PDA

View Full Version : Driving Adventures!

PJ
Aug 14, 2005, 11:51 PM
Let's start off with a mental note. I am afraid of cars. Driving a car does not help me deal with this. :l

So, let's start with the beginning. Yesterday, my dad took me out for driving in Markham (A small city just outside Toronto). It was fine, and this was my first driving on the road in an actual city (I've had my licence since New years eve). That was just me and my dad, so despite his, "Not so close to the side!" random scary yellings, it was fine. I made it out alive with only one other car honk at me.

Now, today, my dad had me drive home from church, which the concept itself was intimidating; I live a good distance away from my church, and I'd have my brothers in the car with me.

One brother was just, "You're not driving home, get out of the front seat." The whole time until my dad came. And another brother was a back seat driver the whole time.

Second mental note: I don't like turning. Going out of the church parking lot was less difficult then I had imagined though, so I was fine. Although at the beginning, I stayed behind a TTC bus, easy, then it had to turn to it's stop. It's the law to yield to the bus, but it was not fair of the bus to put on it's signal when I was beside the bus, so I had to WAIT for you to go by me first. Not to mention, my dad saying, "Go!" but not to me, to the bus, didn't help (My dad needs to learn that the bus driver cannot hear him).

Third mental note: When I am given a direction, I don't think of the others, I think of the one I am given. Another church on the same street has a bunch of cars parked on one side of the street, it's normal, every sunday it's like that. So, I have to change lanes. No duh, I don't need to be told that. But of course, my dad tells me anyways. My thoughts? "Oh, I guess that means he checked the way for me." So I change lane. "Did you check your mirrors first?" "Of course not, you told me to change lanes!" I ddin't hit anyone, but I was close.

Fourth Note: If I know the path, remind me of any changes you've made, "For my convenience," beforehand, so I don't start freaking out. My worry? A point where we had to take a left turn. My dad's solution? A longer way around. Well, basically, all this accomplished was keeping a bad driver on the road longer, but atleast I didn't have to make any left turns. @_@

So yeah, I guess this is less of a rant and more of a, "My scary driving experience." I mean, nothing actually went wrong. My family is just not good to have in the car with me http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

InfinityXXX
Aug 15, 2005, 12:04 AM
I feel you. I thought I'll never get my liscense just like you I hated driving and i was a bit scared.(I hated turning)

But when you start to drive by yourself you become better at it.(You don't have your parents breathing down your neck watching you)

Lol about the part with your brothers in the car.(siblings are really annoying when you drive, especially when your getting use to it)

navci
Aug 15, 2005, 01:11 AM
Ya. Driving with dad is always unplesant, especially if your dad is a yeller. And non supportive siblings should be tied in the front of the car.

I can't really imagine PJ driving. XD

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Aug 15, 2005, 01:29 AM
Well the more practice you get at driving a car, surely you will get better at it.

Mom: "You can't just get behind the wheel and start driving!"
Me: "Then why are trying to give me lessons after work?"
Mom: "Well you have to have a lot of practice, like months and months worth."

-_- Yeah. I understand completely.

I need to get off my ass and get the damn license. I went to only get an ID card to start working and did the license written test as well, since I was already there. Missed 1 question, since I'm good at tests and sat around for hours reading the driving manual they have at the DMV.

Worked 2 years, didn't take driving class lessons/go back to the DMV to take the driving test, permit expired. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Kaio666
Aug 15, 2005, 01:33 AM
thats a real bummer, driving can really be stressful when you dont do it very much. luckily i got my license on my 18th bday and i was just so tired of walking or bumming rides by then (even by permit time) i couldn't wait to drive, had a few scares, but live and learn. hope things go better in the future.

Saiffy
Aug 15, 2005, 07:26 AM
On 2005-08-14 23:11, navinator wrote:
I can't really imagine PJ driving. XD

That's what I said! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Well PJ, you know what I think about this...And you've successfully proven to me your brothers can be some of the worst I'll ever have ranted to me. But your dad obviously has faith in your driving abilities, so you just gotta do your best to ignore all those little distractions.

And despite you saying nothing it wrong, heads up! It's almost time to leave for your vacation!