PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to have PS2 net?

s0kar
Oct 13, 2005, 03:26 AM
Do you have to have the online feature for the ps2 to play this offline?

Rion772
Oct 13, 2005, 09:32 AM
On 2005-10-13 01:26, s0kar wrote:
Do you have to have the online feature for the ps2 to play this offline?

That's a really easy question to answer, and the answer is no you don't have to have the online equipment. For offline all you need is a controller, PS2, the PSU disk, and a Mem. card. However for online you need an Ethernet cable and a network router (I think) if you don't already have them.

s0kar
Oct 13, 2005, 03:44 PM
oh great, its just that i dont want to play PSU online as i already have PSO for me xbox.

Rion772
Oct 13, 2005, 04:25 PM
On 2005-10-13 13:44, s0kar wrote:
oh great, its just that i dont want to play PSU online as i already have PSO for me xbox.

Why wouldn't you want to play PSU online? it's going to be a lot better than PSO.

Reenee
Oct 13, 2005, 04:26 PM
PSU! = PSO

Rion772
Oct 13, 2005, 04:43 PM
On 2005-10-13 14:26, Reenee wrote:
PSU! = PSO

Phantasy Star Universe = Phantasy Star Online

that makes no sense, PSO and PSU are completely different games pretty much. Maybe you meant pso and psu are both really good/equally fun?

I think: PSU! > PSO (pso is still really good)

LaCroixNoireX
Oct 13, 2005, 04:59 PM
First, has it been stated anywhere concretely that a connection is not required for offline play? As to the last response, the operator "!=" means, "is not equal to." There is a space between the two, however, which could have been a typo. I believe the person is saying, PSU "is not equal to" PSO. I may be wrong, if so, I am sorry and please ignore this post.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LaCroixNoireX on 2005-10-13 15:03 ]</font>

Rion772
Oct 13, 2005, 05:13 PM
It would be extremely stupid if you need an online connection for offline, I've never heard of such a thing and if such a thing exists it should be removed from this planet immediatly. Also no PS game has ever needed such a thing and I doubt ST would consider changing that.

LaCroixNoireX
Oct 13, 2005, 05:31 PM
I believe I read once that Xbox PSO players in Japan had to pay to play even offline. Maybe the original poster has read the same information. It had something to do with the Xbox's poor market and sales, I think.

Blue Burst is also an online only game. Having an only online game, in Blue Burst's terms, is benificial to prevent cheaters by storing character data server-side. We're seeing an offline RPG style game instead of traditional PSO style play in PSU, so I think it would be best to not have to connect, but one never knows. It would depend on whether solo player experiences are reflected on multiplayer (online) play.

Rion772
Oct 13, 2005, 05:58 PM
On 2005-10-13 15:31, LaCroixNoireX wrote:
I believe I read once that Xbox PSO players in Japan had to pay to play even offline. Maybe the original poster has read the same information. It had something to do with the Xbox's poor market and sales, I think.

Blue Burst is also an online only game. Having an only online game, in Blue Burst's terms, is benificial to prevent cheaters by storing character data server-side. We're seeing an offline RPG style game instead of traditional PSO style play in PSU, so I think it would be best to not have to connect, but one never knows. It would depend on whether solo player experiences are reflected on multiplayer (online) play.

Well anyway PSU isn't on XBOX so it's really pointless to bring that up. It's been said several times that PSU is an online and offline game so it's pointless to worry about needing an internet connection just to play offline because an Ethernet cable is for playing ONLINE, offline play only requires the disc, system, hook-ups, controller and tv.

Badger-sama
Oct 13, 2005, 06:24 PM
On 2005-10-13 14:43, Rion772 wrote:

On 2005-10-13 14:26, Reenee wrote:
PSU! = PSO

Phantasy Star Universe = Phantasy Star Online

that makes no sense, PSO and PSU are completely different games pretty much. Maybe you meant pso and psu are both really good/equally fun?

I think: PSU! > PSO (pso is still really good)

An exclamation mark is a really geeky programmer way of saying DOESN'T or ISN'T.

Blitzkommando
Oct 13, 2005, 06:51 PM
If you want your own unique characters and to deviate from the storyline, yes, you will be required to do online. Otherwise you will have to stick to the offline "story mode". In other words, without online you get to play as Ethan all the time.

FrozenFlame41
Oct 13, 2005, 06:51 PM
Yeah a better way to type not equal to is =/=

Its something you actually learn thats standard, not that programming chat stuff <_<

lostinseganet
Oct 13, 2005, 07:11 PM
On 2005-10-13 13:44, s0kar wrote:

Good to see another fellow PSOX gamer in this sea of gamecube players. Xbox needs all the players it can get.

omegabuild
Oct 13, 2005, 09:30 PM
well hopefully if you play psu you wont want to play pso because its so much better. Also teh developers refered to the rpg 1 player mode as offline. as in the offline mode is a 1 player full rpg. the network game is similar to pso. that being said i think its asumed it wont need a connection, otherwise why say offline? Its possible they may want to have some online registration to stop piracy.... but that wouldnt be needed for ps2, and i think pc users will have some type of internet connection

kazuma56
Oct 14, 2005, 03:50 PM
no, I don't think connection to ST's server would be needed because ou cannot use offline things, online, so it wouldn't need a registration with ST...although you will need a Broadband connection to play it online.

_Tek_
Oct 14, 2005, 06:28 PM
It won't be like X-Box's setup.

Rion772
Oct 15, 2005, 12:30 PM
In conclusion the good news is you don't need to have a internet connection to play offline, the bad news is online is much more fun and interesting (well its bad news for you anyway)