PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Fee?

vox3om
Oct 22, 2005, 07:12 PM
I imagine that there is going to be a monthly fee for this game since it is an MMORPG. Also because it is going to be formatted for PC and the only free MMORPG on PC is Guild Wars. But anyways...I was just wondering if anyone had any idea on how much the monthly fee would cost ($10 like for the GC release of Episodes 1&2?).

DarK-SuN
Oct 22, 2005, 07:20 PM
ORPG, not MMORPG, even if it is a lot more "massive" than PSO ever was.
Although, considering PSO had a monthly fee, expect PSU to also have one; mind you, I'd be pleasently surprised if it was for free.

Side note: Guild Wars is not a MMORPG, it's as "massive" as PSU is promising to be.
Go to cities, meet hundreds of people, then form a party (or solo) and go to an area to do missions or just to wack monsters on the head without anyone else bothering you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarK-SuN on 2005-10-22 17:21 ]</font>

vox3om
Oct 22, 2005, 07:41 PM
Well yeah you are right, I just put MMORPG. Wasn't technically thinking of the MM part. It is just an online RPG. And I must say that I would also be pleasantly surprised if there was no fee. Actually I would be in love.

Lovejuice
Oct 22, 2005, 08:03 PM
Yes, it will be fee based. It's been mentioned in the odd Press Release, and if you want to see for yourself, have a snoop in the Sega USA PR FTP (ftp://segapr.segaamerica.com/), the majority of PSU Documents up on there state such. So, to quote the most recent one, from the DigitalLife NY fest:

The fee-based online mode in Phantasy Star Universe continues where the offline mode?s story leaves off. Players are given the opportunity to travel with a squad of other adventurers, enter urban sprawls teeming with hundreds of players, and build their avatars into powerful warriors.

Although, what is perhaps the most interesting thing within the document, is the following:

A giant game world that will evolve with new content online over the course of several years.

Well I suppose, 5 years on, and people are playing (and paying monthly for) the latest spawn of PSO even now, we shouldn't be too suprised, really.. PSU Ver.2 - Aquamarine Assault, anyone? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_turnip.gif

How much it'll steal from your purse monthly, however, is all a big magical mystery..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lovejuice on 2005-10-22 18:08 ]</font>

PhotonCat
Oct 23, 2005, 11:32 AM
PSU really shouldn't have a fee to play online, although I'm sure it will.(this is Sega we're talking about...)

Why?
PSU is NOT a MMORPG. It is the same as Guild Wars, D2, ect. All those can be played online for free, get free content updates AND are hacker/duper free for the most part.

PSU will not be able to compete with other games if it has a fee for online gameing.

PSO ep. 1&2/BB did ok in the begining, but they aren't top sellers now.

You really aren't getting what you pay for.(IMO).

Now, I like PSO and are looking foward to PSU, but Sega has shown they can't handle this online gaming stuff.
PSO is filled with dupers, hackers and the like. They never update it with anything worthwhile.

And this is where our money is going ?

I sure hope they change their ways with PSU.

kazuma56
Oct 23, 2005, 11:44 AM
I think I remeber EGM's article stating it would be around 15 or so dollars...or equivalent to what PSOBB is atm.

PhruitBaskit
Oct 23, 2005, 12:50 PM
15 dollars!?! Screw that!!! As fun as PSU is going to be, 15 bucks a month is an outragous fee for any game. Photon Cat had a point when she said PSU really shouldn't have a fee to play online. I would say that PSU should not have a fee. That way more people would be able to play online and PSU won't have any competition (the only competition PSU has so far is every game where online mode is free!).

vox3om
Oct 23, 2005, 12:59 PM
Yeah I must say that a fee would almost be obsurd. And to be quite honest, if PSO and Sega want to compete with the online RPG's it has no chance, esp. since its not MMORPG. And also if SEGA were to decide not to charge a monthly fee for this game their would be no competition in the Free Online play games like Guild Wars. PSU would be a lot better than GW or D2. There would be a ton of buyers for SEGA.
Another thing I have considered...why the sudden change for systems? I realize that sony and sega have a little something goin on, but why the addition to PC? Doesn't that make it even more reasonable for no monthly fee?

PhruitBaskit
Oct 23, 2005, 01:06 PM
On 2005-10-23 10:59, vox3om wrote:
Another thing I have considered...why the sudden change for systems? I realize that sony and sega have a little something goin on, but why the addition to PC? Doesn't that make it even more reasonable for no monthly fee?

I think it's on PC because of BB. And yes it does make free online that much more reasonable.

vox3om
Oct 23, 2005, 01:09 PM
Phruit Basket...which system are you buying it for...if you buy it? PC or PS2?

I almost want to buy it for PS2 so I can skip the worries of reaching PC requirements...any news on whether the graphics will be any better for either one?

PhruitBaskit
Oct 23, 2005, 01:17 PM
I'm definately buying it, and when I do, it'll be for PS2. The graphics will be a little better for PC, but nomatter what you get it on, the graphics are going to be sweeet.

vox3om
Oct 23, 2005, 02:30 PM
any reason why you want to get it for PS2?

Rion772
Oct 23, 2005, 06:02 PM
I expect there to be a fee, although it's possible that there won't be.

PhruitBaskit
Oct 23, 2005, 09:20 PM
On 2005-10-23 12:30, vox3om wrote:
any reason why you want to get it for PS2?

Mostly because I'm used to playing on PS2, I like the controls, and I have all the stuff I need to go online (besides the 15 dollars LOL) and like you said to skip the worries of reaching PC requirements. I'd just rather experience PSU on a console like PSO. And if the servers are linked we'll all be playing together anyways, right?

OdinTyler
Oct 24, 2005, 10:15 AM
To quote a friend of mine:

(insert...groan...here.)

Not surprised. But, its PS so Ill pay. Maybe we should rally so we can pay in meseta instead of dollars. Then, maybe I wouldnt mind so much. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

PhruitBaskit
Oct 24, 2005, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I think I could afford to pay the bill with meseta. (15 bucks, though, jeez!)

FrozenFlame41
Oct 24, 2005, 04:38 PM
15 dollars isn't much. First of all WoW is 15 a month, and FFXI is $13 a month, but it is 99.99% certain you have a mule or two, which adds up to ~$15.

$15 dollars isn't a lot, especially if you have a damn job. Thats like 2-3 hours or work that pays off a full month

Not to mention a fee will weed out the idiots for the most part. Compare a game like Runescape(easy access, free, etc) to Final Fantasy XI. The community on FFXI isn't as idiotic. Without a fee you'll have morons of all shapes, sizes, and levels of idiocy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FrozenFlame41 on 2005-10-24 14:39 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Oct 24, 2005, 09:33 PM
Actually, thats not true. A fee tends to bring out the idiots. Or is it that ppl act idiotic in spite of whether there is a fee or not? Idk but the presence of a fee or not doesnt matter when you cant help how EVERYONE acts online. Its more a question of can you come up with the cash for the fee & if so, are you the one paying for it? Generally, you can tell by the attitude & personality of the player who is REALLY paying.
It really helps in determining the types of ppl you associate with. Avoid certain mentalities & gravitate towards others. Aaah, the joys of online interactivity...

For the record, I pay my own way for the online fees. Sure, Id rather not pay but if its gonna be 15 bucks for RPG bliss...sure. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kurosawa
Oct 24, 2005, 10:00 PM
They can't charge the same kind of fee that SE does for FF XI and expect people to pay it. FF XI is cheat free and is constantly upgraded with new content. PSU will be hacked to death probably even before the US release and have very little new content, especially for NA users.

$15 a month for a game that WILL be full of dupes and cheating and no new content? Forget that.

OdinTyler
Oct 24, 2005, 10:45 PM
On 2005-10-24 20:00, Kurosawa wrote:
They can't charge the same kind of fee that SE does for FF XI and expect people to pay it. FF XI is cheat free and is constantly upgraded with new content. PSU will be hacked to death probably even before the US release and have very little new content, especially for NA users.

$15 a month for a game that WILL be full of dupes and cheating and no new content? Forget that.

...and the community loses a player before even TRYING the game...nice...

Kurosawa
Oct 24, 2005, 11:49 PM
I'll play the game, but if it has a fee like FF XI I won't play it for long. That's just too much money considering the fact that there WILL be very little new content for NA and it WILL get hacked and badly.

If it's free or even cheap like version 2 or maybe even GC PSO then it won't be too bad. But they can't charge anything over $10 a month and expect people to pay it, especially considering that ST has a terrible track record as far as online security and new content goes.

Jools
Oct 25, 2005, 01:17 AM
When I played it at TGS the PC version looked much nicer.

-Jools

kazuma56
Oct 25, 2005, 02:23 AM
did everyone just stop reading my post after the 15 dollar point? I did say that it might also be equivalent to what BB is (its like 8-9 bucks american and 11.50 or so canadian).

OdinTyler
Oct 25, 2005, 11:04 AM
I didnt. Just going with the flow. It may start at 8-10 & work its way up, none of us know for sure. All we can hope is we get enough of what we pay for: added content, security, server cleanings to lessen freezeups/blackscreens, etc. Things as such that you come to expect when paying to play.

PhruitBaskit
Oct 25, 2005, 12:46 PM
On 2005-10-24 20:45, OdinTyler wrote:

...and the community loses a player before even TRYING the game...nice...

No kidding! Where the hell's your crystal ball!?! You dont' know that PSU will be overrun by hacks, dupes, and shit for new content. You don't even know that PSU will be 15 bucks a month. All you're doing is making a bunch of lame-ass assumptions about PSU. It's still going to be Phantasy Star, and yes they can expect people to pay it!

(speaking to Kurosawa, not Tyler)

OdinTyler
Oct 25, 2005, 04:53 PM
Ya better not be talking to ME, Phruit...damn rustbucket! LOL J/K I'll slip you a Rusty Mickey! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

FrozenFlame41
Oct 25, 2005, 06:08 PM
Whoever said PSU Will be hacked like crazy....well its taking every ounce of self control not to burst a million flames out.

How dumb can you get though? if PSU Is gonna have third party protection devices AND server side saving, how in the hell can you hack? It would be like trying to hack into FFXI, which no one has successfully done so for 3 years now....

Sega even mentioned they are taking all precautions to prevent hacking, not any idiot can dupe now, and most likely will be caught in the act since its server sided + protection on it

Zarode
Oct 25, 2005, 07:51 PM

God, reading all this makes me want to strangle the lot of you. ST is cleaning up their act. Play Blue Burst, that is updated as fast or faster as the JP verison was, got it? I'm serious, I have played that verison.

The game hasn't released and you guys are whinning over the fee already? Jeez. 15 bucks is not big money. You will get your first month free online anyways. Besides, you gotta beat the offline mode to get online, remember? I doubt they have changed that, and quite frankly, that is a bold and great move.

If you can't pay for it yourself and your parents arn't willin' to dish out the moolah; then you're gonna have to stay content with the massive offline world.

<_< Yes, that was sorta a rant. Leave me be, and no flamin' back.

(lol the lot of you http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif I didn't know one person can clone their selfs... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zarode on 2005-10-25 17:52 ]</font>

Cross
Oct 25, 2005, 08:25 PM
Not that I'd really expect Sega to have great, secure service (although there's always hope), but comparing it to Square-Enix is not the way to make your point if you want to say that Sega's service sucks. You know, considering that FFXI's service is pretty much the worst in the business.

Anyway, I'd grumble a bit at $15/month for PSU, and I'd expect it to be more around $9-10 like PSO. Personally, I think that Sega would find that it's much more profitable for them to not have a monthly fee and use a business model like the one that ArenaNet is using for Guild Wars. Given the choice between getting a monthly fee out of a very small dedicated fanbase of a few thousand at best isn't really much when you think about how many more people would actually buy the game if there were no fee (think back to PSO v1 on the Dreamcast, and how there were probably at least ten times the online population than any other version of PSO has managed to reach). And if they were really going for a Guild Wars style business model, additional revenue from a reasonably-sized expansion every 6-9 months would keep the money coming in fairly steadily, while the playerbase would really feel that they're getting something for their money.
Of course, they'll never do that, especially since Sonic Team works incredibly slow on anything Phantasy Star and wouldn't be able to keep up with that rate of expansions. It's still a nice thought to entertain though.

PhotonCat
Oct 25, 2005, 11:34 PM
$15 a month isn't alot for an actual MMORPG like WoW, FF11 or EQ.(Hey, I subcribe to one).
Those games servers are regulated and are mostly hack/cheat free.

BUT, paying $15 or any amount at all a month for an online game that ISN'T a MMORPG is a waste of $$$.
And especially since Sega as a record of not careing about their own game.

PSU is gonna be the same as PSO which is the same as GW and D2.
They are games where you just go to a lobby/chat area and make a "room" where you do the same old randomly generated dungeons over and over.

There is no reason why you should have to pay for that.
GW and D2 are free. PSO shoulda been free.

No matter what's in PSU, it's gonna be no different than other MMOs of the same genre.

So, I cannot see PSU competeing with the others.
When ppl see it needs a fee and it's not an MMORPG, they are gonna think twice.

Yeah, there is gonna be some ppl who will pay it and play, but most ppl who already playing a MMORPG aren't gonna give up their current one(s) to pay for PSU.
And ppl who aren't paying a fee for any game - what makes you think they'd change their minds on PSU ?

Sega might not have a fee at all, but who knows.

therealAERO
Oct 25, 2005, 11:59 PM
Because it looks better than all the other crappy MMORPG's. PSU isn't trying to be an MMORPG. Its a sequel to Phantasy Star and Phantasy Star Online. What they did was make a new story, and added more things you can do online. You can now have 6 people in a party, 100 people in the lobby, vehicles, new weapons, new way of using weapons...etc. Anyway PSU is going to be more personal. In all my time play WOW I never met someone that I would want to actually hang out with. I tend to block them after a week, but with PSO I had more fun getting to know my team mates instead of being an insignifacant fly in a whole army.

Kurosawa
Oct 26, 2005, 10:12 PM
Just remember this: EVERY previous version of PSO, INCLUDING BB has had dupes and FSOD along with other cheats, and has been rarely updated with new quests, especially for NA players. There's no reason to think things will change now. They've already had 6 tries at it and everyone has been filled with problems. If you think the most recent FSOD fix means BB will stay cheat free, then you're pretty naive.

SE has their problems, but it's not like FF XI is filled with dupes. It's not. Your characters don't get destroyed wither like on previous versions of PSO. It has a lot of downtime and some horrible maintences, but if PSU was maintained as well as FF XI and had as much new content as FF XI has then I'd never even consider droping FF XI because I KNOW PSU will be much more fun to play.

All the PSO games have been really great except for Episode III which I didn't get into but was good for what it was. But the other PSO games were all brilliant. It's just the online service that's bad. I don't care about the fee as long as it's worth the money. The fee in and of itself isn't the issue with me. It's seeing everyone and his brother walking around with every rare that I can't stand.

vox3om
Oct 26, 2005, 10:46 PM
I support you on that one. Of course it may seem expensive ($15 per month) but in actuality that is 50 cents per day to play the game, and most of us will play for 2+ hours a day when the game comes out. That's a fraction of a penny per minute to play. You will be playing more than your share of that $15. But you are right, I think the bigger worry is dealing with duping and hacks and updates. I just think that no matter what the price is, I will eventually pay for it. But I want to have my money spent well. I want to enjoy playing with the people online (unlike I do in most online RPG's).

Oh and another thing...haha we have almost started a rumor about the online actually having a fee. We don't even know for sure if there is going to be one, and if there is one, we don't even have a positive answer on how much it will cost us to play. I don't think that we should worry about that right now, the game is going to be amazing like all the other PSO games.

OdinTyler
Oct 26, 2005, 10:51 PM
True, its going on presumption. However, its the presumption of ST following its trends. If the game ever did go free, imagine how many PSOW bodies youd 'hear' hitting the ground simultaneously from the sheer shock of it all???

Luce
Oct 26, 2005, 11:29 PM
Why is everybody ranting about how great FFXI is so what it has new content cos its not really new, FFXI repeats itself so much its not funny, everything about it is the same, and quite frankly EQ just plane out sucks, $15 isnt that much i was paying around $20 for FFXI and i have X-Live and Psobb and im not complaining and trust me I'm not anywhere close to rich PSU will be a whole lot better and is very different from any of these sucky onlines we have now

OdinTyler
Oct 27, 2005, 09:24 AM
On 2005-10-26 21:29, Luce wrote:
Why is everybody ranting about how great FFXI is so what it has new content cos its not really new, FFXI repeats itself so much its not funny, everything about it is the same, and quite frankly EQ just plane out sucks, $15 isnt that much i was paying around $20 for FFXI and i have X-Live and Psobb and im not complaining and trust me I'm not anywhere close to rich PSU will be a whole lot better and is very different from any of these sucky onlines we have now

Ummm...yeah. Arent we being a bit presumptious to say we're ALL loving FF? Id be the 1st to tell you FFXI was a mistake. EQ is really good & underrated by alot of ppl. The PS2 ver. is far different from the PC counterparts so for those that arent into heavy PC gaming could give that a try. Back to FFXI, it copied EQ SO MUCH, its ridiculous & POORLY copied, at that! Im not going to pay PER char. Thats just insane. Ive heard alot of good things about WoW but I havent been able to check it out other than older screenshots I saw long before many even KNEW about the game.
If I have a choice (& now I do), my priority is switching back to PS, in anticipation of the next
game. The customizations PS is showing is more than enough reason to play this game. Nevermind the story or the fact that its PS. From screenshots I saw long ago, I knew this would be the game that would bring me back home. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

PhruitBaskit
Oct 27, 2005, 12:02 PM
Like I said, I think Final Fantasy is WAY over rated.

OdinTyler
Oct 27, 2005, 12:43 PM
On 2005-10-27 10:02, PhruitBaskit wrote:
Like I said, I think Final Fantasy is WAY over rated.

And like I said, I couldnt agree more (overall), tho as I told you, there are notable exceptions in the series...& VII is NOT one of them.

Rion772
Oct 27, 2005, 02:47 PM
I actually don't really care about a monthly fee right about now. I just want to play.

Oh yeah and stay on topic.

Sakrei
Oct 28, 2005, 04:44 AM
I don't mind paying a monthly fee if the game is good and there is a decent free trial. I'd pay up to $15/month though I think it's more likely PSU will be $12-ish.

Some people have raised good points about cheating. I feel that since ST has redesigned online mode (server-side saving, NO connection between offline and online), it presents a true opportunity to drastically reduce or even eliminate hacking. For starters, no duping or hacking items offline (at least not stuff that you can then use online).

There is a whole bunch more ST can do server-side like data checks and detecting unusual client behaviour. Their track record in the past wasn't perfect, but they were limited in what they could do and they did rewrite the servers to block out some codes. I can only hope they kept hackers in mind while designing the new software.

Rion772
Oct 28, 2005, 04:51 AM
I think the monthly fee will be something like $14.95...

Yeah I hope they were thinking about the hackers and cheating on PSO as they're making PSU.

Blackwaltz-R
Nov 6, 2005, 04:56 PM
I signed In just to post in this thread specifically.

Trust me, no matter how good this game will be it will not be worth $10+. people who say $15 dollars isnt much obviously do no have a sense of value. If they are going to charge near $10 or more, it would have to prvoide alot more that it is initially offering us. Right now Guildwars is free, and offers more than PSU would (even tho I do not like GW I liked FFXI alot more even).

A few key things stand out:

FFXI has 5 races and 15 jobs, 75 combinations.

PSU has 4 races and 3 "jobs" (granted that from what I can tell the weapons define your "job"), 12 combinations.

FFXI offers greater diversity, and even makes earning these jobs part of the game.

From what I can tell PSUs character customizations are deeper than ffxi, but that doesn't really matter unless updates include more customization options in updates as apposed to FFXIs new jobs periodiclly.

PSU offers us 4 slots for characters for no extra costs, but that still kinda pales since in FFXI you prolly wouldn't make a new character to grind jobs all over again.

PSU may be more enjoyable to play, tho I did like FFXI since it made other MMOs and online adventure games feel like childsplay, like they were meant to be played by 5 year olds.

The game isn't massive even tho the lobbies will support alot more people, not that either of these really make either game better. the point is FFXI is offering something more for our buck.

PSOv1 was the first online adventure games I'v ever played, and until I've played other online adventure games, I didn't realize much PSOeps1&2 wasn't worth 9 dollars a month. PSOv2 was more modest at 5 dollars a month in 3 month intervals, but wasn't really worth that much either but it was more tolerable.

basiclly their are other games to play and other things to do in general than to pay for games that are generally not worth paying for. after playing a game for 5 months that could have been a whole new videogame right their.

Alot of us play multiple online games that ask us to shell out cash for them, if you play 2 of them that thats 20-30 dollars a month. Others can commit to one game, we would much rather try out other games, but the fees force us to choose.

My general point is that PSU will not be worth more than $5 a month if they really HAVE to charge. they should be glad they can get another dollar out of us at all. We tell them with our money what we are willing to tolerate. If you are willing to pay for more of the same, that is all they will give us until we stop paying them for rehashes.

If ST charges more than $5 dollars a month I would suggest that no one support it. I know most of you won't agree mainly because your around 17 or younger and don't know the value of your time and money, I know I didn't.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 6, 2005, 05:30 PM
Whatever dude! Phantasy Star kicks Final Fantasy ass any day of the year! And you speak of Final Fantasy like it's is better than PS...Which it isn't

Stupid naysayers...Talking crap about PSU. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Makes me mad! ::transforms into the Hulk and kills the anti-PSers::

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PhruitBaskit on 2005-11-06 17:48 ]</font>

Rion772
Nov 6, 2005, 05:32 PM
Yeah...I'm 100% positive more than 80% of the PSOW members here would pay $10-15 to play PSU. It is worth it if it's $10+ because it's like a newer, better version of PSO.

Blackwaltz-R
Nov 6, 2005, 06:23 PM
yes its newer, but how is it better? or rather, hows is it betetr enough to be worth $10 dollars or more? eps1&2 werent even worth the 9 dollars, thoe the fact you could also play eps3 on the same HL made up for it. If PSU uses the same same HL, that may make up for it. otherwise, I would like to here why you would think it would be worth a fee.

in other words, "PSO rocks!" just does not cut it, don't be suprised if you can't put your reasons into words, this is what all industries hope for when targeting the young. They usually have no idea what they want, so they need those who wish to exploit that to tell them. I wasn;t making a statement that FFXI is better then PSU, my point is their are more games out their that offer more than what PSU offers for its price. I don't see anything that psu is worth paying a monthly fee over.

Weapons you can only get online? is that what we are paying for? playing with people around the world? you cna play with 4 people offline, OR with people that host their own servers(version2), yet are able to do it for free(several hundred peeps, as much or even more than the official US servers). Is the only difference is that the private servers do it out of their leisure while the official servers do it as a business?

basiclly the scope of this game pales to the scope of other games that utilize an online payment system. Guildwars is free even, tho I didn't like the game PSU will have to offer more than GW in order to justify a monthly fee. There are options, options that offer more than what PSU may or has to offer. I know some of you have't played many other games and don't have the freedom of choice others may have, but trust me, you would NOT be getting your moneys worth, despite this being a matter of opinion.

cause my opinion doesn;t stop at the fact that their are other games to play, my point is also that people shouldn't have to continue to pay for leisure, we have enough of that already with food, utilities, rent, internet, cell phone. We don't need one of our methods of enjoying ourselves to also cost us more money. We shouldn't have to continue paying for games.

"$10 dollars isnt alot"

yeah, after a year thats $120 dollars, imagien what you could have done with that. you could have bought 3-6 or more games with that. if you include how much you payed to get the game thats $140-$170, all into ONE game over a years time. actaully itd prolly be $10 less with their free month, but $15/month? lmao thats over $200 in a years time.

Some of us don't even play these games that often either, another reason why it wouldn't be worth it is cuz you would have to play the game alot to justify the money you put into. I know some of you have nothign but time on your hands, but many people don't. I myself do have plenty of tiem on my hands but I can't play games for that long unless they are really good. Some of you may turn out the same way when you get older, I played psov1 for a weekend straight when I was like 16, now I doubt I could play PSO for more than like 4 hours tops.

PSU will just be more of the same but little mroe fleshed out for asthetics, thats about it. Anyone who sais this game would be worth it, explain why you think its worth it, I didn't go out of my way to type all this just to hear,"PSU will rock!". as your defense.

Rion772
Nov 6, 2005, 06:37 PM
On 2005-11-06 15:23, Blackwaltz-R wrote:
yes its newer, but how is it better? or rather, hows is it betetr enough to be worth $10 dollars or more? eps1&2 werent even worth the 9 dollars, thoe the fact you could also play eps3 on the same HL made up for it. If PSU uses the same same HL, that may make up for it. otherwise, I would like to here why you would think it would be worth a fee.

in other words, "PSO rocks!" just does not cut it, don't be suprised if you can't put your reasons into words, this is what all industries hope for when targeting the young. They usually have no idea what they want, so they need those who wish to exploit that to tell them. I wasn;t making a statement that FFXI is better then PSU, my point is their are more games out their that offer more than what PSU offers for its price. I don't see anything that psu is worth paying a monthly fee over.

Weapons you can only get online? is that what we are paying for? playing with people around the world? you cna play with 4 people offline, OR with people that host their own servers(version2), yet are able to do it for free(several hundred peeps, as much or even more than the official US servers). Is the only difference is that the private servers do it out of their leisure while the official servers do it as a business?

basiclly the scope of this game pales to the scope of other games that utilize an online payment system. Guildwars is free even, tho I didn't like the game PSU will have to offer more than GW in order to justify a monthly fee. There are options, options that offer more than what PSU may or has to offer. I know some of you have't played many other games and don't have the freedom of choice others may have, but trust me, you would NOT be getting your moneys worth, despite this being a matter of opinion.

cause my opinion doesn;t stop at the fact that their are other games to play, my point is also that people shouldn't have to continue to pay for leisure, we have enough of that already with food, utilities, rent, internet, cell phone. We don't need one of our methods of enjoying ourselves to also cost us more money. We shouldn't have to continue paying for games.

"$10 dollars isnt alot"

yeah, after a year thats $120 dollars, imagien what you could have done with that. you could have bought 3-6 or more games with that. if you include how much you payed to get the game thats $140-$170, all into ONE game over a years time. actaully itd prolly be $10 less with their free month, but $15/month? lmao thats over $200 in a years time.

Some of us don't even play these games that often either, another reason why it wouldn't be worth it is cuz you would have to play the game alot to justify the money you put into. I know some of you have nothign but time on your hands, but many people don't. I myself do have plenty of tiem on my hands but I can't play games for that long unless they are really good. Some of you may turn out the same way when you get older, I played psov1 for a weekend straight when I was like 16, now I doubt I could play PSO for more than like 4 hours tops.

PSU will just be more of the same but little mroe fleshed out for asthetics, thats about it. Anyone who sais this game would be worth it, explain why you think its worth it, I didn't go out of my way to type all this just to hear,"PSU will rock!". as your defense.

I'm not reading that because bottom line; if you have a job then it's not a lot of money, PSO has lasted for 5 years ok? people spend $300 or whatever on iPods that only last about 2 years and where I'm from about 85% of my schools population (2,000 people) has one. Money isn't usually a problem for people who have an internet connection and play game online currently. Did you ever think that people wouldn't bother talking about this game and making over 100+ post here if they weren't going to get this game?

I can garauntee that 25% of the people on this forum would buy this game even if the online price was $25. The point is that the online fee doesn't really matter to a lot of us because we've been playing the PS series for a long time and want to continue on playing it.

Blackwaltz-R
Nov 6, 2005, 06:55 PM
I haven't posted here in 2 years so don't expect me to get this game anytime soon if theirs a fee, especilly at $15 dollars a month.

I figured you didnt read it sicne your repsonse was pretty fast http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif and no PSO didn't last 5 years, people just HOPED it would get better, and it has only marginally. We're are still playing the same game that came out 5 years ago but with more of the same. Just because you say its not alot doesn't mean its true, lets hear that from someone who is living on their own, who doesn't have to pay bills. If you are still too young to live on your own who have no right to make that statement.

Ipods are portable hard drives, so they are worth $200 but if all you do is play music on one then you have problems lol

The only thing redeeming about PSO is its simplicity, thats why any of us can play it for as long as we have. but if PSU is doing the same thing but with 2 more people. Then PSU can suckit. I was all for this game up until I realized that they may charge for this game. I already regret the money I wasted in the past games, I would have been content with just playing offline. After playing other online games PSO made me feel like I got fleeced.

The scope of PSU is not proportionate to a fee higher than $5/month. PSU has plenty of competition, which is my point, if you aren't doing betetr thean the competition, then you shouldn;t charge for it. Look at the matrix online, I knew that game wasnlt gonna be good since I couldn;t for the life of me imagine a way for that game to work in MMO form. yet optimists like you that say exactly what your saying now went and got it, and were disapointed.

It's not just that the game was buggy either, cause FFXI was buggy as hell, yet people still played it alot, matrix was just horrible in comparison to other games. I am a PSO fan, thats why I am against it having a fee, as much as I have played PSO I know how much the game is worth. It is not worth $15/month.

Rion772
Nov 6, 2005, 07:48 PM
On 2005-11-06 15:55, Blackwaltz-R wrote:
I haven't posted here in 2 years so don't expect me to get this game anytime soon if theirs a fee, especilly at $15 dollars a month.

I figured you didnt read it sicne your repsonse was pretty fast http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif and no PSO didn't last 5 years, people just HOPED it would get better, and it has only marginally. We're are still playing the same game that came out 5 years ago but with more of the same. Just because you say its not alot doesn't mean its true, lets hear that from someone who is living on their own, who doesn't have to pay bills. If you are still too young to live on your own who have no right to make that statement.

Ipods are portable hard drives, so they are worth $200 but if all you do is play music on one then you have problems lol

The only thing redeeming about PSO is its simplicity, thats why any of us can play it for as long as we have. but if PSU is doing the same thing but with 2 more people. Then PSU can suckit. I was all for this game up until I realized that they may charge for this game. I already regret the money I wasted in the past games, I would have been content with just playing offline. After playing other online games PSO made me feel like I got fleeced.

The scope of PSU is not proportionate to a fee higher than $5/month. PSU has plenty of competition, which is my point, if you aren't doing betetr thean the competition, then you shouldn;t charge for it. Look at the matrix online, I knew that game wasnlt gonna be good since I couldn;t for the life of me imagine a way for that game to work in MMO form. yet optimists like you that say exactly what your saying now went and got it, and were disapointed.

It's not just that the game was buggy either, cause FFXI was buggy as hell, yet people still played it alot, matrix was just horrible in comparison to other games. I am a PSO fan, thats why I am against it having a fee, as much as I have played PSO I know how much the game is worth. It is not worth $15/month.

I have every right to say anything I want, and yes it has been out for 5 years, the series has been out for like 19 years or something, it started in the 80's. What you're telling me is that PS is over 15+ years old, it's not. Try like 11 though. I didn't get the matrix either, I didn't even think about buying it. I do research about the games I'm going to get before I get them too, like PSU, I've been reading up on this game for months now, I've been here for every update in the past 2-3 months as well. If you've read everything and have seen every movie and you were a devoted PS fan then you wouldn't hesitate to buy this game at all. Once again I didn't read you're whole post, just skimmed through, theres a storm coming so I didn't have much time to fully reply to your post and read the whole thing.

Naithepurple
Nov 6, 2005, 08:01 PM
OOOOH, i have an idea. This is gonna be great. Every1 cancels they're subscriptions until they lower the price! (Downside: They might discontinue the game http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif)

Rion772
Nov 6, 2005, 08:55 PM
Feel free to try, but since it's your idea you're the leader and all the angry PSU players will come to you first if it fails...

PhruitBaskit
Nov 6, 2005, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking that a boycott is not going to happen. Like Rion said any true PS fan would look at the fee as it was nothing. Stupid fifteen dollars...

And go Rion...Talk some sense into that Blackwaltz-R PSU-hatin' you know what word goes here http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif And what the hell does he mean I can't use 'PSU will rock' as my defense. If that again, you know the word was around for all the updates and info, he would know that 'PSU will rock' is more than a valid defense...Stupid haters!

MEGAHAWK21x
Nov 6, 2005, 09:19 PM
I wouldnt mind a monthly fee.

1) Servers cost money to maintain. A monthly fee will only mean better maintanence meaning no dupers/ hackers.

2)If they plan on updating this game over the years, people have to create expansions and new quests. People arent going to work for free.

OdinTyler
Nov 6, 2005, 09:28 PM
Im gonna make it real simple. Dont come onto a forum bashing a game you really couldnt give a rat's ass about anyway. I saw plenty of ppl leave EQ on PS2, go to FFXI then come back just to bash EQ. If you dont like the game, dont play, dont talk bad about it. You dont like it, thats your opinion. Let others who WANT to play, enjoy it. No game is all positive & EVERY game has negatives, including your precious (& btw failing...because honestly, it is) FFXI.

In the immortal words of Stan Lee: 'Nuff said.

Rion772
Nov 7, 2005, 06:32 AM
I completely agree with ty, don't just come here to talk shit about a game that a lot of other people like. We come here to learn, debate, and just talk about PSU in general, you don't here others going "this game isn't worth the money" or "this game has like only 4 races! so it sucks!" etc, pretty much all of us here (and there is quite a few of us) are planning on getting this game because it looks pretty freakin' good.

vox3om
Nov 7, 2005, 01:28 PM
... lets hear that from someone who is living on their own, who doesn't have to pay bills. If you are still too young to live on your own who have no right to make that statement.

Ummm hey blackwaltz-R...I live on my own. I am willing to spend $15 a month to play this game. It's called having a life that can manage and afford things like this. If your job sucks so much that you can't pay another $15 a month...then haha I feel bad for YOU. what is $15? like 3 meals at McDonalds, one nights of fun on a weekend. I'd gladly give up one friday night at college to play PSU. Oh and another thing I don't know what you do for a living or what you do period, but try managing bills as a college student who will eventually be 100k in debt?

I think what you need to do, is stop bashing this game. Get a new job...and them possibly just stfu. (<--- sorry...I'm not happy)

Rion772
Nov 7, 2005, 06:24 PM
On 2005-11-07 10:28, vox3om wrote:

... lets hear that from someone who is living on their own, who doesn't have to pay bills. If you are still too young to live on your own who have no right to make that statement.

Ummm hey blackwaltz-R...I live on my own. I am willing to spend $15 a month to play this game. It's called having a life that can manage and afford things like this. If your job sucks so much that you can't pay another $15 a month...then haha I feel bad for YOU. what is $15? like 3 meals at McDonalds, one nights of fun on a weekend. I'd gladly give up one friday night at college to play PSU. Oh and another thing I don't know what you do for a living or what you do period, but try managing bills as a college student who will eventually be 100k in debt?

I think what you need to do, is stop bashing this game. Get a new job...and them possibly just stfu. (<--- sorry...I'm not happy)

Exactly, even though we aren't owing people money my mom is barely getting by with me here, seriously she couldn't work all summer and only makes $30k a year. SHE can even afford $15 a month.

Luce
Nov 7, 2005, 08:41 PM
Back to your so called PSU for young ppl who dont value of money well FFXI is for extremely nerdy 18-some other age who have no life, cant get a girlfriend actually has enough time to raise 20 differnt jobs to level 75 you may think its a waste of money but at least we're not pathetic

EJ
Nov 7, 2005, 08:54 PM
Please no need to flame him for stating his opinion even though it seems he was flame baiting but still let's keep on subject here.

As on subject we really don't know how much it will be but hopefully it will be affordable.

Rion772
Nov 7, 2005, 09:12 PM
Yeah Luce that was overboard and unnecessary.

Also of course PSU online will be affordable, it's a game we're talking about here, not a truck rental.

Luce
Nov 7, 2005, 09:24 PM
hes bashing PSU when none of us really entirely know what all is to come of it or how much updates and what not, also he bashed pretty much all pso players so how was i overboard back to the money topic, dont say $15 is too much when we havnt seen what all PSU will bring us

Rion772
Nov 7, 2005, 09:32 PM
Well he was bashing PSU but this part was an insult:

"Back to your so called PSU for young ppl who dont value of money well FFXI is for extremely nerdy 18-some other age who have no life, cant get a girlfriend actually has enough time to raise 20 differnt jobs to level 75 you may think its a waste of money but at least we're not pathetic"

Here and insult to someone is flaming and is against the forum rules, flaming isn't tolerated much.

I'm not trying to be a pain in your *** or anything and I'm not agreeing with Blackwaltz-R, I'm trying to help you out, just don't insult another member even if their flaming towards you (does that make sense?) just ignore it and they'll get either a verbal warning or banned.

Also does it even matter how much the online fee is? I mean seriously guys it won't be more than $20, it might even be free for all we know.

Zaphile
Nov 7, 2005, 09:37 PM
I'm guessing it will be anywhere from PSO's $8 to maybe $14 max.. However much it is, I'll be willing to pay, though~! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Luce
Nov 7, 2005, 09:38 PM
Freedom of speech?

anyways i could live with 15 no problem and even as much as i love pso and WILL love PSU and i know your not pointing to $20 that would be alittle much even though its only 5 more theres alot I could do with $5 of course everyones still jumping to $15 though that would be my guess as the fee also

Zaphile
Nov 7, 2005, 09:48 PM
Eww.. I don't think I'd be able to mess with $20 a month. I'd do it, just not very good. lol ><

Luce
Nov 7, 2005, 09:52 PM
i could do it but it would really have to meet my expectations with that said im not bashing it im just saying if it were in my hands... we'll just leave it at that cos there is too much to say on what i would do to it

Rion772
Nov 7, 2005, 10:00 PM
Here, on this site you lost your freedom of speech in that post. You lose it by insulting another individual, imposing on ones freedom, threatening another member, etc, it's all in the rules.

Why would any of you think it will be as cheap as PSO? PSU is superior to PSO, better graphics, new and better things, and it's a bigger game. Expect it to be around $15, that's a safe bet.

Luce
Nov 7, 2005, 10:02 PM
hey i think 15 is very reasonable though i could live with 20 it would be hard to accept it

Rion772
Nov 7, 2005, 10:06 PM
On 2005-11-07 19:02, Luce wrote:
hey i think 15 is very reasonable though i could live with 20 it would be hard to accept it

True that brother. I could go with 25 if I had no choice but I could easily deal with 15.

OdinTyler
Nov 7, 2005, 10:39 PM
This is one topic that deserves to be closed. Ppl need to stop freaking about an online fee. Theres going to be one, ppl just need to accept it. If its free, then praise the Great Light. Just dont expect it to happen. Seriously guys, contrary to what alot of ppl may say, theres fees for ALOT of online games. We dont want to pay, but, its just the reality of the system. If you truly want to play, youll pay. When the price gets out of hand, then, we should complain as one voice. Til then (& let the game come out at least first)...RELAX!

Zaphile
Nov 8, 2005, 12:29 PM
On 2005-11-07 19:39, OdinTyler wrote:
This is one topic that deserves to be closed. Ppl need to stop freaking about an online fee. Theres going to be one, ppl just need to accept it. If its free, then praise the Great Light. Just dont expect it to happen. Seriously guys, contrary to what alot of ppl may say, theres fees for ALOT of online games. We dont want to pay, but, its just the reality of the system. If you truly want to play, youll pay. When the price gets out of hand, then, we should complain as one voice. Til then (& let the game come out at least first)...RELAX!

*looks* I don't see anyone complaining about there being a price, only speculating what it might be.. But then again I didn't read anything before the last page so.. lol http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

rena-ko
Nov 8, 2005, 01:03 PM
to prevent further issues and since the topic seems to lead nowhere, lets close it, ne?