PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Team reveals PSU's party limit.

DarK-SuN
Sep 18, 2005, 05:00 PM
Apparently the online party limit will be of 6 players.

The Magic Box ( http://www.the-magicbox.com/ ) states it very clearly.

GameSpot and IGN have been sleeping this whole TGS (God knows why) instead of giving it some proper coverage like they did for E3, so it seems certain sites like The Magic Box and 1UP are getting their info from asian sites and representatives they may have at TGS for this.

_Tek_
Sep 18, 2005, 05:39 PM
"- Sega revealed that Phantasy Star Universe will support up to 6 players online, the game is set to release in Japan this winter."

Yep most of us thought it would be about 6, which is rather kickass when you think about it for PSU, since the fighting rocks, compred to other online rpgs.

Dre_o
Sep 18, 2005, 05:56 PM
Six people hmm? Sounds good to me.

________
Harley-Davidson Topper (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Topper)

DarK-SuN
Sep 18, 2005, 06:05 PM
Yep, 6 is definitely a great number; I'd have personally prefered 8 (although it'd probably be a rare thing to have a full party of 8 most of the time), but 6 is a whole lot better than 4, so no complaints here.

Parn
Sep 18, 2005, 06:14 PM
I love being right. Oh yes.

Basically, this is going to be kind of like hanging out in Jeuno in Final Fantasy XI. Tons of people to talk with, trade items with, etc... and then you form your party of six and go adventuring. Only... FFXI takes forever to do any of that stuff, and we won't have to deal with spawn camping, other parties aggroing monsters, and other annoying stuff about MMORPGs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2005-09-18 16:23 ]</font>

ColonD
Sep 18, 2005, 06:42 PM
Allows for a whole lot more stratgy and team setups-
I imagine that two~three attacker types, 1~2 gun/other types and 2 magic types maybe the best set up.

Then there are people who would be okay at two things: like I'm going for an attack/magic person for my future 'Solo' for PSU. So, there could be some interesting teams.

And it also makes one wonder about what a team would be like with all magic focused people. O.o Hello Burning Planet.

Alas, this ends ColonD's post. I'll look forward to you guys and gals on PSU online.

lostinseganet
Sep 18, 2005, 09:05 PM
6 only... >_<
I have a feling the ram limitations of the ps2 is at fault. Serious sam 2 will have 16...

_Tek_
Sep 18, 2005, 09:13 PM
Well think about how PSO was set up. It had 4 players, and you could chat while playing and get to know the other players more personally, and work together much better. But if you got a team of like 20 on wow, then its harder to keep order, plan strategies, and talk to people. I think 6 is just fine.

Plus PSU is going to have alot more combat gameplay, its certainly no point and click, one hit animation game. So I suppose there's alot of ram involved with all the new animations.

Dre_o
Sep 18, 2005, 09:21 PM
Agreed, six people will be plenty for intense combat but I noticed something, the videos tend to make the combat look more like Dynasty Warriors and less like Phantasy Star. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

All I can say is I hope im wrong.

________
Honda RC51 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_RC51)

Rubesahl
Sep 18, 2005, 09:41 PM
lmao I can't believe we all think it's a good number >_> I think it's great http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Flame
Sep 18, 2005, 09:47 PM
serious sam 2 is a FPS. please don't compare them. PSO has always been kind of a private experience. It allows better development with your companions as just mentioned. 6 is a great number.

RoninJoku
Sep 18, 2005, 11:53 PM
It is a perfect number for me! Since I am playing with 5 friends of mine! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif And yeah... Too many people would kinda ruin the personal feel of PSO parties... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

_Tek_
Sep 19, 2005, 01:27 AM
how did serious sam get into this topic?

tank1
Sep 19, 2005, 08:56 AM
6 player sounds cool and plus since no one else i dont no one wont be able to follow me around being a complete fucktard begging for money etc, like what keeps happening to me in WOW.

lostinseganet
Sep 19, 2005, 01:57 PM
On 2005-09-18 23:27, _Tek_ wrote:
how did serious sam get into this topic?

Because serious sam is a coop game just like pso. The enimies have the same intellegence. Yet serious same has 16 player coop which is the bomb.

rena-ko
Sep 19, 2005, 02:54 PM
hm
talking was difficult enough with more than two people in the team, left alone a full 4 people party.

anyway, i'm really looking forward to PSU cmode that way.

_Tek_
Sep 19, 2005, 03:47 PM
Maybe this time I'll join whatever clan or group PSOW creates. I know PSU woun't have the team system, just regualr guild cards and mail. I'll see how long I can last legit.

ColonD
Sep 19, 2005, 05:41 PM
On 2005-09-19 13:47, _Tek_ wrote:
I'll see how long I can last legit.

You know how everyone is Oooing and Aweing about how they're going to make it really hard to cheat. Besides, I'll never give up being legit, in case you or anyone else wants to set up games together. Besides, good old fasioned fun is what games are about. So what if a certain boss/creature kicks your butt?

DarK-SuN
Sep 19, 2005, 05:47 PM
Amen, ColonD.
I'll be completly legit, the only way I'll be carrying around something non-legit is if someone gave it to me and I didn't know it was hacked/duped. o_O

SubstanceD
Sep 19, 2005, 06:45 PM
I think 6 characters in a single party is more then enough.

RoninJoku
Sep 20, 2005, 12:33 AM
I hope that the game doesn't like... require you to have a full party in order to accomplish anything... If there was one think I absolutely hated about FFXI(and I hate alot about it), it was how you needed a full-party where everyone knew what they were doing in order to get anything done... (at least that's the way it was with the way EVERYONE played that game, trying to chain IT guys constantly and begging for PL'ers)

googles
Sep 20, 2005, 12:48 AM
6 sounds good to me.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 20, 2005, 01:08 AM
6 also sounds good to me. And I doubt that there will be many instances in which a full party of 6 is required. Sure, there will be the occassional quest [assuming there are Guild-style quests in PSU] that requires a certain number of people due to switches or whatever, but I am willing to bet that most of PSU, like PSO, will be soloable.

Jools
Sep 20, 2005, 01:25 AM
Just got back from Tokyo and I can verify that during the TGS onstage presentation of PSU the party was never bigger than 6.

-Jools

_Tek_
Sep 20, 2005, 01:32 AM
Probbly since most media shown so far has been of story mode clips where its just Ethan, Hyuga, the Dr, and Karen running around 2 levels, and not of actual online play(well other than lobbies).

Jools
Sep 20, 2005, 02:18 AM
I'm fairly certain that they were actually playing it during the presentation.

-Jools

_Tek_
Sep 20, 2005, 02:23 AM
Well most media is of the demo, which from what I've seen is you playing as ethan waber with the other 3 mentioned above. They probably don't have a demo yet to present online play with customized characters yet.

Spider
Sep 20, 2005, 04:50 AM
6 seems like heaps to me, I think 5 would have been plenty... The 5 in PSO was good, but 6 could get a bit annoying, I suppose if they throw in some super hard baddies you need a small army to take on it could be handy.

Rion772
Sep 20, 2005, 05:06 AM
eh i disagree..for example in monster hunter there were only 4 per party, which u found to be perfect because there wouldnt be too much talking and too little fighting...well sometimes there were ppl who wouldnt shut up and kept getting killed but 5 seem like too much..kind of overwhelming to keep up w/ 4 other people and pay attention to use combos

Rubesahl
Sep 20, 2005, 05:40 AM
On 2005-09-19 22:33, RurouniJoku wrote:
I hope that the game doesn't like... require you to have a full party in order to accomplish anything... If there was one think I absolutely hated about FFXI(and I hate alot about it), it was how you needed a full-party where everyone knew what they were doing in order to get anything done... (at least that's the way it was with the way EVERYONE played that game, trying to chain IT guys constantly and begging for PL'ers)

Oh god yes! Plus I could NEVER find teams >:( I even switched to being a warrior just so I could solo more -__-;; Never passed the level 11 mark....

As for playing legit, last time I bought a cheat device was... in the Sega Genesis o.o;; I was a kid then so it was fun playing as super sonic all the time lmao. But after that I always thought cheat devices took the point off playing the game normally >_> ESPECIALLY online games, where you play with other people, therefore you must respect the people who dislike the cheating and also respect the developers who want the game to flourished as they planned.

----

Something I'm a bit worried is the fact of teams being 6 and the areas being too small O_o though from what I've seen this time the levels are much more expansive but still >_> I also hope PvP works better than PSO's -__-;; "Take this!" -falls to the ground- "Nice! But take this!" -other one falls to the ground- Though it was fun in a way, it still was completely different from playing with monsters >_> and I think it should be much more similar ><;

Rion772
Sep 20, 2005, 04:40 PM
hmm 6 is ok...i mean i would really like to play with people i know well even if it required being in a smaller group..i dont like playing a few missions/runs through a dungeon w/ a person then they leave, i like to play w/ ppl who are gonna stick around and u can have little chats w/ when u play..it makes the whole experience even better =)but im off topic.

one last thing, does anyone know around when psu is coming out in the U.S.? i think i heard around February 2nd 2006? or was it 2007?...help me

PhruitBaskit
Sep 21, 2005, 12:24 PM
On 2005-09-19 15:41, ColonD wrote:
You know how everyone is Oooing and Aweing about how they're going to make it really hard to cheat. Besides, I'll never give up being legit, in case you or anyone else wants to set up games together. Besides, good old fasioned fun is what games are about. So what if a certain boss/creature kicks your butt?

I was 99% legit and PSO and I'm planning on being that way in PSU. I hated hackers and I hope that it is indeed hard for people to hack on PSU. My main reason is that I have been LSODed 8 times while online on PSO. ( I don't hate all hackers, just the ones that think LSODing people is fun)

PhruitBaskit
Sep 21, 2005, 12:28 PM
On 2005-09-20 14:40, Rion772 wrote:
last thing, does anyone know around when psu is coming out in the U.S.? i think i heard around February 2nd 2006? or was it 2007?...help me

It's supposedly February 2006, and if it's 2007 then...well, that would suck. I can't wait any longer!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PhruitBaskit on 2005-09-21 10:29 ]</font>

Tycho
Sep 21, 2005, 02:41 PM
The first thought that would come to my mind regarding the increased party size, would have been something similar to "LOL, DAMAGE CANCEL".
Anyway, I'm looking forward to see how this turns out.

OdinTyler
Sep 21, 2005, 10:25 PM
I just wanted to say hi to the fellow lovers of PS. Been an eon since Ive posted on the site. Just a quick intro. Ive been playing since V1 on DC & have tried to stick with PSO the best I could. For awhile now Ive been on another MMO (EQOA) & tho it has its fun moments, 4 members isnt enough for me. Hearing that WE get 6 is gonna rock. Tho Im a long time EQOA player I was by no means 1 of the 1st to play. Im hoping I can be 1 of the lucky few on at launch, so maybe I'll see some of you there. GL all & lets show the competitors what a REAL rpg is! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rion772
Sep 22, 2005, 04:48 AM
wb

kazuma56
Sep 23, 2005, 12:56 AM
6 isn't bad, I was hoping for like 20-30 per game created but only 4-8 per team so i'm cool with it.... I just thought that Sega would've made it seem more like an MMO this time around when you make games then just a HUGE barren world with 6 friends....then again, with (I hope) different towns and places you can go, maybe it won't seem so barren because Ethan and Co. will be wondering around.

_Tek_
Sep 23, 2005, 01:36 AM
wtf is wb!? See what I'm talking about!
But anyways, Kazuma, I think the reason it isn't teams of 20-30 is because the game is very combat heavy. Its not like other mmorpgs where you got one attack animation over and over. I think you could call PSU an massive online action rpg. I believe we should create this new genre!

Quo
Sep 23, 2005, 12:13 PM
On 2005-09-22 23:36, _Tek_ wrote:
wtf is wb!? See what I'm talking about!
But anyways, Kazuma, I think the reason it isn't teams of 20-30 is because the game is very combat heavy. Its not like other mmorpgs where you got one attack animation over and over. I think you could call PSU an massive online action rpg. I believe we should create this new genre!

wb = Welcome Back. Tek, your actions are borderline trolling. Cut it out. Rion, one word posts, especially one word posts that are off topic, are considered spam. Don't go off topic; don't spam; and, if you can't add something semi-meaningful to the conversation, don't post. If you haven't yet, read the forum rules.

Kazuma, The towns are essentially lobbies, so they certainly won't seem baren. I have no idea how parties will be organized. I suppose they'll have a system similar to PSO.

Shadowhanto
Sep 23, 2005, 02:49 PM
On 2005-09-20 03:40, Rubesahl wrote:

On 2005-09-19 22:33, RurouniJoku wrote:

Oh god yes! Plus I could NEVER find teams >:( I even switched to being a warrior just so I could solo more -__-;; Never passed the level 11 mark....

As for playing legit, last time I bought a cheat device was... in the Sega Genesis o.o;; I was a kid then so it was fun playing as super sonic all the time lmao. But after that I always thought cheat devices took the point off playing the game normally >_> ESPECIALLY online games, where you play with other people, therefore you must respect the people who dislike the cheating and also respect the developers who want the game to flourished as they planned.

----

Something I'm a bit worried is the fact of teams being 6 and the areas being too small O_o though from what I've seen this time the levels are much more expansive but still >_> I also hope PvP works better than PSO's -__-;; "Take this!" -falls to the ground- "Nice! But take this!" -other one falls to the ground- Though it was fun in a way, it still was completely different from playing with monsters >_> and I think it should be much more similar ><;

I got all the way to lvl 28 I might get back on FFXI...then again maybe not...I at least wanna get to lvl 30 before I ever think about quiting then i'd feel that I wasted my time trying to become a DRK but once PSU comes out im gonna probly quit FFXI..

Quo
Sep 23, 2005, 04:33 PM
On 2005-09-23 12:49, Shadowhanto wrote:

This is not a FFXI thread. Stay on topic.

Rion772
Sep 23, 2005, 05:38 PM
hmm I think 6 is a good number for a team, although it would be perfect if it was 5 per team, i'm not sure why i just like 4-5. I think i would play solo most of the time, 20-30 is too much though..it would be much like dynasty warrior where enemies surround you and its a war not just a little battle. 6 is good though

SubstanceD
Sep 25, 2005, 08:29 AM
Imagine how nasty things could get if you had all 6 party members fighting over a RARE Item drop.
It would also be more difficult to get to know the people you are playing with if you had a party in the double digits. To me 6 is a perfect Number, it's bigger then the 4 for PSO Episodes 1+2 so it makes the people think that is an inprovement on what they had in PSO ( only time will tell if it is an improvement ) but at the same time it keeps the party size small and Intimate. It will be easier play with your friends ( and easier to make new friends ) in a smaller party.

DarK-SuN
Sep 25, 2005, 11:22 AM
Agreed, while the cities/new lobbies will be the place to meet tons/hundreds of people.

PJ
Sep 25, 2005, 01:30 PM
The only thing that makes me happy about the increase is the fact that I don't have to leave as many friends out of my games at a time. It's not enough to get them all in there, but it's better than leaving more out.

Otherwise, I wish they kept it to 4 >_>

jean-yavon
Sep 25, 2005, 01:44 PM
The thing that worries me is that it might be to much going on at one time,with 6 people.

Alisha
Sep 25, 2005, 06:29 PM
On 2005-09-21 12:41, Tycho wrote:
The first thought that would come to my mind regarding the increased party size, would have been something similar to "LOL, DAMAGE CANCEL".
Anyway, I'm looking forward to see how this turns out.

LOL!
only a hardcore pso junkie could find this funny
damage cancel was the bane of challange 1

OdinTyler
Sep 26, 2005, 10:30 PM
I think 6 is a great improvement over the original 4. With 2 more ppl in a grp, having a larger grp means fewer grps running around & it would make things a bit easier on the server, so potentially us having fewer connection issues. Also, the good thing about having 6 ppl is like having 3 teams of 2 ppl. Everyone can have their own atk styles but also, ppl can do different tasks like act as scouts or hold places on certain switches so others may pass. Then the remaining ppl join up. I just feel its going to open up many more possibilities with us trying to see how creative we can be in group.

TrekkiesUnite
Sep 26, 2005, 11:12 PM
Why did the number 40 come into my mind when i thought of party size?

Rion772
Sep 28, 2005, 05:28 AM
40? hmm...too much, it would be like a remake of dynasty warriors,gets boring fast for me but pso nvr does

TrekkiesUnite
Sep 28, 2005, 10:30 PM
maybe 40 was something else, I dont remember what though.

kazuma56
Sep 29, 2005, 03:49 AM
Kazuma, The towns are essentially lobbies, so they certainly won't seem baren. I have no idea how parties will be organized. I suppose they'll have a system similar to PSO.

So they're doing a PSO version of guild wars' town system then...not bad.

Rion772
Sep 29, 2005, 05:06 AM
i doubt it was 40

to the post just above me: i haven't gotten online for pso but I plan on getting on soon, what are guild wars?

Kent
Sep 29, 2005, 08:00 AM
Guild Wars is a completely different game.

Rion772
Sep 29, 2005, 03:53 PM
ahhh..im dumb, anyway the town or w/e its called seems good, it all does.