PDA

View Full Version : This months EGM

Ouch
Nov 9, 2005, 10:24 AM
Hello, I've just recently made this account but I've been scowering the boards for awhile. Recently I picked up this months issue of EGM and it has a little blip about PSU. The most important thing I noticed was the release date, they have it marked for Feb 2006. I think EGM is a pretty credible source so I hope this is true. That's all I got, uh do you agree?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ouch on 2005-11-09 07:24 ]</font>

F-o-x
Nov 9, 2005, 11:27 AM
I need to pick up this month's EGM... Yeah its been Feb 2006 for awhile now (I think the developer's said this in the beginning), but about a month ago a few online shops changed the ship date on it to May (But Sonic Team hasn't said anything regarding this). I think thats the way it went but I'm sketchy on the details.

Would it be too much to ask for you to type that blip out? I'm really interested in what it has to say and I can't really get to a shop right now. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

OdinTyler
Nov 9, 2005, 01:29 PM
I havent been able to really get video game mags in recent years, tho I try to read some as I see em. Printing what the article says would help us immensely. Idk about EGM being the most credible source, but, at this point we'll take any info we can get. Its just VERY odd that everyone seems to release somewhat of a specific date with the exception of the very developer of the game.

Ouch
Nov 9, 2005, 03:57 PM
I'd be happy to post the little blip about it, but I was just at a bookstore and picked it up and found the article. I'm sorry I can't help out there, if I manage to get ahold of it I'll be sure to type it out.

Kupi
Nov 9, 2005, 04:24 PM
The hottest place to meet your friends in 2006 will likely be a gleaming space station hovering above the Ragol star system. As the true sequel to Sega's pioneering online RPG Phantasy Star Online, Universe threatens to monopolize a terrifying amount of your free time. Seriously, even casual players can expect to drop at least 100 hours on the multiplayer action: Although it's not a Final Fantasy XI-style massively multiplayer affair, you'll still keep coming back to explore its gorgeous futuristic dungeons, smite killer bosses, and amass a never-ending array of cool items.

Sega's been avoiding full disclosure regarding details of the online mode, but we now know that you'll have six players in your party and that you'll be able to change your abilities and weapon preferences as you play, which should mark a big improvement over PSO's limited class system. You'll also be able to craft your own weapons, armor, and items and sell them to other players.

Sega has no qualms when it comes to chatting about PSU's single-player adventure, however. "PSO didn't concentrate on its offline game," explains Director Takao Miyoshi. "PSU has at least four times the content, with a huge 40-hour quest, hours of spoken dialogue, and an epic story." And since a shocking number of PSO owners never even dabbled in the online action, at least those guys will have a meaty, worthwhile story mode to tackle this time.

Forgive typos, please. Have to run.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kupi on 2005-11-09 13:24 ]</font>

Dhylec
Nov 9, 2005, 04:36 PM
Kupi wrote:

Well, not really something new or a ground-breaking announcement, but it shows that PSU is being anticipated quite eagerly. That's a good thing. ;]

GaijinPUnch
Nov 9, 2005, 07:39 PM
I would believe a retailer before I would believe a magazine (credible or not). Play Asia (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-43-15-Phantasy%2BStar%2BUniverse-70-mb8.html[/url) has the JPN PS2 version listed as being released on 12/22. (They don't carry import PC games). Before anyone freaks out, just keep in mind that the retailers often get their lists from distributors BEFORE the publisher announces it.

Anyone into bullet-hell shooters (like me!) might remember lots of speculation about Mushihime-sama. Some Cave fan apparently either checked Play Asia every day, or just stumbled across it, but they had a price and release date on their site about 2 weeks before Taito announced the port.

This is the import side of things, but could possible be applied to the US.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GaijinPUnch on 2005-11-09 16:40 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Nov 9, 2005, 10:59 PM
Why is it that only the fans seem to be anticipating the online part of PSU whereas ST 'says' they want to focus on the offline part & the mags will only play a small portion of offline & rate it. To really see all the game has to offer, one has to play both modes. I wish Gamefan were still around. They wouldve been all over this including updated interviews with the devs. They were a mag that RPG fans could relate to. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

GaijinPUnch
Nov 10, 2005, 12:03 AM
I'm not looking forward to the offline part b/c offline RPGs seem to wear very thin on me. I hope this one is different, but I'm sure I'll be playing online for weeks before I even bother with the offline part.

Kupi
Nov 10, 2005, 12:58 AM
Let me put it this way. All the people who are looking forward to the offline part? They're not online. Hence you don't see them or hear from them. They're in the minority online because most of them are offline or not interested enough in the online part to join or view a message board dedicated to it.

ecchichuu
Nov 10, 2005, 09:06 AM
I think Kupi got it about right. The producer himself said that the majority of people played PSO offline. Which I don't understand but hey, they're catering more to that audience now.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 10, 2005, 01:29 PM
All I can say is the sooner PSU comes out, the better. I thought the release date was set for Feb 2006, like, since we first saw pics from PSU on the PSOW homepage (a while ago). Feb 2006 is the date ST gave us for PSU to be released, isn't it? I'm not really sure...

And if it's March 2006, I'm going to be pissed! Feb06 please http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Rion772
Nov 10, 2005, 05:04 PM
Maybe better later than sooner for me, I might not have broadband by then. I won't lie, we're super tight on money right now, tight like "Hey can I get this cheap $12 game" replied with "You have money? If not all I gotta say is, BOY ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR DAMN MIND!?". It sucks...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rion772 on 2005-11-15 13:01 ]</font>

PhruitBaskit
Nov 12, 2005, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I guess I can say that too, as of now I don't have broadband either. Later than sooner could be better, but damn, I just want PSU to come out! And I'll bet it sucks...When there's just not enough money growing on the trees out there http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Kano-Okami
Nov 15, 2005, 03:34 PM
I got read the article aswell, so I went to my local gaming store ,EB, to confirm it.
However, when I asked the clerk to bring up the shipment date, he said May 6, and this is from the retailers.
Febuary would be nice optimistic release date but its going to be a May release..if it doesn't get pushed back again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kano-Okami on 2005-11-15 12:45 ]</font>

Rion772
Nov 15, 2005, 04:08 PM
On 2005-11-15 12:34, Kano-Okami wrote:
I got read the article aswell, so I went to my local gaming store ,EB, to confirm it.
However, when I asked the clerk to bring up the shipment date, he said May 6, and this is from the retailers.
Febuary would be nice optimistic release date but its going to be a May release..if it doesn't get pushed back again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kano-Okami on 2005-11-15 12:45 ]</font>

That's a good thing here. It gives me more time to come up with the money for broadband. The release date falls on a saturday in this case, a day AFTER my birthday too. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

F-o-x
Nov 15, 2005, 04:18 PM
Eh I still want a Feb release ><. I'm gonna keep hoping for it until Sonic Team themselves say otherwise http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

OdinTyler
Nov 15, 2005, 04:36 PM
In the past, retail stores have proven time & again that they dont know wtf theyre talking about, ESPECIALLY when it comes to RPGs. If ST says a date, we can go on that. Going on the past, dont expect the announcement of a true release date til the JP version has released. Some of you may disagree with me, but, what I say next is the truth. Retailers, as a whole, HATE RPGs & will say whatever they want, regardless of how we the players might feel. Id trust hearing info from a dev or a fellow player than from some chain store. We know theres a window from Feb to May. That is a pretty big gap & I doubt it would fall between there.
At this point, we can only speculate it to be Feb OR May. Until ST decides to fess up the date, dont be quick to trust what a retailer or even a mag like EGM says.

GaijinPUnch
Nov 15, 2005, 08:31 PM
I talked to a guy on a JPN ship earlier this week. He says he works in a game shop. ON their distribution list, it has the PS2 version has "winter 2005" and the PC version as TBA (that sucks). Wonder where Play Asia is getting their date from?

Rion772
Nov 15, 2005, 08:40 PM
Eh if it comes out in Feb. I'm sure I could pull some money out of thin air to pay for broadband and PSU. I guess it doesn't really matter for me. For some reason I'm not comfortable hearing so little about a game coming out so soon. ST doesn't exactly give us a lot of info each friday.

_Tek_
Nov 15, 2005, 09:36 PM
Are we allowed to show scans of it here? Like the famitsu mags?