PDA

View Full Version : what the hell?!

Skuda
Oct 27, 2005, 10:39 PM
okay, one question. When the hell did you guys get so critical?

You've never really critisized my art before, and with my week going the way it has been, it's not making things any better. I've gotten more criticism on my last three pieces than I have the whole time I've been here on PSOW.

I don't know... maybe it's just me,but this forum has been sucking as of late. Really SUCKING.Perhaps it's just me being irratable and pissed off all the time.

I am very tired and have been working my rear end to the bone working on these pictures, putting my soul into them, and talking to myself while doing them.

Yes, I have been talking to myself. that's how tired I am. and I have no time for sleep because of all this work I've been doing, and getting slammed for.

My self-portrait for example. I had spent well over 10 hours straight working on that, skipping sleep so I could accomplish it for the next day. I post it, seeing as I'm proud of the work I had done in the elotted time, and even said that I was rushed.

It was almost nit-picked down to the very last detail. Yes, I need to take critisism sometimes, but not all that much at once!!! My soul was gored with your comments. I know I may be taking it to hard, but it hurt. every. freaking. last. detail. picked at.

Now, on another note. I had recently reached 2000 posts. where are they now? well, a perfectly harmless thread of mine in offtopic had been sent to FKL, likely as some practical joke to lower my post count.

I have been here quite some time and was proud to finally log my 2000.

Quit messing with me people!!!

yes. I am pissed off. VERY PISSED. It may be the lack of sleep, it may be the constant hunger and lack of human contact. But I am angry, and you guys arn't helping.

Dek
Oct 27, 2005, 10:47 PM
No offense, but expect all forms of art to be criticized and praised at the same time...

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" was once said.

Perhaps you aren't used to your art being criticized so much just because it kicks so much ass in the first place.

Besides, if I was to criticize about your self-portrait, the only thing I would have criticized about was the fact that you didn't use Bhima, which seemed to be Kuda's favorite mag http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

As far as the second issue goes...well...um...that's up to them?

Sayara
Oct 27, 2005, 10:53 PM
Hey, my 300so thread was moved from Fanworks to FKL in joking fashion as well. (Hence my like 1874 period)

People are criticaler to you because this is what you need to excell in.

Kuda. You are trying to become an game designer right? And your in a plethroa of art classes, you are trying to do your best and get better right? What is wrong with being told some of your mistakes? I mean I for one would LOVE to be told what is wrong with my work as apposed to...

its nice. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Take every critiique with good feeling. People want to see you become better. Not to push you down or piss you off.

ABDUR101
Oct 27, 2005, 11:03 PM
As for the post count, I think I hit 10k atleast three times because I had so many posts moved to FKL. We're talking hundreds of posts each time, and over the entire course of PSOW history, I'd say afew thousand posts deleted/moved to FKL.

As for your art, accept criticism, but that doesn't mean others don't acknowledge the effort or the good bits of it.

One key, don't pour your soul into something, if you're only going to let others state their opinion and have it bother you. Did you draw it to only hear people compliment it? I doubt you did. Acknowledge your own effort, and how much you appreciate it, and take what others say with a grain of salt. Accept opinions for what they are, opinions.

Sagasu
Oct 28, 2005, 01:41 AM
Do what you need to do, but get some rest. Vent, hulk smash, but look after yourself afterwards. Those who criticise dont intend to hurt you, they want to help you.

Its not so much every last detail, but some numerous different users wanting to add their own unique crit. Hell, hardly anybody gets that much praise nowadays, let alone thought out comments.

so take care, and lighten up on yourself. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

hyperacute
Oct 28, 2005, 04:01 AM
I guess a bit of sleep wouldn't hurt. After 2 proper night's sleep (something of a rarity for me), I'm feeling far less stressed and irritable. And actually getting things done...

As for the criticisms of your self portrait, posting anything creative in a public forum is pretty much inviting a full spectrum of comments and not all will be good. As you clearly intend to become a commercial artist (and, to be honest, you have the potential), you will have to harden yourself to this sort of thing as getting into the industry usually comes after numerous knockbacks which you cannot afford to take personally. At the moment, I am working on a series (well, eventually to be narrowed down to one!) of logo designs for an online retail venture and am having to set aside my own personal feelings for the "worth" of the designs in favour of coming up with something that is acceptable to the business.

Reminds me of the days when I was a gigging musician. Playing (in my eyes) a great gig was not a guarantee that the general public liked it. Eventually you stop taking it personally...

Feelmirath
Oct 28, 2005, 04:23 AM
I can't really say much that has already been said here, except that drawing skills improve more if you get something wrong, than if you get so,ething right. Think of the feedback as not critisism, but ways of improving on your always kick-ass peices of work.
Like Hyper said, get some sleep, and you'll feel a lot better.

Skorpius
Oct 28, 2005, 04:39 AM
For one, you should know by now that everyone is a fan of your work. Any time you post something, it'll get a lot of praise. You should also know, very damn well, that you have more talent and practice than a lot of users that frequent fanworks. You're the envy of a lot of users, including me, so don't get your panties into a twist when someone comments slightly negatively on a drawing of yours, alright?

Secondly, really.. post count? There are far more important issues that could use the energy and attention you just gave your post count in that post.

Really, it might be sleep dep, you really should try to just get some rest. I have to always tell friends that are in art classes to STOP DRAWING AND GO REST. For noodle's sake, why would anyone think that it's worth losing health over some school project? It's not. Get some rest, take a day off or something, and get back to you stuff later, ok?

EphekZ
Oct 28, 2005, 11:49 PM
Kuda, calm down like skorp said get some sleep it'll help alot. as for your art people love it and dont mean to hurt you but if you cant take the critiqes then stay out of fanworks.

navci
Oct 29, 2005, 12:06 AM
Whoa.
I'd hate to say it, but I agree with Skorp there.

I read all the threads in question cuz you mentioned it. And I think it is safe to say that everyone who actually went into those threads, putting into the thoughts and energys to write you up all these long posts really love your work, and most likely care about you to be bothered to write up criticisms to you which they think is for your best interest. If you actually get bother by it, then maybe you need to learn to take criticism better. Because none of those opinions really was directing to hurt you, or depress you. They were all very constructive, telling you what they think of it, what they feel could use some of these and that. It is a forum, and you'll have to expect people to have different opinions.

Also, you are in art school! You've gotta be prepared to have what you think is your best work be ripped into bits and pieces from your fellow critical classmates, that's how we all improve, right? I think, over the time that you have posted here, I think people have sort of gotten an expectation from what you can push out and getting a glimpse of what your potential is. Really, I think having threads with responses is way better than no one ever reply to it. That, would have been much hurtful and depressing.

You are bothered by post counts? You need some sleep.
See, this is kinda not the Kuda behaviour that I'd expect. I think you really need to settle down on a healthier schedule and try to give yourself some down time. Cuz this isn't gonna do you any good.

Skuda
Oct 29, 2005, 08:52 AM
well, I got a decent night sleep, and oddly enough, I only slept for 9 hours. I also fell asleep infront of the TV, wearing my normal clothes and with no blankets on me. I just kinda conked out. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

anyway, sorry for all the fuss I've made, it probably was the sleep deprivation. I have taken to heart all the comments made, and thank you all for the effort you put into making them.

This week is going to be much better for me. I don't have any homework due untill thursday, meaning I can take my time, and get ahead. If I play my cards right, and don't procrastinate, I should be sailing smooth for the rest of the quarter. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

thanks all.

Odinsthrone
Oct 30, 2005, 09:12 PM
Ya, I know it's all settled and stuff, but just to have this said, I personally think your drawings are badass, period. I wish I could draw even 1/4 as good as you. If you asked me to give you criticism, ya, I could if I looked at each pic for like half an hour. Point is, great drawings, keep it up.