PDA

View Full Version : hairstyles

Skuda
Nov 20, 2005, 03:07 AM
does anyone know the number of hairstyles that will be accessable to each gender?

Tomeeboy
Nov 20, 2005, 03:17 AM
I'm sure there are different hairstyles for every character class, so that could be a hard question to answer http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Lovejuice
Nov 20, 2005, 07:49 AM
Judging from the 'Network of..' (http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=7714) video on Gametrailers, from TGS '05, it looked like there were 16 types of hairstyle available for your male/female human questers. I'm guessing that at that stage of development, it was probably similar for all classes (well, bar Casts), seeing as how looking at the char generator of then, the 'base' for all male/females was practically identical (bar Casts, again), with the exception of ears and other lovely little features.

I guess we'll see individual styles per race in the way of clothes and stuff, but with 16 styles as a base, it can only go up from there! Heck, looking at that video, there were more 'eyebrow' options, 19 infact, than hairstyles, oh what fun character creation will be!

OdinTyler
Nov 20, 2005, 01:08 PM
Agreed. Its going to take at least double the time to make a PSU char. Oh the frustrating fun experience of creating a char, trying to delve into all the possibilities. LOL I cant wait. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Kano-Okami
Nov 20, 2005, 02:47 PM
I hope they have dreadlocks this time around.

Skuda
Nov 20, 2005, 03:03 PM
ST should have done better than 16...

even in PSO, there is a large assortment of hairstyles for each class.

now it'll likely be 16 for the males to share, and another 16 for the females...

I'm worried that PSU isn't going to have any hairstyles I'll like...

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Nov 20, 2005, 03:43 PM
I'm kinda worried about that too.... But I'm not as much concerned with not having a hairstyle I like, but more so that there will be very little variety from character to character, especially since hair is one of the most distinguishing features. If all the non-cast races have the same small selection of hairstyles... Then it might be very hard to get your character to look unique. ><

Kupi
Nov 20, 2005, 05:15 PM
Oh, come on. 16 hairstyles is close to double what was available for any individual character in PSO, which will be on top of all the possible options for other clothing. And while facial features may seem insignificant, don't forget about cut-in chat. I suspect that cut-in chat is going to make what your character's face looks like much more important than it was in PSO.

PSU already has plenty to make a unique-looking character, I think. At least as far as online games go. Seriously, look at Guild Wars (the only other online game I have enough experience with to make a comparison). You get maybe ten preset faces, eight to twelve hairstyles, and some preset hair colors, and around five styles of armor per class. In PSU, you get the aforementioned 16 hair styles, who knows how many options for clothing, hair and eye color on palettes, control over character proportions (Guild Wars just has a single slider-bar for height)... no contest. PSU will very likely have the best character customization known to online gaming, and you're afraid you won't be able to make something you like?

Luce
Nov 20, 2005, 06:07 PM
they should have like a hair styling simulator to where u could grab pieces of hair and move it around and grow it and cut it

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Nov 20, 2005, 07:47 PM
Im just saying, In pso each character had 10 hairstyles... But from what I've seen of the character create for PSU, there may only be 16 for each gender SHARED between each race, making for a total of ALOT less hairstyles... Of course that's subject to change. ST may and probably will add more, and they'll probably make individual styles for each race in the final version. I'm just expressing silly worries is all.

Kent
Nov 21, 2005, 07:30 AM
But in PSO, a lot of hairstyles entailed headgear (hats, bandanas, headbands, glasses, etc.) as well. You may be able to add this separately in PSU (I'm not too sure, but it would be nice...).

In the network video, there is a female human (I think) wearing glasses in the cut-in chat. I just hope that's not part of the hairstyle...

Skuda
Nov 21, 2005, 10:06 AM
I'd personally love a separate section for accessories.

Shade-
Nov 21, 2005, 10:22 AM
On 2005-11-21 07:06, Scott_Kuda wrote:
I'd personally love a separate section for accessories.

I think it's pretty much necessary this time around. I want glasses on my character, but I don't want to get stuck with one, maybe two hair choices, that would not be cool.

Sharkyland
Nov 21, 2005, 04:32 PM
My friend says the hair should move when the character moves around... maybe their using super strong mousse.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 22, 2005, 08:06 PM
Wasn't their a list that showed all the different categories of clothing and char creations options that had numbers for each of 'em? A translation from EspioKaos, I think...

OdinTyler
Nov 23, 2005, 09:53 AM
Ppl keep mentioning accessories. Hmmm, didnt OdinTyler mention that awhile back? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Skuda
Nov 23, 2005, 11:18 AM
I don't know did he?

DeathMachine
Nov 23, 2005, 11:55 AM
What options were Androids given? will they all look the same, or will you get to choose more than just heads?

Skuda
Nov 23, 2005, 09:12 PM
On 2005-11-23 08:55, DeathMachine wrote:
What options were Androids given? will they all look the same, or will you get to choose more than just heads?

for androids, not only do they have different head, but they have different sets of armor to choose from.

Nai_Calus
Nov 23, 2005, 10:08 PM
I'm just afraid it's going to be 16 variations on shitty spiky hair. :-P

PhruitBaskit
Nov 23, 2005, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I think there's a few different options for the heads on androids. That'll be a very nice improvement...

DamonKatu
Nov 23, 2005, 11:40 PM
If the super hair is still in im ok with that. :rofl: Well, if their is some new hair styles that would be cool.

DeathMachine
Nov 23, 2005, 11:45 PM
I wonder if you can play with the heads like you can with the Humans. Proportionaly, not like soccer.

(That would be a fun minigame, where you kick the recently defeated's head around.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DeathMachine on 2005-11-23 20:47 ]</font>

DamonKatu
Nov 25, 2005, 05:41 PM
On 2005-11-23 20:45, DeathMachine wrote:
I wonder if you can play with the heads like you can with the Humans. Proportionaly, not like soccer.

(That would be a fun minigame, where you kick the recently defeated's head around.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DeathMachine on 2005-11-23 20:47 ]</font>

Kafie: you know what that means...
Damon: you got that right...
Both: GO-GO BALL!!!
Kafie: I call blue team!
DK: hay! I wanted that!
Kafie: then join my team; I dont mind if you join me.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 25, 2005, 10:37 PM
On 2005-11-23 20:45, DeathMachine wrote:

In those old-new scans I posted it said that "you can carefully change the shape of the face and body." I'll bet that's for all the races...

EspioKaos
Nov 26, 2005, 01:24 PM
On 2005-11-22 17:06, PhruitBaskit wrote:
Wasn't their a list that showed all the different categories of clothing and char creations options that had numbers for each of 'em? A translation from EspioKaos, I think...
Here you go. I'll post it here as well.

Human (Female)
Face - 3
Eyes - 6
Eyebrows - 19
Eyelashes - 13
Ears - 2
Hair - 16
Underwear - 5
Skin Color - slider
Proportion - slider
Jacket - 60
Pants - 60
Shoes - 60
Voice Type - 5

Human (Male)
Face - 16
Eyes - 6
Eyebrows - 19
Eyelashes - 3
Ears - 2
Hair - 16
Underwear - 5
Skin Color - slider
Proportion - slider
Jacket - 50
Pants - 50
Shoes - 50
Voice Type - 5

Beast (Male)
Face - 16
Eyes - 7
Eyebrows - 19
Eyelashes - 3
Ears - 3
Hair - 16
Underwear - 5
Skin Color - slider
Proportion - slider

Newman (Female)
Face - 3
Eyes - 6
Eyebrows - 19
Eyelashes - 13
Ears - 3
Hair - 16
Underwear - 5
Skin Color - slider
Proportion - slider

Cast (Male)
Face - 8
(Robotic) Eyes* - slider / 3
(Eyebrows* - 19)
(Eyelashes* - 3)
Helmet - 5
Artificial Skin Color - slider
Armor Plating Color #1 - 8
Armor Plating Color #2 - slider
Proportion - slider
Arms - 4
Torso - 4
Legs - 4
Voice Type - 5

Cast (Female)
Face - 5
(Robotic) Eyes* - slider / 3
(Eyebrows* - 19)
(Eyelashes* - 13)
Helmet - 3
Artificial Skin Color - slider
Armor Plating Color #1 - 8
Armor Plating Color #2 - slider
Proportion - slider
Arms - 2
Torso - 2
Legs - 2
Voice Type - 5

* If the face you choose for your cast is covered by metal plating, you will be given a slider to select the type of robotic eyes you want him or her to have. I have not been able to tell the effect the slider has on the eyes, however. If your face shows features such as a distinct mouth, nose, and eyes, you will be given a choice of three eye types and the eyebrows and eyelashes options will open up for further customization.

Kupi
Nov 26, 2005, 02:08 PM
A point of interest: by EspioKaos's figures, discounting voice type and all the variation allotted by factors affected by slider bars (eye color, facial proportion, hair color, and body proportion), there are 109,440,000,000 unique combinations of body parts for human males.

That's just for one of eight possible character types (four races, two genders).

Is anyone still concerned that they won't be able to make something unique that they'll like?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kupi on 2005-11-26 11:10 ]</font>

DamonKatu
Nov 26, 2005, 02:17 PM
http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif wow http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif thats a lot....I wounder how they can handle that??

Kupi
Nov 26, 2005, 03:06 PM
Well, the character model data is probably just stored as a set of integers. Each character has a separate variable for each option, and then the character model is dynamically created on the client side rather than transmitted as a whole.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 26, 2005, 03:24 PM
On 2005-11-22 17:06, PhruitBaskit wrote:

Heh heh, I knew it was one of EspioKaos' translations http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Anyways, those are some pretty crazy numbers. There's a lot of options for any race or sex you choose for your char. Got to love all those options...

Skuda
Nov 26, 2005, 07:24 PM
I just watched the network video for PSU and I was very disappointed in the male hairstyles. For all the styles they showed, I found only one to be... not ugly.

the female hair was the opposite. they all looked good.

>:(

OdinTyler
Nov 26, 2005, 08:35 PM
Judging by more info we keep getting, I must say Im throughly impressed. I just hope that those of us remaking old chars (but better) that we can still keep the same look that goes with our respective avatars, with the vast improvements we're seeing. I gotta be able to have the 'samurai style' hairstyle for my former FOmarl, or Im gonna be quite PO'ed...

Niki
Dec 3, 2005, 08:22 PM
well, once again, the girls get more choices. must be nice.

at least this time around, the guys don't look completely awkward. and yeh, anything would be an improvement on the male hairstyles in PSO. it was pretty much a choice between embarassing, embarassing, or embarassing.

cheers to EspioKaos for the info.

ANIMEniac
Dec 3, 2005, 10:32 PM
to answer an earlier Q, PSO had some hair styles that where effected by movement so it would only make sense that most of the longer styles will be effected also. what would be realy interesting would be if you could add highlites,but just as i typed it i saw 100's of R.R. Ricos flash b4 my eyes.

Blitzkommando
Dec 3, 2005, 10:52 PM
I certainly hope we don't have "HUmar ver 2.0" and the like coming around. I mean, sure there were a few, very few, styles that were acceptable, but the majority was worth nothing more than a good laugh or help in bulemia.

PS - ANIMEniac your sig is not only too tall, but it is also over 120bytes over sig limits. Please, PSOW already takes too long to load lately, why add to that?

ANIMEniac
Dec 4, 2005, 12:39 AM
i apolojize, i did not realize the slow loading so i changed my sig back.

but on topic... i didnt like to make many humar characters 4 that reason. if i feel like being creative it is really hard to do with humars, they all have the aquard big shouler and run like they have something stiff in there armpit. but all in all, the hair styles are rather anime like so i hav no problem with them. what i think gets us is that most of us have been playing the game long enuf to very plainly see that some styles are ither way over used or not used "eligantly" cause i remember when first starting i was like wow so many ppl. but also i am 4 years older than when i first started now lol.

PhruitBaskit
Dec 4, 2005, 03:28 PM
Yeah, that really put limitations on the creation of same class/race/sex chars in PSO. There weren't nearly enough options. For each given class/race/sex there were only enough items that didn't look stupid to make a couple good combinations. But then again, with only four chars to make and all those classes, why would you make to of the same? Anyways, PSU has a lot more options and I'm sure that it'll take a way a few of those problems away...

ANIMEniac
Dec 4, 2005, 11:10 PM
yea but that was my problem on GC, i was to creative 4 my own good and never got a character over lvl 10 b/c i was always making new ones. on x-box u can have up 2 48 if u so desire, but i am content with 12. so having already made every char, i and SOO redy to go crazy on PSU with characters, even though there will probably only be 4 slots

DeathMachine
Dec 5, 2005, 11:53 AM
I'm glad they added more heads to the Casts. I hated not having decent choices for my HUcast. As previously stated, the choices are embarassing, embarassing, and embarassing.

OdinTyler
Dec 5, 2005, 03:06 PM
Yes, in addition to heads you can choose to be more machine like or have a human-like face. One day Ill play around with androids, just to see all the possibilities. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Kano-Okami
Dec 5, 2005, 04:50 PM
I was wondering if accessories are still apart of the standard hairstyle customizations like hats and headbands...or if they're even around, for that matter.
I haven't heard much news about it so I'm starting to think either they'll be in-game-items you'll equip or no longer a standard for customization.
And after playing as a FOnewm on PSO for so long, I can't bare the thought of a hatless Newm.. >_<

DeathMachine
Dec 8, 2005, 11:38 AM
Will they bring back the ski masks (ie RAmars) and helmets, or was that on the customization menu? I wasn't blessed with the gift to read Japanese.

Kano-Okami
Dec 8, 2005, 05:42 PM
I've just got news from IGN (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/673/673509p1.html) that hairstyles will run up to 56 styles,
sounds good to me.

Fredrick
Dec 8, 2005, 07:35 PM
the female hair was the opposite. they all looked good.

Haha... See I think the other way around. I was watching the guy ahir wang was thinking "Hmm...not bad." and then you get to the gilr ones and its just like "Geh!". They are all nerdy and anime looking.

The guy styles at leasy looked like hair real people would have.

OdinTyler
Dec 9, 2005, 03:27 PM
Whats wrong with an anime look? Quite a few PS games have been heavily anime-influenced: PSII & IV most notably. Besides, if you position the ears & choose the right hairstyle, color & all, Im sure you can avoid the 'anime look' if you must.

DeathKnight
Dec 14, 2005, 01:12 AM
i hope they get a decent amount of choices for customization at any rate. myself most often playing a cast, i'm more worried what they've got for faces and helmets for them. my main concern really is that i'll be able to pick something i like without looking exactly like a bunch of other people. i really hate when that happens -_- and not liking seeing too many characters running around that look exactly the same either.

OdinTyler
Dec 14, 2005, 01:36 AM
Well, we know that human faces, like the hairstyles are VERY customizable. Not sure yet, but I think cast faces will have some level of customization. It has to be more than just choosing an android face or a more human-like one. Im sure youll be able to create a unique enough char. The customizations we do know of make for quite the myriad of possibilities.

DeathKnight
Dec 14, 2005, 11:48 AM
yeah i'm pretty sure Sonic Team won't let us down on customization. at least as far as casts go i know i'll be able to pull off something i like. i'll end up making some other characters later down the line, probably beast as that its new, gotta try it out. dang, i'm just itching to get PSU >.<

Alisha
Dec 14, 2005, 01:52 PM
i just looked at the network video again and i gleaned 2 things

1:did anyone notice how stiff the characters standing around were? they dont appear to be breathing at all http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

2.did anyone notice how loose the controlled characters movement looked? -.-

Para
Dec 14, 2005, 02:30 PM
On 2005-12-14 10:52, Alisha wrote:
i just looked at the network video again and i gleaned 2 things

1:did anyone notice how stiff the characters standing around were? they dont appear to be breathing at all http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

2.did anyone notice how loose the controlled characters movement looked? -.-

I definitely noticed the looseness for the controlled character movement.

Not sure about the stiffness though.. ill look at it again

DeathKnight
Dec 14, 2005, 09:43 PM
same here, saw the looseness but not the other. i think those're small enough for me not to make a big deal out of it though. something they should definitely clean up but not something that would make me turn it away

EDIT: i watched it again and the "breathing" effect is there, its just very slight. try watching it again yourself, its easiest to see by slight arm movements rather than in the upper body.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DeathKnight on 2005-12-14 19:15 ]</font>

ANIMEniac
Dec 15, 2005, 12:05 AM
im not sure i totaly see the loose controls u guys are, but when i look at it and remember all the times i died b/c i got stuck on a wall or enimies, or even by trying to run but u start by walking and u get megid in the eye anyway... ill take the slightly loos controls then lower the sensitivity the controler (if possible) but hey this is a vid months b4 even JP release, so i have a feeling that it will be fixed. as long as it doesnt feel like kart racing on Sonic Adventure 2 battle.

OdinTyler
Dec 15, 2005, 09:22 AM
Its a learning curve as there are more buttons & combos to learn. However, I can guarantee youll like how it feels. I didnt have time to notice char movement like breathing, hair moving, etc. I was too busy keeping dummies like Hyuga alive. I still need to work on that! LOL

DeathKnight
Dec 15, 2005, 09:53 AM
i'm pretty sure the "looseness" of the movement is mainly due the the fact that you don't walk, then start into a run as you did in PSO. you just go directly to running. going back and playing some PSO again, i'll welcome the change >.<