PDA

View Full Version : WTF?! Thats my controller

Oplem
Aug 22, 2005, 11:14 AM
The same problem most guys have with girlfriends. The lacking of interest in video games.

Now, if my girlfriend doesn't like video games, that is swell for her. I don't care because, well I don't like half the things she does.

But this is where I draw the line. A few days ago, I had a bunch of my friends over having a bonding moment with a bunch of gamers. One happening to be a girl who liked games. Now she called and asked if she could come over, and I explained that well, we were playing games and I couldn't kick everyone else out just for her. She said she would come by and chill with us.

The moment she arrived she was complaining about how there was another girl here. Well. Yeah. She likes games!

So after a while of laughing, joking and playing our game, Kim gets furious. That everytime she talks, no one pays attention because we are absorbed by the game.

This lasts a few more hours before everyone leaves. We had a blast, everyone joking and bidding goodbye and see you next week Oplem, you know the drill.

The only one not happy, is Kim. Who is standing there furious, and red in the face. Being me, I laugh it off, hand her a pop and ask if she wants to vs me in a game.

Kim didn't think it was funny. Infact, she picked up a control, ripped it out of the game consel-thingie and threw it down, screaming at me.

Now, I've ever seen her get so pissed off! It scared me so I told her to leave untill she could respect what I do. And she left, but kicked the control into the wall on her way out.

And now my controller is broken.
And Kim is calling me right now. She wants to hang out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oplem on 2005-08-22 09:15 ]</font>

Scrub
Aug 22, 2005, 11:19 AM
So....you have a girlfriend whom doesn't respect your property, hobbies, or friends?:/ Please don't get too offended, but sounds like you got a real winner there.

If ANYBODY broke one of my controllers, I'd flip out.-,-, Especially since my controllers are ALWAYS broken and when I have a working one all I do is play, haha.

Maridia
Aug 22, 2005, 11:39 AM
Well, while I think you should have told your girlfriend there was another girl there, I think she overreacted, and should have not gone over in the first place if she knew you were all playing a game. Laughing when she was angry was probably not the best course of action, but geez, she didn't need to break your controller. I hate to admit, I would probably have been jealous of the other girl, if I was in your girlfeidn's shoes. Myself, liking games but not FPS games, would feel jealous if I was at a gathering with my boyfriend and there was another girl there who was awesome at them. I would definitely feel jealous and probably very left out.

Point is, you need to consider all that and try to be sympathetic to her feelings. You DID laugh at her when she was very angry and obviously frustrated. Maybe you need to have a serious talk about it with her, see if you can get her to see why you like games so much, or at least respect it, so some arguments don't happen after this. Even with all that, I don't think she needed to break your controller though. That was just losing her temper. Still, it got you to notice her, didn't it? *shrugs*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maridia on 2005-08-22 09:48 ]</font>

Skorpius
Aug 22, 2005, 11:44 AM
On 2005-08-22 09:14, Oplem wrote:
The moment she arrived she was complaining about how there was another girl here.

Kim gets furious. That everytime she talks, no one pays attention because we are absorbed by the game.

The only one not happy, is Kim. Who is standing there furious, and red in the face. Being me, I laugh it off, hand her a pop and ask if she wants to vs me in a game.
You disrespected your girlfriend. You didn't tell her there was another girl there, you ignored her, and when she was OBVIOUSLY angry, you laughed in her face.

Some girls don't like other girls around their guy, especially ones that have the same interests as their guy. As amazing as it may sound, she was obviously jealous, and concered. You should have told her you were having a gathering, and that there would be another girl there. That's just simple respect, really.

I'm pretty sure you and your friends were ignoring her and having a BLAST playing whatever video game you were playing. She sits with you all, not knowing what's happening. She wants to be with you, but is an outcast, and gets aggrivated from the frustration of not being a part of something you enjoy.

When she makes her feelings of anger apparent, what do you do? Laugh at her and treat her like a child (lol have a pop!). THat's just downright mean. Laugh it off? Your girlfriend was mad, you put everything else down and talk to her. She's more important than you video games or friends. She acted like most non-gamer girls would. Not saying that she needed to throw your controller down, but it was apparently the only way she could get your attention.

She acted like most non-gamer girls would. = Frustrated at how someone could value a video game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2005-08-22 09:53 ]</font>

Scejntjynahl
Aug 22, 2005, 12:09 PM
Find something you both can enjoy and take time to that one thing. Fortify your relationship, show her you are making an effort to be with her. This way she will not feel like you are drifting away from her because she can not like what you currently like at the moment. How would you feel if she has a hobby you dont like, but there is a guy that does like her hobby and shares time with her to do so?

Jealousy never helped anyone, in the end it never really does. But if you can avoid situations where jealousy may arise, why not do so?

Oplem
Aug 22, 2005, 01:09 PM
Perhaps I should have brought this to your attention abit about Kim.

Kim knows Brandi, the chick who was over at my house, who also happens to be a lesbian. Kim adores Brandi, but always gets furious that Brandi likes video games more then shopping ((I have no clue...))

Now when I wasn't playing, I would talk to Kim. But she does indeed know that once a week me and the fellows,plus Brandi get to together to hang out and play the games.

She knows this because the rest of the week is spent hanging out with her and her friends at the mall gossiping about the other girls...well I carry her bags and look like a complete moron for being ignored when she is with her friends.

Such a love love relationship?

As for laughing in her face, I just chuckled. Which, I realized I shouldn't have done, but damnit she does it all the time and thinks its "cute..."

Kim and I have a strange relationship. She expects me to adore everything she does. Including dragging me all over the mall with her friends..but when I talk or crack a joke I get glared at. And she hates any sort of video games. Although she does try to attempt at Zelda because its "cute"

Mind you this is the same girl that almost cried when I said there was Halo 2. She despises that game with such a passion.

But I love her. And she bought me a new controller to say she was sorry. And we made up. Yey!

hollowtip
Aug 22, 2005, 03:15 PM
On 2005-08-22 09:44, Skorpius wrote:
[quote]On 2005-08-22 09:14, Oplem wrote:

When she makes her feelings of anger apparent, what do you do? Laugh at her and treat her like a child (lol have a pop!). THat's just downright mean. Laugh it off? Your girlfriend was mad, you put everything else down and talk to her. She's more important than you video games or friends. She acted like most non-gamer girls would. Not saying that she needed to throw your controller down, but it was apparently the only way she could get your attention.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2005-08-22 09:53 ]</font>

Well, the only thing I think he did wrong was chuckle when she was obviously upset. I would be more understanding of her anger if he actually invited her over but she basically invited herself over knowing that he was involved in an activity that she despises. Just from how he explained the situation, it seems like him and his friends get pretty absorbed into what ever they're playing and she needs to be a little more tolerant.

Sure his girlfriend is the most important thing in his life, but he made obligations to his friends before his girlfriend. If this was something more serious (he embarassed or verbally abused her or she was emotional because something significant happened in her life) while he was doing this activity then she has justification for being angry.

Oplem
Aug 22, 2005, 03:26 PM
Thanks hollowtip. Its just like how she and her friends get absorbed in shopping and gossip. Its crazy..they get in the "zone" of shopping..

Watch out. Crazy girls on lane 4..

KodiaX987
Aug 22, 2005, 10:57 PM

Kill her.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/Shurikane/immediately.jpg

Skorpius
Aug 23, 2005, 12:12 AM
On 2005-08-22 11:09, Oplem wrote:
Kim and I have a strange relationship. She expects me to adore everything she does. Including dragging me all over the mall with her friends..but when I talk or crack a joke I get glared at. And she hates any sort of video games.
That's not strange. That's normal.

With the new information, you make it sound like she has no respect for you. You two are not compatable, which is why there is much friction. Find a new mate.

It really is that simple. If you and your companion are compatable enough to work out, then you wouldn't be making rants on a web-forum.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2005-08-22 22:15 ]</font>

Oplem
Aug 23, 2005, 01:53 PM
Aye that is true. I suppose my time with her is running short. But i can't help but feel upset for all the good times. But then I remember the controller and feel like turing into the Hulk!

Jason
Aug 23, 2005, 02:19 PM
On 2005-08-23 11:53, Oplem wrote:
Aye that is true. I suppose my time with her is running short. But i can't help but feel upset for all the good times. But then I remember the controller and feel like turing into the Hulk!

Yet she bought you another controller, which you'll be using in your hands. If you two will break up, not only you'll feel upset for all the good times but you'll be having the reminder of her with this new controller.

Spankster
Aug 23, 2005, 03:12 PM
The only thing to do in this situation is to have lots of mindless rampant animal sex.

Or apologize.

:D ?

Scejntjynahl
Aug 23, 2005, 03:13 PM
On 2005-08-23 11:53, Oplem wrote:

What more do you want? She bought a new controller, and apologized! Damn it, stop been a baby and see the effort that has been put into the relationship. So you have a bump, and your oh so precious piece of crap controller got broken! BOOO HOOO HOOO. Its material crap and easily replaced. But a broken heart in a store it can not be bought. Shees man, let it go, get past it, be mature. She got mad, broke a controller, you got mad, she apologize replace what was broken... seems shes a bit more mature than you at the moment. pfft... turning into the hulk... bah. If you want to end the relationship because you dont feel the same for her as you used too, say that, not this idiotic event of a broken controller.

<I sound angry, and perhaps I am. So I am sorry if I get under your skin, but I still believe in what I posted and are currently too busy to soften it up>

navci
Aug 23, 2005, 03:19 PM
This thread is why some of you will not be able to hold a relationship, or keep a girlfriend, or keep a friend, for the rest of your lives, until you learn respect, and empathy.

Some wise man/woman once said
"Marriage isn't a canned food that you can just grab from the shelf and enjoy whenever you want, and put it back whenever you don't feel like it. It takes lots of maintainance, effort, mutual respect, and letting go of selfishness."

Same with just about everything else that involves another human being.

Until you realize that, you don't deserve to have friends, or girlfriends, or anyone that care about you.

Get your priorities straight.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: navinator on 2005-08-23 13:21 ]</font>

Solstis
Aug 23, 2005, 03:32 PM
Believe me, if I was being ignored for several hours, something other than a controller would be broken.

When dating, you sacrifice your time to enjoy each other's company. She probably could have done something far more interesting than watch you play games, but decided to stick around anyway in hopes that you would pay attention to her.

The situation, though, does seem silly on both ends.

EphekZ
Aug 23, 2005, 07:17 PM
On 2005-08-23 13:32, Solstis wrote:

When dating, you sacrifice your time to enjoy each other's company. She probably could have done something far more interesting than watch you play games, but decided to stick around anyway in hopes that you would pay attention to her.

That an what navi said are the only things that were actually true in my opinion

But you guys are together happy this thread should be closed as there is nothing else to say

"we made up!Yey!"

so yes have fun everybody! good night

AzureBlaze
Aug 24, 2005, 01:12 AM
Violence toward objects is a step in the direction of violence toward animals and humans.

Anger that reaches a point of property destruction or abuse (regardless of ownership) is not under control.

Use caution.

Oplem
Aug 24, 2005, 11:36 AM
On 2005-08-23 23:12, AzureBlaze wrote:
Violence toward objects is a step in the direction of violence toward animals and humans.

Anger that reaches a point of property destruction or abuse (regardless of ownership) is not under control.

Use caution.

Yeah. I know.

So anyways, I bought a new controller and gave hers back to her, she said she can give it to her brother for a gift ((since his too is broken. >.>)).

She understood that I felt really bad, and stuff, but I couldn't keep the controller. It made me feel even wrost. So now I am teaching her how to be good at the games she does sort of like, for they are "cute"

Thanks..

bye..

Outrider
Aug 24, 2005, 11:55 AM
On 2005-08-23 13:19, navinator wrote:
This thread is why some of you will not be able to hold a relationship, or keep a girlfriend, or keep a friend, for the rest of your lives, until you learn respect, and empathy.

Some wise man/woman once said
"Marriage isn't a canned food that you can just grab from the shelf and enjoy whenever you want, and put it back whenever you don't feel like it. It takes lots of maintainance, effort, mutual respect, and letting go of selfishness."

Same with just about everything else that involves another human being.

Until you realize that, you don't deserve to have friends, or girlfriends, or anyone that care about you.

Get your priorities straight.

But can't you say the same for his girlfriend? If she expects him to be the silent golem that carries her bags while shopping with her friends, should she really get upset if he wants to hang out with his friends?

I'm simply saying that I think she should try and understand that it's not all about what she wants. It was unfortunate that she came over when he was getting his gaming on, but she did know previously that he already had it planned. Obviously, ignoring her was bad, but he tried to make up for it.

I'm really gonna have to side with Oplem here. Sure, he wasn't perfect, but his girlfriend is the one who comes out as controlling in this situation.

Personally, I would try and work on that if I were you, Oplem. Just let her know that just because she dislikes you playing games, it's something that's a part of your life. It's probably just like how she gets so worked up about shopping and gossiping and you simply don't feel the same way.

Couples always have interests that they don't have in common. It's just a problem when someone makes a big deal over it when there shouldn't really be an issue.

navci
Aug 24, 2005, 12:14 PM
On 2005-08-24 09:55, Outrider wrote:

But can't you say the same for his girlfriend? If she expects him to be the silent golem that carries her bags while shopping with her friends, should she really get upset if he wants to hang out with his friends?

I never said that she isn't being a prick, either. Just that, she did apologize, bought him a new controller. But all he is still screaming about is how he can't stop thinking about his controller. So, obviously there is something a little more prioritized there.

And they obviously need to talk.
A LOT. It just seem like he doesn't really care where this is going anymore.

Scejntjynahl
Aug 24, 2005, 12:34 PM
On 2005-08-24 09:36, Oplem wrote:
So anyways, I bought a new controller and gave hers back to her, she said she can give it to her brother for a gift ((since his too is broken. >.>)).

That was a great line. Till you had to mention the other controller... had to have the last word eh? No need to further enhance on the fact that you are trying to portray her as a wrecking machine of controllers. That whole sentence would have been awesome without the "since his too is broken. >.>" bit.

She understood that I felt really bad, and stuff, but I couldn't keep the controller. It made me feel even wrost. So now I am teaching her how to be good at the games she does sort of like, for they are "cute"
Thanks..
bye..

And this is what we call, communicating and compromising. Good, finally, some progress. This does not mean that it will save everyone's relationships, but it does get rid of the bs that sometimes happen that can be easily avoided.

Like I said before, she at least attempts to enjoy some of your hobbies, even if its only for the reason of "cuteness", don't belittle the attempt.

And if you dont like feeling left out while your been a "golemn" carrying her stuff while she is shopping... why dont you do some shopping yourself? I mean, your there already, no? Or take something to entertain yourself, ipod or something. Or or, heaven forbid... participate in her shopping experience? Like oh my god, what an idea! YOU: "Hey, I heard there was a sale at the store you like to buy etc etc, want me to take you? We can then hit the movies if you like afterwards blah blah blah" That my friend is showing effort. Make it happen, try your best. And if in the end it still ends bad, you can at least have the satisfaction that you tried.

Outrider
Aug 24, 2005, 01:52 PM
On 2005-08-24 10:34, Scejntjynahl wrote:
And if you dont like feeling left out while your been a "golemn" carrying her stuff while she is shopping... why dont you do some shopping yourself? I mean, your there already, no? Or take something to entertain yourself, ipod or something. Or or, heaven forbid... participate in her shopping experience? Like oh my god, what an idea! YOU: "Hey, I heard there was a sale at the store you like to buy etc etc, want me to take you? We can then hit the movies if you like afterwards blah blah blah" That my friend is showing effort. Make it happen, try your best. And if in the end it still ends bad, you can at least have the satisfaction that you tried.

I think it would definitely make things worse to bring an iPod or whatever. The whole point is his girlfriend wants him to be spending time with her, not just tolerating her. Also, I don't think he should shop just because he's out because it'll make things easier on the situation. Shopping costs money, plus it's idiotic to "shop just for the sake of shopping." If he needs something, then obviously that's a great situation, but I get the feeling that this is not the case. Screw the actual shopping. It's a dumb thing in the first place.

As for the "making her shopping experience better", yeah, that's a good idea. But as for planning things to do after shopping... that's really an entirely different situation, isn't it? I guess it could help, but that seems to me to be more along the lines of "easing the tension for a few minutes while we discuss something else" instead of actually finding a way to enjoy what's going on.

hollowtip
Aug 24, 2005, 02:02 PM
If it was me, I would have just taken the replacement controler and just dropped the subject. I don't care if you cheated on her and she found out, breaking another person's property is unacceptable, and the right thing for her to do was to replace it.

It's not the controler itself but the principle of the situation. I have a pet peeve with people who trash other people's property on account of their anger, its a sign of immaturity and selfishness.

CSKA_Sofia
Aug 27, 2005, 01:14 PM
Still, I think your girlfriend overeacted)) Ofcourse you were wrong for not paying her attention, but she should not have reacted in the way she did. She apologized, so I'd just relax about it now.

The main lesson learned here is to never invite her over when you are playing videogames with your friends!)))

Oplem
Aug 27, 2005, 09:00 PM
>.>

Oh. Thanks guys.

Good points. Bad points. All around.

Her brother's controller was broken because of a soda accident, I'm not sure of the details, nor does it really matter.

We have been trying to work out the differnces in our interests. We went shopping together, one on one and actually had a good conversation. Also, Kim is pretty good at Zelda, for a beginner.

Yesterday I had another game session with friends. Kim came over again. And actually took part in it and made some new friends. Hooray.

All is well. Thanks for the comments and such.

Daikarin
Aug 28, 2005, 01:55 PM
Well, why not do something everyone agrees with, next time? There's a whole array of options. You should leave videogaming for when you have that option, for when everyone likes it. It's kinda lame to leave someone out, so if it were me, I'd find something to do with her.

But then again, you DID tell her you would only play videogames, and she still went by. When she threw down the controller, she acted like she was furious for not getting attention. Still, no offense, but that's a spoiled reaction. You should tell her that, and also because controllers have their price.

Not being friendly also has its price, sometimes.

Outrider
Aug 28, 2005, 07:09 PM
Actually, it sure sounds like things are going better. Glad to hear you guys aren't at odds anymore.

Oplem
Aug 28, 2005, 07:34 PM
Thank you.

We are doing pretty good now. But, she ate all my cookies. ;_;

Monomate
Aug 29, 2005, 08:56 PM
The opinion of the All Powerful Monomate:

Sounds like you need a new girlfriend...

honestly...sounds like she treats you like crap.

She knew you were gaming, and she put herself into a situation she knew would make her miserable, and then blamed it all on you (and broke your controller, an integral piece of a gamer!)

It sounds as if she expected you to drop everything and focus on her. And when you didn't, you continued doing what you were doing before she got there, she got upset. I find that to be pretty ridiculous.

Whoever I am with at the moment takes priority over someone who calls and wants to hang out. If whoever I am with at the moment and the person who called are cool with hanging out, it's all ok, but if the person who called gets all upset because of the person who I was with first, then I would straight up tell them, "Look, he/she/it was here first, we accommodated you because you wanted to hang out, so don't be pissed at me, we did something for you."

Yeah...plus she broke your controller...and that is something you do not do to a gamer...

Especially since this girl obviously ignores you and uses you as manual labor often enough in her own right...sounds like your relationship sucks...

For a long time I kept my girlfriend and my gamer friends separate...but I realized that games being as big a part of my life as they are, I would have to bring the joy of gaming to my girlfriend...and that I did...in the form of...PSO! and now she and I and my gamer friends play PSO together pretty often, and she borrows my Gamecube all the damn time and plays herself. However, she understands that I still need time with my friends without her, and she doesn't get pissed off when I'm hanging out with my friends and playing things other than PSO...and if she decides to come over, she doesn't get mad at me for being ignored (except for one time...which is a different situation altogether...), because she realizes that she doesn't have to be there, and that we are accomodating her...(besides that, she finds our idle banter amusing...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Monomate on 2005-08-29 19:05 ]</font>

Scejntjynahl
Aug 30, 2005, 11:48 AM
This thread has kind of served its purpose. Monomate your a bitlate http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Seems Oplem has found a happy medium with Zelda. And his girlfriend did replace the controller. Live and learn. Tis was a good experience for both of them.

BogusKun
Aug 30, 2005, 02:17 PM
On 2005-08-22 09:14, Oplem wrote:
The same problem most guys have with girlfriends. The lacking of interest in video games.

Now, if my girlfriend doesn't like video games, that is swell for her. I don't care because, well I don't like half the things she does.

But this is where I draw the line. A few days ago, I had a bunch of my friends over having a bonding moment with a bunch of gamers. One happening to be a girl who liked games. Now she called and asked if she could come over, and I explained that well, we were playing games and I couldn't kick everyone else out just for her. She said she would come by and chill with us.

The moment she arrived she was complaining about how there was another girl here. Well. Yeah. She likes games!

So after a while of laughing, joking and playing our game, Kim gets furious. That everytime she talks, no one pays attention because we are absorbed by the game.

This lasts a few more hours before everyone leaves. We had a blast, everyone joking and bidding goodbye and see you next week Oplem, you know the drill.

Kim didn't think it was funny. Infact, she picked up a control, ripped it out of the game consel-thingie and threw it down, screaming at me.

Now, I've ever seen her get so pissed off! It scared me so I told her to leave untill she could respect what I do. And she left, but kicked the control into the wall on her way out.

And now my controller is broken.
And Kim is calling me right now. She wants to hang out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oplem on 2005-08-22 09:15 ]</font>

get a wireless controller? with rubber grip/stubs to protect from breakage. HAHA! I'm messing with you.

But what's ultimately cool is, you have a girlfriend.
Most women tell me "im cute/handsome/sexy" but if I were I'd have a girl with me now bugging my cell phone. I don't for some reason (well the married chic who is trying to get a divorce is on my testicular sacnbawls now).

If a girlfriend or any other girl who is not related to me break my controller... I will do some things to her against her will. hehehe... If my name was Ted Bundy (not to be confused with Al Bundy from Married With Children)

Oplem
Aug 31, 2005, 02:15 PM
Bogus-dude, I could totally hook you up with teh ladies. Naha.

Kim has a bunch of friends, who are more sweeter then her. But she would kill me if I said that. >.>

What you need is a gamer girlfriend. But not one that could destroy you in a game, those always suck.