PDA

View Full Version : This week's update.. [ New 'Battle' Movie! / PSU a success a

Lovejuice
Nov 18, 2005, 06:43 AM
Well it's friday, again. Oh, don't these weeks just fly on by recently? And so, it's time for another update on phantasystaruniverse.com!

Sega have been quite good to us of late, and the lovely little featurettes on PSU continue - this week with a movie on the 'Battle of Phantasy Star Universe'! Yes, that which we will all be ploughing endless hours into like zombies - the fight!

The video is located in the 'movie' section, shockingly, or you can view it directly at:

http://sega.jp/asx/pr/psu_pr3_bb.asx

Which then leads to the media stream at..

http://dca.pod.tv/sega/free/pr/psu_pr3_bb.wmv (or)
http://dom.pod.tv/sega/free/pr/psu_pr3_bb.wmv (or)
rtsp://dca.pod.tv/sega/free/pr/psu_pr3_bb.wmv

edit: snip

Funnily enough, the video worked for myself once, and only once, this week, and then failed indefinetely. However I'm sure a few dozen folks will struggle also (you will need to have UDP enabled on your router and stuff), so hopefully some nice person can capture and deliver the stream to us all. It's a charming little diatribe on the fighting of PSU, showcasing Ethan smacking things with a few Photon Arts, and some more nice music (also, could that be PSU's version of the Hildetorr?).

It would also appear that following PSU's appearance at the Gaming Japan Festival on the 12th and 13th in Osaka, the game went down a brilliant success! Sega would like to bow and thank them all for their attendance! You can view the little quip in the 'topics' section.

edit: snip

Look at those Japanese people turning out in droves! Anything for a free lunch!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lovejuice on 2005-11-18 03:44 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lovejuice on 2006-12-18 16:25 ]</font>

Ryna
Nov 18, 2005, 09:31 AM
If anyone is having trouble viewing the video, be sure to check out the download link from the news story on the front page.

DarK-SuN
Nov 18, 2005, 10:14 AM
For those with a keen eye, go to 1:20/1:24 of the movie and check it out, it shows Ethan wielding a "large axe" weapon (it's not a Sword with a diferent model either, the weapon icon is diferent from the sword category icon), leading us to believe this is yet another unveiled weapon category of PSU.

vox3om
Nov 18, 2005, 11:44 AM
Anyone have a working link for the last video that was put out on the website? I never got to watch that one.

Ryna
Nov 18, 2005, 11:55 AM
On 2005-11-18 08:44, vox3om wrote:
Anyone have a working link for the last video that was put out on the website? I never got to watch that one.

If you look at the news post on the front page for that update, you will come across this link:

http://www.pso-world.com/downloads/psu/trailers/psu-nov112005-movie.zip

Lovejuice
Nov 18, 2005, 12:19 PM
There's quite a few interesting things if you look a bit closer at this video, most notably, something that may be potentially spoileriffic if you think of the possibilities of what, or better yet, who, it might be (linked below)..

[ edit: snip ]

That.. er.. it couldn't be.. could it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lovejuice on 2006-12-18 16:29 ]</font>

Rion772
Nov 18, 2005, 12:52 PM
I'm downloading it now http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

19%...so slow...

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Nov 18, 2005, 01:32 PM
On 2005-11-18 09:19, Lovejuice wrote:
There's quite a few interesting things if you look a bit closer at this video, most notably, something that may be potentially spoileriffic if you think of the possibilities of what, or better yet, who, it might be (linked below)..

[ Evolution? (http://revlimitfunk.org/psu/psow/saywhatnow.jpg) ]

That.. er.. it couldn't be.. could it?

Yea, I thought I saw that my first time watching it too! O_O
I wasn't sure if thats what it was, but the screens prove it

F-o-x
Nov 18, 2005, 01:34 PM
It looks like that android villan (in true RPG fashion) has "evolved" into a hideous demon creature http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Rion772
Nov 18, 2005, 01:46 PM
On 2005-11-18 10:34, F-o-x wrote:
It looks like that android villan (in true RPG fashion) has "evolved" into a hideous demon creature http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Haha, I agree. Why is it the stupid villain get's to change though...

Finally the video has reached 100%, I'm going to go watch it, later.

Alisha
Nov 18, 2005, 03:23 PM
im having a problem with this video..
i see the dragon flying then the video locks up up but the audio keeps going. maybee the download is corrupted because the connection kept timing out

Ryna
Nov 18, 2005, 04:29 PM
On 2005-11-18 12:23, Alisha wrote:
im having a problem with this video..
i see the dragon flying then the video locks up up but the audio keeps going. maybee the download is corrupted because the connection kept timing out

I just downloaded the copy off the front page and it is working fine for me. If the download was corrupt, you wouldn't be unable to extract the AVI from the zip file. As such, I think it is a problem with your media player.

Parn
Nov 18, 2005, 05:33 PM
Alisha, the problem is related to your version of the Directshow DivX decompressor in your computer. Probably need to update it.

Curious though, PSOWorld staffers... why bother re-encoding the file? Why not just post an archived version of the video stream by capturing it with SDP or ASFRecorder? The original version of last week's video is 11.3 megs while PSOWorld's re-encoding is 18.6 megs zipped with noticably lower audio and video clarity, and there's consistent stuttering every few seconds with the video. Also, by using non-Microsoft supported codecs like DivX, you're forcing your readers to go out of their way to download appropriate software if they don't have it already.

If you just archived the stream, zipped it up and uploaded it for user download, you'd save bandwidth, you'd give users the video in its original quality, and they wouldn't have to download extra software. It's easier to do than re-encoding a video anyways.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2005-11-18 14:36 ]</font>

Ryna
Nov 18, 2005, 05:49 PM
On 2005-11-18 14:33, Parn wrote:
*snip Parn's insightful post*

I've tried capturing the video stream using the tools you suggested, but they haven't worked for me. I've tried changing the configurations on SPD, but I just cannot get it to work. ASFRecorder always stop at 99% for me and I end up with an unviewable file. I would very much like to use the original versions, so if you can suggest another means by which to obtain them, I would like to know.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2005-11-18 15:36 ]</font>

Parn
Nov 18, 2005, 08:09 PM
Hmm... have you tried using the different URLs that Lovejuice listed? I noticed one problem with SDP, is that it doesn't try to use all the URLs listed in the ASX file... it only uses the one you specify, and by default, it's the first one in the list. For whatever reason though, the first URL it tries to list is "http://sega.jp/</author>" which is nonsensical and leads to nowhere.

The dropdown box at the bottom lists the other two possible URLs, though I seem to have random times when I can connect. For instance, right now, I cannot connect, not even with Windows Media Player. I can't understand why I get the occasional "File not found" error... doesn't make any sense to me, bleh.

Ryna
Nov 18, 2005, 08:26 PM
On 2005-11-18 17:09, Parn wrote:
Hmm... have you tried using the different URLs that Lovejuice listed? I noticed one problem with SDP, is that it doesn't try to use all the URLs listed in the ASX file... it only uses the one you specify, and by default, it's the first one in the list. For whatever reason though, the first URL it tries to list is "http://sega.jp/</author>" which is nonsensical and leads to nowhere.

I've tried all the URLs that LoveJuice provided. I usually just get "cannot connect" errors.

Parn
Nov 18, 2005, 08:33 PM
Heh, sadly, all other software I can think of as an alternative costs money. Ah well, that's how things go I guess.

Ryna
Nov 18, 2005, 08:35 PM
On 2005-11-18 17:33, Parn wrote:
Heh, sadly, all other software I can think of as an alternative costs money. Ah well, that's how things go I guess.

Would it be possible for someone else to obtain the streams? I would really like to replace our current crop of movies with the originals.

Parn
Nov 18, 2005, 11:12 PM
Your wish is my command (http://synbios.net/games/PSU/videos/). Thanks go to a good friend of mine for the latest two.

Ryna
Nov 18, 2005, 11:33 PM
On 2005-11-18 20:12, Parn wrote:
Your wish is my command (http://synbios.net/games/PSU/videos/). Thanks go to a good friend of mine for the latest two.

Thanks for the files. I updated the videos for the last couple of news updates.

Off Topic: It is extremely amusing to watch the 2004 TGS video now.

_Tek_
Nov 19, 2005, 01:41 AM
I've always had trouble downloading the vids uploaded through psow. I need a download manager last time, and since the download would simply die.

But thanks for that alternate upload of teh movies, I was able to download those.

<watches all 5>

Wow, this game is going to be where I live for quite a while, lol.

I love how it looked much more like an action game, more so than pso did.

I love the weapon specials:
-the spinning spear atttack made teh camera rotate around you.
-the air spear multi stab attack was also insane
-the cartwheel of teh claw is still in there but so much cooler looking.
-lol yes the knuckle weapons turns into a rocket attack. They sot off, flew around, and reatached, lol great.
-I also noticed that large axe like weapon, very cool. It seemed to be a blade attached to some kind of "ladder" shap.

Also, that mutant looks like magashi(I can't remember the name exactly) fused with SEED.

This is blow away pso I think. So much more in every category.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Tek_ on 2005-11-18 23:08 ]</font>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 19, 2005, 06:57 AM
It looks like some enemies don't even stand a chance against your attacks. Well at least until you run out of PP to use the souped up atttacks, no? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Seriously in the video, probably purposely, the enemies are meatbags who stand perfectly still for the most part.

I haven't seen any other videos or have seen the enemies attacking or moving around more. It was probably to just show off the eye candy, perhaps on a lower difficulty level.

Off Topic question:
Are the same difficulty levels being retained for this game?

OdinTyler
Nov 19, 2005, 09:55 AM
Parn, you really helped me out there. I managed to get the 2 videos working that I couldnt. I nominate you to be the official vid streamer for PSOW. Need a team/guild? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif At least I got your files working (& MUCH smaller too). The others I maybe got 1 or 2 in the past & that wasnt easy. Why is it becoming harder to view files? At least in the past I could understand why. I update & it still wont work? That makes NO sense! Thanks again. Keep it up. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rubesahl
Nov 19, 2005, 02:52 PM
I honestly crapped my pants with this video. I just loved the moves! Even my sister got excited and wants the game when its out! -drools- I want my jpn release date NOW >.__.<

_Tek_
Nov 19, 2005, 05:08 PM
I've already gotten over that anticipation feeling, that started from last year, but I still want the game.

You gotta jsut block it out of your mind until its released, or you'll go crazy.

Ryna
Nov 19, 2005, 07:53 PM
The only downside I saw to the video was the generic shadow effects. Every character/monster had an oval-shaped shadow. I hope there will be some way to change that on the PC version.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2005-11-19 17:46 ]</font>

Tomeeboy
Nov 19, 2005, 08:06 PM
I'm almost positive that the shadows will get better, considering they have more accurate shadows in Blue Burst.

Delsaber
Nov 19, 2005, 09:37 PM
Wow, the game looks amazing. I hope it plays as good as it looks.

Para
Nov 19, 2005, 09:40 PM
i think this video sold me to psu http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Luce
Nov 19, 2005, 11:01 PM
windows media just straight up wont play it

nevermind after millions upon millions of times trying to save and play I got it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Luce on 2005-11-19 20:10 ]</font>

So... beautiful...... *tear

no seriously my eyes are a little watery

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Luce on 2005-11-19 20:15 ]</font>

Ryna
Nov 20, 2005, 03:25 PM
Does anyone want to speculate what the green, yellow, and grey bars besides Ethan's avatar are? The green one seems to be HP.

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Nov 20, 2005, 03:40 PM
On 2005-11-20 12:25, Ryna wrote:
Does anyone want to speculate what the green, yellow, and grey bars besides Ethan's avatar are? The green one seems to be HP.

I think the "grey" is just part of the backdrop that the bars are on top of.... Green, is most def HP, yellow.... I have no clue.... I'd say TP, but we arent even sure if there will be TP are we?

Lovejuice
Nov 20, 2005, 04:37 PM
The yellow one is a strange one, it's been a bit hard to work out from the videos we've seen. The most obvious guesses are either EXP to next level, or some kind of 'charge up' meter for special abilities.

Hmm! Right, I was going to post something of how it might be related to Photon Arts, but I think that's nonsense after taking another look at the DigitalLife gameplay videos linked in the depths of this forum. The yellow bar seemed to increase and flash quickly on the defeat of an enemy (through your hits/magic), taking the brunt of a 'critical' attack - much like in PSO, where it both inflicts damage and knocks you down - and occasionally bumped up a bit when Ethan took regular damage.

Now, doesn't that sound like another charge up method for something we've all fed and loved? This would seem like the most obvious way to charge up the SUV attack for Casts, and Nanoblast for the Beast men and women. What the bar does when it's full however, for Humans and Newmans, now that'll be something to see..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lovejuice on 2005-11-20 13:39 ]</font>

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Nov 20, 2005, 07:56 PM
On 2005-11-20 13:37, Lovejuice wrote:
The yellow one is a strange one, it's been a bit hard to work out from the videos we've seen. The most obvious guesses are either EXP to next level, or some kind of 'charge up' meter for special abilities.

Hmm! Right, I was going to post something of how it might be related to Photon Arts, but I think that's nonsense after taking another look at the DigitalLife gameplay videos linked in the depths of this forum. The yellow bar seemed to increase and flash quickly on the defeat of an enemy (through your hits/magic), taking the brunt of a 'critical' attack - much like in PSO, where it both inflicts damage and knocks you down - and occasionally bumped up a bit when Ethan took regular damage.

Now, doesn't that sound like another charge up method for something we've all fed and loved? This would seem like the most obvious way to charge up the SUV attack for Casts, and Nanoblast for the Beast men and women. What the bar does when it's full however, for Humans and Newmans, now that'll be something to see..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lovejuice on 2005-11-20 13:39 ]</font>

very interesting =x
I never thought about that. If it charges when ethan gets hit, then it cant be exp, so perhaps the latter. But I thought I heard that the Nanoblast and the SUV attack worked on a time basis...

Shade-
Nov 20, 2005, 08:32 PM
At first I too figured it was a sort of 'charge up' meter, but after paying a little more attention....

Look at second 1:50 of the 05 TGS trailer hosted in this thread. he makes the kill, getting experience, but he also levels up, at the same time, the yellow bar DROPS, as if it is the "exp to next" bar. Although, this then would make it seem like you get experience when you get hit, which is not a very good reinforcer for avoiding damage. Just an obervation i guess, I don't know what I think it is either at this point.

Lovejuice
Nov 20, 2005, 09:17 PM
Hmm! Very interesting! More intrigue!

Strangely though, going on the 'EXP to next level' theory, the bar doesn't decrease a great deal. Although, the monster he kills appears to give a high amount of EXP (like, 500-600ish), so one way of making the slight decrease plausible is that the yellow bar remaining is the EXP required for the next level after the one just gained (some of the EXP was gained at the same instant, overlapping). Also, the bar is capable of extending much further than it currently is at the stage of the level upping, unless the monster just pushed Ethan over that huge space left and into the next one.

Here's some pictures from the TGS movie in question, before and after, to have a look at. I'm guessing the big yellow thing that emerges from Ethan is the level up 'ding', unless it's something new we're yet to see altogether. It's not on screen for more than a split second, though.

[ edit: snip ]

OK, well the HP increase is pretty much a given, along with the full heal Ethan gets from the level up. How this bar then works in with the thing seen in the other videos where upon being hit, it raised ever so slightly, god knows. On the other hand, I guess if it still is something chargeable, there may be some of kind of curve whereby higher level = lesser usage, or maybe Ethan's started to do some special human trait. Yellow Bar trade off for HP? Special super attack he was about to launch that got cut a split-second too late by the Sega media people? Maybe it's just a development bug? Lovejuice looking far too much into something so trivial?

Go-Go Gadget Speculation!

---------

EDIT: OK, right. I'm going to take back eeeeverything I said about the chargeup meter, and join the 'EXP to next' club. I've been scouring the DigitalLife videos until my retinas bleed, and the 'increase' of the bar witnessed was nothing more than my eyes playing tricks on me.

What's happening is that upon Ethan getting hit, the bar is just literally flashing to represent the hit, along with the other visual shake of the avatar hub. Much in the way PSO's little hub with your name and HP shook upon being struck. It's not physically growing, just due to the nature of the shake and flash, along with the shaking of the videos in question, it appeared to grow. Evil visual trickery! After watching it over and over (and over), I'm pretty confident that it is infact not moving at all (until things died, then it leapt into action)! Also, in the Relics video, Ethan fights the same monster twice over, the first giving 100-200 EXP, the second giving 200+. The varying growth in the bar is evident. So I think I shall be sticking to EXP!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lovejuice on 2005-11-20 18:38 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lovejuice on 2006-12-18 16:29 ]</font>

Ryna
Nov 21, 2005, 11:44 AM
After looking at the videos again, I would have to agree that the yellow bar is used to denote EXP. That makes me wonder how Nanoblast and SUV-Weapons are going to work though. Will they be PP based?

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Nov 21, 2005, 01:31 PM
Maybe I'm slow to notice this, but has anyone ever pointed out that the enemies now have levels? Next to their names when they are targeted it says LVL #
I also noticed that some of the enemies that seemed to have lower AI were at lvl 0, while enemies that attacked were up to level 26. The dragon didnt seem to have a level though.

Shade-
Nov 21, 2005, 02:09 PM
On 2005-11-21 10:31, Non-Toxic-Crayons wrote:
Maybe I'm slow to notice this, but has anyone ever pointed out that the enemies now have levels? Next to their names when they are targeted it says LVL #
I also noticed that some of the enemies that seemed to have lower AI were at lvl 0, while enemies that attacked were up to level 26. The dragon didnt seem to have a level though.

I didn't look, but that is a very good observation assuming it's true. That would explain why in the vids, some enemies just stand there waiting to get the crap beat out of them.

Rubesahl
Nov 21, 2005, 04:41 PM
Tsk tsk, hasn't annyone noticed the fan service moment that's in the video... The designated sexy female with glasses (forgot her name) appears in one scene and her breasts go 'boing' from just leaning a bit lol. I swear they just keep breaking the laws of physics with boobs XD Nobody beats DOA though >_>;;

As for the thing about the shadows, I'm leaning towards the possibility of the PC version having the option for detailed shadows. Even though the video of the dragon fight that was played on a PC didn't have it, I think it'll have the option in the end. I remember the early PSO ep 1 & 2 screens in the beginning always had oval shadows...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rubesahl on 2005-11-21 13:59 ]</font>

Shade-
Nov 21, 2005, 06:00 PM
On 2005-11-21 13:41, Rubesahl wrote:
Tsk tsk, hasn't annyone noticed the fan service moment that's in the video... The designated sexy female with glasses (forgot her name) appears in one scene and her breasts go 'boing' from just leaning a bit lol. I swear they just keep breaking the laws of physics with boobs XD Nobody beats DOA though >_>;;

*snip*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rubesahl on 2005-11-21 13:59 ]</font>

Actually, in the "What do you think about the new weapons" I pointed that out. XD