PDA

View Full Version : Frustration.

ADE
Oct 26, 2005, 02:02 PM
I previously made a comment against someone who has found many, many rares, and it is getting to his head.

I want to remind people that a player's worth is based on how well he plays with others. Item drops are randomly calculated by a machine that none of us have any control over.

Claiming that your item finds are "good showmanship" is illogical. I imagine with my relatively simple (yet statistically equal or superior) items, I would play just as well as this person. Yet he seems to think that his worth is measured by his wealth.

I feel that his wealth is actually lowering his worth as a player. Allowing wealth to go to one's head will inevitably cause other areas to suffer.

Come back to us from the clouds, dude. Pride goes before a fall.

Sacred_One
Oct 26, 2005, 02:23 PM
I don't quite understand but you are right in some areas. We players don't have any control on whatever Rares we want. Being Wealthy hmm....

PJ
Oct 26, 2005, 03:07 PM
It's a joke. He finds a lot of rares, he makes a joke about it, so does everyone else.

Get over it. Not to mention the fact that he's an amazing player anyways, his drops certainly don't, "Make him."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SUPAH_CHAO on 2005-10-26 13:08 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Oct 26, 2005, 03:08 PM
However, in a game like PSO, where the rarer items are more powerful, yes, you are a better player in a sense because of it.

You're doing more damage, taking less, have better resistances, etc.

The game-play isn't sophisticated enough to say that "Well even if I have a good handgun, I'm just as good of a player". Yeah, you can be a good player, but you're limited by the equipment you have.

I think there are two people using the usage differently for what you're even "frustrated" about. If you're getting frustrated over this, take time off the net.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2005-10-26 14:14 ]</font>

Saiffy
Oct 26, 2005, 04:10 PM
People still play PSO?

Actually. It's a fucking game. Nobodies gonna remember soandso in a year for finding x rare, and no ones gonna remember soandso for showing x amount of skill. Not to mention how you're ranting about another user(And it's painfully obvious who it is), which is against the forum rules. But I'm not the one who tries to play mini-mod.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saiffy on 2005-10-26 14:19 ]</font>

Hrith
Oct 26, 2005, 06:39 PM
"LMAO"

Kef is amused.

Neith
Oct 26, 2005, 06:52 PM
Yes, item drops are randomly calculated. But someone hunting an item for months (like this 'mystery' person did) is more likely to find it than someone who doesn't hunt it as much.

Simple maths states that someone killing 5 of a monster will have 5 chances at a certain drop, whereas someone killing 50 will get 50 chances, therefore more likely to get that drop.

I think you're overexaggerating personally. Just because someone finds a lot of items, doesn't mean they're any better/worse of a player. You go using a saber/katana in Towers, and you're gonna get served, regardless whether that saber is DB's or a Lavis.

The skill of a player isn't entirely determined by items, you should know that. You can easily get through the game relying on just shop items.

Anyway, you've stated your views on people like this before, with the 'hacked weapons screenshots' saga. I don't know if this is intentional, but it seems that you get aggressive toward people with really good items. I can't say for certain, but it sounds like a touch of jealousy to me.

As a final line, I'll say it again: PSO's community is shit.

ai_no_usagi
Oct 26, 2005, 07:01 PM
Anyway, you've stated your views on people like this before, with the 'hacked weapons screenshots' saga. I don't know if this is intentional, but it seems that you get aggressive toward people with really good items. I can't say for certain, but it sounds like a touch of jealousy to me.

maybe it's Red Schwar back from the dead.

AxelgearVII
Oct 26, 2005, 07:31 PM
On 2005-10-26 12:02, ADE wrote:

Claiming that your item finds are "good showmanship" is illogical. I imagine with my relatively simple (yet statistically equal or superior) items, I would play just as well as this person. Yet he seems to think that his worth is measured by his wealth.

I feel that his wealth is actually lowering his worth as a player. Allowing wealth to go to one's head will inevitably cause other areas to suffer.

I totally agree. A persons worth as a player isnt measured by his items. Its measured by how well he plays with others and helps those around him. Good items are the icing on the cake. Im sure this mystery player, whoever he is >_>, knows this. If the player makes a few jokes about how incredibly lucky he is to be finding so many things, its on you to be able to take it as just that and put the jealousy aside. If items are'nt that important, then it shouldnt be a problem.

When people begin to talk about how he doesnt get his job as a HU,RA, or FO (if he doesnt use all 3 that is) done, THEN there's cause to speculate about how his worth as a player is lowering. Not because of the mere fact that he has more than you. That would be pretty silly.

Sharkyland
Oct 26, 2005, 11:57 PM
Well, personally I have found a lot of rares, but I'm rarely not good with them. There are items I just suck with and there are some items I'm just good with. There are times you search for an item like forever and you find nothing, while some people are just playing a game and the rare drops. Murphy's law sucks.

Thanks to cmode, I know how to fight most of the enemies with almost any weapon, but ultimate gets a little tough for me to see how I can fight enemies without taking any damage.

I play this game a lot and I get my ass kicked a lot while I stare at my other friend's health and they don't even take much damage at all. I'm jealous sometimes ;_;

---

I know there are times when you can't play this game much and you can't find the items with much luck, while others play this game a lot and eventually time leads them to finding stuff.

---

I could be a good support character if the enemies and the players would actually move like you would see them, but lag kills me and I can't support very well like the way I want to...

Like in cmode, when I was a RAmarl and I see a Evil Shark about to attack a HU, I would like to hit him and distract him while the HU notices and takes safety, but I miss on my first shot and the evil shark is attacking but is also missing and doing no damage on the HU and you're like wtf...

ADE
Oct 27, 2005, 03:48 AM
However, in a game like PSO, where the rarer items are more powerful, yes, you are a better player in a sense because of it.

Actually this isn't true at all.

The best armor in the game is a 1/2 rare enemy drop. The best shield in the game is a 1/2 rare enemy drop. Any items that are better than these are easily 30x rarer, and maybe 5% better at the most. The difference between a player using a Standstill Shield and the next shield up from it is laughably minimal considering the rarity gap.

50% hit charge vulcans pwn any ult enemy. Red Sword is a 1/900 drop, and Red Sword with hit% pwns a TJ-Sword without hit%, etc.

Most super rare items actually suck. In terms of practicality, a 50% hit charge calibur is better than a really rare katana, for example.

So yes, items really don't make the player at all. Also, I feel the bragging was not written in a joking manner, and that the player is actually beginning to feel this way. But what would I know? I'm only an avid student of morality and ethics, I couldn't have possibly ever seen a similar case to this, right?

The sad thing is, I would love to bury the hatchet and be friends with this person again, but I feel by seeing how he is with items, that he would also hold my past aggression over my head, and never forget about it.

I get sick of everyone thinking that everything that comes out of my mouth is garbage. I've seen what random wealth can do to people, on and off PSO. Children who are born into money are typically snobs. The money they have did not come about by any virtue of their own, but "randomly." Who's to say that such phenomena is not universal?

Also, most of you should be ashamed of yourselves. Rather than give glory to players who pour out their heart and souls for others in terms of items and assistance, you praise those who own the most stuff. I would have about 4x as many rares as I do now if I didn't help people out, and normally I don't say anything about it, but I'm sick of being seen as worthless compared to a person who hordes items. It's time to lay down the law.

The value and virtue of a person is determined by his treatment of others. Similarly, the virtue and skill of a PSO player is determined by his treatment of others.

I don't want anyone telling me to take my own advice. My intent in every action is to make PSO a better place. I may go about it incorrectly at times, but I am not free of error. I feel this rant is necessary, because I'm disgusted at people placing their friendship and respect in the wrong things. I know people are going to jump down my throat and think I'm a bad person for speaking up, because nobody wants to be told they're placing value in the wrong things. But some of you are.

This man may have "more than me" in a sense. But he forgets that a lot of his friends may be "sunshine friends" who will only be around him as long as his good luck is producing something for them. I have friends who will be with me through thick and thin because I have earned their trust. What this person has is a few good friends and a bunch of people who are awestruck by shiny things. I imagine when PSO: BB comes to an end, and the playing field is leveled, people will forget about such silly things, and only the character of the person will remain.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ADE on 2005-10-27 01:55 ]</font>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 27, 2005, 05:32 AM
On 2005-10-27 01:48, ADE wrote:

I get sick of everyone thinking that everything that comes out of my mouth is garbage. I've seen what random wealth can do to people, on and off PSO. Children who are born into money are typically snobs. The money they have did not come about by any virtue of their own, but "randomly." Who's to say that such phenomena is not universal?

This man may have "more than me" in a sense. But he forgets that a lot of his friends may be "sunshine friends" who will only be around him as long as his good luck is producing something for them. I have friends who will be with me through thick and thin because I have earned their trust. What this person has is a few good friends and a bunch of people who are awestruck by shiny things. I imagine when PSO: BB comes to an end, and the playing field is leveled, people will forget about such silly things, and only the character of the person will remain.

Everyone has been around rich snobs or spoiled folks in our lifetimes. Sometimes we assume that people are this way without ever taking the time to get to know them, and maybe finding out that they aren't.

Nobody likes to be judged yet we all judge everybody around us, whether or not we say it publicly for fear of retaliation.

The thing that sticks out to me out of all the dislike towards you is this:

WHY?

Why do you care soo much?

Others do not care as much about it and thus can go on with their lives. This won't hold them back from going about their daily business as usual.

This is not a life saving cause by any means or one others would put much effort into by comparisons of time and value to other things in life.

If you don't learn to accept things you can't change, then you won't ever be satisfied with life.
-

A player joined an open game I was in with another player. Hard mode BB Episode 2 Temple. Myself and the original player in the room were of level to the area. The player who joined was level 127 or so.

"pipe plz"

Shows up with Guld Milla and Electro frame on.

"hey u hunting rappies? are they out yet? how do you get them?!"

Proceeds to pull out a bunch of other very rare weapons and runs ahead killing off all the monsters when I asked that they wait while I was doing something.

Did I like it? No, of course not. This player doesn't need to be in this difficulty level game, killing all the enemies when I asked that they wait, and should maybe know about the whole Rappy holiday thing being lv X - they could be out on their own wiht such equipment then bothering low level characters this way. I wondered how they came about all those rare items especially things like a Guld Milla. Something people hunt for months and months to put together.

But I let it slide and left the team soon enough. No use worrying over things like that, getting all uppity and upset at that player to their face and confronting them about it.

That would make me whiney and abusive to someone else who is also paying their monthly fee and just trying to have a good time.

People don't necessarily change for you. Especially not with a quick snap of your fingers. You have to find ways to deal with things that irk you or affect you. Its just how it is.

PJ
Oct 27, 2005, 06:48 AM
Value/Virtue, then go on to Virtue/Skill?

Simply put, you can't compare a video game to real life. You may be nicer person for helping people out, but that doesn't make you a better player.

Also, you're supposed to feel better about helping people; you're not supposed to expect something to get in return, that's just selfishness. If you're not happy helping people and getting nothing, then don't. It's your PSO HL, you do what you will with it.

You're not the law ADE, don't try to be.

On 2005-10-27 01:48, ADE wrote:
I imagine when PSO: BB comes to an end, and the playing field is leveled, people will forget about such silly things, and only the character of the person will remain.

And as such, we will just remember 'X Person' more because he was a nice guy, who knows how to play well, and if he plays online games with the same people he played with before, they'll use jokes like, "Hey [x-person], bring me the [x-person] factor! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif" Obviously nobody is gonna remember him if he plays with different people who don't know him http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

It's not that you made the rant ADE, it's the person you chose to rant about. You'd think if [x-person] was such a terrible person, everyone wouldn't be defending him so much.

Saiffy
Oct 27, 2005, 07:35 AM
Since it's comparable...

I should go drown 15 puppies and then remind people I found a 20 hit milla or HP. I'll be so awesome.

Hrith
Oct 27, 2005, 08:20 AM
I'm really not sure Axel (let's name him, lolz) has "sunshine friends".

I liked him (and Ashcroft, Sitka, etc.) before I even played with them, of before they got all their ubers.

If the number of friends was correlated to the luck in finding ubers, I would not stick around Ryna much http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif (now I'm getting banned >_>)

ADE
Oct 27, 2005, 09:32 AM
I give up.

I think if anyone else had posted this, they would have said "yeah, that's a good point."

You're all disagreeing with me for the sake of disagreeing with ADE. I could state that 2+2=4 and people would still be mean.

I can't argue in such a biased environment. This is totally unfair.

The person I'm referring to is NOT KIDDING because his tone of speech has dramatically changed. He used to post in a somewhat neutral manner, and now he posts as if though he knows everything about the game simply by finding a bunch of good items. Everyone listens to his words as if though they're gold, while nobody listens to people like me, even though I really do know a lot about the game. They don't listen to me simply because people are generally stupid, and they are drawn to flashiness rather than substance.

I'm sorry if I don't find uber rares and that I waste my time helping people instead of getting rich, but darn it, I'm still a respectable person, too! Just because I don't post 20 screenshots a day of myself looking cool doesn't mean I'm not worth a poop! It gets frustrating seeing cocky people hogging the limelight all the time, while nobody wants to join my team simply because I'm more modest.

And I realize that bragging about one's modesty no longer allows him to be modest. What I'm saying is, I've been modest up to this point, and I get no respect. And I'm sick of it. Nobody gives a crap about me, even though all I have done is try to be helpful. Some say "if you do it for recognition you're doing it for the wrong reasons." Well, if you never get ANY recognition and nobody realizes what a valuable resource you are, it gets frustrating. It makes you feel like everything you've done on PSO that you COULD HAVE used to help people has been for nothing, because none of them pay attention to you. And all because some guy has a rare katana blade, and they think it somehow enhances his personal character.

I'm about ready to give up on this game because nobody gives a crap about kindness and good teamplay anymore. Dammit, I'm not a bad person! But sometimes good people get fed up with nobody EVER seeing them! or even saying "hey, you've done a good service to the community, keep it up!" Yes, I HAVE changed cheaters who have sat down to listen to me by showing them it is MORALLY WRONG to ruin another human's free time! Just because they don't come here and post it (and because you only see the posts of negative people) doesn't mean I'm not making a difference! A guy who changes a cheater to a legit has a lot bigger impact on the PSO community than some guy who finds a rare sword, and you're all incapable of seeing that. It really makes me sick.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ADE on 2005-10-27 07:44 ]</font>

Saiffy
Oct 27, 2005, 09:36 AM
On 2005-10-27 07:32, ADE wrote:
I give up.
http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I think if anyone else had posted this, they would have said "yeah, that's a good point."
Oh shit guys, Ade figured out that 99.99999999% of the population of the planet is against him. ABORT!

You're all disagreeing with me for the sake of disagreeing with ADE. I could state that 2+2=4 and people would still be mean.
Yeah, you go ahead and think that. You're not gonna make anyone who may disagrees with your thoughts guilty for hurting your feelings. Sheesh.

I can't argue in such a biased environment. This is totally unfair.
It's not our fault you can't stand the fact people don't like your attitude online, or that people might, ZOMG, disagree with you.

ADE
Oct 27, 2005, 09:47 AM
If someone states a clearly evident fact, you cannot logically disagree with him on the grounds that you "don't like him."

Ryna
Oct 27, 2005, 09:49 AM
This thread has served its purpose. I don't see anything good happening by leaving it open.