PDA

View Full Version : I think I'll play through the old PS games.

_Tek_
Aug 29, 2005, 09:59 PM
Since I'm going insane over PSU, I'll need something to keep me calm until its release.

I thought of getting BB, but my pc is always being used, and its not to great anyways. I thought about playing on the cube, but mine's pretty much scrapped, and Its nothing new.

So the only thing left is the old PS games that I've never gone through yet. Oh dear....

shinobu_seta
Aug 29, 2005, 10:06 PM
The original PS games are a lot of fun and a great history lesson too. I mean, Newmans and Casts and all that had to come from somewhere right?

Take note that the first games weren't designed the greatest though, so you'll probably be visiting gamefaqs a lot for maps and such. Phantasy star 2 included a hint book and maps when released and unfortunately it's uber difficult without them.

Despite the challenge though, they're worth it. Give it a go ^_^

Parn
Aug 29, 2005, 10:50 PM
As far as the original PS games go, Phantasy Star IV is the only one in the series that withstands the test of time really well.

I recommend giving them all a shot, but if you find yourself a little too aggravated with the first three games, definitely don't miss out on the fourth. You'll appreciate the fourth a lot more though, if you complete the first three.

DarK-SuN
Aug 30, 2005, 12:58 AM
Play the first and the second, the third is chronologically after PSO (Japanese timeline, it's a known fact they mistranslated the date for the US release) so it has no effect for the fourth game's storyline (which is before PSO).

Play the third just for kicks, since the story wasn't even written/directed by the same author of the first, second and fourth games.

That's why that compilation called "Phantasy Star Trilogy" for the PS2 only had the first, second and fourth game.

Little "visual" graph:
PS1 - PS2 - PS4 - PSOep1 - PSOep2 - PSOep4 - PSOep3 - PS3

Now I just wonder where PSU will fit in that timeline.

_Tek_
Aug 30, 2005, 01:21 AM
I've heard people saying its set way before everything.

When were casts created, since in PSU it speaks of casts already have individual rights, etc.

there's no beast class in any other ps, perhaps there planet was destroyed at some point. I've heard the 3 planet thing in PSU is similar to another PS game, but all teh names are different.

Oh well, I guess I'll play through it, I've already started PS1.

Oh and I hate RPG's like this, sooo many random battles, I end up quitting them half the time.

Parn
Aug 30, 2005, 10:11 AM
On 2005-08-29 22:58, DarK-SuN wrote:
Play the first and the second, the third is chronologically after PSO (Japanese timeline, it's a known fact they mistranslated the date for the US release) so it has no effect for the fourth game's storyline (which is before PSO).
Incorrect. Remember the wreckage northwest of Nalya on Motavia in Phantasy Star IV?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm wrong on this aspect. I forgot that the worldships do not launch at the start of PS3. Bleh. Just the same though, because PS4 references all three previous games, it is best to play them in order.

Play the third just for kicks, since the story wasn't even written/directed by the same author of the first, second and fourth games.
Also incorrect. This is a common myth regarding the "stepchild" of the Phantasy Star series, and I point you to this interview (http://www.got-next.com/features_read.php?id=73) with Rieko Kodama. Here's the excerpt that matters:

GotNext: Phantasy Star III was a major change for the series, and a lot of peoples' opinions are divided on the game. What are your thoughts about the game?

Kodama: Most of the planning staff for the game were from PS2. When we were in the planning stages for PS3, we thought that we wanted to make something that could be played without being familiar with the first two games, instead of being a direct continuation. I think it's an interesting game in its own right.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2005-08-30 08:19 ]</font>

DarK-SuN
Aug 30, 2005, 01:06 PM
Good correction about PS3's writer/director.
But still, the director himself says it's something "unlinked" from the other games, so if you're only intested in the story of the "PS Trilogy", play the third only for kicks (but yes, it's a cool game none the less, I know I like it).

Parn
Aug 30, 2005, 01:09 PM
I personally didn't care much for Phantasy Star 3. I found it to be a great idea that was poorly executed. If anything, out of all the original Phantasy Star games, Phantasy Star 3 needed a good remake the most.

PhruitBaskit
Aug 30, 2005, 03:13 PM
I think that old school games are great. Like right now, I'm playing Final Fantasy 1 on my computer. Black Mages rock!

adamgnome104
Aug 30, 2005, 11:57 PM
OK. Every time someone mentions the old Phantasy Star games, you do NOT have to go on a big rant about the timeline http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

I think that playing through them, you'll notice a lot of similarities in PSO, and also even PSU. (Three Planets of something similar to earth, desert and water/ or ice in PS.) Casts in PSU, although the name is from PSO, look more like the ones in PS. Beast characters were based on the aliens in the PS games, and of course Newmans. PSO's plot for ep1 more has to do with it. And a lot of obscure cameos. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Parn
Aug 31, 2005, 12:24 AM
On 2005-08-30 21:57, adamgnome104 wrote:
OK. Every time someone mentions the old Phantasy Star games, you do NOT have to go on a big rant about the timeline http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif
My apologies for DarK-SuN and I not conforming to your established message board standards.

_Tek_
Aug 31, 2005, 09:15 PM
I ended up just playing the 3 Streets of Rage games instead, awesome games. The only part that ticks me off is I can't run, but the enemies can. And they also having more range than I do! Its like fighting paper thin people!

DarK-SuN
Aug 31, 2005, 10:59 PM
Despite it being VERY offtopic... you can run in Streets of Rage 3, in 4 directions (although up and down is more like a dodging roll, not really a run).
In Streets of Rage 2 you can run only by using Skate.
Double tap a direction and hold, easy to figure out since it's the same in many games of this type.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarK-SuN on 2005-08-31 21:00 ]</font>

_Tek_
Sep 1, 2005, 12:33 PM
Hmm, I must not have been tapping fast enough. Probably since I'm using an old keyboard.

Edit: I got it, its only in the 3rd SoR.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Tek_ on 2005-09-01 20:35 ]</font>

Ryna
Sep 1, 2005, 01:53 PM
On 2005-09-01 10:33, _Tek_ wrote:
Hmm, I must not have been tapping fast enough. Probably since I'm using an old keyboard.

I'll admit I was big fan of Streets of Rage, but this is going horribly off-topic. So let's get back to discussing the original Phantasy-Star series.

PrinceBrightstar
Sep 1, 2005, 07:45 PM
Don't forget the gamegear games as well, Adventure and Gaiden.