PDA

View Full Version : Beef with server side saving-can they incorporate client sid

plasmacutter
Aug 28, 2005, 06:14 AM
One thing I like about PSO is it does not have server side saving.

I'm not a huge RPG freak partially because of server side saving, and the fact that I for one consider it equally threatening to players as hacking. In essence, they hold your data hostage for a monthly ransom.

Let's say you've been playing for 4-6 months. You've invested a great deal of time in your character and found many rares through countless hours of toil.

Then, some ST beaurocrat loses a piece of paper and BAM.. your account is cancelled and your file is erased?

How about all you student gamers? What happens when you receive a sudden demand in extra fees, or perhaps the shoestring income is stretched too thin one month?

As for security... at least there is something immediate you can do to prevent/repair damage when you're hacked on the gc version. If exploits are found to corrupt data or steal items and your data is controlled by apathetic it managers, it makes recovery harder.

For the above reasons, I personally like the fact that I control my character data in the GC version.

I sincerely hope they will allow you to back up your data through official means client-side. By overlapping the two you can avoid a lot of the drawbacks above without opening the door to rabid duping/hacking.

Reenee
Aug 28, 2005, 08:34 AM
One thing I like about PSO is it does not have server side saving.

Where did you hear this?

Parn
Aug 28, 2005, 09:52 AM
You've invested a great deal of time in your character and found many rares through countless hours of toil.
Sorry but... it is not possible to "toil" through a videogame. Games are recreation, not a second job. Heh...

DarK-SuN
Aug 28, 2005, 10:31 AM
That's why they don't delete accounts just because you cancel them for a while; buy a new HL once you can play again and oh, surprise, everything's still there.

This method is only a threat for hackers, not for us regular players; don't cry out storm where there's none.

Interesting side note: PSOBB has server side saving ONLY.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarK-SuN on 2005-08-28 08:31 ]</font>

Rubius-sama
Aug 28, 2005, 10:47 AM
On 2005-08-28 04:14, plasmacutter wrote:
Then, some ST beaurocrat loses a piece of paper and BAM.. your account is cancelled and your file is erased?

I'm more worried about a clumsy ST employee spilling Pepsi over the server containing all the save files.

_Tek_
Aug 28, 2005, 11:33 AM
They save our characters on paper? I didn't know sega was that poor.

plasmacutter
Aug 28, 2005, 12:52 PM
Ok.. darksun made an intersting point and possible correction.

I do hope it's the case that they keep your data if you've taken a hiatus from your hunter's license (I don't use psobb as they apparently hate mac with a passion, so I was not aware of this). If this can be confirmed I don't have as much of a problem with it, but it still doesn't give you affirmative means to rescue your data in case of exploit, and that's a big rub.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: plasmacutter on 2005-08-28 10:54 ]</font>

Dek
Aug 28, 2005, 02:37 PM
On 2005-08-28 10:52, plasmacutter wrote:
Ok.. darksun made an intersting point and possible correction.

I do hope it's the case that they keep your data if you've taken a hiatus from your hunter's license (I don't use psobb as they apparently hate mac with a passion, so I was not aware of this). If this can be confirmed I don't have as much of a problem with it, but it still doesn't give you affirmative means to rescue your data in case of exploit, and that's a big rub.

What PSOBB does at the moment is that your character data stays on the server for 80 days (I believe) after you cancel your account. Diablo 2 also allows chracter data to stay on the server for a certain amount of time (2 months?)

adamgnome104
Aug 28, 2005, 04:41 PM
Server Side Saving = Less idiots who for some reason have a vendetta agiasnt Sega and Sonic team, and also script idiots annoying trollers and spammers who use hacked stuff.

:3

RoninJoku
Aug 28, 2005, 08:49 PM
I prefer a good old memory card... Just for the fact that when the game is good and dead I can go back to it , pop in my memory card and still have all of my old stuff... I don't like that my character is tied to the server forever... Oh well... I suppose it has it's benefits... Including not becoming too attached...

_Tek_
Aug 28, 2005, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I suppose sega will have to keep the PSU servers up for a long time, since nobody will want to play offline forever.

Nash
Aug 28, 2005, 11:22 PM
Well personally I'm glad to leave the fear of corrupt memory cards while playing behind.

Reenee
Aug 29, 2005, 12:17 AM
I don't see why they cannot transfer over features from PSOBB. There's some neat things like rollbacks, which are usually used to amend some major disruption. If they're developing a PC version, then they very well have an idea of how to implement it.

Screw this crap for the moment. No cross-platforming, no care-y.

_Tek_
Aug 29, 2005, 12:28 AM
They should make a character creations for offline and online, but seperate the two.Y ou should be able to have a custom character offline only, and then the online ones.

DarK-SuN
Aug 29, 2005, 02:38 AM
God knows, maybe you can create a character in offline mode... once you've completed it, an unlockable feature of this order could potentially exist.
Don't quote me on this though, it's just wishful thinking.
Not that I'd use it much anyway (since they'd keep online and offline characters seperate, thank God), but it'd still be a nice unlockable feature to have for offline play.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarK-SuN on 2005-08-29 00:39 ]</font>

_Tek_
Aug 29, 2005, 02:39 AM
Or atleast customization with Ethan and the others.