PDA

View Full Version : Played PSU at TGS - my thoughts...

Jools
Sep 20, 2005, 01:48 AM
Played a lot like PSO but with snazzier graphics and presentation. Had the regular attack and heavy attack buttons just like PSO, and 3 hit combos worked the same as always. Because it was just a demo version, the game was spitting rares out at an alarming rate, which was a hell of a lot of fun. What was most striking was the rare's heavy attacks, they generally had you shooting all over the screen doing crazy over the top attacks and combos - great stuff!

There were two (huge!) ques you could join to play the game, one for PC and one for PS2. I waited through both and (unsurprisingly) found the PC version to be much more crisper and nice. Although, the cheapy PC pads they were using were nowhere near as good as a regular PS2 pad.

Sadly, the only demos available were for one player (no multiplayer action like last year's BB demo), although it was still a blast. Cut scenes looked good, and the PS2 demo seemed to involve the DR. character dieing and the evil cast being responsible.

The other two buttons were change weapons and (If I remember my translation correctly) photon. Couldn't get photon to do anything (maybe I was doing something wrong) but the weapon change button worked seamlessly (you hold it down for a moment then you get that little list of your weapons, like in some of the screen shots). Weapon change isn't instant, your hands kinda glow for a few seconds with nothing in them, while you wait for the new ones to be equiped.

All in all, it was like playing PSO, but with snazzier, jazzier toys to play with and monsters to use them on. Fantastic!

-Jools

Deus-Irae
Sep 20, 2005, 02:35 AM
thanks for the impressions.

Weapon change isn't instant, your hands kinda glow for a few seconds with nothing in them, while you wait for the new ones to be equiped.

ew. you better be able to hold a CC and ranged weapon at the same time then. quick swapping weps was/is an essential skill in PSO. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Rion772
Sep 20, 2005, 05:13 AM
gah i agree, weapon change is a nescessity to survival..hopefully u have some sort of defense when ur changing weapons

Rubesahl
Sep 20, 2005, 05:44 AM
Niiiice, great to hear a PSO veteran talking about his experiences than PSU http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif I really think I'm going to enjoy this game... This holiday season is gonna rock XD Xbox360+PSU ^O^

rena-ko
Sep 20, 2005, 09:15 AM
hm, on PSO the weapons also appeared with a glow, but you could attack even if it didnt load completely yet. sure its not the same?

PrinceBrightstar
Sep 20, 2005, 09:34 AM
Ya, most likely the files weren't optimized for loading yet.

Blitzkommando
Sep 20, 2005, 10:25 AM
Plays the same? I was hoping that we would get an entirely new experience in gameplay. I realize there are changes made, but many things seem to be PSO v5... Hopefully my guesses, which shall remain unsaid, will be wrong. In any event, it is good to read that veterans are enjoying the experience thus far.

Rion772
Sep 20, 2005, 02:21 PM
ive been playing for about...3 years..maybe 2 1/2..somewhere along those lines and i think psu looks really good from the videos and pictures

_Tek_
Sep 20, 2005, 04:05 PM
On 2005-09-20 08:25, BLITZKOMMANDO wrote:
Plays the same? I was hoping that we would get an entirely new experience in gameplay.

I was expecting it to be the same, just "more". More customization, more weapon animations, and more players in a team. It is based on PSO's system.

Rion772
Sep 20, 2005, 06:07 PM
im sure psu will be amazing like it looks, it looks so perfect..i just need to get broadband =/, hey Tek we should play online sometime

_Tek_
Sep 20, 2005, 08:33 PM
OH yes, I'm sure we'll all be online for PSU for quite some time.

Rion772
Sep 20, 2005, 08:42 PM
On 2005-09-20 18:33, _Tek_ wrote:
OH yes, I'm sure we'll all be online for PSU for quite some time.

=), im really just trying to make friends just so i can have a unit of ppl that i think are cool and that i know to play w/, i like playing w/ ppl that will play for awhile and not just play for 1hr and quit on me and ppl i can log off and come back to ya know?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rion772 on 2005-09-20 18:43 ]</font>

Quo
Sep 20, 2005, 09:26 PM
Take your private discussions to PMs. That's what they're for.

I'm glad PSU plays like PSO. Things that try to be "cutting edge" or "revolutionary" tend to creep me out. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The graphical upgrades and character creation options are more than enough to convince me to switch over to PSU. The only thing I'm worried about now is the technique system. And even that fear is mostly overpowered by the orgasmic pleasure given by all the new updates we've been getting from TGS and so forth.

DarK-SuN
Sep 20, 2005, 10:41 PM
On 2005-09-20 19:26, Quo wrote:
And even that fear is mostly overpowered by the orgasmic pleasure given by all the new updates we've been getting from TGS and so forth.

I couldn't have said it better! XD

So essentially it's PSO with side-stepping, target lock-on, new attack animations (since you can do up to 6 attack combos now), free camera control (since I read somewhere you use the right analog stick to move the camera around) and a whole lot more freedom it seems.

I'm loving the prospect so far. ^_^

Deus-Irae
Sep 21, 2005, 04:01 AM
yeah, the way you put it sounds pretty damn good. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

maybe the weapon swap will just be different. if the weps take longer to swap, maybe you will have to side/backstep out of harms way to equip a new one.

if it plays similar to PSO and is just expanded upon in many ways (customization, combat, item lists etc), im sure ill be happy.

just dont ask me to be a dog-boy! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

_Tek_
Sep 21, 2005, 04:28 AM
Which is probably why they now let you dual wield, so you can have a gun and a physical weapon. So you can have ranged and melee attacks at the same time.

Rion772
Sep 21, 2005, 04:48 AM
if you have a gun in your hand and your attacking with your sword then its not just a long range weapon, your probably going to use it at CC most of the time

Deus-Irae
Sep 21, 2005, 05:02 AM
On 2005-09-21 02:28, _Tek_ wrote:
Which is probably why they now let you dual wield, so you can have a gun and a physical weapon. So you can have ranged and melee attacks at the same time.

uh good point. i was posting just the same thoughts yesterday. im confusing myself. too damn excited about this new video. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Rion772
Sep 21, 2005, 05:06 AM
ooo hey wait what new video?!

_Tek_
Sep 21, 2005, 05:15 AM
dammit rion, don't you read anything?!

Rion772
Sep 21, 2005, 05:18 AM
On 2005-09-21 03:15, _Tek_ wrote:
dammit rion, don't you read anything?!

er, yeah..is it the video you have to download? cuz if it is when i tried it it was..corrupted

atomisk
Sep 21, 2005, 03:25 PM
what were the rares like? did they look significantly different/cooler than the regular weapons?

jonny-5
Sep 22, 2005, 11:28 AM
it plays a little differently(played it at E3).. And yes, the PC version looks MUCH better..

PhruitBaskit
Sep 22, 2005, 11:59 AM
How much better are we talking about?

adamgnome104
Sep 22, 2005, 02:13 PM
MARK. YOUR. SPOILERS!

D:

Rion772
Sep 22, 2005, 02:45 PM
yeah how much better are we talking about..i need to know, and is it still good on ps2?

SubstanceD
Sep 22, 2005, 03:18 PM
On 2005-09-20 14:05, _Tek_ wrote:

On 2005-09-20 08:25, BLITZKOMMANDO wrote:
Plays the same? I was hoping that we would get an entirely new experience in gameplay.

I was expecting it to be the same, just "more". More customization, more weapon animations, and more players in a team. It is based on PSO's system.

I'm glad that Sonic Team haven't changed PSU much from PSO.

I fell in love with PSO and the main reason why I am looking forward to PSU is because I have this affinty to PSO.

I see PSU as being a sequel to PSO and as such I have no problem with it being based of PSO's system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SubstanceD on 2005-09-25 06:18 ]</font>