PDA

View Full Version : Do you think your computer will be able to handle PSU?

Badger-sama
Oct 8, 2005, 08:31 AM
Myself... I think that she'll be able to HANDLE it, but it'll be hard on her. A year ago, she was unstoppable... but a year's a lifetime in the computer world, and it's time for an upgrade. I need a better processor and motherboard at the very least. I'd like to just completely overhaul her, but that's pricey. One thing's for sure... I'm not playing PSU on PS2.

What about you?

PeterFCS
Oct 8, 2005, 08:42 AM
I own a Mac, so IŽll go for PS2.

ecchichuu
Oct 8, 2005, 09:38 AM
Before I was worried whether my pc could handle the game or not, but after buying a new video card specifically to play psu, I'll be disappointed if I can't run the game on high settings. So yeah, I think my pc is ready.

Badger-sama
Oct 8, 2005, 10:16 AM
What card do you have now?

All I have is an ATI Radeon 9800XT :/

Rion772
Oct 8, 2005, 10:32 AM
PS2 all the way, this piece of junk is too slow for 1, and 2 I can garaun-god damn-tee this thing won't have the requirements to play on PC.

lostinseganet
Oct 8, 2005, 11:05 AM
Currently my pc has no chance of playing it. I will upgrade.

Dre_o
Oct 8, 2005, 11:58 AM
My computer will have NO chance of running it, though I'd rather have it on XBox (sigh.....i know, i know, you don't have to tell me) I'm PS2.

kazuma56
Oct 8, 2005, 01:00 PM
going ps2 route, my computer would need a new motherboard because I have no AGP/PCI-E slots and PCI is outdated, and a new processor as well, everything else can do because my RAM is decent (756) and setup is good as well.

Yay for just buying a network adaptor, router and ethernet cord instead of overhauling my PC.

Rubesahl
Oct 8, 2005, 01:24 PM
Mwahaha! My PC is a monster!! >: D Well, it's pretty good but not the latest obviously. Athlon 64 2.4 GHz, 1 gig ram 333Mhz and an ATi Radeon x800pro 256mb. I should run close to max settings if it has an ok engine.

Badger-sama
Oct 8, 2005, 01:26 PM
On 2005-10-08 11:24, Rubesahl wrote:
Mwahaha! My PC is a monster!! >: D Well, it's pretty good but not the latest obviously. Athlon 64 2.4 GHz, 1 gig ram 333Mhz and an ATi Radeon x800pro 256mb. I should run close to max settings if it has an ok engine.

Your PC > Mine

Owned/10

Blitzkommando
Oct 8, 2005, 02:52 PM
nVidia 7800GTX (EVGA KO Edition), AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Socket 939), 1534 MB DDR 400... and over 200GB of usable storage, I think I am pretty safe in saying I can run this. Hopefully Sega will not screw over the nVidia users this time like they did with PSOBB...

And, that 9800XT should do more than fine. They probably are designing it so that the 9000 series by ATI and the GeForce 5 series by nVidia can play it with little problem. Afterall, the 9800 is one of the most used video cards on the market today.

Getintothegame
Oct 8, 2005, 03:00 PM
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (2.3GHZ), 1022MB RAM, Radeon 9800PRO, I should be OK.

EJ
Oct 8, 2005, 03:08 PM
Celeron 2.20GHZ, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9550. I should be fine since I can run almost any games with little to no problems.

PhotonCat
Oct 8, 2005, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't really worry about it.

Your not gonna need a "Super PC" to run it.
I have a 5 yr old PC with only updated RAM and I'm confident I can run it fine.

This isn't TES4-Oblivion we are talking about.

Skuda
Oct 8, 2005, 09:05 PM
I'm on a Laptop... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Derek0660
Oct 8, 2005, 09:10 PM
I don't even have a graphics card...
My CPU is good, though (AMD Athlon 64-bit)
There are so many things that can go wrong on a PC.
On a console, it's either the disc is dirty or damaged or you gots to get a new console cause it's broke.

Blitzkommando
Oct 8, 2005, 10:46 PM
On 2005-10-08 18:55, PhotonCat wrote:
I wouldn't really worry about it.

Your not gonna need a "Super PC" to run it.
I have a 5 yr old PC with only updated RAM and I'm confident I can run it fine.

This isn't TES4-Oblivion we are talking about.

The problem isn't that as much as how well Sega optomizes the program to run on a PC. Sega has been notorious for using horrible optomization on the PC versions of their games. It could very well kill older computers due to poor engine design. Also, RAM isn't the main issue in modern games. Most "gaming" computers have 512-1024 MB of RAM and get slaughtered from the graphics card or processor.

Actually, now is a very interresting time as for the first time in a while now processors are the reason for bottlenecking. You see, the newest video cards (7800 GT/GTX by nVidia, X1800 series ATI) process the newest games extremely fast, but the processor doesn't process nearly as fast, thus lagging up the whole thing. So, people running computers under 1.8GHz (don't include Celeron or Sempron as those are seriously underpowered for any modern gaming) will have trouble running even basic games. An interresting point: The Athlon 64 FX-57 has a mere 113 million transistors, whereas the 7800GTX has 302 million, nearly 3 times as many. This is why a graphics card with memory and processor slower than even the most powerful processors, can process more data, more efficiently.

Granted, I am a more "hardcore" PC gamer, if you want the game to look better, not to mention respond better, than the PS2 version, you will likely need a computer with 2GHz AMD or 2.5GHz Intel, 768 MB of RAM, 128 MB video card (really, 9800 Pro is the best bet there, for both price and performance) though I would say a 256MB would be optimum. No onboard video, and really, even onboard sound can be rather damaging to gameplay. I tested the latter myself and found a good 15 FPS drop in Half-Life 2 when using the onboard versus the Audigy card. It really just depends on what technology Sega has in the game and how it is used. If they are using a DirectX 9.0c based engine, then it will be very, very tasking on anything less than a 256MB version of the 9600 ATI or the GeForce 5 series by nVidia at 256 MB.

I suppose it all depends on what someone finds personally acceptable for playing. If you don't mind jagged edges, low frame rates, low color modes, and overall hotter processing, then you could run it on an older computer. But, if you are running an older computer, anything over 2 to 3 years old, I would suggest picking up the PS2 version. You will get a better looking game, not to mention a less frustrating experience, with the console version. But, if you are running a newer computer, with decent processor, video card, and memory, then I would say go with that as you will get far better results with a PC than PS2.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BLITZKOMMANDO on 2005-10-08 20:49 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Oct 9, 2005, 01:32 AM
My PC will make PSU its bitch lol.

Antec Truepower 600Watt Power Supply
Asus A8N SLI Premium Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 OCed to a stable speed of 3GHz.
Zalman Water cooling.
4GB of Mushkin low latency RAM
(2) Nvidia 7800 GTX (BFG) 256MB each for a total of 512MB of video RAM (OCed of course http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif )
RAID 0 using two Maxtor Raptor 10,000 RPM harddrives
X-Fi Platinum Sound Card

Nai_Calus
Oct 9, 2005, 01:44 AM
My computer runs PSOBB so poorly that I might as well play DC for the better graphics it'll give me. So chances are, no.

(P4 2.8GHz, 512MB DDR RAM, GeForce FX 5200. Yeah, yeah, shut up.)

I hate PC gaming anyway unless it's the Myst series and there's no choice, I wouldn't play games for the eyecandy on this POS LCD monitor, and I probably wouldn't play the online portion enough to give a crap. So... Eh. If I get it, it'll probably be for the PS2. Maybe I'll dig up a network adapter for it. IF the PC and PS2 servers are linked, and IF the US and JP servers are linked. None of this BS like they pulled with BB.

Badger-sama
Oct 9, 2005, 02:01 AM
The only reasons I am sticking with PC for PSU are two reasons:

1. I do not own a PS2.
2. I do not feel comfortable playing this kind of game on a console... it's why I didn't stick with PSO for any longer than I did (which was only a few awkward months...)

For me to be able to play this comfortably on the PS2, I'd have to get a keyboard with it. I'd also have to set up the whole thing on my desk. It'd be tricky and may not work right... so, really, I thin I'll be sticking to the PC version.

Rion772
Oct 9, 2005, 11:50 AM
On 2005-10-09 00:01, Badger-sama wrote:
The only reasons I am sticking with PC for PSU are two reasons:

1. I do not own a PS2.
2. I do not feel comfortable playing this kind of game on a console... it's why I didn't stick with PSO for any longer than I did (which was only a few awkward months...)

For me to be able to play this comfortably on the PS2, I'd have to get a keyboard with it. I'd also have to set up the whole thing on my desk. It'd be tricky and may not work right... so, really, I thin I'll be sticking to the PC version.

Not a problem for me in the department, I have my Gamecube or whatever system I want at my desk with a TV right next to the desk on a stand, Usually I play PSO and talk online or whatever at the same time.

Most people do hook up a keyboard to their PS2, unless you can use a Mic for whatever game (EX. SOCOM 2) then most people use that.

astuarlen
Oct 9, 2005, 12:32 PM
VioletSkye's computer makes my Rolf a very jealous PC. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Rolf: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (2.4 GHz), ATi Radeon X800XL, 2048 MB DDR 400...
In any case, I think I have PSU covered.

But now BLITZ has me worried about onboard audio.

No onboard video, and really, even onboard sound can be rather damaging to gameplay. I tested the latter myself and found a good 15 FPS drop in Half-Life 2 when using the onboard versus the Audigy card.
http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif Don't scare me!

VioletSkye
Oct 9, 2005, 01:07 PM
Don't worry about the onboard sound, you'll be just fine. Its true that integrated sound uses a little more of your system resources to process everything, but from the looks of your system the framerate difference would probably be negligible at best. Also realize that some onboard sound cards are better than others (especially in the audio codec department.) So just because one person gets noticably better framerates using dedicated sound as opposed to onboard sound, doesn't mean that everyone will. The biggest improvement/difference comes in the form of the quality of the sound. If at some point you want to go with a dedicated sound card then Audigy is a good way to go. You can nab an X-Fi for a little over $100. You could also pick up an older Audigy 2 for around $62 or even an Audigy 2 ZS for $70 (I would highly recommend spending the $8 more for the ZS.) You really will notice a HUGE difference in the quality of the sound.

EphekZ
Oct 9, 2005, 06:14 PM
hmm if I clean up the adwre and stuff from it and upgrade my graphics card then yes.

kazuma56
Oct 9, 2005, 06:31 PM
They probably are designing it so that the 9000 series by ATI and the GeForce 5 series by nVidia can play it with little problem. Afterall, the 9800 is one of the most used video cards on the market today.

You think so? so then if I bought a craptastic ATI Radeon (powercolor or some other brand) 9250 for my PCI slot, you'd think it'd at least run at 20+FPS a second? maybe even 30 since a 9250 can play some of the latest games avaliable (FEAR,EQ2,GW etc).

lostinseganet
Oct 9, 2005, 07:06 PM
On 2005-10-08 13:08, ForceEJ wrote:
Celeron 2.20GHZ, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9550. I should be fine since I can run almost any games with little to no problems.

Whats the real dea with celerons? Are they really as crappy as people try to make them out to be.

Rion772
Oct 9, 2005, 09:52 PM
I had a Celeron...all I know is MINE was a piece of crap but now I have a Pentium 4 which still isn't that great if you ask me.

Axel3792
Oct 9, 2005, 10:01 PM
I'm saving for a new computer JUST FOR PSU http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

RoninJoku
Oct 9, 2005, 10:49 PM
I'm hoping to get a new PC by that time that will be able to run PSU... But if the PS2 and PC servers aren't linked, I'm not even going to bother trying to get PC ready... Unless I want to play all by me onesy with.... strangers http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif !!!

Blitzkommando
Oct 9, 2005, 11:41 PM
On 2005-10-09 17:06, lostinseganet wrote:

On 2005-10-08 13:08, ForceEJ wrote:

Whats the real dea with celerons? Are they really as crappy as people try to make them out to be.

Celerons are the low end processors. They have weakened bus speed, processing power, and use older technology in the build. They are also less efficient at keeping cool as well as processing the data. Also, for future prospects, Celerons are not 64 bit capable and thus will not be able to run the newer operating systems that are coming out within the next year or so. The boards that Celerons come with also are very cheap and not designed for upgradability. Celerons are great for surfing the internet and writing documents, but for high power processing you can get a computer with a much more powerful AMD Athlon 64 for the same or even less than Celeron based machines.

Curiosity
Oct 10, 2005, 02:45 AM
lmao, VioletSkye's system even makes my new system jealous. (This is of course assuming I haven't been scammed, time will tell... -__-; Don't ask...)

AMD Athlon 64 FX-57, stock
2GB RAM
2x ("just") XFX nVidia 7800GTX
3x Maxtor DiamondMax10 7200 rpm 300Gig in RAID 0
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

Now my current system on the other hand... It should be able to handle PSU, but it could go either way, depending on overall graphics "intensity" which would lead to the same issues I've had with RFO. Actually it'll likely be able to handle it fine, it's more a matter of what (if any) side issues I may have to deal with (the RFO reference).

Intel 2.8GHz P4 HT
1GB (semi-slowish) RAM
ATI 256MB 9800Pro
Onboard sound
Rest is rather irrelavant, just a slowish HDD (5400rpm)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Curiosity on 2005-10-10 04:08 ]</font>

lostinseganet
Oct 10, 2005, 09:19 AM
When pso requirements come out we need to make a optimum computer for everyone to want their computer to be. Ram makes the coop world go round.

Fossil
Oct 11, 2005, 04:29 PM
My PC right now can't, but with a new mobo, CPU, RAM and possibly a new Video card in the future I will be able too.

PhantomAlpha
Oct 12, 2005, 03:48 PM
On 2005-10-11 14:29, Fossil wrote:
My PC right now can't, but with a new mobo, CPU, RAM and possibly a new Video card in the future I will be able too.

Same sans the new mobo and CPU.

Need to double my RAM and vid card.