PDA

View Full Version : Old Things...

PJ
Oct 30, 2005, 08:12 AM
...Suck.

I hate the mindset, that because it's old/"Original", that it must be a bazillionjillion times better than anything new.

Wrong

Old music is better than new music?

Wrong

Of course, in the case of music, it's all about personal taste. That is why you don't tell me how, "Awesome," ACDC, or Guns N' Roses and how I'd get beaten up at school if I said they sucked. Both examples, their songs suck (In my opinion) so I'm gonna think these bands suck. These songs have as much replay value as Billy Talent (Oh, throwing my opinion everywhere, but to prevent me from saying it more, let's just say this whole rant is about my opinion on stuff)

Next point; old Video games are better than new games.

Wrong

Have you even played those games since they were new? They are so. Boring. The worst games of today are probably more fun than the best games of yesterday. I bought Sonic Mega Collection, cause I think to myself, "Old Sonic games, I LOVE these!" I play it for a bit then get tired of it. Just because everyone loved Sonic 2 and everyone hated Sonic Adventure 2, SA2 is still better than S2. They're only comparing games of this time to eachother, so I wish everyone would give up the arrogance of, "They were good for their time." It's not their time anymore, get over it, the games suck.

Old whatever-piece-of-equipment-technology is better than new whatever-piece-of-equipment-technology.

Wrong

No, no, no and no. If our technology gets better, so do them dang products.

Actually, this rant was just fueled by the fact that I hate ACDC so much http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

ABDUR101
Oct 30, 2005, 09:50 AM
Keep in mind, that you would'nt have what you have today, were it not for that "crap" of yesterday.

Had Sonic and all the other games been so well-liked, well-played and garnered such a fan-base, there would be nothing of them today. They would have blinked out, along with alot of other shit back then that truely did suck.

Yet again, this is a cycle that I talked about in another thread. As time passes you're going to see new stuff get released, and go "God damn, thats lame", and the younger kids in that generation are going to say "Fuck you, this is AWESOME compared to what you had."

You can't compare to any of it, because when you're growing up with these things, and they're the best things at the current time, thats what you had, you loved it. Just like right now with the Xbox and big-ass computers and all that, 5-10 years down the line, people are going to be saying "Man, that was shit, how could you handle the load times? And look, you can even see individual pixels!"

Those who experienced these things, for them, it is all about the nostalgia. It's not about it being "better", whether by graphics, or the controls, or the sound, it's the fact that it's what some people grew up on. Thats a peice of their life that they hold close.

And it doesn't have to be restrained to video-games, or music. It goes for every single thing that was current at the time.

Trust me, you'll know exactly what I mean at some point in time.

KodiaX987
Oct 30, 2005, 10:24 AM
On 2005-10-30 05:12, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:

"They were good for their time." It's not their time anymore, get over it, the games suck.

Several hundred thousand players of Gunstar Heroes can't be wrong.

Like it or not, classic gaming is still pretty big. Some people are even willing to pay hundreds - sometimes thousands of dollars for a classic video game system in good condition. And like it or not, there are some games that are really worthy of a look no matter how old they are. This is why the emulation scene is big. People who couldn't play some famous Genesis or SNES titles can now play them and enjoy them, and I found real good gems that I adore, that have a top-notch gameplay and a really good design. Yes, they were made for old systems and I'm sure the developers were restricted on what they could do, and most likely didn't get to put in everything they wanted to put it, but in the end, they shelled out something that plays well.

As far as music goes, it's not that people are feeling that nostalgic, it's that the current wave of music is about one subject. Back in the 70s, all songs were about dancing. Back in the 80s and 90s, all songs were about being badass. Now in the 00s, all songs are about love and girlfriends. We're getting swamped with one particular theme at once, so of course we'll look at other songs from other times and like the refreshment.

Oh, and if you call me out on the last paragraph saying I generalized, I'm gonna choke a bitch. I know I did it, and I'm not gonna stick in little notes saying I'm sorry and all that politically correct bullshit just so that I can please you nitpicking idiots. I generalized, get over it.

Now back to music. Music, in fact, goes beyond time. Sure, there are currents and styles that go on over the years, but look at the entire repertoire. Classical, funk, punk, rock, metal, dance, techno. They all have something good in 'em. I like Beethoven's 9th Symphony and The Four Seasons by Vivaldi. I like Are You Gonna Be My Girl, by Jet. I like Double Dutch Bus, Hit & Run Lover, and Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood from the disco era. I like a few songs by KISS as well. Old new, who gives a shit?

Think about it. People call stuff old because it was made several years ago. But let go of the time label. What do you get? A big pile of art and creations, where everyone can pitch in regardless of genre, theme or age. Of course, it's sedimentary. Classical music will be at the bottom of the pile, while video games will be on top. We don't have any magic mixer to even things out, so it's up to us to dig through the pile to find things we like.

And oftentimes, we strike gold!

Maridia
Oct 30, 2005, 11:10 AM
Everyone hated Sonic Adventure 2?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! *hugs her 20 Chao*

But yeah, you're right in a lot of ways, PJ. People will always try to shove their opinion down your throat.

Feelmirath
Oct 30, 2005, 11:16 AM
I think it has partly to do with the fact that (some of) the "older" variety of people say these things, because they can't get used to it.
Take granny, and iPod. They don't fit together, do they?
And because they preach about old stuff being better, it rubs off on their kin (sometimes).

But yeah, SA2 didnt suck D=
I spent forever working on ma chaos >_>

ABDUR101
Oct 30, 2005, 12:11 PM
On 2005-10-30 07:24, KodiaX987 wrote:
Think about it. People call stuff old because it was made several years ago. But let go of the time label. What do you get? A big pile of art and creations, where everyone can pitch in regardless of genre, theme or age. Of course, it's sedimentary. Classical music will be at the bottom of the pile, while video games will be on top. We don't have any magic mixer to even things out, so it's up to us to dig through the pile to find things we like.

This has to be quoted, otherwise it's going to be ignored.

Thats the clincher, don't see something as "old", shit, if you're going to do that, you're only fucking yourself by cutting yourself off from a world of great things.

Solstis
Oct 30, 2005, 12:35 PM
On 2005-10-30 09:11, ABDUR101 wrote:

This has to be quoted, otherwise it's going to be ignored.

Thats the clincher, don't see something as "old", shit, if you're going to do that, you're only fucking yourself by cutting yourself off from a world of great things.

I'm quoting Abdur's quote for further emphasis.

Pretty looks are nice, but they aren't everything. Then again, nostalgia can be a pitiful waste of time. I can't look objectively at everything, and neither can you. You're biased towards certain games, other people different ones. You have opinions as equally valid as theirs, though I do understand that you were probably just letting off steam.

I swear that I'm getting dyslexic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2005-10-30 09:36 ]</font>

navci
Oct 30, 2005, 01:13 PM
On 2005-10-30 09:11, ABDUR101 wrote:

I am quoting this cuz I like Abdur, and it is a good point, even though he didn't make it.

I think the rant of this should just be directed at "people that shove their opinion down your throat", because that is essentially what is going on anyway.

Blitzkommando
Oct 30, 2005, 05:41 PM
Well, for me, I cannot stand much of the newer music. Most often because of the lyrics. Sure there are bands and music that are new that I enjoy, but the fact remains, more music was written over ten years ago than there was in the last ten years. Obviously, I'm going to like more from before ten years ago than in the last ten just due to sheer volume. The same can be said of anything. I suppose another part of it is I grew up listening to the "Lite Rock" stations which pumped out tunes from the 70s and 80s. Had I grown up listening to "Z93" or something like that I suppose I would enjoy 90s music, but hey, that's all part of it, all why we like what we do.

Games, music, movies, art of any kind, there is just so much of it that is 'old' that it is a shame to ignore anything more than ten years old because it is 'old'. Why, without da Vinci or Jules Verne we wouldn't have the artists of today that were influenced by their works. Just because it is new doesn't make it better, nor does it being old make it better. What makes things better is the quality, work, and heart put into the final product. Art is made up of the same "blood, sweat, and tears" over the years that makes it truly great works. Some new, some old, some wild, some mild, it all forms up the culmination of human works. Age is just a measurement of how long something has had to be discussed and looked at. And if something has survived for hundreds of years, and is still used and talked about today, then certainly there must be some basis for it being liked to have been liked for so long.

Neith
Oct 30, 2005, 05:53 PM
It's all opinions, nothing else..

Personally,music-wise, I listen to a variety, but mainly Iron Maiden (1980's mainly). I rank Maiden as better than most new bands around now, but it's all personal preference.

Games.. unfortunately, I dont have any of my old consoles, but given the chance, I'd much rather play Streets of Rage, Sonic 2, and games like that, than a lot of today's market *glares at EA*

Everyone has their own opinion. Just because you hate AC/DC doesn't mean they suck, they have one hell of a big fanbase. Myself, I'm not a fan of them, but I wouldn't say they suck.

That's my 'two cents' >_>

Sharkyland
Oct 30, 2005, 06:43 PM
Ah yes the every popular talk of technology, trends, and what's better...

Music/Art
I dunno, what I see today... I see way too much stuff. Too many CDs from a lot of artists, a ton of artists making some new songs, some mixing the old with the new, and some still in the swing of the old. Personally, as long as the music is good, I don't really care. Sometimes the music is good and lyrics are horrible, and sometimes it's vice versa.

Art baffles me sometimes. I won't get into the subject, but if people like your work, then you should make more. Well if they don't, might as well try something new. Going through an art history class in college, there are a bunch of times... 'what the f--- is this work?'

Video Games
The transistion from 2D to 3D. Some platforms were hard because you can only do so little with 2D. Now 3D it gets way too complicated trying to avoid things and such. Now the only thing I really don't understand in video games is probably FPS. I mean... you see your gun, there is the story and usually what changes from FPS to FPS is storyline, characters, guns, and what features it has. Of course, the same could be said with any genre.

Technology
Everything is going from simple to more complicated in my opinion. Either that or it's making us incredibly lazy because of these high tech toys and gadgets. And another fun thing that comes with technology is the awesome power of 'Murphy's Law' and that other Law where that person theorized that everything will be twice as small and twice as big 10 years from now.

Beta tapes, cassettes, walkmans... were the thing back then... now you got DVDs, CDs, and mp3 players.

Kaeorii
Oct 30, 2005, 08:59 PM
Getting my mind off my corruption tonight.. whee.. on this topic of old vs. new.. I'll go down my list and what I think. This is an opinion, and I do not expect anyone to follow it. *ahem*

Music: I agree with the "if it sounds good, listen to it" theory.. why would you listen to something that doesn't sound good to you? I, for one, like a bit of everything (except rap and country.. die gangsta wannabes and cowboy lookalikes!)..
I primarily like rock music myself.. but there is admittedly alot of crap out there.. most of the newer stuff begins to sound the same.. from the riffs to vocals.. old stuff was diverse.. but a few new bands separate themselves from the rest.

TV: There's alot of crap.. just as a whole. I hardly even watch TV.. it is kinda funny to go back and watch old sitcoms and realize how damn cheesy they are.. but hell, you grew up with them. Nowadays it's all reality TV, drama, and gangsta rap music videos.. TV can bite me. =P

Games: ah, technology.. new games are phenomenal graphically, some even have some incredibly addictive gameplay.. but in most games, the looks is where it ends.. games nowadays have become often too easy or WAY too hard.. stories are obviously showing that the makers are running out of good ideas (I'm looking at you, Square-Enix.)...
Older games may not look as good, may not always play as good, and sure the sound sucks on most of them.. but many of them were quite challenging, and still are to this day. Plus all those old games paved the path for everything we have now.. from sequels to cheat codes (go Konami! hehe..)..

In conclusion: If you don't like old stuff, that's your issue.. don't have to say it all sucks to people.. and just remember this topic when that "awesome" music from that new band you just bought the CD for dies in less than a year, compared to those "old crappy bands" that are somehow still around and still on stages with a large fanbase at their feet. Take it to the bank.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaeorii on 2005-10-30 18:01 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Oct 31, 2005, 02:02 PM
Sure, by today's standards most old games suck shit.

So why do I occasionally still play Asteroids, and play it obsessively when I do?

Why do I find a crappy 8-bit RPG with a paper-thin plot, a simplistic battle system and no character development so fun?

Why are all my favourite RPGs on 16-bit consoles when I can barely bring myself to finish those on the newer systems? I mean, why Chrono Trigger over Final Fantasy VIII? Why Final Fantasy VI over Final Fantasy X? Why Phantasy Star IV over... I dunno, Xenosaga?(Note: I've never played Xenosaga. Neither FFVIII nor FFX, however, have I ever been able to force myself to finish, whereas I've played CT twice and FFVI at least three times)

Just because it's old, doesn't automatically make it shit.

Ask me if I'd rather listen to the Beatles or to, say, Blink 182. Go on.

Eh. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 1, 2005, 03:33 AM
On 2005-10-30 17:59, Kaeorii wrote:

TV: There's alot of crap.. just as a whole. I hardly even watch TV.. it is kinda funny to go back and watch old sitcoms and realize how damn cheesy they are.. but hell, you grew up with them. Nowadays it's all reality TV, drama, and gangsta rap music videos.. TV can bite me. =P

My grandma turned on some TV show from years ago the other day and it was awesome.

This show was called Taxi. I was laughing out loud at jokes like: "Eat up, its expensive, and you know how rich people like food that is small and tastes weird."

A guy knew a girl over the phone through an answering messages service(technology of old) and they were all talking about it at work. They all thought she was very nice over the phone but no one dared to go out with her. She might be ugly or something.

She was overweight when the guy decides to ask her on a date and meets her in person. She was bickering to him about everything he said or did. "Oh stop trying to be a nice guy and finish the date, you know I'm not what you expected."

His friends show up at his date to ask for something about an emergency and laugh about her. He tells the to quit it, its not that funny.

Acceptance/dating/peer pressure joking around kinda thing that goes on today.
-

MOVIES!

I can sit through old Van Damme movies or Enter the Dragon anytime and still find them great and funny. Kickboxer- with the villan Tong Po, Bloodsport- with the villan Chong Li? C'mon, those movies are just fun all around. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Some people today might call something like 8 Mile an old movie. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

My Nas CD from 1994 is amazing. My brother turned on a CD from The Roots from 1994 as well, saying it sounds just as good and current as the CD's today.

Also, explain the Price is Right?(if Bob Barker dies, that show is soo over after decades of being on the air) or wine getting better with age? The Beatles?

People spend loads of money on old Michael Jordan sneakers on auction sites or whatever.

You can say old things suck(and piss off a lot of people in the process) but give more of a reason besides they are old. Just being old doesn't make it bad. in the same vein, just because its old doesn't mean its good either.

There's no way you can make a case for that old Family Fued game on NES being ANY FUN, for example. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif