM
Voice chat huh? I can assure you that it's not a great option at all.

Don't believe me? Click here and listen (http://wowseriousbusiness.ytmnd.com/). Fowl language warning.

_Tek_
Jul 30, 2005, 08:42 PM
But that's hilarious!

Cynric
Jul 30, 2005, 10:13 PM
On 2005-07-30 18:42, _Tek_ wrote:
But that's hilarious!

I agree, that made me rofl in real life. XD

For PS2 I don't know how voice chat is currently handled, but for the PC version you could just use Teamspeak or Ventrilo. You can easily mute anyone you find annoying, as that sound clip showed.

shinobu_seta
Jul 31, 2005, 01:32 PM
I'd prefer the ability to voice chat to not be implemented myself. Where on GC PSO you had chat symbol spam, on XBox you had voice spam, where people would just run through the lobby screaming.

Also, I'm really pretty shy myself, -_-

Zelutos
Jul 31, 2005, 02:06 PM
On 2005-07-30 17:40, Parn wrote:
Voice chat huh? I can assure you that it's not a great option at all.

Don't believe me? Click here and listen (http://wowseriousbusiness.ytmnd.com/). Fowl language warning.

that guy sounded like he was just having a bad day http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

But, hilarious indeed XD

Uncle_bob
Jul 31, 2005, 02:28 PM
Now just imagine that clip's intensity and length being multiplied by 10 times. And then imagine having to deal with that several times a day.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Voice chat won't work.

However, I loved the calm dude's attitude. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_bob on 2005-07-31 12:29 ]</font>

_Tek_
Jul 31, 2005, 03:41 PM
As long as there is a function to mute others, then its perfect! Of course as long as we still get the bubble chat as well.

I would really want both.

Rubesahl
Jul 31, 2005, 03:49 PM
On 2005-07-31 12:28, Uncle_bob wrote:
However, I loved the calm dude's attitude. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_bob on 2005-07-31 12:29 ]</font>

omg yes XD

Anyways, having both options is a good idea. For those who like voice chat, it's great but I honestly don't like it for many reasons:

I'm shy

I don't like playing and having ppl hear me talking. Especially talking english and we talk spanish in my house lol

Connection-wise and sound quality has always been a problem for me. Ppl usually don't understand me while I have a hard time understanding them. My english isn't perfect afterall http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif