PDA

View Full Version : College.

anwserman
Oct 24, 2005, 01:02 AM
Another college rant.

First off, my apologies to Ryna for not having enough time to work on the BB maps. My apologies, I didn't fulfill my offer in making them so I feel like shit.

Let me continue on.

Homework has been a literal hell for me. Not due to procrastination, but because of the time involved. A couple weeks ago, I went to bed at 5AM twice in a row followed by going to bed at 2:30 AM, each with an 8AM class. Alas, this doesn't allow for comprehension for the material and guess what, I just failed my calculus class.

So, I just dropped a class so that should be working better for me now.

I also work at McDonalds - which isn't that bad and if I really needed to, I could ask for less hours - but I'm currently saving up money for college so I can study abroad in Japan in a year or so.

And the biggest thing that happened right now is that I am attracted to this guy, CS. He's bi, so at least I have a chance with him. Well, he's good looking, and we actually have common interests... video games and such. I asked him out on a date tonite, and guess what...! I got turned down because he wants to stay friends.

Which, really sucks because I am attracted to him. Alas, every other gay/bi guy I know of around here either has the personality of sandpaper towards me, or that I've said hi and they have shown no interest back.

God.
I need more sleep.

Good nite, and I hope that I can post here on PSOW since I dropped a class recently so I don';t fuck up all of my courses.

roygbiv
Oct 24, 2005, 02:02 AM
Failing classes sucks. I am failing at meeting people at college (to date...) which really just burns a hole in my heart. Learning is fun... Work is painful. I wish I could offer advice on sticking through things, but I personally am bitter to the very core.

Wasted the last three weeks trying to date some guy who would give the impression that he was interested ("Yeah we should meet up and do stuff this weekend") but in reality was just lame and couldn't keep a date to save his life.

Sad thing is that this means I have basically ruled out dating everyone except the freshmen... and a senior dating a freshman is wicked sketchy. =(

So yeah... the moral of the story is that math is hard, guys suck, and college makes me hurt.

plasmacutter
Oct 25, 2005, 09:42 AM
you think calc is hard try double majoring in econ and cs.

remember those horrific sets units in calculus (find the sum of infinite sets)... that's pretty much ALL YOU DO in cs.

double majoring is a pain in the arse too.. you spend all your time in the books.

That said, it's also hard to meet people when youre buried under mountains of programming projects, and to talk time consuming, you can't bs a program, it either works or it doesn't.. on the plus side once it works you generally get the full grade.

Right now i'm on a study break.. i'll have to get back to work in an hour, this week it's a midterm, a homework, 2 programming prjects, then another midterm! i'm so happy.

oh.. yeah.. and all the cute girls drop off the cs scene after intro courses. =(

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: plasmacutter on 2005-10-25 07:44 ]</font>

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 25, 2005, 01:51 PM
my advice: Wait until you're out of college to start dating or any of that stuff. The only girl I've dated was so i could go to the senior prom in high school, and that was 3 years ago. Unlaid and happy i am

Solstis
Oct 25, 2005, 06:33 PM
On 2005-10-25 11:51, Jonathan_F wrote:
my advice: Wait until you're out of college to start dating or any of that stuff. The only girl I've dated was so i could go to the senior prom in high school, and that was 3 years ago. Unlaid and happy i am

The dating pool is quite smaller outside of college. Annoyingly horny in college, but there's probably some good ones out there.

Not to say that you can't find dates outside of college (roy http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif ).

KodiaX987
Oct 25, 2005, 09:13 PM
Check out the entry lineup for Software Engineering I had on my program:

-Calculus I (2-2-2) 2 credits
-Linear Algebra & Vector Geometry (2-2-2) 2 credits
-Materials (3-0-3) 2 credits
-Computer (3-3-3) 3 credits
-Chemistry for engineers (2-2-2) 2 credits
-Mechanical physics for engineers (3-2-4) 3 credits

The numbers in parenthesis state the number of hours of theory, lab/exercises and personal homework per week. Therefore, a grand total of 15 hours of theory, 11 hours of lab, and 16 hours of homework.

Take note though that since I'm going for SOFTWARE!, there's little need to state that I was not even remotely motivated in my materials and chemistry classes. Not to mention that the hours of homework are purely theoretical and that a student, on average, will spend at least twice that amount of time per week because the people who made the program didn't factor in the fact that not every single student who applied at the school had an IQ of one million, and that in fact, most of them would need to spend a bit of time re-reading some of the book to finally understand what's going on. So that kicks us up to... at least 32 hours of homework a week. That's 4:30 hours per day, weekend included.

The teachers also love to give us homework that heavily relies on the use of a computer. While I have nothing against the use of computers as tools to help you better understand the stuff, the reality is that 80% of your homework time will be spent debugging your command line because the software refuses to accept it as it is and won't calculate the formula until you give it in the exact form it wants (most likely not within the help file) I've actually lost a day because I spent it debugging a two-page homework done using a math calculation program.

Also, let's not forget that teachers usually give homework that's curved to their capacities. Yes, they try to curve it more towards the students, but the fact remains that some questions are outright crazy. Quote from my electric teacher:

"I tested the homework, and I expect it to take you about eight hours to complete."

I could go on for days shitting out examples like that, but turns out I have a lab report to complete now...