PDA

View Full Version : PSO vs. PSU difficulty

vox3om
Nov 8, 2005, 06:01 PM
So I've been playing PSO GC again lately, dreaming that it is PSU...but I've found that playing alone from the beginning is not all that easy. The items that drop are horrible. Do you think that it will be this difficult to start your character in PSU?

PhruitBaskit
Nov 8, 2005, 06:11 PM
Personally, I do not think that I'll have much of a problem starting off in PSU. I loved playing PSO from the beginning and didn't think it was THAT bad. It'll be harder to start off offline that it will be online. In online, you'll have all your PSOW buddies to help you out! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Terrible item drops are nothing...

F-o-x
Nov 8, 2005, 06:15 PM
Eh... I almost feel like going back to play PSO too. I wish I had my memory card with all my characters on it...

I don't think it'll be all that hard. Once we get that hang of all the new battle stuff I'm sure we'll be knocking down "whatever-whatever" runs just like good old Forest-Ruins games on PSO. Plus we'll be able to help each other out, we won't be alone.

Rion772
Nov 8, 2005, 06:50 PM
It won't be hard at all, It'll actually be fun-Starting off in a game you've been waiting for with all of the people you talked to about it for months.

Dre_o
Nov 8, 2005, 07:44 PM
ONLINE it might be hard due to the modified bosses (from what I've heard) offline to online modified that is. The bosses and monsters may do major amounts of damage difference.

Rion772
Nov 8, 2005, 07:49 PM
On 2005-11-08 16:44, Dre_o wrote:
ONLINE it might be hard due to the modified bosses (from what I've heard) offline to online modified that is. The bosses and monsters may do major amounts of damage difference.

But think that it will be you and the other 5 players max on your team smashing 1 monster...it'll go quick each time until new difficulties are reached like PSO...I pray to god that we can go to different difficulties after we beat the previous.

F-o-x
Nov 8, 2005, 07:58 PM
Yeah it'll probably be like PSO with different difficulties. Well... I don't know. Since this game is supposed to be so much bigger, perhaps they will have certain leveling "areas" like in a MMORPG? Have they said what the level cap will be?

Rion772
Nov 8, 2005, 08:01 PM
On 2005-11-08 16:58, F-o-x wrote:
Yeah it'll probably be like PSO with different difficulties. Well... I don't know. Since this game is supposed to be so much bigger, perhaps they will have certain leveling "areas" like in a MMORPG? Have they said what the level cap will be?

No I don't think they have. Also I've heard it a lot here before but what is MMO in MMORPG? extra areas? doubt it, I believe in change in difficulty more.

Lovejuice
Nov 8, 2005, 08:21 PM
I severely doubt offline will initially be overly difficult. If PSU is going to be the offline-RPG experience Sega are touting it to be, it will more than likely feature some kind of tutorial system, or break in period, much like most other offline RPGs. The character Nav (and others) reek of the whole sensei vibe, and you're bound to get some Partner Machinery lecture. I mean, there is a story in offline PSU, it's a good bet that the first thing you do with Ethan is probably some Guardian 'mission' (that then goes horribly wrong revealing a villain, blah blah) to help you adjust to the new game, and teach you how to play. Likewise for things like techs and stuff - in the offline story, there will probably be some moment where Mirei or someone else will introduce you to the Hou system. PSU offline is not meant to be just the online mode by yourself, it's a whole different ball-game catered to the offline RPG gamer (as a kind of reaction to the amount of PSO players that exist that never ever went online), remember that! All those trailers and teasers about 'The Next Phantasy Star? PSO 2?', this game is meant to be both.

Online PSU will be much like online PSO I imagine, in the sense you just pick up and dive right in. Of course, Sega will have wanted you to play the offline game too, so you have some inkling as to what you are doing. Otherwise, there might just be some simple tutorial 'quests' like at the start of PSO, with Ash and Elenor introducing you to simple combat and MAGs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lovejuice on 2005-11-08 17:23 ]</font>

Rion772
Nov 8, 2005, 08:26 PM
I agreed, it'll be similiar to PSO and won't be overly difficult, but I think that because it'll be 6 to a group max...6 guys on 1 enemy is just way tooo easy, but that won't be the case all of the time.

vox3om
Nov 8, 2005, 08:31 PM
Yeah I understand that online mode won't be as difficult esp. since you have all your friends on there...but maybe its just because its PSO and I've already been through it, and had great weapons, and lost great weapons, and its no fun starting with a Cane +2...haha

F-o-x
Nov 8, 2005, 08:37 PM
Just to answer your question from before Rion: MMO means "Massively Multiplayer Online" in MMORPG (These tend to be much bigger games as far as areas are concerned, and take much longer to level up) but most people consider PSO an ORPG (Online RPG).

Rion772
Nov 8, 2005, 09:34 PM
On 2005-11-08 17:31, vox3om wrote:
Yeah I understand that online mode won't be as difficult esp. since you have all your friends on there...but maybe its just because its PSO and I've already been through it, and had great weapons, and lost great weapons, and its no fun starting with a Cane +2...haha

I know what you're saying, an example is I got my Lv 60 HUcast corrupted...he was my first character. Let's not worry, relax, and have fun when it's out.

Thanks fox, I'm surprised I didn't figure that out on my own.

Sinue_v2
Nov 9, 2005, 12:51 AM
From what I've read of various reviews of the demo at E3 and TGS, the difficulty level of PSU seems to have been ramped up quite a bit. (Apperantly, a lot of players were upset that PSO was too easy) Though that was just a demo model - and we won't know for sure until the game has been properly balanced and released.

tank1
Nov 9, 2005, 07:45 AM
you say that the bosse's will be easy because theyll be 6 on 1 but what if on online the difficulty of the game goes up depending on the size of your party?

OdinTyler
Nov 9, 2005, 01:38 PM
If it does, it would make alot of sense. I mean it would basically instil that you need a good solid team to take down enemies. What if someone gets to a lvl where they can just solo everything? Yeah its cool...for about 5min. Then, it would get major boring & thats when ppl would want to leave. For those that havent played PSIII, indulge me for a second. It relates. When you start out with just your char, you hear a basic melody in the field. As more ppl come & go from your party, it adds to the theme song.
When you have a full party of 5, the entire song is heard. I always loved this effect. Not only did it encourage you to want to find other party members, but, it inspires you to take that group & lay waste to evil everywhere. Idk if that will happen in PSU, but, that nudging of needing a team is definitely present. If the difficulty were increase or if the group gained some type of bonuses for adding members to one's party, thats a strategy I can see investing in.

F-o-x
Nov 9, 2005, 02:12 PM
Thats one of the things I enjoyed about PSO, the fact that you didn't need a specific party set up, or anyone but yourself for that matter, to kick the crap out of things. It was kind of fun to be able to take down lots of enemies online alone, but if the difficulty has been upped I'll just hope that it won't be like another certain online RPG I've recently stopped playing where you need a team to do ANYTHING after level ten.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, yeah make it a bit tougher but don't make it so hard that soloing isn't an option anymore.

Kano-Okami
Nov 9, 2005, 03:08 PM
I just hope PSU is more solo friendly.
I know this isn't quite a difficulty as in gameplay but it is a difficulty in online single play. Sometimes on PSO, I would want to make some progress on my own online, without having to endure the offline mode...and I would inevitably get stuck by pressure sensitive plates for a door.. T_T...
I didn't mind the increased difficulty of the enemies; In fact, thats why I favored online over offline on PSO, but those multi-pressure point doors would always hender any notion, making it difficult to progress alone..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kano-Okami on 2005-11-09 12:10 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Nov 9, 2005, 04:06 PM
Well, as Im sure youll be aware from reading other posts in the forum, offline & online are very different modes. Whereas in online you have a choice to play alone or not, offline is all you with NPCs. In other words, a more traditional style. Watch out for those traps. Try to use some Trap Vision. I know they dont apply to the floor traps (they should tho http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif ).

Kano-Okami
Nov 9, 2005, 04:21 PM
hmm?
I have no problem with traps,
Its the '2-4 player requirement' for pathways to open that I found difficult. It made solo progress on pso while playing online a nuisance.

Lovejuice
Nov 9, 2005, 04:29 PM
Of course, there all these little snippets around stating that your handy-dandy Partner Machinery device might be able to 'take the place' of a team-mate, should you be feeling those anti-social vibes..

Oh what fun duos will spawn from PSU! Ethan and Karen! Bonnie and Clyde! Er... Jessie and James? Still, it'll be fun to see just what we can do with our little robot people (and what they might be able to do to the big bad guys).

OdinTyler
Nov 9, 2005, 11:05 PM
Yeah, weve been talking about that before where if the PM becomes a full grown party member, like the Elenor one shown, we could send her to go stand on a trap, maybe hit a switch, etc. Thats something Ive wanted NPCs to do before. How come if theres 2 switches, the NPC couldnt help me out? Show a cinema? Something! Sheesh...

ANIMEniac
Nov 10, 2005, 01:23 AM
Well i have to admit i dint take the time to read the whole thread but i think PSU will be harder. i say this cause each episode is harder than the next. and sorry if some1 already said this but im posting at 1:23 am and have to gett up 4 school.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 12, 2005, 02:12 PM
Well if you read the whole thread you would remember (if you didn't know already) that offline mode and online mode are almost totally different. So you can't really compare the two. Cuz in online there'll be different enemies and teammates to help you out. Offline will be you and a couple stupid Computer chars...Might as well go solo. And what do you mean by 'PSU will be harder' (offline, online, as a whole)? Specify a little...

HC82
Nov 13, 2005, 12:38 PM
I played the demo and the game wasn't really harder, but it has the potential to be more intense. Your character movements are more free, you can strafe and run around enemies easier. Your character is less slugish, overall.

Thus, it is totally feasible to have tons of stuff on screen flying at you and you the player being able to handle it, especially with the increased amount of players per game.

_Tek_
Nov 13, 2005, 03:22 PM
I think boss battles will be harder, with the new dodge move, they'll probably design the bosses to make us use the new move often. If you don't move you'll get owned fast.

This of gal gryphon in pso, how we had to run at the time to dodge. Well in PSU we can dodge instantly, and would probably own that gryphon. That's why I think th epsu bosses will be faster than the pso ones.

Rion772
Nov 13, 2005, 05:27 PM
No dount the bosses will be faster and we'll be dodging all the time...unless you're good at just sitting there getting beaten to death...

Since online is obviously going to be harder, mainly because you can have 6 people beating down a dragon all together. It would be way too easy if it was as easy as PSU with that many people fighting a single enemy.

_Tek_
Nov 14, 2005, 02:08 AM
I noticed in some vids with the dragon that when it does a large tail swoop attack, you get a very short notice. I wonder if some things will even be dodgeable.

HC82
Nov 14, 2005, 07:55 PM
The tail swoops as for as I know, are too fast to see coming and even if you do see it coming, if you're in mid swing, you can't do anything. All you can do is take the hit and resta.

The only ways to avoid it would be to follow the dragons patterns and run away around that time period, or pop-shot it from a distance. Each of these tactics causes you to deal less damage to the dragon.

As for as I know, there is no dodge button, but you can block attacks. I don't know if it is player triggered at stat based.

Rion772
Nov 14, 2005, 08:07 PM
If that's the case I'll just memorize the dragons patterns really quick and step away RIGHT BEFORE he attacks then step back up and decimate him.

_Tek_
Nov 15, 2005, 09:42 PM
Perhaps the dodge is a double tap motion with the stick.

Rion772
Nov 15, 2005, 09:53 PM
On 2005-11-15 18:42, _Tek_ wrote:
Perhaps the dodge is a double tap motion with the stick.

I'm assuming we all hope for that...

DeathMachine
Nov 17, 2005, 07:25 AM
What if the dificulty could be changed (i.e.: pso)? would the monsters change at ultimate mode and start causing head-aches? I know the first time I fought several Ob Lilies, I was killed so fast and frequently, I almost gave up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DeathMachine on 2005-11-17 08:57 ]</font>

F-o-x
Nov 17, 2005, 12:26 PM
The only reason they changed the monster's look in Ultimate mode was to make it seem new back in Dreamcast v2. But still if there are difficulties in PSU theres nothing stopping them from changing the way the monsters look in each mode.

With this being a larger game there may not even be difficulties anymore. Perhaps there will be different "Leveling areas" like in a MMORPG? Not that I care either way http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif