PDA

View Full Version : This game can't be compared to PSO anymore...

therealAERO
Nov 19, 2005, 02:20 AM
After seeing that new battle video and seeing all the new attacks, combos, etc. I would say comparing this to PSO would be blasphemist(real word...who knows) I would compare this along the lines of Kingdom Hearts II now. What are your guys thoughts?

_Tek_
Nov 19, 2005, 02:23 AM
PSU is certainly quite the improvement from PSO.

OdinTyler
Nov 19, 2005, 09:41 AM
The word is blasphemous & it is as such to compare this or any Sega game to Kingdom Hearts. Kingdom Hearts cannot compare to this. Just consider PSU as the next great game in a series thats gone into a 3rd decade now. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

therealAERO
Nov 19, 2005, 03:39 PM
Wow...my lack of school is evident. Mist??? I haven't made the mous, mist swap since I was like in 1st grade. ...I feel like an idiot now.

Ryna
Nov 19, 2005, 07:10 PM
You can think of PSU as being the unofficial sequel to PSO. This is best seen with the battle system. On PSO, you have your player status bar, radar, and action palette (all of which are seen on PSU). You will be able to perform basic 3-step attack combinations on PSU and follow them up with photon arts. From everything I've read so far, the Photon Arts system is just a reworking of PSO weapon specials. Instead of being able to spam specials indefinitely on PSO (think Frozen Shooter), Photon Arts will cost PP on PSU. It is likely that Photon Arts will be more effective than PSO special attacks since it costs PP points to launch an attack. Let's also not forget that most of the weapons we have seen are based on existing PSO weapon types (Dagger, Saber, Sword, Handgun, Double Saber, etc....)

Additionally, it isn't that much of a leap to go from PSO's item equipping setup to the dual-wielding system in PSU. Having the ability to equip a couple of small weapons at the same time will certainly spice up gameplay.

Finally, we have the evolution of the grinding system. Instead of simply adding ATP now, grinding may have other side-effects on the weapon. Throw in the element of getting a useless weapon from grinding and it is something you will have to consider more carefully in hte future.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2005-11-19 16:47 ]</font>

Lovejuice
Nov 19, 2005, 07:48 PM
Aside from the obvious cosmetic and 'quality of life' (lobbies-meet-MMO, severe customisation, those little things that make life easier and generally more pleasant) upgrades, the one thing that has the potential to most offset PSU from PSO, I feel, is the new-found faster and fluid movement everyone seems to have, over the bulky, clunky, and limited, hero movements of PSO.

With a finally realised strafe/dodge system, mashed with the new auto-running, it seems that this next step in the series seems totally glad to throw thousands of things in your face (as evident by the DigitalLife videos of the Ruins and that), requiring you to think with a more agile mentality, over the "CHARRRGEE!" of PSO - where all you really had to worry about was getting your combo in, and then taking a step to avoid the retaliation (with perhaps the odd one or two enemies permitting, Belras and Chaos Bringers come to mind). Looking at the latest 'Battle' video, it also appears that grounded enemies are a bit more mobile, too, thankfully. Look at those mechanical-turtle things at around 1:10, do they actually appear to strafe? Well sure, Ethan is mid locked-on Photon Art, so he hits them anyway, but the possibilities of this are quite nice to think of, especially if they are able to break the 'range' of such attacks. What's planned to happen with legions of flying enemies zooming at you will be quite a spectacle to see, especially versus unprepared adventurers. I want projectiles and everything being hurled around!

There's also a moment at around 1:03, where Ethan already having started a Photon Art, has some almost Beast type character leaping at him to attack. Here's hoping that PAs are interruptible to a degree, meaning you have to actually consider just how much mobility the use of a Photon Art is going to take away from yourself, before smacking at it (and it would be nice to alleviate some HIT TRIANGLE AND WIN! vibes). Of course, this works both ways, because if you notice further, Ethan actually dodges the oncoming attack thanks to the movement of the Photon Art - lifting him to the side and above the strike (unless using a PA just makes you impervious to such.. which would be silly!).

I just hope that the whole enhanced mobility deal leads to more evasive and glorified-epic actions during the regular battles, bringing a bit of the sensation that was dodging De Rol's tentacles and rocks, Vol Opt's smashy-smash-smash bits, or Olga Flow's big green thing and Heaven's Punisher blasts to the regular grind. Especially now that everything is much faster and fluid. I want a constant drama-stage!

PhruitBaskit
Nov 22, 2005, 09:07 PM
I really don't see why you can't compare PSO and PSU, they're both Phantasy Star games and as far as PS games go, PSU is the only new game since PSO...

Rion772
Nov 22, 2005, 09:42 PM
You're really off here. They are very comparable. The real differences aren't in battle mode either, the new battle styles and stuff are just improvements of the old system or complete changes. The backround however, meaning the place it takes place at is a lot different. It's also a lot bigger, in comparison PSO is much smaller. There's also some old PSO monsters in the too, like the ever so popular Rag Rappy.

Sharkyland
Nov 22, 2005, 10:53 PM
More buttons, more features... new system, new features...

How is it compare to PSO? Hmm, story. Millenium thingie, except this time it's the end for sure.

therealAERO
Nov 23, 2005, 07:09 AM
There is a Rag rappy?????

Fossil
Nov 23, 2005, 07:50 AM
I'm just hoping most of the footage they've shown so far is offline and not online.

Rion772
Nov 23, 2005, 09:30 AM
On 2005-11-23 04:09, therealAERO wrote:
There is a Rag rappy?????

http://games.kikizo.com/features/sega_sonicteam_psu_iv_oct05_p1.asp

I think it's mentioned in there, it's kind of old news though.

This game CAN be compared to PSO sharky, it's combo style is based off of PSO's. Same style weapons, just new colors. Some of the same types of classes, but with new names. Same futuristic style, just more in the future now. Some of the same item names, and enemy names. It just has A LOT of new content and anything taken from PSO has been used but just added onto and improved.

OdinTyler
Nov 23, 2005, 09:31 AM
Why would you say that Fossil? Is that good or bad? Besides, 90% of the pics & vids we've seen do show Ethan & crew, so, its definitely offline stuff. Only things we've seen online pertain to char creation. The media we've seen just show what chars can do in the game, regardless of you being offline or online. You know sooner or later, theyre gonna show the usual online test chars of SONIC, TAILS, KNUCKLES, & AMY. LOL