PDA

View Full Version : I swear, the world needs help on spelling(internet at least)

Momo-chan
Sep 3, 2005, 12:52 AM
i go to a yahoo chat room, and get like, 40 IMs, half were about wanting sex(blocked them) and most were really stupid.

All included asl =/

and it was like "wht u do" "u ys ir" "ru tr" "iant"

what the hell are they saying?!

i thought Blue burst was bad. the lack of intellagance on the internet is laughable. it's like no one can type proper english.

it's sad when i ask "please speak clearly"

User>"ok"
User>"wht u do"

=/ yea thats SO~~~ clear

i know if i ask why people talk like this, i'm going to get

"to talk faster"

or

"tlk fstr"

no wonder english is a failing subject for so many people >< this is truley sad.

and they say it's to talk faster. if that's the case, then why does it take you 5 minutes to reply? does it take that long to "tlk lik ths?" it's more an instant nOOb give away than anything

i don't know how this can be solved but, it just pisses me off to see this

especially alot of it at once.
(had to copy and paste "i don't understand, please type clearly")

-never again yahoo chat

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Momo-chan on 2005-09-02 22:57 ]</font>

InfinityXXX
Sep 3, 2005, 01:03 AM
Well I know I make a bunch of typo but as far as the "wht u do". I think thats just stupid. Its like their talking in liscence plate. Sometimes I may type "ur" but when you make a whole sentence then you just need to just stop.

Solstis
Sep 3, 2005, 02:04 AM
Considering the amount of grammatical errors in your post momo...

Kuea
Sep 3, 2005, 03:00 AM
http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I suck with english

I typo so damn often XD

but hey http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif at leats I can attempt to strutcure decent grammatical sentatnces~

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 3, 2005, 03:24 AM
I believe that the only way to fix the problem is to make it clear that this behavior is unacceptable. It must be made clear to people that when they type in that manner, they are broadcasting to everyone they speak to that they are too stupid to properly spell a three letter word.

I will say though, while it's certainly unacceptable to type that way in a chatroom, at least in a chatroom they have the excuse that the room may be moving quickly, and they have to do everything they can to type quicker, just to keep up. I've seen it happen in a forum, though.

Look all you illiterate freaks out there, let's get one thing straight right now: A forum is not a race. Take your time, write your post properly. Assuming you're not posting in a thread that you shouldn't be posting in to begin with, the thread will still be there when you hit the Submit button. This post is a permanent addition to someone's website, and it's worth the whole micron of extra effort to spell as though your IQ includes three digits.

I think that what these people need to get through their heads, is that taking shortcuts will not help them type faster. That's a crutch. It's the lazy way out, and it will never help anyone improve themselves. If you want to type faster, then dammit, just type faster. You're not going to be typing 80 words per minute instantly upon sitting down in front of a computer for the first time in your life. Just dammit, put your index fingers on F and J, and start typing like a friggin' human being.

Yes, indeed, I'm sure it's apparent, by now. This sort of thing is one of my pet peeves.

And InfinityXXX, the comment about "speaking in license plate" was awsome. I congratulate you on making that connection.

Momo-chan
Sep 3, 2005, 08:04 AM
On 2005-09-03 00:04, Solstis wrote:

where? o.o

Meh
Sep 3, 2005, 08:12 AM
On 2005-09-03 06:04, Momo-chan wrote:

where? o.o

No capital letters, tut tut...

Blue-Hawk
Sep 3, 2005, 08:13 AM
Heh and people ask me why I talk propper in Guild Wars. No seriously. I have been asked this on more than one occasion.

And Momo, this is your fault for actually going into a chatroom full of kiddies.

Momo-chan
Sep 3, 2005, 08:17 AM
On 2005-09-03 06:13, Blue-Hawk wrote:
Heh and people ask me why I talk propper in Guild Wars. No seriously. I have been asked this on more than one occasion.

And Momo, this is your fault for actually going into a chatroom full of kiddies.

yes i know, a mistake i won't make again.

Skorpius
Sep 3, 2005, 10:08 AM

You mean, aside from the fact that you can coherently read her words, instead of having to decipher everything?

Fyrin
Sep 3, 2005, 10:47 AM
I kant spels nothin...

Solstis
Sep 3, 2005, 11:44 AM
On 2005-09-03 08:08, Skorpius wrote:

You mean, aside from the fact that you can coherently read her words, instead of having to decipher everything?

It's all a matter of degrees. If I felt like being picky, I could have torn that post apart.

If you're going to gripe about incorrect grammar and spelling, spend the time to fix your own post first. Not saying that it's necessary at all, but as the saying goes, "practice what you preach."

As for the death of the English language... I doubt that will ever truly happen as long as there are writers in this world (that write in English, obviously). I'm sure that the British think that Americans have stabbed the poor thing in the heart already.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2005-09-03 09:49 ]</font>

LadyRedComet
Sep 3, 2005, 02:10 PM
But obviously this is the internet! You don't need to be understood! In fact, the goal is to be as unintelligible as possible! I've had this fact pounded into my head many times over the past few months. If you expect proper spelling and grammar, you expect too much and are a "Nazi." Welcome to the club, be prepared for hatred. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

FantomeNinja
Sep 3, 2005, 04:12 PM
Maybe I should join your club too. I get such feeble replies from some people on AIM when I suggest that they attempt to type with proper grammar and spelling (or at least make the sentence readable).

Dangerous55
Sep 3, 2005, 05:50 PM

I have noticed, and it makes me want to do it too. But I am so, so lazy...

Blue-Hawk
Sep 4, 2005, 10:32 AM
On 2005-09-03 15:50, Dangerous55 wrote:

I have noticed, and it makes me want to do it too. But I am so, so lazy...

Heh don't worry. I won't kick you from the guild for a little spelling error now and then. I have spelling issues too, so there.

MuroDaisuke
Sep 4, 2005, 11:23 AM
i thought Blue burst was bad. the lack of intellagance on the internet is laughable. it's like no one can type proper english.

You can't really get mad about other peoples' english if you can't spell intelligence correctly. You didn't capitalize hardly anything, and you missed some periods. Why would someone who doesn't apply much grammar skills to his/herself, be so concerned about how other people talk on the internet?

Feelmirath
Sep 4, 2005, 11:30 AM
I swear, the world needs help on spelling(internet at least)
I swear, i was just about to make this topic...
Yeah, it can really piss me off at times, especially when half of my friends do it themselves http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif
Another thing thats hell is the over-amount of smileys they have. One friend has this doughnut that's supposed to be an o, and he linked it so that whenever he typed an o, it comes up with this goddam awful, pink, massive eyesore of a doughnut.
bt 2 th txt slng ppl tht use it on th intrnt, GET SOME DAMN ENGLISH LESSONS!
We no longer have an intelligent world, it seems http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

navci
Sep 4, 2005, 01:08 PM
Honestly though. There are places you go to you KNOW is going to be filled up with people who wouldn't bother to type and spell correctly.
AIM, yahoo chatroom. Any IM chatroom really.

Avoid those places. And your mind and rest easier. *shrugg*

space_butler
Sep 4, 2005, 02:36 PM
OMG Y R U SO POSH??!!1 IT QUIKA TO TYP LIK DIS!!!!

actuall quote from at least two of my msn contacts

Momo-chan
Sep 5, 2005, 01:36 PM
On 2005-09-04 09:23, MuroDaisuke wrote:

You can't really get mad about other peoples' english if you can't spell intelligence correctly. You didn't capitalize hardly anything, and you missed some periods. Why would someone who doesn't apply much grammar skills to his/herself, be so concerned about how other people talk on the internet?

it would be nice to understand what the other person says.

Orange_Coconut
Sep 5, 2005, 02:37 PM
Hmm, it's one thing when net-lingo is used, but innocent spelling mistakes aren't really a problem. Everyone has their strong points and their weak points. Just because someone can't spell things correctly doesn't mean that they're stupid. Some people have trouble memorizing how words are spelled, some people don't exactly know everything there is to know about grammar.

Nobody's perfect, my weakness is math personally. I bet if I was placed in a math class around the level I should be in at my stage in life, that I would be thought of as stupid.

Anyways, when people can't go three words without making abbreviations or replacement letters/numbers, it usually gets to me. I know it's silly but I act like I would if I was writing a term paper for school when I type to others on the internet. It really doesn't bother me, plus there's no fear of being graded. I can understand some net-speak, I mean I can understand why people abbreviate sometimes. But when that's all they're able to type in, it can get confusing/annoying in my opinion.

Curiosity
Sep 5, 2005, 04:02 PM
I'm actually a bit curious as to what truly brought on this form of "short-hand" (I don't recall the proper term for it, although I'm pretty sure there is one)? I want to (I so wanted to use "wanna" there ;P) say it was text messaging (pagers/phones), or possibly IM'ing, but I'd still personally go with texting. I say that simply because of the input method, dropping a few characters here and there for "ease of use" so to speak. Although I don't honestly know which actually came about first, text messaging or IM, and am quite frankly too lazy to research it at the moment. ;P But from (at least from my point of view) text messaging it just spread to other "venues" and mediums.

I sort of agree with what someone else said, this form of short-hand shouldn't be lumped together with spelling and/or grammatical errors. I'm half-way decent with spelling, but sometimes my fingers just screw up, or there's some weird kb/software/net issue and it just comes out wrong. Of course I usually go back and correct them if I'm able to, and a lot of the time I also have an online reference open to check spellings I'm unsure of... Grammatically however, heh, I'm weak to say the least.

Anyway, I periodically do use these shortcuts and abbreviations in some situations. But they're generally minimized, and the entire sentence isn't in that form.

EDIT: I remember what it was now. For a long while I've said that I don't speak "English" but rather I speak "American" for the simple fact that I could go to England (where they speak "proper" english in a sense) and not understand what they're talking about. It's basically a foreign language to me. I guess in a way, the "english" we speak here in the US could almost be considered a "regional dialect" of sorts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Curiosity on 2005-09-05 16:39 ]</font>

Bungee950
Sep 5, 2005, 04:18 PM
I am too a hypocrite, but doesn't everybody slip once in a while? Good rant, though. I love these subjects.

BogusKun
Sep 6, 2005, 03:09 PM
I don't do chats all too much. Only person I talked to on a chat was navi! hah!