PDA

View Full Version : My adventures of getting Xbox Live.

Hrigg
Jul 28, 2005, 03:12 PM
For some unknown reason, my parents let my brother and I get xbox live. Why? I don't know.

The first thing we did was go out and get the starter kit. We went to several stores, including Gamestop and EB games, and no one had it. After about 2 hours of looking, we went into Wal-Mart and found one. I could have just walked up there to get it, but no... my brother had to go to the game stores. =/

The second thing we did was order a router and ethernet cable off of eBay. After about a week of waiting, both arrived on the same day. We tried connecting it but, wait! WE GOT THE WRONG EFFING CABLE! My brother got a cross-over ethernet cable so we couldn't get it then.

The same day we ordered a straight-through ethernet cable. The delivery was delayed, and we had to wait about a week and a half to get it. We got it yesterday, fed it through the wall to the xbox, and entered our IP addresses. Now we have to configure our router, so we enter the 192.168.1.1 into our url and the thing pops up. Little did we know, we configured it wrong. We then rush down to our xbox to see if it works. Everytime we recieved the same error. DNS error. We tried hooking it up straight into the modem. We enter the PPPoE stuff. It works. We get our computers DNS Addresses.

Now, should be a nice happy ending. But it's not. I go up to the computer to enter the 192.168.1.1 number into our url. IT DOESN'T WORK! The page comes up dead, and it has since 11 Am (CT) today. It just doesn't want to load. We've tried rebooting, resetting the router, but it doesn't load.

</end of rant>

Any advice?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hrigg on 2005-07-28 13:12 ]</font>

Rageous
Jul 28, 2005, 03:17 PM
*gives out your ip address*

umm...try the bungie.net forums, usually DNS problems arise from either putting your domain, ip, subnet in wrong or just simply your domain being down

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rageous on 2005-07-28 13:19 ]</font>

Hrigg
Jul 28, 2005, 03:19 PM
The thing is, I know what to do... I just can't do it. It's very frustrating.

Scrub
Jul 28, 2005, 03:34 PM
Yea, Xbox Live is a complete and utter bitch to start up. =|

Try calling your internet provider, or if they're dicks and won't help, the Xbox Live support thing. :3 Worked for me.

Solstis
Jul 28, 2005, 03:39 PM
I can't really offering routing advice without being physically there. I can never tell what people are blabbing about online. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Yeah, check out Microsoft's FAQs, or their guide to connecting and setting up a router.

Getintothegame
Jul 28, 2005, 04:54 PM
Maybe, just maybe, your router's number has changed to something like 192.168.0.1?

Check it under Status > Support. Whatever number is under Default Gateway is the one you must use.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2005-07-28 14:55 ]</font>

Hrigg
Jul 28, 2005, 05:42 PM
On 2005-07-28 14:54, Getintothegame wrote:
Maybe, just maybe, your router's number has changed to something like 192.168.0.1?

Check it under Status > Support. Whatever number is under Default Gateway is the one you must use.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2005-07-28 14:55 ]</font>

It has not changed.

I checked under status support, under Local Area Connection, but there's a blank spot after Default Gateway. =/ Anyway to put one in?

Arislan
Jul 28, 2005, 08:22 PM
IP for the Gateway should be your router IP.

So, something like...

IP: Somethin something. 192.168.1.101 should work.
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Router IP)
Sunet Mask: Likely 255.255.255.0
DNS servers: Get em from your computer.

Hrigg
Jul 30, 2005, 01:31 PM
On 2005-07-28 18:22, Arislan wrote:
IP for the Gateway should be your router IP.

So, something like...

IP: Somethin something. 192.168.1.101 should work.
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Router IP)
Sunet Mask: Likely 255.255.255.0
DNS servers: Get em from your computer.

We have the Gateway and stuff all fine, but even with the DNS from the computer it won't work.

<rant>

I GONNA KILL YOU DNS!! YOU'RE GONNA EFFING DIE!!!

</rant>

This has given me so many freakin headaches...

anwserman
Jul 30, 2005, 01:52 PM
On 2005-07-28 13:34, GreyPhantasm wrote:
Yea, Xbox Live is a complete and utter bitch to start up. =|

Try calling your internet provider, or if they're dicks and won't help, the Xbox Live support thing. :3 Worked for me.

Actually, X-Box Live is a breeze to set up when you have a correct network installed.

Basically, do this:

Hook modem directly into router.
Have router auto-configure with the modem.
Have the router do DHCP, DNS, etc. automatically.

Plug in and enjoy.
The router will DHCP an address out to any computer/device in your network. That way, you don't have to worry about manually configuring anything - just make sure the router works with the modem and vice versa. Plug your X-Box into the network, turn it on, and viola! it shoujld be able to connect to the internet.

X-Box Live is just a service exclusive to the X-Box, much like online messaging on the computer. Once you get all the equipment connected to the internet, X-Box live setup is a breeze.

You have an infrastructure problem, not X-Box Live problem. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif