PDA

View Full Version : Cut-In Chat

Zaphile
Nov 4, 2005, 12:45 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but, in the update SEGA added "Cutin Chat" on Network section. Cutin Chat being the new symbol chat thingy, with your character's face.. Has someone translated the text on it yet? It'd be intresting to learn more about it...

Kaeorii
Nov 4, 2005, 12:50 AM
I believe that was actually 2 updates ago.. unless they updated more on it.. I haven't looked at the site, though.. and my Japanese sucks.. hehee

OdinTyler
Nov 4, 2005, 03:31 PM
Cut-in chat was somewhat mentioned before, but, I still have a couple questions on it. One, Ive seen a person's face in a balloon. I know its a pic of your char. However, Ive noticed that not all chat balloons carry a person's face. So, I was wondering: does the face come up randomly, preprogrammed in a shortcut, etc? How does that work? Second, will we be able to have regular symbol chat in addition to the cut-in or is it gone entirely?

Kaeorii
Nov 4, 2005, 03:56 PM
I'm placing bets on it being the face of your character.. but we'll see, I guess.. I just want the game to come out already. lol

Sir_Laguna
Nov 4, 2005, 03:57 PM
I'm thinking the cut-in chat is going to replace Symbol Chat entirely, and we won't see any more of that. I'm sure if Symbol Chat was going to be in there, we'd have seen screenshots or information about it being in the game already. Sonic Team was probably looking for a way for players to use expressions yet get rid of potentially offensive pictures people were using in PSO, and this is what they came up with.

I say, leave it to the few to screw it up for the rest of us. I don't mind the cut-in chat, and I actually think it's pretty cool. But there were some real masters of the Symbol Chat art out there, and I will miss seeing their work in PSU.

Blitzkommando
Nov 4, 2005, 04:08 PM
On 2005-11-04 12:57, Sir_Laguna wrote:
I say, leave it to the few to screw it up for the rest of us. I don't mind the cut-in chat, and I actually think it's pretty cool. But there were some real masters of the Symbol Chat art out there, and I will miss seeing their work in PSU.

Indeed, indeed. I rather enjoyed making symbol chats as well. I think that it is potentially better than symbol chat, but I also think it is potentially worse. I remember the videos showing it with fancy animations, sounds, and flashing lights. While that is all well and good, it could have the same potentially annoying properties to it as well. Let's just hope there is a 'cut-in chat per minute' limit, or an ability to turn it off. Very little was more annoying than the Episode III "super-speed" symbol chat spam.

OdinTyler
Nov 4, 2005, 04:38 PM
Yes, I remember bugging some ppl for the creative symbols they had (once they were showing them off). A few were nice enough to share them. Very creative stuff. If theyre gone however, then so be it. Still, about the face being shown, I question. I didnt see your char's face attached to everything said so is it something you choose for hotkeys? Is it random? Or does one face show only when someone is talking at that moment, then, disappears to make room for the next person talking? If thats not controlled we're gonna see faces getting spammed all over again! LOL

Neith
Nov 4, 2005, 06:00 PM
Looks like a nice enough idea, I just hope the Cut-in-Chat doesn't interfere with in-combat too much, wouldn't want it like PSO where you'll be fighting, and your view gets obscured by ''Get with SSJ"

Zaphile
Nov 4, 2005, 06:23 PM
Wouldn't that be lovely... the SSJ situation. lol

PhruitBaskit
Nov 4, 2005, 08:52 PM
I think that cut-in-chat will be an okay replacement for symbol chat. Like some of you have already posted, I too will miss some of those extra sweet symbols that the masters of symbol chat had made...Some of 'em were pretty damn cool. I think cut-in-chat will be a fine replacement though. And if it's interference with combat is minimal, then that's even better! We'll see what it'll be like...

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Nov 4, 2005, 09:09 PM
I was thinking... all the pictures I have seen of the Cut in Chat so far, the pictures have come up on the left or right side of the screen. So I'm thinking that they wont be as obtrusive as the symbol chats of old, if they are indeed anchored to one of the sides.

Part of me doesnt mind seeing symbol chat go... The part of me that doesnt like to suddenly be flashed with obscene sexual pictures without warning. Although I gotta hand it to the people that made those... Obscene as they may have been, they were well done http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif;;

OdinTyler
Nov 4, 2005, 10:46 PM
Not all were obscene. Some were very talented creations. I have them copied on my main, so, if anyone wants to copy em from me when I get back online, ask. Some of what I have: E.T., a Dragon, the Grim Reaper, a Rappy, & some really cute cat ones. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I also came up w/one we used to use when someone got on our nerves. However, I cant post that one here! LOL Last, but, most certainly not least, my guild's crest, including a kanji char I created. Not bad, given with what I had to work with. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ANIMEniac
Nov 5, 2005, 01:26 AM
i REALLY hope that you can block ppl like you do in a chat room. that way even if they are typing offensive stuff then u can "mute" them.but im luvin the mess out of cut in chat cause i always wanted my chars to seem more... organtic? well i dont want them to look like they have athsma every time they stand still (no offense to anyone who really has it)

OdinTyler
Nov 5, 2005, 09:55 AM
Im presuming that the face shows up has lips moving to simulate speech or even shows some emotion. Thats what I was wondering. If we can choose the face to go with something thats said. Maybe have a shocked face closeup when we're shocked about something.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 5, 2005, 12:57 PM
Or a sad face when you're sad...Or a happy face when you're happy! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif That would be very cool. Different expressions would add a lot to cut-in chat. But then again it could make it more complicated...I can't take perplexity, it's just too much for me LOL Moving lips might be cool, but I've seen it look really corny in some games. I mean, it was REALLY bad!

OdinTyler
Nov 5, 2005, 07:03 PM
Since the last update was larger pics of ones we already saw, maybe they can show us close up vids of cut-in chat? It would be nice.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 5, 2005, 08:19 PM
Very nice...Maybe the next new video will shine a little more light on it. Come on let's see a cut-in chat motion picture, brough to you by ST. ::craving information::

OdinTyler
Nov 5, 2005, 11:16 PM
Maybe we could get one of our friends who understands kanji to write a letter to the site admins of the PSU site? Get them to post info on it. Couldnt hurt. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Kano-Okami
Nov 17, 2005, 12:35 PM
I hope the cut-in-chat faces aren't huge, taking up chunks of the screen, or atleast give the option to ignore them. That would royally suck if there was a critical situation while fighting a boss, and someone randomly does the face, taking up a chunk of the screen long enough to disorient you, leaving you wide open for a boss' attack..and those attacks won't tickle.

F-o-x
Nov 17, 2005, 01:39 PM
If cut-in-chat is going to be like a picture it, I'm going to have a lot of fun with it http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif It'll be great to see our character's faces showing emotion, I can think of a few shortcuts I'm going to want to set up as soon as I get online.

Kano-Okami
Nov 17, 2005, 04:54 PM
Aslong as they aren't "spammable", I don't mind the faces, but if an entire lobby is filled up with those faces, I'll be pist off...
I hope they don't have annoying sounds to them...like the anger sound from the symbol chat...gah, it gives me a headache thinking about that noise..

OdinTyler
Nov 17, 2005, 09:22 PM
The anger sound wasnt bad. I actually thought it was funny. The REAL bad sound was the sound you hear in places like the rescue Ult mission & the self-destruct is activated. You hear that sound over & over. Ive officially named it "THE MOST ANNNOYING PSO SOUND EVER"!

_Tek_
Nov 18, 2005, 03:00 AM
I rather like how its more like an anime reference. Plus pso has always been done in that sort of animated looking style, with all the sci fi fantasy parts, and all the colorful parts. Of course other games are the same, but its jsut seems the majority of online rpgs are medevil themed.

And since they did so much more work on character models this time, why not put them to good use and show them off?