PDA

View Full Version : Crash and Burn

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Aug 14, 2005, 03:39 AM
Terrible, terrible work day.
Reminded me of all the reasons why I need to quit as soon as possible.

I came in to work with about 5 hours of sleep, due to my own fault, so no sympathy there. I had an 11 hour workday ahead of me from a last second schedule change due to the newest store opening. So 6 days in a row of work, when I planned on catching up on my sleep on a day off, which I didn't get. Today will be bad, being semi-awake and having to do more than everyone else.

It was slower than usual, and a lot slower than when I first started at this job, but I couldn't handle today's workload.

The person next to me is one of our newest workers, and has been pushed to work at least 9 hours a day the last 3 days. I can understand why he would be tired, but don't understand why he didn't lift a finger to help me.

Suddenly customers flood the store and order a lot of food, all at once. My ticket reel is suddenly filled 12-14 tickets, with more on the way. A large catering tray is ordered on the spot first and I get to work on that.

I fill the tiny deep fryer with 30 pieces of chicken, then 4 orders of fries are ordered sequentially. The fryer is already overflowing with not much space to rotate the food as is(2 baskets), but I have to do my best to fit everything in there. Then seafood is ordered, compounding the pressure.

I'm trying to calculate cooking times in my head and priorities as new orders are still coming in and I'm literally running back and forth in a 3 foot radius.

As soon as my co-worker finishes his plates for the food to go in, he settles down and relaxes, folding over one arm on the countertop area.

WTF.
I don't care if you're new, if you're slow, if you have anything else wrong with you, its just common sense to help me! I'm running back and forth and you're standing there! Very fair, guy. Way to work as a team.

The cashiers start asking me if order #'s are ready as the customers are getting impatient, understandably as I look at the first and last ticket reciepts and there's a 10 minute(and growing gap). I answer back with a "they will be ready soon, please give us a few more minutes."

They ask again, and I don't have time to think, let alone breathe, and say back "I'm moving as fast as I can." It would have been nice if someone can help me, me trying to be superman over here and everyone else making it harder than it has to be. Are they blind? Please give me some slack.

I grab a large tray and try to do too much at once, to save time. A piece of the chicken from the deep fryer lodges snugly in my wrist. It hurts like hell but my hands are full, and I can't attend to it yet.

I rush to get the tray down and see that some skin from my wrist has melted off from the insanely hot oil. I have all these orders to do still so I just go and wash my hands/wrist with cold water and some dishwashing soap.

I'm trying to wipe my wrist down as I work as the pain hurts every few seconds. Then someone comes around to ask about a customer wanting to return a a large order she hasn't even picked up yet and has yelled about it over the phone. I need to scream, my wrist feels like it is dripping, but I hold composure to say calmly what I think we should do.

Boss isn't around, we proceed to see if he has left his cell phone this time, and then call him to hurry back soon and talk to the customer since this is a $60 order and has already been made/has been waiting over an hour for pickup/pay.

As soon as my boss gets back I ask him if he we have burn cream(we have before) and show him my wrist. He says we don't, but he'll let me walk over to the drugstore/pharmacy to buy something for my burn.

I then find my belongings in the back and see that in my haste in the morning I forgot my wallet/money. Just the time and place I need it, I don't have it. I have to sound whiny/making excuses by saying to my boss: "I'm having a bad day, and this is embarassing-I left my wallet at home, may I borrow some money to buy some stuff?"

He tosses me a $20 and I walk over to get some stuff, which was more expensive than I thought it would be. I thank him saying I really appreciate it, when I get back.

My wrist:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/HAYABUSA-FMW-/Eh/ae137e4b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/HAYABUSA-FMW-/Eh/e5a2b788.jpg

He leaves again and it slows to a crawl. I'm still working consistently, knowing every which way I look there is something running low/missing/empty/will not be filled by anyone/will not be cleaned by anyone but me.

Rest of the workers have such a great time when the boss is out, eating ice cream they find in the freezer. Laughing. Having fun. Not doing their jobs, since no one is around to tell them to- and they don't care to do them anyway. Only enough to get by. I have to pick up the slack.

I'm carrying two trays of heavy things with more on top of them back to the kitchen when I look down to see my co-worker didn't refill something-even when its empty?! Then, no thank you of course, and later hands me more things when I take initiative to remove his mess.

Spanish speaking guys. As soon as they got into work today they tell me in Spanish, thinking its funny: "Hey fucking Mickey Mouse, you fucking queer!" "Shut your mouth, Mickey!" This is all they joke about, F-you, gay, f-you queer, to everyone-not knowing one thing about anyone.

I've been hearing this for at least the past 2 months. I cuss right back at them in Spanish and English, flipping them off. Blowing up, scaring our co-workers who speak English as a first language. So they're the only people who talk to me, thinking its funny to walk all over me like this.

Later one guy starts hitting me from behind, trying not to hurt me, but bother me. I'm carrying something to be refilled immediately, an order is in for it. He forces me outside, since I don't feel like fighting/resisting, and closes the door.

When he opens it minutes later, since nobody else came to open it, I can't take it anymore, I throw the tray at him. Push him around. He's bigger than me, but damn you don't mess with people like this. I've had enough of a day already.

I get back in the kitchen and lo' and behold of course the chatting jerks didn't go to the back, start the order-get what was needed and the order is later than usual.

I hate myself for blowing up, for cussing and flipping people off. I hate them more for pushing me to this breaking point, knowing they could walk over me and I would take it, and if it affected me, who cares?

I write a sincere note on my time card to my boss, asking for a two week notice rather than quitting on the spot. So by the time my birthday rolls around, I won't have to work in this hell hole one more minute.

I should have been fired today, and at least a few others should have too. If the boss was around to see all this, we would be long gone. We're all stupid at this job(especially for what happened today), but some of us are more stupid than others.

Its not fair, they won't talk me out of quitting this time. I'm not going to stay any longer and have worse things happen to me or because of me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2005-08-14 01:49 ]</font>

navci
Aug 14, 2005, 12:00 PM
Your co workers are jerks. We already know that.
Have you asked the new guy to help you out though? Sometimes I know it is obvious that you need help, but if you ask for it, maybe he will realize that oh, he is supposed to be working here, not slacking off.

But man. *hugglez* You really did have a bad day. You do need to get out of there.

InfinityXXX
Aug 14, 2005, 12:25 PM
Grrrr,Hayabusa, If i lived in the city you were in, I would go up to your job and whoop all those guys asses. And for the new guy, you should've grabbed the piece of chicken and knocked him upside the head and said "Help!" lol j/k about the chicken part.

But Im glad you quit. I'm not even there but as i read the description you give us of the job, It sounds REALLY stressful and stress kills. I feel that you should work at a job that makes you happy.

You really did have a bad day. Burnt wrist and then taking crap from other employees. Those guys speaking to you in spanish are retarded. Usually when you have people mess with you and you haven't done anything to them, there jealouse and are insecure.

As of right now, go to the radio and play "Dust your shoulders off" by Jay Z and dust your shoulders off, Your better than everyone at that job.