PDA

View Full Version : Whats the point?

Sleet2k5
Nov 16, 2005, 12:58 PM
I loved PSO. Probably the best game Ive ever played.... And i would LOVE to play PSU.
But what is the point of buying a soon to be outdated system?? PSU isnt going to come out until what Feburary or something? ( most likely to be pushed WAY back)

PS3 Is coming out soon isnt it?? the Xbox 360 is going to have ALOT of customers... and frankly I dont understand how PSU is going to have any player base... People are going to buy the PS3 or XBox 360 and most people wouldnt buy a PS2 solely for this game....

So I question whether to even continue looking forward to this game.... if it were to come out for the PS3... it would probably be a HUGE hit... like it was for the Dreamcast.

I bought an X Box and X Box live and i NEVEr play it, because X Box games just frankly arent my style... So i question wether to even try and bother with PSU if its going to be on an outdated system

I feel like going to Gamerz and returning my X Box for a Sega Genesis, N64 and Super Nintendo.

Dhylec
Nov 16, 2005, 01:19 PM
Sleet2k5 wrote:
But what is the point of buying a soon to be outdated system?? PSU isnt going to come out until what Feburary or something? ( most likely to be pushed WAY back)

PS3 Is coming out soon isnt it?? the Xbox 360 is going to have ALOT of customers... and frankly I dont understand how PSU is going to have any player base... People are going to buy the PS3 or XBox 360 and most people wouldnt buy a PS2 solely for this game....

So I question whether to even continue looking forward to this game.... if it were to come out for the PS3... it would probably be a HUGE hit... like it was for the Dreamcast.

I bought an X Box and X Box live and i NEVEr play it, because X Box games just frankly arent my style... So i question wether to even try and bother with PSU if its going to be on an outdated system

I feel like going to Gamerz and returning my X Box for a Sega Genesis, N64 and Super Nintendo.

Welcome to the forums..
I think it's a matter of preference. You might not like to see PSU on PS2, but there is the PC version. That is not a 'soon to be outdated system'. In fact I doubt it will ever be. ;]

You seem to miss out a big factor in why Sega choose to release PSU on PS2 & not GC or XB. It's the user base. There are million of PS2 owners out there. If you want more people to play your game, you go to where there are more of them, yes?

Also, I think you contradict yourself when you think a system is outdated just because a new one is coming out soon. Well you want to go back to Genesis & Snes. I guess they aren't outdated. ;D
Oh, don't be alarmed, I still like my old 16bit system, still playable after all these year. ;]

omegabuild
Nov 16, 2005, 01:52 PM
If you make a game for a new system your only giving it a small userbase, not many people buy a new system when it first comes out, it makes more sense, for the purpose of hitting teh largest market to make it come out on ps2 rather than ps3 or xbox which will have a comparably smaller user base at least for awhile. Essentially they arent putting it on ps2 so people will buy a ps2, they are marketing it to those who alreday have a ps2

F-o-x
Nov 16, 2005, 03:17 PM
I agree with omega. I'm one of those people who never buys a console when it forst comes out. I prefer to wait it out to see how each console does (Also for price drops http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) in the market first. I have all the current-gen systems and I bought them all in the last 12-18 months.

Plus I'm not much of a PC gamer. PC games get on my nerves and I just prefer my games on consoles. I would have been pissed if they had put PSU on PS3 or Xbox 360, because I would have to pay big bucks for a system thats just come out. I like the fact that its going to be on PS2 (and like someone else said PC which will never go out of style).

OdinTyler
Nov 16, 2005, 03:19 PM
From what Ive seen, the only new system really getting super hyped is the X360. Sure, ppl are interested in PS3 & the Revolution, but, you dont see the kind of coverage that MS is giving their system. Also, 2 fact have been well established:

1) PSU is on PS2 BECAUSE ppl will continue to play on that system as theyve done for years, regardless of the PS3.

2) PS3 can play PS2 games, just like PS2 can play PS1 games. If one thing Sony is doing right, its getting the license for a series that has had popularity for many years & now, with the new game in the series, will only increase.

Rion772
Nov 16, 2005, 05:21 PM
On 2005-11-16 09:58, Sleet2k5 wrote:
I loved PSO. Probably the best game Ive ever played.... And i would LOVE to play PSU.

It doesn't really matter what we think to ST, what they think DOES matter.

More people have PS2 than the amount of people who ordered one of the new systems anyway. I'm sure ST could've helped sony out by doing that because I'm sure some people here would buy a Xbox 360 just to play this game but that wouldn't be very smart.

ST would lose their fanbase by putting PSU on Xbox 360, a majority of us here who post in PSU General aren't getting an Xbox 360 too. Also a lot of people will be getting PSU for the PC so no matter what PSU would come out on something old. People now even STILL play Dreamcast, N64, and Gameboy Color.

Putting PSU on a different, new system would be a major setback for ST, like I said before, there's way more people with a PS2 right now than the amount of people getting a new system. People on this site have bought a PS2 JUST because PSU is coming out so they could play too.

GaijinPUnch
Nov 16, 2005, 07:53 PM
PS3 and Xbox 360 will not have a userbase anywhere NEAR the size of the PS2 userbase for years. That is why it's on the PS2.

Neith
Nov 16, 2005, 08:00 PM
Not everyone will jump ship to a PS3 on release. There will still be a lot of PS2 players around. You can't just abandon a massive userbase once your latest piece of kit is released.

If you remember, many companies continued making PSX/PS1 games for a while after the PS2 was released, since it cost a fortune to begin with.... Once the price came down, and people started buying the PS2, the number of new PSX games fell drastically.

The same kind of thing will likely happen with the PS3- just remember that PS2 games are playable on a PS3 http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Rion772
Nov 16, 2005, 08:37 PM
On 2005-11-16 17:00, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Not everyone will jump ship to a PS3 on release. There will still be a lot of PS2 players around. You can't just abandon a massive userbase once your latest piece of kit is released.

If you remember, many companies continued making PSX/PS1 games for a while after the PS2 was released, since it cost a fortune to begin with.... Once the price came down, and people started buying the PS2, the number of new PSX games fell drastically.

The same kind of thing will likely happen with the PS3- just remember that PS2 games are playable on a PS3 http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I agree, like I said earlier the PS2 fanbase will pwn the Xbox360 fanbase for some time. My dad has about 400 games, spread out through PS2, PS1, GC, and PC. Basically they're losing him because he gave me, you can qoute me on my qoute un-qoute, he said "I'm not wasting my money on that damn thing...too fu(!<ing expensive for me..."

This means a lot of people won't be getting Xbox360, I've been talking about it with my friends in school in our art class (I hate art class, at school atleast...so ridiculous) and my friend Jim already got the $400 pre-order thing. I said he was an idiot because when new systems come out they too tend to have a few bugs that need to be worked out and it's going to cause him a few extra trips or something. My friend Tyler Q. said hell no to Xbox 360, he plays games a lot too.

Point is it was a very wise decision for ST to make PSU for PS2, they'll make a much larger profit.

_Tek_
Nov 17, 2005, 02:31 AM
yes ps2, the system with the HUGEST owner base, is outdated.

Did I mention it has the hugest owner base? Well taht doesn't matter anyways, since pc and ps2 will surely be connected.

and pc is the best gaming system, ever. PSU will be fine.

Sega and ST better make the merged community happen, or else that ps2 community might not do so spectacular.

as for xbox360, its dead in japan from what I hear, but I recall ST hoping to get something to their X-fans in the US. That wouldn't wait a whole year to port it would they? (they would wouldn't they...)

N-revolution is too far off to tell yet I guess, way longer to predict any psu action on it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Tek_ on 2005-11-16 23:45 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Nov 17, 2005, 10:03 AM
Why are you guys still wondering if PSU is gonna be on a next gen system? We covered this already! Its on PS2 & eventually, PC. Accept it. No word on if it will be on next gen. Accept it. From a PSOW poster standpoint, this topic needs to be locked. Just my opinion.

_Tek_
Nov 18, 2005, 03:05 AM
Yeah and we've not enough evidence to speculate better what future systems it will be on but keep this in mind: PSO wen through several version, PSU will probably be the same.

Rion772
Nov 18, 2005, 01:27 PM
On 2005-11-18 00:05, _Tek_ wrote:
Yeah and we've not enough evidence to speculate better what future systems it will be on but keep this in mind: PSO wen through several version, PSU will probably be the same.

Atleast we hope it will be the same...

Kent
Nov 18, 2005, 03:44 PM
Okay, here's the thing...

It's on PS2 and PC. Don't like that? Tough, stop complaining. It was stated by Sonic Team, that if they do put it on another system, it'll be on the Xbox 360.

As stated above, PS2 has probably the largest userbase of this generation, and all of its games will be playable on the PS3, when people get that. That's one reason it's going to be a PS2 game, and not a PS3 game, the other reason... Surely, you must've seen all the stuff Sony's been up to lately. All it's done is alienate consumers, they're basically digging their own grave...

OdinTyler
Nov 18, 2005, 09:05 PM
On 2005-11-18 12:44, Kent wrote:

It's on PS2 and PC. Don't like that? Tough, stop complaining. It was stated by Sonic Team, that if they do put it on another system, it'll be on the Xbox 360.

As stated above, PS2 has probably the largest userbase of this generation, and all of its games will be playable on the PS3, when people get that. That's one reason it's going to be a PS2 game, and not a PS3 game, the other reason... Surely, you must've seen all the stuff Sony's been up to lately. All it's done is alienate consumers, they're basically digging their own grave...

Kent, I think you & I are the only ones paying attention on here. Everyone else keeps repeating the same what ifs. Im a patient man, but, its REALLY getting old...

Blackwaltz-R
Nov 19, 2005, 02:06 AM
It can;t be helped when their are those who don;t bother to keep up with the industry but SOny stated that suppsort for the PS2 would continue even after the launch of the PS3. PS3 will be expensive and they can;t expect people to jump right on and leave a large user base high and dry, not like past generations. We can expect more PS2 and GC games to release into 2k7 if not further. Some companies are pretty much have no choice but to stick to past formats do to budget constraints, some will even release games for both this gen and next gen.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 19, 2005, 06:42 AM
On 2005-11-18 18:05, OdinTyler wrote:

On 2005-11-18 12:44, Kent wrote:

Kent, I think you & I are the only ones paying attention on here. Everyone else keeps repeating the same what ifs. Im a patient man, but, its REALLY getting old...

Its like some people have never seen a console launch before EVER. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Or they did not remember the launches of the current gen systems and what transpired in the years following their releases.

And then furthermore some think they can complain to ST long enough for them to get their demands met, which is very unlikely knowing their track record, but all the BB complaining might have made people ignore that facet of it.

As long as PSU does not have something somebody wants, they will complain about it.

And don't even get me started about how people complain about what a (console)game should have, many many years after its released. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

OdinTyler
Nov 19, 2005, 09:57 AM
Im a bit confused. Were you just agreeing with Kent & I? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif