PDA

View Full Version : You do not have to beat Offline in order to play Online.

Zelutos
Aug 26, 2005, 06:29 PM
Well that's not true...thank god. I don't know if this has been covered or not, but here's a quote from http://www.1up.com :

In fact, you can switch between playing online and offline whenever you want (it was rumored that PSU would require you to finish the single-player story before letting you go online, but that's not true). So while Ethan is doing his own thing in the single-player game, you'll be zipping around the Internet with some pals killing things-in fact, you'll even run into references about what Ethan's up to. Both the single-player and online modes will retain the Online series' fast-paced Diablo-style action-RPG mechanics, and the small fee you'll need to pay every month for the online mode translates into new monthly content courtesy of Sega. In fact, Sega is considering adding new quests and items as frequently as every week.

So yeah, don't worry about having to beat Offline before you do online, because it seems that, like in PSO, you can switch.

Oh yeah, notice the thing about the fee http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Here's the whole article:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3142313&did=3

EDIT: Title edited for clarity

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2005-08-28 16:57 ]</font>

Reenee
Aug 26, 2005, 07:24 PM
Well that's not true...thank god.

Then don't mislead people. Change the thread title.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reenee on 2005-08-26 17:24 ]</font>

_Tek_
Aug 26, 2005, 08:32 PM
Of course its not true, that's a rumour I've also thought about, but I thought it was rather funny to imagine.

Zelutos
Aug 26, 2005, 09:05 PM
It was brought up in my team thread, so i thought i would look it up.

MechGryphon
Aug 26, 2005, 11:10 PM
That would be horrible, if the offline mode is really 40-50 hours. >.< The title scared me. Atleast the post was about it being false.

anwserman
Aug 26, 2005, 11:12 PM
the small fee you'll need to pay every month for the online mode translates into new monthly content courtesy of Sega. In fact, Sega is considering adding new quests and items as frequently as every week.

That right there reminds me of PSO. Weekly for about an eight-week timespan, and afterwards the game becomes an afterthought... until they release V2 to milk more money from you.

Zelutos
Aug 27, 2005, 02:15 AM
On 2005-08-26 21:12, anwserman wrote:

the small fee you'll need to pay every month for the online mode translates into new monthly content courtesy of Sega. In fact, Sega is considering adding new quests and items as frequently as every week.

That right there reminds me of PSO. Weekly for about an eight-week timespan, and afterwards the game becomes an afterthought... until they release V2 to milk more money from you.

i wouldn't worry about it toooo much. I think Sega is really into this game and will keep to their word of weekly updates and whatnot..i hope @.@

Fanta
Aug 27, 2005, 10:42 AM
On 2005-08-27 00:15, Zelutos wrote:
i wouldn't worry about it toooo much. I think Sega is really into this game and will keep to their word of weekly updates and whatnot..i hope @.@

For how long?

I read about the rumour and didnt think it was true, but it might of actually beena a sensible idea. I plan on playing offline first and then going online so I have an idea of what Im doing. I believe someone else on PSOW is alos doing this, as I read it in another PSU thread.

MechGryphon
Aug 27, 2005, 08:39 PM
The key word here is considering. Weren't they also 'considering' with PSO?

_Tek_
Aug 27, 2005, 09:01 PM
consideration=failure aparently

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 28, 2005, 12:54 AM
I hope the "consideration" of linked servers proves not true, simply for the reason of a patched vs unpatched game. Sorry guys, but this is exactly like blizzard. One is patched and kept secure, the other, open and free to attack.

_Tek_
Aug 28, 2005, 02:04 AM
The only way sony would make another hard drive for pstwo would be if the estimated sales of PSU were enourmous.

DarK-SuN
Aug 28, 2005, 03:50 AM
I don't care about patch VS unpatched to be very honest.

The fact the game will be server side and will surely prevent AR like PSODC did (yes, it worked offline, but if you went online with something like that activated you were screwed; PSU is server side for the online portion, so if you hack offline it doesn't change a damn thing for the online game) makes it pretty safe, since a PS2 isn't like a PC where you can start tinkering with the game in window mode with lots of neat memory searching programs.

Considering this, it may be easier to screw up the PC version than the PS2 version, since only the ones who REALLY know what they're doing will be able to hack anything with the PS2 version; that'll be like 1% of the PS2 population, the most that can happen is that 1% spread around some dupes, which won't go that far anyway.

The PC version, on the other hand, will be easier since GameGuard and stuff like that can be bypassed to allow external programs to access the game's memory space and analyse it; why do you think there's some cheating in PSOBB?
It's not because Sonic Team isn't doing a good job, it's because of GameGuard's inherent flaws, something Sonic Team has no control over.

Too many critics pointing fingers and less understanding of what makes things tick causes people to say this and that without actual proof.

If they play their cards right, the PS2 version is pretty safe, since AR code detection is entirely dependant on Sonic Team (something they can instantly fix if they put some effort into it); the online portion is at least 100% safe from being affected with offline created items which was the biggest plague of PSODC, PSOGC and PSOX.
I'd be more worried about the PC version's protection to be very honest, since they'll be forced to release a new patch everytime there's an exploit to alter the way memory addresses work and have GameGuard on the look out for that particular exploit.

Added note: In case people are wondering, I'll be getting the PC version since my PC can surely handle it (it can handle PSOBB with every setting maxed with no slowdown, so it should also handle PSU, with or without maxed settings).
I may only get the PS2 version if I can use the PSUPC account with PSUPS2, meaning I wouldn't have to be paying extra to have them both online; good for when I go on vacations and can't bring my PC along, the PS2 can come along all the time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarK-SuN on 2005-08-28 01:56 ]</font>

_Tek_
Aug 28, 2005, 11:37 AM
On 2005-08-28 01:50, DarK-SuN wrote:

Too many critics pointing fingers and less understanding of what makes things tick causes people to say this and that without actual proof.

Exactly. Its a shame we have to play online with people like that.

Eihwaz
Aug 28, 2005, 11:57 AM
On 2005-08-26 17:24, Reenee wrote:

Signed for truth. >_>;;

Zelutos
Aug 28, 2005, 12:38 PM
On 2005-08-28 09:57, Eihwaz wrote:

On 2005-08-26 17:24, Reenee wrote:

Signed for truth. >_>;;

I added "Rumor" before it. God.

Uncle_bob
Aug 28, 2005, 02:24 PM
On 2005-08-28 10:38, Zelutos wrote:

But earlier you said it's not true. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Eihwaz
Aug 28, 2005, 06:21 PM

There's a huge difference between an unconfirmed rumor and a rumor that has been proven FALSE. Your topic title is still misleading. -_-;

Ryna
Aug 28, 2005, 06:58 PM
On 2005-08-28 16:21, Eihwaz wrote:

There's a huge difference between an unconfirmed rumor and a rumor that has been proven FALSE. Your topic title is still misleading. -_-;

Problem fixed. Let's get back on-topic.

Eihwaz
Aug 28, 2005, 07:09 PM
Yay. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Anyway, I'm very glad the game is set up like this. That way, if you get bored/stuck in the offline story mode, you can hop online and ask for help, or just hunt some monsters with friends or whatever.

Split
Aug 28, 2005, 07:14 PM
Diablo style? .....no.....

Reenee
Aug 28, 2005, 09:17 PM
On 2005-08-28 17:14, Split wrote:
Diablo style? .....no.....

PSO has a Diablo style. Anything unlocked offline becomes available online, but not the other way around. IRONY.

_Tek_
Aug 28, 2005, 10:00 PM
Instead of playing through offline to gain access to online, we pay sega a monthly fee to get online.

Reenee
Aug 29, 2005, 12:20 AM
Uh...what?

_Tek_
Aug 29, 2005, 12:29 AM
What do you mean what?

Ryna
Aug 29, 2005, 09:12 AM
On 2005-08-28 22:29, _Tek_ wrote:
What do you mean what?

That pretty much summarizes the path this thread has followed. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif