PDA

View Full Version : I wonder...

Rion772
Oct 20, 2005, 06:12 PM
I am concerned...has it been said yet that during gameplay online you could change over your main weapon choice (gun, blade, techs)? Because I really love swords in games, but I just realized I really want a gun user but only want 1 character so is there an option to switch between guns and blades during the middle of gameplay? For some reason I really want to use the guns that blade users might not be able to use (rifles (sniper?), shots, bazooka things, and whatever they might not be able to use, or can blade users use all the guns as well but just excell in whatever they pick (blades for me)

Example: Let's just say I decide to be a blade-user and choose that option, now will I only be able to use blades, few guns, and few techniques. Or can I use every technique (if not every then most) and every gun?

Sorry if this has already been answered and I missed something but someone who know's more about this please tell me what they know about it, and if it's already been posted.

Also for everyone else except for the help that i'm requesting about this, state your opinion as well about what I wrote above.

RoninJoku
Oct 21, 2005, 12:53 AM
Since you don't pick a class or anything like that (that we are aware of), I don't believe that sort of thing would really be restricted...

(was it necessary to make a poll?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RurouniJoku on 2005-10-20 22:54 ]</font>

Rion772
Oct 21, 2005, 04:37 AM
On 2005-10-20 22:53, RurouniJoku wrote:
Since you don't pick a class or anything like that (that we are aware of), I don't believe that sort of thing would really be restricted...

(was it necessary to make a poll?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RurouniJoku on 2005-10-20 22:54 ]</font>

No it wasn't necessary to make a poll, I was bored.

I just hope I can switch over to guns when I want to.

OdinTyler
Oct 21, 2005, 10:50 AM
Of course we'll be able to change our wep at any time. The demo just showed a few possible combinations, with a saber being present in 2 such combos (most common PSO wep). Be creative, go nuts. Make all the types of combos you want. From what I remember, you can store at least a good 5 possible combos. Pretty handy for almost any situation.

omegabuild
Oct 21, 2005, 12:11 PM
teh demo shows people using all
eq regardless of clas type, however,early they mentioned that how you build your charachter effects their development. IT is likely that though you may not be limited directly from certain weapons, how you build your charachetr will effect what they can use. Just as an example, if rifles need high ATA and you never build high ATA then maybe you couldnt EQ a weapon, or maybe you would always miss. Of course this si just conjecture based on early descriptions.

Rion772
Oct 21, 2005, 02:29 PM
Both of you make goods points, but could we use a saber and shot or rifle? I doubt it but just wondering. I think we can use all weapons but I wonder if you could build your character up with pow for blades and ata for guns and still have a good character??? tell me what you think about that idea because I want feedback before I do it (not that I can do it anytime soon).

DarK-SuN
Oct 21, 2005, 03:07 PM
It should be possible to make a "jack of all trades" character like you're sugesting, but bare in mind it's likely he'll not be able to excell at anything if you try to distribute skill through every weapon ability evenly.
Again, that's just a theory, since we don't even know how the game really handles it yet.

Rion772
Oct 21, 2005, 03:13 PM
On 2005-10-21 13:07, DarK-SuN wrote:
It should be possible to make a "jack of all trades" character like you're sugesting, but bare in mind it's likely he'll not be able to excell at anything if you try to distribute skill through every weapon ability evenly.
Again, that's just a theory, since we don't even know how the game really handles it yet.

I don't want a "Jack of all trades" character. What I meant was only excel in guns and blades so not much techs will be used.

Zindura
Oct 21, 2005, 05:53 PM
Hi everyone, first post on the forums and stuff.

Anyways, since we don't know a lot about how weapon classes, skill, and stats work yet, there are a ton of possible answers to your question.

Just from how requirements have been based on past PSO games, I'd guess your character would require certain stats to wield a weapon. Maybe when you level up (since there will most likely be character levels in PSU), the stat increases will be based upon how you fought the battles to gain your experience (e.g. Melee attacks, ranged attacks, tech usage, blah). This would make it difficult to switch to something entirely different, or at least less effective than a person who has been using guns right from the start.

However, if ST decides to determine proficiency based upon skill with a weapon class (maybe like FFXI or something), that'd be something completely different.

In the end most builds will balence out, I'd imagine, so you probably can't create a "bad" or "weak" character. It'll probably be along the lines of "specialized" or "well-rounded" and the area in between.

DarK-SuN
Oct 21, 2005, 07:56 PM
On 2005-10-21 13:13, Rion772 wrote:

On 2005-10-21 13:07, DarK-SuN wrote:

I don't want a "Jack of all trades" character. What I meant was only excel in guns and blades so not much techs will be used.

You didn't realise that a "jack of all trades" is what you want (a jack of all trades of combat), but focussing only in combat skills (guns and blades), ignoring the magical aspect (which you can still cast, even if weak, thus enforcing the jack of all trades thing since you'll be able to cast an emergency resta if needed).
Even if you just focus on two things (out of three, no matter the combination of the three you have in mind), it'll still be weaker than if you just focussed on one of them, which is logical.

Mind you, I'll be focussing on close range with some gun ability (in case there's some need for long range attacks), so I essentially want what you want for my main character (just not as balanced, since I'll still focus more on close range than long range, just won't ignore long range), but I'm also very much aware that if I have to spread stats between those two things that I WILL be weaker in any of them compared with someone who just focussed on a single one of them.

Of course, like I said (which you didn't seem to read), we don't know how the game trully handles things, so we're all purely speculating considering the little we know.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarK-SuN on 2005-10-21 17:57 ]</font>

PhruitBaskit
Oct 21, 2005, 08:48 PM
Do we even know that you'll get to pick how you distribute your skills (example: 1 point to blade use, 2 points to gun use, and 3 points to tech use)? I would rather have more of a PSO-type system where your strength with the weapon you have equipped is in proportion to the strength of your char. That way what you use the most (blades, guns, techs) won't be any better than what you use the least. I would rather just be uber strong with every kind of weapon.

Rion772
Oct 23, 2005, 06:36 PM
I just really hope I can have a character that will be strong with blades (cc) but also be able to use rifles (for long range) and shots (for groups of enemies) and still have a really powerful character.

PhruitBaskit
Oct 23, 2005, 09:57 PM
On 2005-10-23 16:36, Rion772 wrote:
I just really hope I can have a character that will be strong with blades (cc) but also be able to use rifles (for long range) and shots (for groups of enemies) and still have a really powerful character.

So do we all...except some people will want techs instead of rifles and shots.

_Tek_
Oct 24, 2005, 01:18 AM
The only restriction will be your race stats. You'll be able to use any weapon, but it would be wiser to use what your race is best for.

Rion772
Oct 24, 2005, 05:27 AM
Does anyone know what humans are best for? are they balanced out between techs, guns, & blades???

Kent
Oct 24, 2005, 06:15 AM
It's a given, that Humans will be the balanced characters. (main reason I'm going to use one)

Whereas Newmen will be better with techniques some, but a little less so with other weapons (but by now means bad, obviously), and Casts are best with guns (mainly guns, I'm guessing) and melee weapons.

I think Beasts will probably be some of the best in melee combat, but that's just speculation, but it'd make sense; one race is best with techniques, one is best with guns, one is best in melee, and one is balanced out between the three.

I still don't know, though, about how skills/stats are being done. I don't know if they'll be static, where they go up a set amount when you level up (PSO-style), or if you'll be able to choose where some points go...

Given the choice, I'd probably distribute my stats rather evenly between melee and techniques, maybe ranged as well.

OdinTyler
Oct 24, 2005, 10:11 AM
Im used to distributing stats as I gain lvls (from EQOA). However, I have a longer history of somewhat pre-added stats upon gaining a lvl. If we had a confirmation of what the exact stat types there are & whether or not we choose allocation or not would help me pre-render chars in my mind. Then, I can have a better idea what to do when Day One comes.