PDA

View Full Version : Karen :o

Uncle_bob
Aug 13, 2005, 02:05 PM
If she is 17, shouldn't she look a lot older than she does? Since she's a newman, and they've got that excellerated aging thing going on. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Or is Uncle missing something?

Nai_Calus
Aug 13, 2005, 03:31 PM
I was wondering that myself, though Newmans don't seem to really be consistent between PS/PSO/PSU(Or even necessarily within the same series, since Karen looks older than Mirei).

Nei and Rika both reached maturity within a year and apparently would have continued aging at an accelerated rate and would have been rather old within just a few years, but Elly on the other hand in PSO doesn't look more than around, say, 22, and she's clearly at the very least 3 or 4 years old, though we have no way of telling for sure. (Backup for this statement - Seat of the Heart Sue subplot version, where she tells Cal that the city she was born in was destroyed.)

I wonder if all PSU newmans just look alike, or if Karen and Mirei are related somehow. Kind of odd that they BOTH have purple hair.

adamgnome104
Aug 13, 2005, 03:33 PM
Well, the water planet in PSU is home to Newmans, so I'm pretty sure there's a lot.

The purple hair might be a throwback to Nei. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Or a common newman haircolour, like blond is for humans.

Nai_Calus
Aug 13, 2005, 07:00 PM
Pssh, everyone knows that blue is the common human haircolour. (Actually, I'm pretty sure there are more Bluenettes than Blondes in PS.)

If the newmans have purple hair as a reference to Nei, it's incredibly lame. PSO has enough stupid empty references to PS as it is. The cutesy planet name similarities in PSU have already made me roll my eyes enough. When do we find out about the mysterious fourth planet of the Graal solar system? 9_9

rena-ko
Aug 13, 2005, 09:13 PM
4th planet... a surprising future onlinequest http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

and.. arent most female NPCs in PSO blonde?

Getintothegame
Aug 13, 2005, 10:04 PM
I remember most NPCs hair color in PSO being Brown.

Anyway, I really like how this game is turning out. Can someone translate the descriptions from the PSU character page for us?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2005-08-13 20:05 ]</font>

Omega_Nova
Aug 13, 2005, 10:07 PM
Mirei was the Original Karen. I remeber reading somewhere that she underwent redesigning after the initial preview clip (which is why we only saw Mirei in the original video clip until now, and why Karen appeared after the original video clip)

As for the age acceleration thing, there is not much to say, Sega has messed around with Newmans as a race to the point where anything logical can be throwen out the window.

Nai_Calus
Aug 13, 2005, 10:20 PM
PSO:

Irene - Blonde
Rico - Red with bluegreen streak
Guild Clerk Ep1 - Blonde
Guild Clerk Ep2 - Blue
Nurse - Reddish brownish
Momoka - Dark blue
Elly - Brown
Nol - Dirty blonde
Delta - Dark blue
Tool shop clerk Ep1 - Brown
Whichever shop clerk is female in Ep2 - Blonde
Natasha - Red
Chick by door to VR field - Purple
Karen - Blonde
Rupika - Blue
Sue - Pink
Alicia - Blue
etc, too lazy to list ALL of them.

Eh, not really, not even in PSO. And I didn't just mean girls, either. XD (I was also talking about PS, not PSO. XD)

Let's see, blondes and blunettes in PS(Sticking to more major named NPCs, rather than including such entities as 'PSII Tool Shop Clerk'(Blue) and 'Random Esper #29,299,991'(Blonde)).

Blonde:

Odin
Rudo
Anna
Tyler
Laya
Adan
Crys
Gwen/Laya
Rulakir
Chaz

Blunette:

Noah/Lutz
Nero
Rolf
Kain
Neifirst
Rhys
Maia
Ayn
Rune
Kyra
Saya

Mind you, you can pad both sides by saying Myau has blonde fur and that Motavians(Gryz, Pana, Dorrin) count as Blunettes by virtue of being covered in blue fur. You can make the blondes win by including the characters in PSIII that have pale yellow greenish hair(Lune, Alair, Aron, Kara). XP You can also go with the 'Lutz is not Noah' theory and give the Bluenettes another member...

DarK-SuN
Aug 13, 2005, 10:26 PM
We all know they grow at an accelerated rate, but we're never really told if they keep growing at that same accelerated rate once they reach their teens; they may actually grow older at a much slower pace once they're fully grown.

So far I like all the character designs, they're fresher, more dynamic and more detailed, IMO.

Split
Aug 14, 2005, 11:16 AM
in one quest(maybe Black Paper?), Sue was in the corner of Pioneer 1 near the bank, musing about how a newman's life span is indefinite. So maybe if a newman is born and it turns out his/her lifespan is going to be around the same as a human's, than they'll grow at the same rate as a human too. Just a thought.

_Tek_
Aug 15, 2005, 12:28 AM
That's what I think too, but I can't seem to find my post on that, it must have been in another topic.

anwserman
Aug 15, 2005, 03:16 AM
Eh.

It is just Sonic Team screwing around with the PS mythos. However, since these aren't true PS sequels, they decided to take liberty with how things work in the PS universe.

Anyway, most of these people nowadays that are going to play this game probably don't even know PS1-4 even exist.

kazuma56
Aug 15, 2005, 03:28 AM
^ indeed, not many will even know about the accelerated growth rates that newmans have... who knows, PS in general usually has the dramatic character deaths (those that are mostly female for some reason) so maybe Karen might have some weird growth spurt and die or something leads to her death. ATM she seems like she's the Alys and ethans the Chaz despite their age(s).

EricG
Aug 20, 2005, 02:43 AM
I do believe that episode 3 revealed that newmans could take an anti-aging drug that prolongs their life to normal. Maybe Sue was on it and was worried if it would work or not since it was new. Also, I think if humans take it they get younger and eventually die from being too young.

SubstanceD
Aug 21, 2005, 02:02 PM
Please forgive my ignornace on Numans if I say somthing stupid.

On 2005-08-14 09:16, Split wrote:
in one quest(maybe Black Paper?), Sue was in the corner of Pioneer 1 near the bank, musing about how a newman's life span is indefinite.

I defenetely remember this line from PSO even though I haven't done any of the quests in PSO in ages. Maybe Numans are semi immortal, once they reach a certain age they stop growing or ageing. Last I heard, they were gentetically engineered race ( that's if I remember correctly ) so there is no telling what has ben done to thier DNA.

Sharkyland
Sep 12, 2005, 04:20 PM
On 2005-08-13 12:05, Uncle_bob wrote:
If she is 17, shouldn't she look a lot older than she does? Since she's a newman, and they've got that excellerated aging thing going on. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Or is Uncle missing something?

Accelerated aging or not... there is one specific point you are missing. Apparently while making this new race, they are able to increase the 'body aging' process. Instead of being born where you start as a baby. You can actually release them at any age you desire.

Though the process on how this is done is still something I really don't know. Usually time is a factor for something like this to happen, but I guess with the ability of able to warp they can produce this type of stuff.

As for intelligence, it is possible to actually teach someone a gigantic information to someone, or do various things like dream enhancing technologies or have a place where they can 'jack' in, like Matrix and learn information via through there.

So interesting, but so hard right now the technology we have right now.

---

(spoiler)
Dunno if you played Episode III, but the point where Kranz dies. He is cloned and how were they suppose to reconstruct him so fast? Of course when you joined the government, you had a chip set in your brain and they would have these 'checks' where they would record that information.

_Tek_
Sep 12, 2005, 04:29 PM
Its all in the photons, everything scientific relates to photons, in the PS dimension.

Anyways, speaking of psu hotties, who's this other girl on the right?
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/615/615097/phantasy-star-universe-20050517094517320.jpg

I checked the PSU site for her sillohuette, but it wasn't there. I've seen all the characters in the famitsu scans, and all of those shadows match up to each. Does anyone know? I think that she has a sweet jacket anyways. Overall awesome costume.

DarK-SuN
Sep 13, 2005, 01:02 AM
Either another character that will join up (but unmentioned) or a placeholder for Karen before they had her design complete.

Para
Sep 13, 2005, 08:54 AM
I do not recall Newmans being semi immortal...
infact as I recall... Sue in PSO said that Newmans can die any time so their ages are questionable.

Either way... Karen's hot http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

PrinceBrightstar
Sep 13, 2005, 12:51 PM
Makes me wonder if that whole thing between nei and neifirst is true. That every newman has a clone and when that clone is killed, the other dies as well.

Sharkyland
Sep 13, 2005, 06:29 PM
Dammit, I feel so stupid!

I was talking with one of my friends last night, and he enlightened me on how you can age quickly. Though probably with the right conditions you would probably incubate the person being born/created in what we should say a type of serum that provides food, nutrients, energy, as well as waste destroyers so it doesn't pollute the tank as much. Well one way we can do is wait for the meosis (cell division) to stop then focus on the 'stuff' that makes the cell going into mitosis (another type of cell division).

Though the tank would be heavily monitored by probably nano machines to destroy any unhealthy mutations like cancer or any genetic defects.

---

As for memory while the cell division is taking it's course, I'm guessing there would be chip to actually give some information to the non socialable interaction of the world and teach them some basics. Though the person who is creating them could be giving the information on what they need to learn and what not.

I thought I just wanted to clarify that a bit.

Para
Sep 13, 2005, 09:36 PM
On 2005-09-13 10:54, Jonathan_F wrote:
Makes me wonder if that whole thing between nei and neifirst is true. That every newman has a clone and when that clone is killed, the other dies as well.

thats ridiculous... well scientifically it sounds ridiculous... but then again this is phantasy http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Dre_o
Sep 13, 2005, 09:41 PM
thats ridiculous... well scientifically it sounds ridiculous... but then again this is phantasy Rediculous indeed and as the final line says, it is Phantasy star, It leaves plenty of room for discussion and speculation for a purpose.

________
cannabis news (http://potwire.com)

OdinTyler
Sep 28, 2005, 01:49 AM
For the record, newmans get screwed on their age. Sue said 'a newman's lifespan is not definite' & its been shown throughout PS history that newmans do not have a long life. They have unstable DNA & that may contribute to why they have a short life. They accelerate to 'adulthood' quickly & unfortunately, its all downhill from there. I think their creators made it as a failsafe device if newmans suddenly turned on their creators or something like that.
Its like the old saying goes "The flame that burns brightest...um...burns quickest?" Sorry, its 3am I cant remember the exact quote but you get the idea. Long ago it was explained that newmans are a cross between biomonsters & human DNA. I hope the new beast race is explained. If each of these 3 planets is predominantly 1 race or another, Id like to see how this all gets pieced together. Btw, before I get to play PSU, I dont have Episode III or IV, is there any new info thats revealed about newmans (or anything plot-wise, for that matter)?

Kent
Sep 28, 2005, 08:41 AM
At this point in the Phantasy Star timeline (if even applicable, that is) it could be that some enhancements were made, to make Newmen age at a similar rate to humans.

Kupi
Sep 28, 2005, 09:27 AM
Link (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/634/634270p1.html)

From this early IGN article, I'd have to say that the Newman race of PSU barely resembles the Newmen of the Genesis series and PSO. They're a stable race of their own; just modified to be mentally stronger than humans on average. I doubt they age any differently than humans (though they might die a bit sooner due to physical frailty).

The Beasts are basically Newmen in the other direction. They began as humans modified using animal DNA for increased physical performance. At first, they were supposed to be a working class, and then branched off into the dominant race of their own world.