PDA

View Full Version : doom - teh m0vie

KaFKa
Oct 22, 2005, 04:16 AM
So... I watched it tonight. Spoilers below.

SPOILER TAG

It started out fine, nice and slow. I expected it to pick up the pace about 20 minutes into the movie. But it never really happened. the pacing was horrible. Of course, one could cite doom 3 and its fast then slow then even faster pacing, but the movie never really picked up until well... the VERY end.

They did a lackluster job of explanations of where the demons were from, although it was a nice litle sidetrack.

I personally would have liked it more if there was less science and more... DOOM. Thats what I loved about the series, the satanic and demonic notions and the delving into the human phyche. The movie did something like that, but with much less tenacity.

Among all of it though, the acting on a few parts were great. (although im going to get crucified for saying this) The Rock did an amazing acting job on this one, as well as the actor portraying the hero/reaper. (god i cant remember his name.) The actor that played Goat was very good as well.

When the movie went into FPS mode, It took every ounce of my strength to not laugh myself into the fetal position. It was that hilarious.

All in all though, as a stand-alone movie it was allright. But it wasnt worthy of the Doom name. Not enough blood, not enough horror, and not enough satanic notions.

discuss.

PS: AOL probably funded the entire movie project, seeing as their logo is in EVERY SINGLE SHOT IN THE GOD DAMN MOVIE.

Skorpius
Oct 22, 2005, 04:30 AM
Mixed opinions about the movie.

The problem is, the movie will succeed regardles of how good it is, a lot of people knew it would suck, and 85% of those people probably have, or will, see this movie. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

ABDUR101
Oct 22, 2005, 10:15 AM
You can't take a game to movie-form, because there are too many different reasons why people like the game, that won't transfer over to a movie.

When I saw the FPS shots in the trailer I thought it was quite retarded, we're watching a god damn movie, so unless they used the FPS scenes to REALLY have shit jump out at you and scare you, it was a stupid idea. Camera angles are essential to a movie, you can't just throw shit in because it will be "unique".

I did'nt plan on seeing it anyway, but interesting to hear about it. Prolly one of those movies I'll notice further down the line and give a rent.

ai_no_usagi
Oct 22, 2005, 02:20 PM
Doom can't be a movie.
why? because Doom has NO story!
there's a base on Mars, Hell, demons, BFG, and you go blowin shit up. not movie material.
I'll go see it anyway, I guess. at least it'll be better than somestuff that's out now *excluding Wallace Gromit*

one question though: was the Cacaodemon in it??

Skorpius
Oct 22, 2005, 05:19 PM
On 2005-10-22 12:20, ai_no_usagi wrote:
Doom can't be a movie.
why? because Doom has NO story!

Did you even play Doom? >_> There's a story..

ABDUR101
Oct 22, 2005, 05:40 PM
On 2005-10-22 15:19, Skorpius wrote:
Did you even play Doom? >_> There's a story..

Well, in the earlier Doom's, there was a premise, but not a real story like Doom 3 illustrated.

Much like Duke Nukem has a story, but it needs elaboration.

Why? How? Who? If a movie can't delve deeper than the game into a story, then whats the point of making it other than merely cashing in on the franchise.

Bungee950
Oct 23, 2005, 08:40 AM
If I see it, I'll shit myself. It looks AMAZING, but I hate scary/bloody/loud movies.

Solstis
Oct 23, 2005, 08:44 AM
Doom had a plot (Go to A because of B. Shoot C. Save D). It lacked a real backstory until recently, I think.

Hrigg
Oct 23, 2005, 10:56 AM
My brother saw, and said it was decent.

I don't know if I'll see it, I might rent it, since we do have that massive surround sound... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Allos
Oct 24, 2005, 09:04 AM
As long as you enter the movie with low expectations, your low expectations will be met and the movie will seem decent.

And for the record, the original DOOM had a backstory. Read the instruction manual.

ai_no_usagi
Oct 24, 2005, 03:40 PM
I mentioned the Mars base, and Hell >_< isn't that good enough for youuu??
it's just not a story that can be translated into a movie. it makes a great game, because you are walking around and blasting the crap out of demons. but watching The Rock blast demons and walk around Mars Base doesn't sound very exciting. maybe the movie is based on Doom 3, maybe Doom 3 had a grand, epic story, but I'm talking about the original Doom, which I'm under the impression that Doom the movie is based on Doom 1.

but I suppose it would make more sense for it to be based off of Doom 3, than Doom 1, just since 3 is the newest, and more people have played it.

I still need to see it, but I really only want to know what demons are in it.

Allos
Oct 24, 2005, 04:11 PM
On 2005-10-24 13:40, ai_no_usagi wrote:
I mentioned the Mars base, and Hell >_< isn't that good enough for youuu??
it's just not a story that can be translated into a movie. it makes a great game, because you are walking around and blasting the crap out of demons. but watching The Rock blast demons and walk around Mars Base doesn't sound very exciting. maybe the movie is based on Doom 3, maybe Doom 3 had a grand, epic story, but I'm talking about the original Doom, which I'm under the impression that Doom the movie is based on Doom 1.

Actually, the movie is based much more off of Doom 3 than the original games. And the instruction manual of the original game tells you you're a space marine who's been transferred to Mars for assaulting a superior officer elsewhere. The UAC has been conducting experiments with interdimensional portals on Mars moons Phobos and Deimos, and recently they sent out a distress signal saying something came through the portals (and Deimos disappears entirely). You and the other marines are sent in and you secure the base perimeter, hearing screams and gunfire inside. Then you're the only marine left and you have to survive.

So therefore, saying the story is just about a Mars base and Hell wouldn't be accurate.

but I suppose it would make more sense for it to be based off of Doom 3, than Doom 1, just since 3 is the newest, and more people have played it.

How the fuck does that make sense at all??? The original Doom has been out for over a decade. I'm sure a hell of a lot more people have played it than Doom 3.

geewj
Oct 24, 2005, 04:21 PM
Popular title + scary movie + October = $$$

Give em enough tries at these videogame movies they'll get it right eventually.

Allos
Oct 24, 2005, 05:33 PM
On 2005-10-24 14:21, geewj wrote:
Popular title + scary movie + October = $$$

Haha, and ironically it only brought in 15 million last weekend while it had an 70 million dollar budget.

Blitzkommando
Oct 24, 2005, 06:24 PM
Personally, seeing that they didn't base it on Doom itself, it could have very easily been Doom II based. Doom II had the best storyline of any of the Doom games. That is, if you actually read the nice PDF of the storyline that is inlcuded with it. Sure it would have been a sequel, but really, Doom 3 was too so... Why do I say Doom II? Hell. On. Earth. Simple, that would have given it so much more fun with demons terrorizing all the major cities and whatnot rather than a Martian base.

In any event, I can watch it when it comes to Blockbuster.