PDA

View Full Version : TV Networks - the new contradictions

Dek
Nov 19, 2005, 12:37 AM
Sure, we know Cartoon Network overplays a few of there shows and aren't known for having good stuff. However, this new thing just crosses the line...

- Saturday night, Toonami airs Batman, as in "the live movie" Batman with Michael Keaton
- Sunday night, Cartoon Network plans to air "The Goonies."

Something inside me just makes me want to tazer the guy who thought of this while he was in his office...

No really. When you see the words "Cartoon Network," you should be thinking inside your head "Hey! This is a station dedicated to airing cartoons. Sure, I might not like a few, but they'll keep to their title, right?"

Wrong http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Another example I have is of G4TV. Again, one would think "Hey! This is a station dedicated to airing shows about video games, right?"

Wrong http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

It now has Fastlane (pretty shitty show, IMO), shows about cars, and The Man Show...

Right now, I'm remembered of something comedian Lewis Black said...

If someone wasn't that stupid...If there was a loving god up there, I would not see a Starbucks right behind me. And you turn around...AND THERE'S A STARBUCKS!!!

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 19, 2005, 01:31 AM
Yes well, MTV has always been the trend-setter, hasn't it?

Sayara
Nov 19, 2005, 10:33 AM
I was laughing to see Roger Rabbit on CN.

I mean seriously, that is NOT a movie for kids to watch by themselves! (Well the little guys at least, it was on during the time younger kids watch tv too!)
I guess Batman is a cartoon also... *Shrug*

Don;t forget Small Soldiers!

Scejntjynahl
Nov 19, 2005, 10:40 AM
They are trying to widen the Targe Audience is all. Frankly there are not that many cartoons they CAN show to begin with. And people have been complaining about rerun hell they go through. But... in essense... CN is ABOUT reruns. So yeah they are going to be showing "live" versions of movies, but at least they are trying to keep it within the genre of animated stories. I would be more worried when they shove "Steel Magnolias" down our throats (or yet another Land Before Time movie . . . ugh)

Blitzkommando
Nov 19, 2005, 12:51 PM
Ehehe, remember that episode of the Simpsons where Marge goes on a crusade to end TV violence? Yeah, well, people like that do exist. And a number of them are exremely influential people, Senators, Governors, Representatives, et cetera. And, sometimes, they are right. Some shows are not meant for kids. Shows like South Park, many of the more adult anime shows, and much of what is shown on Comedy Central. Cartoons are one of the more adult forms of entertainment, they always have been. Look back at Bugs Bunny in the early 40s though mid 50s especially, it was a purely political cartoon. It was just something that was not shown to kids then. Now instead of cute, wisecracking bunnies, we have poorly drawn, very stylized children doing the same thing. You see, you can show things in cartoons that you simply cannot even dream of showing with live action shows. "Tom" and "Jerry"? Another perfect example of a politically motivated cartoon. You just have to know the terminology of the time of which it was made.

So, what am I getting at? Well, there are very few 'family friendly' cartoons in the world. Most of which were not considered family friendly when they first appeared. They were the sitcoms and soaps of the day but now that the 'political situation' has changed since then they are simply a good 'family friendly' laugh. So, really, it is amazing that Cartoon Network has been up as long as it has with such a limited library. Afterall, the target audience is young kids between 9 and probably 15 or so. Obviously, Dora would not work, and neither would things like Ranma as one is too childish and the other (while acceptable in Japan) is too adult for the US. That's why CN has bastardized so many 'good' shows, because their hands are tied and they have to, to make the parents happy. So, the only time they can show even slightly 'adult' shows is much later, as in, 10PM to about 5AM, which is the 'adult' part of programming on most channels.

While I do agree that it is supposed to be a "Cartoon" Network, showing a few 'live action' movies every once in a while is not necessarily a bad thing. I mean, at least the Goonies is one of them as that was an awesome movie. And Batman, like said above, is a comic-based movie, so I can understand how it fits in the genre. They are simply trying to get higher ratings, which is what every television station wants, as it means more money. I hope that explains as to why programs are selected and why only those programs are selected that fit certain criteria.