PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lenard
Nov 1, 2005, 09:27 PM
everyone speaks of guns like they have such knowledge and authority (not that i am the ultimate authority, but i have alot of experiance), they compare the preformance of guns in videogames to the preformance of guns in real life. people have skewed views on firearms and i feel the urge to set u all straight once and for all. the following is a post from another site that which had an arguement over which was better the M9 or the M1911 and a debate of the 9mm round vs the .45 round incorporating stopping power, weight, etc. people sighted other guns such as the deagle calling them great and ammazing etc, i felt the urge to correct their skewed views on guns and for the hell of it homework sucks. so here it is, if you have anything to add please do.

all of you people's firearms knowledge is lacking and your ignorance has left me cringing, please allow me to educate you. first lets start off with how many of you are old enough to own a real pistol or rifle for that matter/have actually shot a pistol and hit what you are shooting at. for those of you who havent, a pistol is much diffeent than a rifle, its alot harder to shoot, you have almost no support, shorter barrel etc. although because of your experiences with airsoft pistols i do not doubt your accuracy, somethings are the same. secondly the deagle comes in 3 calibers, not only 1, .357 mag, .44 mag, and .50AE (action express a.k.a. mag ) the .50AE is the one that most people know about and goes by the name of Desert Eagle Mark XIX (19) there are various models. a desert eagle in the mark XIX (19) form weighs almost 4 1/2 pounds with an empty magazine in the handle thus, making it unweildy. plus the ammo is heavy and may not shoot as fast as smaller caliber weapons(this im not 100% sure about but it is a reasonable inference)and the general idea is if Y rounds are fired down range you should be killing X bad guys (Y represents more or a greater number). thrid, a 9mm bullet will kill or stop most people with 1-3 shots, THERE WILL BE SPECIAL CASES, you underestimate the power of the round. a hallow point 9mm bullet goes through you and your kevlar vest (at around 22 ft. but it also fragments and makes big exit wounds) so its gonna hurt no matter where or how many times you're shot. fourth, the army adopted the M9 because it is lighter, has a higher magzine capacity, apparently cheaper, and more ammmo can be carried in comparison to the M1911. this scenario can be compared to the adoption of the M16 and near discountinued use of the M14; army leaders were reluctant to adopt the M16 becasue of the smaller caliber but in reality , .223(M16) has (to my recolection) just about the same velocity or higher than that of the 7.62x51mm (M14) bullet and is for sure much more manigable becasue of its lower weight and recoil. therefore, i doubt the M1911 will be re-entered into service in its full entirety (yes i realize it is still used a bit), i have talked to army personel who actually work with firearms that say they are going to be phasing out the M9 soon (and they say so with such joy!). fifth, take into account body armor, tactical vest containing magaizines, and anything and everything other people could be wearing when they are shot which can stop/slow the velocity of the bullets to a point where it does little or nothing; if you are shot in the chest through a tactical vest, magazine, and the kevlar lining (assuming there is any), that bullet isnt going to do as much as it would when it just simply struck you in the chest missing all obstructions. and finnally, i dont care who you are, no matter what caliber of bullet you are shot by be it .22 or .50 you're gonna feel it and most likely will be hurting from it. if i put 3 9mm or .45 bullets (for you .45 lovers) in your chest you are most likely going to die or be mortally wounded. and before you question my firearms authority, i am a a NRA member and have acheived the rank of Distinguished Expert. all i have written has come from experiance.

Eihwaz
Nov 1, 2005, 09:50 PM
First off, even if you're copying a block of text from another website, at least try to throw a few carriage returns. Huge block of texts = pain. :3

Anyway, yes, I totally agree with you. Anyone who says that video games "train" you to use firearms is painfully ignorant. Even the more realistic firing games (Sniper Elite came to mind) do nothing to simulate the feel of the gun in your hand, nor do they allow you to feel the weapon kick against your shoulder, etc.

On a side note, I love shooting my dad's .38 special revolver. Such a great little gun, though we had to get it repaired because it wasn't firing all the time when I tried to use the double action.

InfinityXXX
Nov 1, 2005, 10:18 PM
I can't stand guns, I hate em, but I think people should know that handling a gun in a video game is different than handling one in real life.

You seem to know a lot about guns,lol.

Dangerous55
Nov 1, 2005, 10:56 PM
On 2005-11-01 19:18, InfinityXXX wrote:
I can't stand guns, I hate em, but I think people should know that handling a gun in a video game is different than handling one in real life.

Why do you hate an inanimate object.

I agree with the above stuff, I dislike when people act knowledgable about guns, and other stuff.

Those arguments(45vs9mm,308vs223,M16vsAK) are a waste of time, in the end what is going to matter is bullet placement. A .32 is gonna kill me just as easily as a .22 or 9x18.

Lenard
Nov 1, 2005, 11:46 PM
i agree with you infinity, people need to know the differences between rality and video games. my brothers perceptioon of reality is dangerously skewed at times and i have to put things in perspective for him however, i like guns a lot so much so im gonna try and make a career out of it but i respect your opinion as it is not wrong. and dangerous i beleive you mean 9x19 as in 9mm parabellum not 9x18 http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Dangerous55
Nov 2, 2005, 12:04 AM
On 2005-11-01 20:46, Lenard wrote:
and dangerous i beleive you mean 9x19 as in 9mm parabellum not 9x18 http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

No, 9x18 Makarov. Which I own.

Lenard
Nov 2, 2005, 12:11 AM
ahhhhh ic, how common is it, ive dont recal hearing of it before. nevermind i found out mysel.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lenard on 2005-11-01 21:13 ]</font>

Dangerous55
Nov 2, 2005, 12:40 AM
On 2005-11-01 21:11, Lenard wrote:
ahhhhh ic, how common is it, ive dont recal hearing of it before. nevermind i found out mysel.

It is a pretty common pistol caliber. Russians designed it for the Makarov, Com Bloc countries still use it and it has some pupularity here. I like it, I think CZ chambers the 83 in it amongst others.

Solstis
Nov 2, 2005, 01:19 AM
On 2005-11-01 21:40, Dangerous55 wrote:

On 2005-11-01 21:11, Lenard wrote:

It is a pretty common pistol caliber. Russians designed it for the Makarov, Com Bloc countries still use it and it has some pupularity here. I like it, I think CZ chambers the 83 in it amongst others.

Sounds interesting, looks like it has some nifty history.

Yeah, I find guns to be exciting - this is why I will never want to hold one. I'm sure that I'd do something stupid.

"Hey, didn't you use to have 10 fingers?"

"Yeah... um..."

Dangerous55
Nov 2, 2005, 02:26 PM
On 2005-11-01 22:19, Solstis wrote:

Sounds interesting, looks like it has some nifty history.

Yeah, I find guns to be exciting - this is why I will never want to hold one. I'm sure that I'd do something stupid.

"Hey, didn't you use to have 10 fingers?"

"Yeah... um..."

Eh you would be suprised how hard it would be to get hurt if you have common sense. Try a handgun or longgun out if you think they are interesting.

InfinityXXX
Nov 2, 2005, 05:34 PM
On 2005-11-01 19:56, Dangerous55 wrote:

On 2005-11-01 19:18, InfinityXXX wrote:

Why do you hate an inanimate object.

My father use to to hold me and my mom hostage with them and threaten us but I rather not get deep into that. Yes, its foolish to hate a nonliving thing but thats just me.

But I have a question, how do you guys feel about parents that don't let their children play with water guns or cap guns in fear of that their child might be violent or bad?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-11-02 14:41 ]</font>

InfinityXXX
Nov 2, 2005, 05:38 PM
(double post error)

Dangerous55
Nov 2, 2005, 05:51 PM
On 2005-11-02 14:34, InfinityXXX wrote:

But I have a question, how do you guys feel about parents that don't let their children play with water guns or cap guns in fear of that their child might be violent or bad?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-11-02 14:41 ]</font>

I don't think that has any affect on a child(or what it becomes) either way. I never had the internet as a kid and I use it all the time.

I think basic knowledge on how to operate, clean and store firearms of any nature is good for every citizen.

Eihwaz
Nov 2, 2005, 06:31 PM
On 2005-11-02 14:34, InfinityXXX wrote:
Yes, its foolish to hate a nonliving thing but thats just me.

You should try to overcome your hate for a gun. Guns, of course, are not inherently good or evil, it's how they're used.

Eh. It's their choice. Personally, if I had kids, I wouldn't let them play with water/cap guns, just on the basis of it setting up the mindset of "gun = toy". It'd be better to take the kids out to a shooting range and teach them proper gun safety, and start them off with a .22 rimfire rifle. :3

On 2005-11-02 14:51, Dangerous55 wrote:
I think basic knowledge on how to operate, clean and store firearms of any nature is good for every citizen.

Quoted for truth.

Lenard
Nov 2, 2005, 06:59 PM
well, i personally played with toy guns as a kid all the itme but also grew up learning that real guns are not toys at teh same time. i was able to distingusih the difference from a real gun and a toy gun because i starting shooting at a young age, simply let a person who takes gun saftey lightly shoot a big one so they can feel the power and responsiblity associated with it, theyll know that they were wrong. as dangerous said, basic operatation and knowing how to safely handle a firearm is something everyone should know, it can prevent alot of accidents and put an end to silly misconceptions

Scejntjynahl
Nov 2, 2005, 07:00 PM
Any inanimate object is a tool of death in the hands of an idiot.