PDA

View Full Version : How come no HDD for PS2?

Circ
Nov 4, 2005, 12:17 AM
Hello, totally new to these parts. So be nice lol.

I just been reading about Phantasy Star U and what I read (on here) said that you will not need a Hard drive for the PS2 when going online. This might sound stupid, but from also reading I read there will be new content for several years for PSU. So if no hardrive how is the content going to be made available for the PS2. I don't have a PS2 but I was considering getting one when this game is released. I have an Xbox though, as we all know rules! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Anyways thanks for reading,

Take Care

Circ

Kent
Nov 4, 2005, 12:32 AM
Memory cards.

They're most likely going to pull a PSO, and by "adding content," they mean, they're going to rearrange currently existing content, and let you download scripts for new quests and such.

Zaphile
Nov 4, 2005, 12:37 AM
I think it's going to be like GameCube, etc, in that the updates will be server-sided... or something. I dunno. I was curious when I read that tidbit, too.

GaijinPUnch
Nov 4, 2005, 01:33 AM
Naka says in an interview that Sony C-blocked them on the HDD support.

Nash
Nov 4, 2005, 04:15 AM
The new slim model of the PS2 doesn't support the HDD, so it made sense for them to make the game work without it. Most additional content will just be quests or unlocking what is already on the game disc anyway, so it won't need much space.

PS2 memory cards are a lot bigger than DC/GC ones were, so they'll be able to do more with downloads if they choose to as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nash on 2005-11-04 01:16 ]</font>

Rion772
Nov 4, 2005, 05:49 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much, ST has it all figured out. They wouldn't hook us up with a really good game and forget about putting the stuff to add over the years on the disc or not have thought of a way to transfer that to our data.

OdinTyler
Nov 4, 2005, 03:28 PM
With server-side saving, theres no real need for the HD. Sure, it would be nice...as an option. Based on everything being server-side, content will be brought up off the disc & also written & saved onto the server, much as how its done on EQOA.

Blitzkommando
Nov 4, 2005, 04:15 PM
I believe the real issue isn't so much about content, as it is about patches and updates. Limiting patches and updates to just memory cards has the same potential problems as PSOGC faced, no way to fix any problems that arise. It also means the possibility of more 'version' games like DreamCast had. Now, hopefully I am wrong about these and that Sega already has plans to fix these issues, but if not then it won't be something that would be completely unexpected either.

But, the primary concern I have is if because of this, PC and PS2 versions could be separate games. This has all been said before, I know, but still it concerns me as I shall be getting the PC version and a number of people I know will be getting PS2. PS2 and PC games have already been linked before, FFXI, 4x4 Evo, etc. But the only MMO game that I can think of that is, has harddrive support. Let's just hope Sega has already worked through this and I am just kicking up smoke rather than real issues.

OdinTyler
Nov 4, 2005, 04:33 PM
Point noted, but, since chars are going to be server-saved, all patches should (& I stress the word should) be added there as well. As good as the HD would be for a game like PSU, Im sure theres going to be more than enough room on ST's servers. That is, if the space is put to proper usage & maintenance.

Zaphile
Nov 4, 2005, 06:30 PM
If content updates are done server sided, then, well..I hope it's not like Final Fantasy XI when it comes to maintenance. Maintenances take 4 hours + generally, and it was recently explained because they had to do some server reboot procedure or whatever.

Luce
Nov 4, 2005, 06:48 PM
at least will have an offline to hold off on the 4 hours unlike FXI if it really will take that long

PhruitBaskit
Nov 4, 2005, 09:00 PM
To the title: If the question was how come there's no HDD for PS2, the answer is quite simply because it's not needed. Like Zaphile said we'll have memory cards and like Odin said with the server-side saving...An HDD isn't really necessary. Plus the new PS2 doesn't support the HDD...But Nash already said that! (Too much quoting http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif)

OdinTyler
Nov 4, 2005, 10:47 PM
And like Phruit said, one has alot to ponder...

(There, happy Phruit? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

_Tek_
Nov 5, 2005, 04:14 AM
I read sony wanted to find a new simpler way to download stuff. I suppose they wanted something other than the HDD, so that you couldn't download games.

They just need to produce a really big memory card, and sell it a fair price.

But you know sony, they make all those plans, never finish them, and eat all our delicious money.

omegabuild
Nov 5, 2005, 04:48 AM
Simply, there is no HDD support because sony has destroyed teh HDD, its not on sale anymore, and they do not support it any longer. Server side saving btw is only for charachter data stuff. if you have to downlaod regular game info everytime you play teh game, you will be waiting for 2 hours to walk around.

The soloution? put everything you want in the game in the game already, activate it over time. server can hold small info like how to set up a map or npc text.

The problem: if you have a bug or game flaw there is no way to correct it, IE teh various bugs allowing people to dupe items WITHOUT any actual hacking or action replay liek devices. Other problems such as straight up bugs also cannot be fixed. You will also never really get "new" content, for ex west tower and east tower were built into GC pso disks, and merely unlocked later.
So yeah teh life of teh game is pretty weak, over time if teh game is popular they only have expansion disks as an option. Personaly i hope they will seperate teh servers, but most likely they will just make the pc suffer with whatever problems they develop for ps2 people

OdinTyler
Nov 5, 2005, 09:47 AM
Thats a really negative way to look at the game. Once again, someone is bashing the game & seeing its end before its even out. Since you brought up the West Tower, Ill use that as an example. It wasnt always accessible for players (tho we could clearly see it from the CC). When made accessible, technically, it became new content. Its all a matter of perspective. Just give the game a chance before you slate it for its own undoing.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 5, 2005, 12:35 PM
On 2005-11-04 19:47, OdinTyler wrote:
And like Phruit said, one has alot to ponder...

(There, happy Phruit? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

Close enough to happy, I guess...

And lighten up people! Damn! Don't talk shit about this game until it comes out and you've played it...After you've seen what's in the game rant & rave all you want, until then...

g00dman12
Nov 5, 2005, 05:23 PM
On 2005-11-05 01:48, omegabuild wrote:
Simply, there is no HDD support because sony has destroyed teh HDD, its not on sale anymore, and they do not support it any longer. Server side saving btw is only for charachter data stuff. if you have to downlaod regular game info everytime you play teh game, you will be waiting for 2 hours to walk around.

The soloution? put everything you want in the game in the game already, activate it over time. server can hold small info like how to set up a map or npc text.

The problem: if you have a bug or game flaw there is no way to correct it, IE teh various bugs allowing people to dupe items WITHOUT any actual hacking or action replay liek devices. Other problems such as straight up bugs also cannot be fixed. You will also never really get "new" content, for ex west tower and east tower were built into GC pso disks, and merely unlocked later.
So yeah teh life of teh game is pretty weak, over time if teh game is popular they only have expansion disks as an option. Personaly i hope they will seperate teh servers, but most likely they will just make the pc suffer with whatever problems they develop for ps2 people

they would just fix what bugs they got on the PC and not the ps2 if they cant

OdinTyler
Nov 5, 2005, 06:51 PM
Couldnt have said it better, Phruit. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

PhruitBaskit
Nov 5, 2005, 08:04 PM
You probably could have...And what the hell did omegabuild mean by they will just make the pc suffer with whatever problems they develop for ps2!?! That is a load of shit! PSU is going to be just as if not more kick ass on PS2 than it is on PC. [/b]LINKED SERVERS[b] would be better because one version won't fall behind the other and then everyone will be able to play together, not apart. I hope they're linked just so omegabuild can SUFFER! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

The first time I typed apart, it came out 'aprat' LOL But I changed it...Bug Prat!