PDA

View Full Version : Can we get a new message board?

Spy
Sep 2, 2002, 09:17 PM
Well, can we? I mean, UBB is just so... two years ago.

watashiwa
Sep 2, 2002, 09:25 PM
No.

Reason being, Gideon has stated we are not allowed to wipe the current board. Therefore, we would have to upgrade the board.

If we were going to upgrade the board, it would be very difficult to as our forum's tables and what-not are non-standard. To upgrade this board, we'd have to take a phpBB1->other forum conversion software and do heavy modification to it. In addition to that, we'd need to make sure that when a user has joined the forum or the phpNuke section of the website, that they are fully integrated just like our current integration of phpBB/phpNuke is.

Now, it is very possible to do all of this, it would just take quite a bit of time. I don't have the time to do this, right now anyway. Perhaps eRUPT could or something.

(Yeah, that's right, it's phpBB1. Not UBB! Suckaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2002-09-02 19:27 ]</font>

Spy
Sep 2, 2002, 09:37 PM
On 2002-09-02 19:25, watashiwa wrote:
No.

Awe.

Reason being, Gideon has stated we are not allowed to wipe the current board. Therefore, we would have to upgrade the board.

That's odd. What so great about this board that it can't be deleted? :-

If we were going to upgrade the board, it would be very difficult to as our forum's tables and what-not are non-standard. To upgrade this board, we'd have to take a phpBB1->other forum conversion software and do heavy modification to it. In addition to that, we'd need to make sure that when a user has joined the forum or the phpNuke section of the website, that they are fully integrated just like our current integration of phpBB/phpNuke is.

That's too bad.

Now, it is very possible to do all of this, it would just take quite a bit of time. I don't have the time to do this, right now anyway. Perhaps eRUPT could or something.

If it has to be PHPBB2 and has to work with PHPNuke why bother? It will be just like windows: updated but still just crap.

(Yeah, that's right, it's phpBB1. Not UBB! Suckaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...)

Well, it started out as UBB didn't it? Unless I'm losing my mind.

watashiwa
Sep 2, 2002, 09:41 PM
On 2002-09-02 19:37, Spy wrote:
If it has to be PHPBB2 and has to work with PHPNuke why bother? It will be just like windows: updated but still just crap.

It doesn't. There's a couple of boards that phpBB1 can be converted to. Invision Board for example.

eRUPT
Sep 2, 2002, 09:44 PM
Well I do have work to do myself, plus I have a new girlfriend so that takes up quite a bit of time. I'll see if I can fit something in.

Spy
Sep 2, 2002, 09:46 PM
On 2002-09-02 19:41, watashiwa wrote:

It doesn't. There's a couple of boards that phpBB1 can be converted to. Invision Board for example.

Yeah, but this board uses non-standard formats. Even if you could convert it to another boards standard, the probably benefits wouldn't justify the effort.

You know what? I'm just going to shut up now.