PDA

View Full Version : FF Game Music Issues

Nidarrock
Aug 20, 2002, 01:09 PM
Why is it that every Final Fantasy game has crap quality music. What I mean is that they all sound like they should be on NES or SNES, not the new systems out there. I remember the first time I played FF VII, first RPG since Dragon Warrior(NES), and only seconds after the nifty intro I see Cloud and company jump off the train and beat up some guards, and nearly threw up when I heard the sound when Cloud(I think it was Cloud) kicked the guard. Then I noticed the quality of the music, it was horrid. I thought the music was well written but when you compare Aeris's theme from the game to the orchestrated version, you'll never like the game music again. I thought it would stop after VII but VIII did more of the same, slightly better, with the begining and ending music in full orchestra being the exception(which are GREAT!!!). The reason I bring this up is because I was recently listening to tracks from FF XI and it's more of the same, intro is good but the rest is not the same quality. To me video game music is VERY important, and when it doesn't hold up it can wreck the experience.

Rouge Leader on the GC is another example.

ABDUR101
Aug 20, 2002, 01:16 PM
Game music is important to push along the story, to put the gamer into the game world, and to increase emotional feeling while playing.

If the game music sucks, I usually play through it once with the game music, and any time after that I'll turn on some music on the comp as I sit here and play X-box, DC/whatever other system.

"Japanese Punk" by Hi-Standard is a great song to play during SFA3, Capcom vs SNK, and any other fast paced game =O

Lloyd
Aug 21, 2002, 07:28 PM
If you want a rpg with good game music, I'd suggest you play Lunar 1 and 2. Final Fantasy is there for the graphics. There is almost no game with better music then Lunar 1 and 2 in my opinion.

Rylios
Aug 21, 2002, 08:33 PM
FF isn't Bad It different for all people

SorceressofTime
Aug 25, 2002, 10:46 PM
Well people have different opinions on game music. With me, I happen to _like_ the FF7 and FF8 music, however I played it when it came out and I still like it because of that time.

With what everyone else is saying, game muic is essential for the gamer because it brings the moods and feelings into the game - which make it better.
*lol* Okay, let's put it here, if I bought a game that had high-tech, state of the art graphics and it had dodgy music, ill hate the game for THAT reason. How can you concentrate in a game when the music is shitting you up the wall?

Guile
Aug 25, 2002, 10:49 PM
haha yeah I know what your saying...the music sounds likes its being played on a kids piano

and most of the songs sound the same just with an extra note in it....

but its all good

Nidarrock
Aug 26, 2002, 12:51 PM
I do like alot of the Final Fantasy Songs, I have the soundtrack for VIII, but I just feel the "quality" is bad. It may just be some sort of software/hardware limitation. An example for that would be the new GBA Castlvania game, Harmony of Disonnence,(spelling?) they said they had to sacrifice music quality for better graphics. I wish Square could do the opposite for FF. Look at Chrono Cross & Vargant Story, the quality of the music is sooooo much better. It actually sounds like real music.

merlin
Sep 16, 2002, 07:31 PM
And there you have another nice feature about the XboX.

Don't like the soundtrack? Change it to your own music.

I generally turn the music off....unless it's an RPG. Yes...I agree whole heartedly with the person who mentioned Lunar's music. Spectacular. It fits and enhances the game. It's funny.....but we were just commenting tonight on why the hell EA decided that rap music was perfect for the new Madden game? When I think of pro football, I ALWAYS think of rap music....NOT!!!

One of my personal favorites for overall sound and music is Shenmue.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 27, 2002, 03:18 AM
I'll never forget FF3/6's uplifting beats, melodies, and opera scores.
Most of the good songs came with the game itself on a stand alone CD.
(FF Anthology released in like 1999)

Yes, music should always help further the plot, fit the situation, enhance the gaming experience.
FF's music is sometimes the highest quality in their genre. They do however re-mix old tunes way too much to the point where they aren't new at all and sound dated no matter if its remixed.

CorneliusPower
Oct 27, 2002, 03:48 AM
I certainly agree, Mr. Hayabusa, aka Gaiden, FF music scores are on the lines of compsong in epic proportions, I feel Nobuo Umetsu is the John Williams of the video games composers, as you may know already John Williams does recycle bits of his old scores from previous Star Wars movies, I feel when Nobuo or Williams generate the old mix, it brings back a little magic of an old tale told before! Peace.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CorneliusPower on 2002-10-27 01:51 ]</font>

CorneliusPower
Oct 27, 2002, 03:52 AM
Well what Nobuo Umetsu's true intention on the FF 7's score and SFX's was to give die-hard FF players a heart-warmed feeling that this is truely an FF game. Whether it sounds like crap or not, i think its the composers true intention to put it that way. Sounds like an unappreciated emotion towards the FF ambience and orchestral score from you guys. You have to realize this is a game that originates from Japanese culture, there is absolutely nothing wrong with FF7, 8, 9 and 10. 10,by far the best masterpiece in the FF saga to date. Well that's my 2 cents.....reply, if you wish peeps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CorneliusPower on 2002-10-27 22:51 ]</font>

CorneliusPower
Oct 27, 2002, 03:58 AM
Right on, Merlin! I like Yuzo Koshiro's work. Dating back to the genesis system, some of his best work is in the "Streets of Rage" series, mainly the 1st one, "Revnege of Shinobi" on the genesis was a good score as well. SNES titles like "Actraiser" and "Super Adventure Island" as well, Yuzo is a a great video game composer, Shenmue his latest work is brilliant. Yuji Naka on Sonic Team seems to have found a good composer as well for his games, "PSO" and the "Sonic" games, and let's not forget "Nights"! That's my 2 cents! Peace.

BlackRose
Oct 27, 2002, 10:21 PM
I like the music in FF. But I like the music in most games... the only exception that comes to mind is the Fire Temple in Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Repetitive to a fault.

CorneliusPower
Oct 28, 2002, 01:56 AM
Blackrose, are you going to buy the new Zelda for the Gamecube? Maybe a dumb question for you considering you played Ocarina of Time on the 64, but still it strikes an interest to me, that you played Zelda. Vey addicting. Peace.

BlackRose
Oct 28, 2002, 09:45 AM
I probably won't buy it, but i'll play it at friends' houses.

Nidarrock
Nov 5, 2002, 08:42 PM
I generally agree with you if that was the composer's desire. But with so many other games having high quality scores, I just feel that the FF games should step up and show how great the scores can be without having to make it sound like it's a soundtrack from a 16-bit system. Listen to some of the tracks remade with a FULL orchestra, to me it sounds a thousand times better. My point I guess is I think most people know Final Fantasy by now so it's time to let the music be "upgraded". As I said I have the FF VIII soundtrack and play it a lot. I grew with games starting with the NES & Sega Master System all the way up to todays systems. I have tapes(yes tapes) of recorded tracks from those 8 bit and 16 bit games, and I think they are as great as some songs today. I'm almost done here just one more thing. I'm also a major movie person and while the Final Fantasy games tend to look and play out like movies I think the score should match. Star Wars' soundtrack would not be as great if it sounded like it sounded like a midi track. Ok I'm done for now. To each his/her own.

Topazfalcon
Nov 22, 2002, 02:43 AM
On 2002-10-27 22:56, CorneliusPower wrote:
Blackrose, are you going to buy the new Zelda for the Gamecube? Maybe a dumb question for you considering you played Ocarina of Time on the 64, but still it strikes an interest to me, that you played Zelda. Vey addicting. Peace.

I know it is kinda off the original topic, and not dirrected to me, but... How many people here saw pictures of how the new Zelda game was suppose to look? I am dissapointed that they have made it all cartoony looking. My friend and I figure that if we rent it, we are going to play it drunk http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif It went from looking awsome to omg look at this crap. Is just my opinion and that of a few of my friends. If you like they way it looks, please don't be mad at me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

hollowtip
Nov 25, 2002, 02:33 AM
I totally disagree. Although FF's music might not be the best quality -crystal clear- wise, the flow of the music and the overall emotion that comes out of it is awesome. Each track is substancially different and they emote several different appropriate feelings out of you. Battles are upbeat and keep you in the action, while exploring gold saucer makes you feel like your a kid in a carnival or fair (what a coincidense). Most of the RPG's I play don't usually do this, taking me out of the mood and reminding me that I'm just playing the game.

I could see if you were more of a classical music fan that you would dislike FF's music because most of the tracks don't sport tradtional instramentals, but to say they just suck is plain ignorant.

You can't tell me the Crystal Prelude and the track that plays in City of the Ancients suck. or how about the Tactics opening?

Nidarrock
Nov 25, 2002, 12:13 PM
Well I'm pretty sure I did not say the music sucked. I like many songs from the FF's I've played and I think the intro song to XI is very good. I just was disappointed when the rest of the songs did not sound the same. Gone was the orchestra and in came the 16-bit audio. It's the same in in Rouge Leader on GC. When a piece of William's score did not match the scenario or in the main menu the music sounded like it was from the 16-bit era. It in no way wrecked the game but threw me off for a bit and I could always notice the change while playing.