PDA

View Full Version : De Rol Le: shrined as one of the top 10 bosses of all time

Para
Oct 29, 2005, 10:07 PM
http://egm.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3143654&did=1

Let us bow to the almighty hentai tentacle monster which probably became the first worst enemy of all PSO players http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

http://pso-world.com/downloads/wallpaper/wallpaper32.jpg

But on a serious note: De Rol Le does deserve to be in there. A freaking monster that infects other animals, turns them into monsters with D cells and a horrible pain in the ass to kill when you first meet it http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Skorpius
Oct 29, 2005, 10:58 PM
I can think of 10 bosses that are more thrilling than De Rol Le. ;/

HOLY ASS, THAT LIST SUCKS. Bowser and Ganon as Honerable Mentions? What in the shit?

None of Mario's meetings with Bowser have been that noteworthy, but we still love the guy's never-give-up attitude.
Uh, HELLO?! Do Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 ring a bell? Regardless of the "encounters", Bowser is one badass turtle.

Who comes up with this garbage?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2005-10-29 21:02 ]</font>

Hrith
Oct 29, 2005, 11:13 PM
KEFKA. DUR.

T1K
Oct 29, 2005, 11:48 PM
This list makes me want to vomit, although i do like the inclusion of Mike Tyson. I dont think i would have thought of that one.

Seeing number 1 is blasphemy i think, and not because of all the cronus 1/Apatite 1 (etc) clones. rofl.

The worm getting a nod is hilarious. My least favorite of all the bosses in PSO.

btw, if anyone has played Ninja Gaiden knows how much of a road whore Alma is/was. Makes me want to break a controller just thinking about it.

EJ
Oct 29, 2005, 11:57 PM
How the hell De Rol outshined Olga/Falz?!

That list doesn't make sense to me. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Tycho
Oct 30, 2005, 03:06 AM
KEFKA. DUR. XD
But seriously, Kadaaj > Sephiroth. :(

Sharkyland
Oct 30, 2005, 06:36 AM
Isn't this old news? I felt like I heard it like 3-6 months ago.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2005-10-30 03:37 ]</font>

Skuda
Oct 30, 2005, 07:28 AM
bosses have been getting weak as of late. I like a long drawn out fight that keeps you struggling to survive, yet able to enjoy the great, final showdown, are the best of them all.

Neith
Oct 30, 2005, 07:51 AM
On 2005-10-30 01:06, Tycho wrote:
But seriously, Kadaaj > Sephiroth. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

So true >_> If any of the PSO bosses were to be in the list, Id want Falz or Flow, being end of episode bosses. Yeah, De Rol is important in the story, but it's still just a stupid worm that gets owned quicker than most of the other bosses >_>

PJ
Oct 30, 2005, 08:19 AM
I think they're thinking of the fact that when you first encounter him, he is HARD. And if any boss in PSO counts as a long drawn out one, it'll be this one the first time you get to him.

My brother (The one who hates PSO >_>) tried fighting De Rol Le with his FOnewearl, untweaked, and it took so long cause he ran out of fluids so he had to rely on his natural regeneration to heal and attack. That's drawn out.

Once you're strong enough to fight through the Ruins, you should be able to beat Falz.

And the existance of Episode 2 seems to be ignored everywhere, hence why no Flow.

Legion
(Castlevania series)

There's just something undeniably cool about fighting a giant ball of dead bodies

I think Amplam Umbra would've been a better, "Clump of dead bodies," example >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SUPAH_CHAO on 2005-10-30 05:22 ]</font>

hyperacute
Oct 30, 2005, 09:38 AM
Hmmmm, rather poor boss list IMO. No mention of M.Bison, Jon Irenicus or any of the rather cool bosses from ZoE: The Second Runner. And De Rol Lie has to be one of the most tedious boss encounters ever.

Saiffy
Oct 30, 2005, 10:03 AM
Saint-Milion

:3

But, yeah...That list is just...bad >_>; Shame they don't count MMORPG "boss" mobs. I know why, but it'd be crazy funny if they did count them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saiffy on 2005-10-30 07:05 ]</font>

Dana
Oct 30, 2005, 10:10 AM
On 2005-10-30 01:06, Tycho wrote:
XD
But seriously, Kadaaj > Sephiroth. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif that is so true XD

Pie winning. HA, Gal Is much better>.> as is seksi olga flow!

Maridia
Oct 30, 2005, 10:13 AM
Wow.. Just.. wow. Even though I enjoyed him as a villain (though I found it to be sad), he does NOT deserve number 1. That list is just.. crap. Definitely.

But yeah, congrats, Wormy. Go you. KEEP ON FIGHTING!

Tact
Oct 30, 2005, 10:18 AM
This is another example of "OMG S3phy 15 50 c001!1!!".

I just don't understand it.

Parn
Oct 30, 2005, 10:42 AM
I never understood bitching about other people's lists. "They shouldn't have put that in there, they should have put this instead. This list is crappy! What a bunch of morons!"

You know what? You folks come up with your own list. Then other people you don't know can drop by and trash your opinions since they won't agree with them, and you can get a taste of your own medicine.

EGM's editors don't have to like the same things you like. This is THEIR list. If they like Sephiroth the most, then they like Sephiroth the most. If they think De Rol Le is more memorable than the other PSO bosses, then they're entitled to that opinion. Thinking they're morons for it makes you petty.

Saiffy
Oct 30, 2005, 10:48 AM
The problem is, it's a huge faced game site. It's more than their opinion, it's their word that people will follow mindlessly. If I made a list, maybe 10 people would read it, and when it's a game site, listing all the bosses in existence(Which they obviously aren't). It shouldn't be 1UP's top 10 bosses, it should be whoever wrote the thing's top 10 bosses.

Maridia
Oct 30, 2005, 10:53 AM
Saiffy has my exact point. Of course people are entitled to their opinions, duh. But when it's a site that big, then you get every numbnuts going OMFG SEPHIROTH IS THE COOLEST FO SHO. I mean, he's cool, I don't deny that, but.. Yeah.

My list would be better. <_< >_> http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Parn
Oct 30, 2005, 11:38 AM
On 2005-10-30 07:48, Saiffy wrote:
The problem is, it's a huge faced game site. It's more than their opinion, it's their word that people will follow mindlessly.
So? Those people are entitled to follow whatever they want. And guess what? If Gamespot posted a similar article and it conflicted with what 1up had, what then? People can't "mindlessly follow" two different opinions. They'll have to pick and choose.

Or alternatively, most people pick and choose what they think is best anyways.

If I made a list, maybe 10 people would read it, and when it's a game site, listing all the bosses in existence(Which they obviously aren't).
Indeed, and those 10 people probably wouldn't agree with your choices. I guess they'd be entitled to say that your list sucks and insult you, right?

It shouldn't be 1UP's top 10 bosses, it should be whoever wrote the thing's top 10 bosses.
And the people that wrote it were EGM staff, and it is explicitly labeled as such. EGM is part of the 1up network. This list is from EGM magazine 196, as stated before you get to the list.

Even then, it doesn't matter how it's labeled. You try to justify your attitudes with this nonsense, but the reality is that EGM staff are real people who put their pants on every morning like the rest of us. They came to a concensus on what they thought was the best 10 bosses of all time. You don't agree with it. So what? There's probably millions of readers who don't agree with it.

This "if you like Sephiroth you're mindless" internet crap and other similar attitudes is so tired. What, you think you're a more privileged member of society because you think Final Fantasy 7 sucks? Not liking Sephiroth defines you as a person who thinks for himself/herself?

This social ladder crap belongs in high school.

On 2005-10-30 07:53, Maridia wrote:
Saiffy has my exact point. Of course people are entitled to their opinions, duh. But when it's a site that big, then you get every numbnuts going OMFG SEPHIROTH IS THE COOLEST FO SHO. I mean, he's cool, I don't deny that, but.. Yeah.
And does it really affect your day that some people think Sephiroth is the greatest thing ever? Because it really shouldn't. It sure as heck didn't affect my playthrough of Final Fantasy 7 (in fact, I never got past disc 1 due to loss of interest in the game).

My list would be better. <_< >_> http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
And more than likely, I'd disagree with it. How would you feel if I told you that your list sucks? I'm sure you'd be at least a little annoyed by the comment.

Now picture how the EGM staff feels when they get to hear commentary about how they're morons because they didn't like the same games everyone else likes. They probably would shrug it all off like I would, but it'd still be annoying.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2005-10-30 08:44 ]</font>

Saiffy
Oct 30, 2005, 11:55 AM
Trying to justify my attitude? What attitude? Having my own opinion? Yeah, this social ladder crap should stay in highschool, I shouldn't mindlessly follow the Game sites that you are oh so trying to make me follow. If I say something sucks, I don't like it. It's my opinion, so I'm doing just what is against the "social ladder"

I guess they'd be entitled to say that your list sucks and insult you, right?
I like how you're tring to perticularly make it seem like I give a fuck if someone says my opinion sucks.

I'm done with this topic as it has gone horrible off topic. And sharing my opinion seems to be opening Pandora's box with some people. So I'll leave it with what I started with.

This list sucks.

Hrith
Oct 30, 2005, 12:13 PM
Parn, you're funny, trying to play the voice of reason with such pitiful arguments.

The list sucks, end of story, it is by no way representative of anything it's supposed to represent, hence: it sucks.

"To each his own" and "if you're not happy, just do better yourself" are arguments for the weak and the cowardly, that favour acceptation of mediocrity over communication and criticism.

Solstis
Oct 30, 2005, 12:30 PM
On 2005-10-30 09:13, Kef wrote:
Parn, you're funny, trying to play the voice of reason with such pitiful arguments.

The list sucks, end of story, it is by no way representative of anything it's supposed to represent, hence: it sucks.

"To each his own" and "if you're not happy, just do better yourself" are arguments for the weak and the cowardly, that favour acceptation of mediocrity over communication and criticism.

Yes, I'm sure that the EGM editors are mortified by the the fact that their list "is by no way representative of anything it's supposed to represent, hence: it sucks."

I mean, really. This is all a bunch of anti-fanboyist bullshit. Take the list for what it is, nod your head if a boss you liked made it, scowl a bit if a boss you liked didn't, and move on. If you really cared about "communication and criticism" you would see the irony of your post, Kef.

Opinion vs Opinion. The guy with the bigger guns wins, and EGM has 'em. This is practically the same as the indie vs mainstream agrument. Puh-leeze.

Also, it's a TOP TEN list. Maybe if it was a top 1000 list, with no specific order, then there would be less disappointment. Hell, it would be pointless then, but who cares as long as you're happy?

To keep this on-topic, I agree that De Rol Le deserves a shout-out. It received many from me when I first started playing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2005-10-30 09:31 ]</font>

Derek0660
Oct 30, 2005, 12:46 PM
Psycho Mantis so deserves to be in there.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he the one who reads your memory card for save files and then says "You play Super Smash Bros., don't you, Snake?".
That's just awesome.

Mystil
Oct 30, 2005, 01:40 PM
I like how Vol Opt got outshined by the easiest boss in PSO history.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2005-10-30 10:47 ]</font>

Para
Oct 30, 2005, 01:44 PM
Well... so much for this thread... it was just to celebrate that the fact part of pso is enshrined somewhere and you idiots turn it into trash -_-

Mystil
Oct 30, 2005, 01:47 PM
Err my bad. Something happened and the board locked up and it duplicated all my posts. I deleted them all now. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif;

Scejntjynahl
Oct 30, 2005, 02:57 PM
This is by far the most entertaining thread thus far. I got a kick of seen decent level headed people dish it out over a list of villains in video games. Good stuff, good stuff indeed. Heaven forbid if the thread was about something that may change the way your live the rest of your lifes!! Then what? Will we break our guns and kill each other for something so trivial as a video game. Your guys are riot http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Its just a list based on video games. Not a constitution or a freaking bible or some new stupid law hiking up taxes or diminishing medicaid >.>

Saw the list, disagreed with it, shrugged, and went to play my old Dreamcast pso game and got my HUnewearl up to level 99 fighting good old Del Rol.

Parn
Oct 30, 2005, 04:14 PM
On 2005-10-30 08:55, Saiffy wrote:
So I'll leave it with what I started with.

This list sucks.
Much like your debating skills suck. See how this works? Everyone can just have an opinion!

And for the record, no one was making you like EGM's list. I like how we go from one extreme to the other around here.

On 2005-10-30 08:55, Kef wrote:

Acceptation of mediocrity? What in the hell are you babbling about? We aren't talking about building a new bridge or baking a freaking cake. We're discussing a top ten list based on opinions. There's no semblence of skill or any established method of planning and direction for this. Opinions are formed on a whim. Trying to find mediocrity in my favoring strawberries over grapes makes about as much sense as spewing the words "weak and cowardly" over the internet and expecting them to be meaningful. Whatever, Captain 5000+ posts.

Maridia
Oct 30, 2005, 04:24 PM
Parn, I wasn't being serious, you're really blowing this out of proportion. It's kind of ridiculous. Sen, you also seem to think that our days are completely bent out of shape because of this list and/or thread. We're merely discussing it. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Calm down, people.

Anyway, back on topic, it's difficult to choose good villains, because you have to really think about things like "how evil are they?" and the things they did, or what led them down their paths of evil. Say, Kefka vs Sephiroth. Both did bad things, but Sephy always seemed like a more misunderstood villain, while Kefka was just crazy. I suppose something would've driven him crazy, but they never did tell anyone that. So yeah, I guess that's all for that.

Go wormy. <_< Falz or Olga always did seem a little more villainish than him, though.

Hrith
Oct 30, 2005, 04:29 PM
On 2005-10-30 13:14, Parn wrote:
Trying to find mediocrity in my favoring strawberries over grapes.You have no idea who I am... I can totally do that.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Seriously, your method of reasoning is pathetic and immature, that's what tingled me about your laughable distortion of Saiffy's post, nothing about the matter at hand.

I shall agree that the people that began bitching about the list totally missed the point of Nites's topic.

TheOneHero
Oct 30, 2005, 05:21 PM
On 2005-10-29 21:48, T1K wrote:

btw, if anyone has played Ninja Gaiden knows how much of a road whore Alma is/was. Makes me want to break a controller just thinking about it.

I actually found her to be quite easy after the second or third battle. Now, trying to take down that freakin' copter with only one healing potion was a wee bit challanging.

Now, I know that when I first fought that worm guy, I was like "OH SHI-" all the way through, it was challanging for almost the enitre PSO population, I'm sure of it.

Now, one villian I'd like to see on the list, would be Mithos, from ToS. The dude was a water-downed Sephiroth, but I belive, more complex and understood. He had good intentions, but they led him the wrong way. He gets a thumbs up from me.

People can't "mindlessly follow" two different opinions.

Ever heard of a fanboy? Hmm? Hmm?

Whatever, Captain 5000+ posts.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Shouldn't we be mature enough to see that post counts don't matter?

I'd rather see someone with 10 good posts, which contribute to the forum than to see a few thousand with nothing but mindless, BS spam.

I don't agree fully with everything Kef says, but at least I can see he argues intelligently 99% of the time. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Now guys, let's try and stay on topic so this thread doesn't get locked like every other thread in rants that mentions the word, "opinions."

Neith
Oct 30, 2005, 05:31 PM
Hmm..

Yeah, I remember fighting De Rol Le the first time, was with a RAmar, and it was quite difficult (more of a long fight). Was harder than Vol Opt anyway.

Thing is about PSO, is that once you've done the bosses once or twice, you learn attack patterns, and the game becomes much, much easier.

Bosses I'd consider putting in:
Ruby/Emerald Weapon from FFVII. Not Sephiroth.. I found him relatively easy with a decently levelled up party, whereas Ruby was just a pain.

Neith from Zone of the Enders: Pretty difficult, looked awesome.

TheOneHero
Oct 30, 2005, 05:36 PM
On 2005-10-30 14:31, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Hmm..

Bosses I'd consider putting in:
Ruby/Emerald Weapon from FFVII. Not Sephiroth.. I found him relatively easy with a decently levelled up party, whereas Ruby was just a pain.

Sephiroth was much easier than I had thought he'd be.

I watched my brother fight him in the PC version, and get owned countless times. (Hell, he got to Sephy in under 20 hours)

When I finally fought Sephy on Playstation, I was pumped, ready to go. Having spent hours getting battle points for Omislash, and breeding Chocobo for KotR, it was time for pwnage.

One or two KotR, and I felt Sephy was almost done, one of my members was hurt pretty bad, so I had Tifa use an elixer, she used the damn thing on Sephy (he confused her) I was scared, Cloud hit limit...

BOOM! Omislash, one frickin' hit KO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheOneHero on 2005-10-30 14:37 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Oct 30, 2005, 05:55 PM
Ohnoes, another baddie list full of cliched choices from a mainstream published magazine. Who would've guessed these choices? Well, all except for De Rol Le.

Yeah, kinda cool De Rol Le is in the list but, really, that doesn't affect the fact that in just a few minutes I shall not even remember this list. I have my own boss list, they have theirs. Sure it was disappointing, but hey, that's the kind of list I would expect. Go evil worm thing with hentai tentacles. We can never have enough bosses with hentai tentacles.

Mixfortune
Oct 30, 2005, 06:46 PM
Oh yeah, I just love threads like these.
Ones where it turns into a debate match with participants that take things way out of hand and give each other's arguments perhaps a bit too much credit than what they're worth.

Just as opinions can make a list, opinions can dislike lists, etc. Someone can like something, or hate something. They could do it to "follow mindlessly" or "be rebellious", but one or the other does not indicate either. They are seperate, but sometimes people seem to like linking them together to how they see fit.

Both sides have points, but points won't save you from making asses of yourselves sometimes. Keep your attitudes in check, and try and show you can hold a decent conversation, for once.

Hrith
Oct 30, 2005, 06:59 PM
The difficulty of Emerald Weapon in FFVII (still way below FFVIII's Omega Weapon) should not make it a noteworthy boss.

Sephiroth was a terrific final boss, a terrific character throughout the story thanks to FFVII's interesting and intricate plot, and incredibly fascinating.

Sure the FFVII fad ruined it for a lot of people, but Sephiroth is, at least in my opinion, one of the most charismatic bosses in video-game history.

As much as I find FFVIII immensely superior to FFVII, Ultimecia was ludicrous.

If difficulty mattered, the top 10 would be 10 bosses from the first episodes of the Dragon Quest series... >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kef on 2005-10-30 16:01 ]</font>

TheOneHero
Oct 30, 2005, 07:03 PM
On 2005-10-30 15:59, Kef wrote:

If difficulty mattered, the top 10 would be 10 bosses from the first episodes of the Dragon Quest series... >_>

Amen to that!

I still get owned in the original Dragon Quest when I fight the dragon lord. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Solstis
Oct 30, 2005, 07:10 PM
Where's my Ramirez love? He could, like, move through space man. Moving through time, not so much.

Ah, or Metal Sonic from Sonic CD. Stardust Speedway!

Neith
Oct 30, 2005, 07:20 PM
Hell, i totally forgot about Omega Weapon from FFVIII... yeah, incredibly hard boss there.

As for Sephy, I've always liked him as a main character, but I guess just seeing him everywhere kinda bored me.

To be fair, the final phase Sephiroth fight (where you use Omnislash), should have been a full-blown fight, not that I didn't enjoy it though http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Unfotunately, I didn't get interested in RPG's until FFVII, so my view is kinda limited.

Parn
Oct 30, 2005, 08:39 PM
On 2005-10-30 13:29, Kef wrote:

Seriously, your method of reasoning is pathetic and immature, that's what tingled me about your laughable distortion of Saiffy's post, nothing about the matter at hand.
What's "pathetic and immature" is your consistent use of these insults, but your total lack of any real sustenance to back any of it up. You say I know nothing about the matter at hand, yet I'm the one that brought the matter up in the first place. Do try to pay attention.

So why is my reasoning pathetic? Feel free to explain beyond "you just don't get it", "you're not worth the effort", and other similar cop-outs that people use. Seriously, do explain yourself, because I'm all ears.

I shall agree that the people that began bitching about the list totally missed the point of Nites's topic.
And it is on that note that we share at least one similar viewpoint.

rena-ko
Oct 30, 2005, 09:08 PM
parn, keep directly addressed questions to PMs.
verbal warning for that.

now chill, everyone. its just some stupid list, not your paycheque.

KodiaX987
Oct 30, 2005, 09:13 PM
You guys took a thread about De Rol Le and defiled it into the subject of Final Fantasy bosses. While I have nothing against the discussion of the badassness of bishounens being directly proportional to their hair length (we'll talk about sword length later for Freudian reasons), I'd like to point out that you guys talk about Final Fantasy in a thread about Phantasy Star Online. OK, so the mistake is understandable. Replace PH with F, Star with Final and forget about the Online thing - everyone does that typo. But we gotta correct this before it is too late.

Now. De Rol Le. I don't personally think he's a top 10 boss, but I'd like to put myself in 1-UP's shoes and wonder what would make De Rol Le a good boss for a top 10. I'll play devil's advocate and explain all the reasons why this is a good boss.

Firstly, first and foremost, before anything, we ought to take a look at the design. Phosphorous spots, head armor with Skulltula-esque mask, circular mouth inside a normal mouth, set of stabbing tentacles - you gotta admit the artists spent more than just a few seconds thinking of their monster. They gave him a smart, new design, conform to its environment.

Next, me must think of battle strategy. De Rol Le requires both strength, and reaction time. One must adapt quickly to the new battle conditions. Find out how to get rid of the minefield, find the best position to avoid the plasma balls, time his attacks to do maximum damage between tentacle strikes. Some will attempt to hack away at the explosive spikes - and they'll always fail since it's hard to destroy every single one of them before they explode. But, someone had the thought that destroying just one spike and going into its corresponding corner would put you out of range of the others. The battle just got a bit easier. Then the armor. Turns out the monster's entire body is armored! What to do? We must concentrate our efforts on one part - the head is the easiest spot. The boss will be hard for those who don't fight with their heads.

De Rol Le does have a pattern - however, it's long enough to make it not seem like one at first. In fact, going through his pattern of attacks takes a solid ten minutes before he restarts it. Which is quite good in a world of bosses that develop a pattern after little more than 30 seconds.

De Rol Le also poses a balance question: while a ranger can attack all the time with his gun, power will overall be weak. A hunter can attack with his more powerful saber, but only when the worm is in range. The Force? He must keep his TP for healing and oftentimes refrains from attacks unless he has prepared himself with a good set of regenerating fluids. In essence, everyone gets a chance to attack at his faire share.

I also want to point out the variety of attacks:

-Exploding spikes
-Tracker exploding spikes
-Plasma balls
-Plasma beam
-Tentacle strike
-Raft crash
-Boulder drop
-Blackout

He really has quite a list to choose from, adding much variety and hence generating a longer pattern that's more difficult to predict.

While people complain that he becomes easily beatable on the next runs, think about it: nearly all bosses become easily beatable after the first run. Why? Because now that you know his pattern, and how his attacks exactly work, you can better prepare yourself. Many if not all bosses are this way. And I believe De Rol Le stands out by putting up the most challenging fight of most of the bosses I know, without resorting to cheap, unavoidable attacks.

Para
Oct 30, 2005, 11:34 PM
THANK YOU KODIA.
You deserve a medal for actually providing meaningful discussion to a thread that was originally geared to De Rol Le but then veered off by people that can't seem to understand why this thread was made in the first place.

And I agree with some of your excellent points. It is true that after battling the bosses more than once, you learn its patterns and they become easier to defeat. However what makes De Rol Le an exception is that by the time you reach De Rol Le, your character isn't fully developed. Hunters have a hard time hitting De Rol Le consistantly, Rangers with weak ATP and possibility of no shot weapon yet, FOs that don't have rafoie//razonde yet. It just makes De Rol Le A LOT harder without these necessary equipment/techniques required to make sure this worm stays in the sewers.

Not to mention, I thought his music was as well intimidating. The lights off was something new you never seen in a pso boss yet. All these new surprises on the first battle can really shake you up unlike any other boss.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nites on 2005-10-30 20:51 ]</font>

Solstis
Oct 30, 2005, 11:41 PM
On 2005-10-30 20:34, Nites wrote:
THANK YOU KODIA.
You deserve a metal for actually providing meaningful discussion to a thread that was originally geared to De Rol Le but then veered off by people that can't seem to understand why this thread was made in the first place.

And I agree with some of your excellent points. It is true that after battling the bosses more than once, you learn its patterns and they become easier to defeat. However what makes De Rol Le an exception is that by the time you reach De Rol Le, your character isn't fully developed. Hunters have a hard time hitting De Rol Le consistantly, Rangers with weak ATP and possibility of no shot weapon yet, FOs that don't have rafoie//razonde yet. It just makes De Rol Le A LOT harder without these necessary equipment/techniques required to make sure this worm stays in the sewers.

Not to mention, I thought his music was as well intimidating. The lights off was something new you never seen in a pso boss yet. All these new surprises on the first battle can really shake you up unlike any other boss.

Actually, I used to think that De Rol Le was too hard, considering the skill and equipment it requires to beat him. I think that I quit PSO for a week the first time I encountered him. Wormy bastid. He probably scared me when he first did the darkness thing too.

Ah, it was exciting/annoying when you were at a low level and without any skill in PSO, barely scraping by as a tentacle stabs you with a near 1 hit KO. Well, that makes for the top 10 most annoying boss list, anyway. Always good to see PSO getting recognition, and I apologize for getting all tangential/ranty.

Neith
Oct 31, 2005, 08:19 AM
De Rol has a long attack pattern, yes, but a very, very predictable one.

It goes behind the raft, staying with you. You know it's gonna use the laser.

It goes in front of the raft, it's damn likely it's gonna fling dervant/spikes onto the raft.

Seriously, the first time I fought it, it was new to me, and a decent challenge, but even the second time was really easy =/

I know it's a huge opinion topic, but I still think Falz or Flow (mostly Falz) should have been there instead of the worm.

As for the comments about changing this into a Final Fantasy thread.. the whole thread is about this list of the top 10 bosses. Yes, mainly about De Rol, but you can't just ignore the other choices there.

It's only opinions, nothing to get worked up about >_>

Scejntjynahl
Oct 31, 2005, 09:55 AM
Del Rol is more about player tenacity and skills. Falz on the other hand is IMHO cheap. Del Rol offers ways to avoid his attacks, it is the quick hand and eye coordination people. Where as Falz as intimidating he/she is relies on attacks that almost never miss. Yes it was intimidating to see Falz change to 3 forms when you hit hard mode . . . but Del Rol was still beating us down since normal mode. Also Del Rol's plasma ray shot is way better than its Ep2 counterpart, at least his you have to run away and evade... but that is the beauty of it... is that you can do so.

When I first started playing PSO in Dreamcast it was his fault I lost so many lives and items to boot. Hell in Ultimate mode he still owns me on Dreamcast.

Kodia was right as to the aesthetic value of Del Rol he certainly has a lot of character and seems to be more mobile from the bunch. Falz to me is a bit stationary in comparison. The other mobile boss I can think of is Sil Dragon and Olga Flow (2nd form) But even Olga has cheap attacks similar to Falz.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 1, 2005, 02:18 AM
I'd hate to see what you guys will do to EGM's 100 greatest games listing coming up in Issue 200.

It'll be their third one. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

For the record in the second one PSO v1 and v2 were both in as seperate games. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I'm more upset at EGM falsely saying that finishing Challenge mode in DC v2 gives you nothing for your efforts.

Its hard to compare bosses of different games and genres against one another. I have played many games and can't realistically form a top ten listing in such a short amount of time, as they seem to have done.

They have been having top ten lists for many issues now leading up to Issue 200.

If anything all the bickering and fighting around message boards, including 1up's own message boards, will get them more attention, more internet traffic and more money from advertising, right?

I really don't care what anybody will think about their top ten list. Is that something even important to worry about? People will blindly follow it since its on a big mainstream site? BIG DEAL.