PDA

View Full Version : an Idea for ST

Skuda
Nov 2, 2005, 11:19 AM
Why not release PSU offline on Pc and PS2 now, and then release a patch for PC and a new disk for a next gen system for online?

This way, we would all have a chance to play offline and understand the story before we plunge into online.

Puppet_Papaya
Nov 2, 2005, 11:38 AM
Yaaar! I don't care about offline though! Ethan Webber can suck it.

OdinTyler
Nov 2, 2005, 12:02 PM
PSU should be released as 2 separate DVDs. I know it wont happen, but, imagine if it was? Offline & online having their own separate CD. Separating them allows for more space for the game & making a larger game overall. CDs are very cheap to produce so its entirely possible. With the supposed release dates looming around the corner, I imagine the game is already final & being packaged for shipping as we speak. Thats if the dates are correct. We had a topic about this before btw. The general public of PSU wants to go online as quick as possible. Not that we hate offline mode. We're just anxious to make our own chars. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Lovejuice
Nov 2, 2005, 12:48 PM
See, I really want to get bashing things online as quickly as possible, but the one thing that bothers me is that on the off-chance I decide to venture into the offline game - everything may have been spoiled by witnessing parts of it online (as in, bosses and areas, obviously the majority of the story would be untouched). I mean, hasn't it been stated that online areas are just 'randomized' versions of offline dungeons and stuff? Hopefully there might be a few things offline that you can't fight online without doing a special quest, or having it unlocked, or something. For example, say the charming creature Dark Falz of PSO was the last boss in both PSU on/off mode. If you fought him online (with very minimal story) for the first time, would it perhaps cheapen the experience of doing the same offline with Ethan? I just hope there's some 'uniqueness' in each mode.. oh the dilemma.

Of course, on the flip-side, I get to have the "Omgz Wowz3rs" of witnessing everything for the first time, online. Hmm!

PhruitBaskit
Nov 2, 2005, 01:23 PM
Keep them together!!! Like there's any ither option. It would be stupid to release PSU at seperate times...even if there are two different versions.

Skuda
Nov 2, 2005, 02:05 PM
I have been hearing that there will be a story for online, but it will be a continuation of the story in offline (along with encounters with ethan and other characters online).

If you played online without knowing the story of offline, you may be in the dark on a few issues untill you actually explore online.

If we had a chance to do offline first (without the obvious distraction of online), then we would understand the story alot better when we do get online.

just a thought.

Nash
Nov 2, 2005, 02:20 PM
Yeah, as far as we know online is a continuation of the story so I think offline will complement the online game not spoil it. And I'm sure the final boss will be very different.

Also offline is a great way of pulling more people into the online game. People may buy it just for the 1-player game, and then go online later to see what it's like and get hooked. It's a great way of maximising the number of people playing the game, and better than just selling to existing PSO fans.

The more people playing the better, so keep offline and online together.

OdinTyler
Nov 2, 2005, 03:08 PM
What I meant by separate is release them together in 1 game case, just have the online & offline modes on 2 separate DVDs. Selling for separate prices would be just retarded. As for the timeline, I think its been established in interviews that the online mode takes place in the same timeframe as offline. This would then mean bosses (including final) would most likely be the same. There just wont be the hindrance of 'we have to do this in order to do that' kind of mentality. Those that want freedom will gravitate towards the online mode. Those that want a mission-based story to complete will do offline. Crossing over is expected.

_Tek_
Nov 3, 2005, 03:10 PM
It was cause customer confusion, because most people are dumb.

Also, they'll probably be able to cram both online and offline into one disc, which means they won't need to have double the discs created at their factories.

Nai_Calus
Nov 3, 2005, 03:32 PM
Keep 'em together. I might not even get it, but if I do, I'll be playing offline first for the story... And hell if I want to shell out another 50 bucks for something I might end up only wanting to play online for one month, since you can't use your characters offline. XP (You know, that was my beef with PSOBB, too. I HATE not 'owning' my characters. -_-;

PhruitBaskit
Nov 4, 2005, 09:15 PM
You MIGHT not get PSU...How could you not get it? Any real PS fan would http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Come on dude, it's the next freakin' Phanasy Star! What the hell!?! I'm sure you've got your reasons, but not getting PSU pfft Lame!

Though I've got to admit not being able to use your chars in offline mode does suck...But...(wait, I'll make a topic off this idea I just had...)

Nai_Calus
Nov 4, 2005, 09:35 PM
*insert bitching about the tech system and it not being set in Algol here* http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Parn
Nov 4, 2005, 10:08 PM
I'm glad they're not doing anything in Algo. Algo's story has been told and was ended, and any attempt to make a prequel or sequel would result in Phantasy Star fans foaming at the mouth because it wouldn't meet each fan's specific vision of what they think Phantasy Star should be.

So long as they retain the "spirit" of the series, I'm happy.

OdinTyler
Nov 4, 2005, 10:38 PM
The series is rooted in Algol. It wouldnt kill the series to return to it. Its not a must. Just something that would be nice. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Besides to say that the Algol storyline is done with (because of how IV ended) is preposterous. The Profound Darkness is PURE evil & evil cant so easily be destroyed.

Parn
Nov 5, 2005, 09:41 AM
It wouldn't kill the series, sure. But as I said, most Phantasy Star fans wouldn't be happy with anything that would be done, because it wouldn't fit their personal vision of what they think should be done.

As far as the Profound Darkness, of course it isn't dead. Le Roof stated that the seal would be rendered meaningless, not that the Profound Darkness would be destroyed. Unless that was Sega taking creative liberties with the translation, that leaves room for a sequel, but then... see: above regarding making a sequel.

OdinTyler
Nov 5, 2005, 09:44 AM
Leroof may have stated one thing, but, the heroes (including Rune, foolishly I may add) that the Profound Darkness was in fact destroyed. Obviously wrong, & yes, you know Sega & their translations: make great games, translations need work. LOL

Parn
Nov 5, 2005, 09:52 AM
Nah, they said that he was defeated at the end, not destroyed. Though Rune did claim that the Elsydeon was the only weapon capable of destroying the Profound Darkness, but that's an event slightly before Chaz met with Alisa's spirit within the sword itself.

Ultimately though, Le Roof would know more about the outcome of the fight than the protectors given his position, and so it comes down to his statement.

OdinTyler
Nov 5, 2005, 10:04 AM
Personally, I would agree w/anyone who knows you cant just destroy the ultimate evil, even with ONE sword. As we all know, Elsydeon is supposed to be Alis's old Laconian sword. Laconia is a holy-blessed metal. Yes, it can destroy a Darkfalz, but, not the source.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 5, 2005, 01:20 PM
What was 'the source' of all evil anyways?

And yes, just because Falz was destroyed doesn't mean that there shall be no evil in Algol any more. A Phantasy Star sequel in Algol wouldn't have been bad...Although no matter how good it could have been it still won't be any better than the PSU we're going to get eventually.

OdinTyler
Nov 5, 2005, 07:01 PM
The Profound Darkness would be something one would think of as pure evil, with the Great Light being pure good. PSIV wants you to believe that PD was destroyed, but, as I said, thats pure nonsense.