PDA

View Full Version : Dial-up Support for PS2?

MuroDaisuke
Jul 27, 2005, 12:32 PM
Do you guys think that this game will support dial-up? I really hope this is the case, because getting my PS2 setup for a broadband connection will be way too expensive for me. I'd need to get a wireless router, wireless bridge adapter, and a wireless network card (for my computer). That seems like too much money for me. Dial-up would MUCH easier. So what do you guys think?

_Tek_
Jul 27, 2005, 01:09 PM
Start buying now? You got until febeuary 2006.

But I guess they want broadband only since the online world in PSU will be more real time and fuller.

Blitzkommando
Jul 28, 2005, 12:43 PM
There is another option if you want to keep broadband to the PS2. Powerline Ethernet Adapters. I have one myself. It is far cheaper than wireless and uses the powerlines within your home to transmit the data.

Here (http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833314402&CMP=OTC-Froogle&ATT=BELKIN+F5D4070+Powerline+Ethernet+Adapter) is one at newegg.com. There are a whole slew out there. If you currently have broadband this is a cheap alternative to wireless. I hope this helps. If you want to search for more just search for "Powerline ethernet adapter".

Getintothegame
Jul 28, 2005, 01:24 PM
Wow, that powerline adapter looks pretty good. I had a wireless adapter but it recently got fried in a lightening storm.

On topic, I'd say with Blue Burst (attempting) to be Broadband only, looks like that might be the case. But thinking of PSO with Dial Up, it's similar in that it's sufficient to play with 4 other players with little lag.

Fossil
Jul 29, 2005, 04:54 AM
I didn't even know PS2 supported dial-up.

Nash
Jul 29, 2005, 08:16 AM
Going broadband only lets them do a lot more than if they had to support dial-up, and lets them get rid of some of the limitations PSO had.

PSU is going to be a completely new experience, and broadband is part of that. I want to see them try and do as much as possible with the game, and not be limited.

Rubesahl
Jul 29, 2005, 10:17 AM
Why wireless? o.o you could just use ethernet. PS2 (old one with adapter and new one with it already ) has an ethernet port right? If it does you only need to get an ethernet cable and connect it to your modem. usually modems now are routers too so you can probably have your PC and PS2 at the same time.

And yes I preffer PSU to be more broadband oriented. Truth of the matter is dial-up really does limit how much content you can download. Plus I hated PSO with dial-up. Picking up items would take forever -__-; not to mention players would often disappear in front of mr way too often. And what about the traditional glitch of a teamate turning in those small corridors in caves and gets stuck while turning. So many times I waited and then suddenly he was halfway through the stage lol But I do feel bad for people without broadband. It's already turning to something much more accessible so let's hope it won't be that bad http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Reenee
Jul 29, 2005, 11:56 AM
EDIT-I swear I was in another thread.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reenee on 2005-07-29 09:59 ]</font>

Eihwaz
Jul 29, 2005, 05:13 PM
On 2005-07-29 06:16, Nash wrote:
Going broadband only lets them do a lot more than if they had to support dial-up, and lets them get rid of some of the limitations PSO had.

PSU is going to be a completely new experience, and broadband is part of that. I want to see them try and do as much as possible with the game, and not be limited.

I agree completely. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

I know some people still use dialup, but it would be pretty disappointing to have to deal with huge, extraneous amounts of lag. I know I might sound a bit insensitive, but I used to have dialup as well. :3