PDA

View Full Version : I need help deciding.

Rei-San
Nov 21, 2005, 08:21 PM
I'm relly starting to get into anime. My mom said I can only get a couple of anime DVD for Christmas. Problem is I can't desaid what. What Anime series or OAV should I get. I'm considering the following:

Rurouni Kenshin
Ranma 1/2
Love Hina (or any other with hot girls in it.)
One of the Inuyasha movies.

I am open for any other sugestions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RayMaster on 2005-11-21 17:21 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Nov 21, 2005, 08:33 PM
Hellsing, Berserk, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun...

EJ
Nov 21, 2005, 08:37 PM
X the series - good story line.
Chrno Crusade - if it's out in the US.
Evangelion - a classic
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Bomberman Jetterz - great story development (if it's out in US)
Tenchi series/movies
Akira
Vampire hunter D movies
Ghost in the shell movies/series
Gundam series - I prefer the wing series
Ninja Scroll
Last Exile
Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi
Ah My Goddess.

Just a few to help you.

Blitzkommando
Nov 21, 2005, 08:42 PM
I'm assuming she knows that several of those have topless girls, yes? If not you might get more of a surprise than you bargained for.

Anyway, Ranma 1/2 is good, I like the manga myself, but there are 7 seasons (Pretty sure 7, might just be 6) which could mean a hefty investment over time.

I am not sure how comfortable you are with more girl oriented comedies, but Azumanga Daioh is absolutely hilarious. That happens to be the only complete anime that I have but I am very satisfied with it. It is however one of the cases where the Japanese voice actors are far less damaging to the ears than the English dubs.

And, of course, FLCL is always a good option. Just two DVDs total, for six episodes, it makes for a good laugh every now and again. It is more difficult to find at stores (at least here) but is consistantly available at the various online retailers (like Amazon.com). Again, it is a good, short, series that if anything is just a 'always gets recommended show'. Plus, the soundtrack is pretty darn good to boot.

Rei-San
Nov 21, 2005, 08:57 PM
I'm assuming shehe knows that several of those have topless girls, yes?

For the last time, i'm a guy. >_>; I'm just Eccentric.

Thanks for the sugestions though. Any other Thoughts?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RayMaster on 2005-11-21 18:01 ]</font>

DLShAdOw
Nov 21, 2005, 09:06 PM
On 2005-11-21 17:57, RayMaster wrote:

I'm assuming shehe knows that several of those have topless girls, yes?

For the last time, i'm a guy. >_>; I'm just Eccentric.

Thanks for the sugestions though. Any other Thoughts?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RayMaster on 2005-11-21 18:01 ]</font>

by she, he meant your mom.

some good ones are trigun, Gundam wing, Outlaw star
And i HIGHLY RECOMMEND Full Metal Panic. It is the perfect combination of a hilarious love comedy and a mobile suit action show. take the word love lightly, it's not like that.

Rion772
Nov 21, 2005, 09:29 PM
On 2005-11-21 17:33, ABDUR101 wrote:
Hellsing, Berserk, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun...

Finally! another Hellsing fan. If you want an anime about a good, strong, smart vampire this is the one to get. The main person is Alucard (spell it backwards and it's dracula). Alucard uses 2 guns, a 13mm Jackal and a 454. Cassull (2 amazing handguns). Overall it's a pretty good show, great affects. I'm a guy, if I could be anyone in the world, it would be Alucard. He has it all, power, skill, intelligence, immortatlity, and a hot (for anime stuff) apprentice. Check 1 or 2 of them out, I think it would be best to check out the 2nd, 3rd or 4th DvD, the first has the least amount of action.

rena-ko
Nov 21, 2005, 09:57 PM
azumanga daioh.

roygbiv
Nov 21, 2005, 10:00 PM
I happen to be a full metal panic fan...

I am not sure how I feel about buying anime... I usually don't want to watch a series more than once...

Hmm... Ranma is pretty good, but fairly episodic so there is really no harm in not getting every single episode released... (also though it has it's moments it kind of gets repetitive)

From the episode I watched of Love Hina... I thought it was awful... but it might also be the fact that I am not easily impressed by pretty girls...

From what I saw of X, it seemed pretty good...

I want to recommend some crazy robot show... but I can't really think of anything off the top of my head...

zwandude15
Nov 21, 2005, 10:10 PM
His and her circumstances x]
Great anime, terrible endinglast few episodes, pointless episode recaps, but GREAT anime...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zwandude15 on 2005-11-21 19:12 ]</font>

Wyndham
Nov 21, 2005, 11:19 PM
um, i don't watch much anime, because id rather read the manga.
of all the suggested series', get Trigun.
after that, I'd say Gundam.
although i only saw one episode of seed, and 6 episodes of G Gundam.
and lastly, Ghost in the shell.

oh yeah, i partially said Gundam because ive built lots of Gundam models. fun way to pass time.

Sinue_v2
Nov 22, 2005, 04:43 AM
Actually, Rion, I'd advise against gettng the Hellsing anime. While it's pretty good on it's own, once it's compaired to the source material (the Manga) the Anime really just falls flat on it's face and you'll more than likely grow to despise the job Gonzo and Pioneer did.

If anything, if you want Hellsing, I'd stick to the Manga for now (which Dark Horse is publishing in the US) and then look forward to the Hellsing Ultimate OVA which will release it's first episodes in the DVD set this December in Japan, I believe. Though it will be spaced out so as to finish up about the same time the Manga does - so it'll be MUCH closer to the source material this time around - and you won't miss out on some of the most interesting character like Montana Max, Rip Van Winkle, Yumiko Takagari and Hinkel Wulf, Shroddinger, Pip, and others who are greatly expanded upon - like Enrico Maxwell and Alexander Anderson.

Supposedly the Ultimate OVA will eventually include animated versions of "The Dawn" - the Manga prequal to Hellsing which has Alucard and a young Walter fighting the 3rd Reich and shutting down their vamperization project in the closing days of World War II.

You can find more information at Rip's site BluttRitter (Blood Knight). Here's a few screen caps she's managed to grab.

http://www.bloodknight.net/OVA/Alucard06.jpg
Bishi-Alucard (though don't worry, he's still drawn as a badass in most frames. Though, in The Dawn, He's drawn as a woman... what can I say, Kouta is crazy)

http://www.bloodknight.net/OVA/Seras05.jpg
Oh my god... look at the big guns on Seras. And yes, she uses them. Though I do still prefer her blue uniform from the Anime rather than her yellow costume from the Manga.

http://www.bloodknight.net/OVA/Major03.jpg
Edit - Sorry, had to replace the picture of Anderson with that of the Major. If you watch the teaser trailer on the Pioneer Anime, at the end - it's his shiloette you see clapping - with the Doc and Captain standing next to him - though none of them are actually in the Anime due to them not being fully revealed until the Anime was alrady well into production.

http://www.bloodknight.net/Manga/Pictures/Schro08.jpg
And even though it's not from the Anime - I gotta show a picture of Shroddinger - everyone's favorite little Hitler Youth cat-boy bastard.

Though as I said, the new anime follows the manga as precicely as possible. (Kouta is working on it personally this time, to make sure it goes right) This means that it will not be a SEQUAL to the Pioneer anime. Many of the character won't be returning, such as Furgason, Helena, Incognito, Harry Anders, The Cheif Inspector, ect... since they're not present in the Manga. Though, so far as I know, they do plan to bring back most of the original Anime voice actors - both in Japanese and English, so expect Crispin Freeman to be doing Alucard's voice again. Also, the musical score from the anime is being recycled for many parts, though a whole new composition is also being made.

So I would think that would be worth waiting for.

As for the topic creator.. there's not a whole lot I could recommend which others haven't. I would highly recommend Gun Frontier - but you may not like westerns or super-deformed characters. Though honestly, I think just about anything with Captain Harlock is gold. So you may want to keep an eye out for Galaxy Express 999 as well.

Metropolis is a great and powerful movie with a sort of Harry Crumb meets Astroboy artstyle, and it's based on a manga which was, in turn, inspired by Fritz Lang's 1920's silent film epic Metropolis. So you're getting a bit of culture while you're at it.

I'd also suggest Elfen Lied, even if Navi will probably slap me for it, simply because it's got a decent story, lots of nudity, lots of very viceral gore, insanity, and some very genuinely distrubing scenarios. Which.. of course.. makes it kind of inappropriate for your mother to be buying it for you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2005-11-22 01:55 ]</font>

Rion772
Nov 23, 2005, 08:50 AM
On 2005-11-22 01:43, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Actually, Rion, I'd advise against gettng the Hellsing anime. While it's pretty good on it's own, once it's compaired to the source material (the Manga) the Anime really just falls flat on it's face and you'll more than likely grow to despise the job Gonzo and Pioneer did.

If anything, if you want Hellsing, I'd stick to the Manga for now (which Dark Horse is publishing in the US) and then look forward to the Hellsing Ultimate OVA which will release it's first episodes in the DVD set this December in Japan, I believe. Though it will be spaced out so as to finish up about the same time the Manga does - so it'll be MUCH closer to the source material this time around - and you won't miss out on some of the most interesting character like Montana Max, Rip Van Winkle, Yumiko Takagari and Hinkel Wulf, Shroddinger, Pip, and others who are greatly expanded upon - like Enrico Maxwell and Alexander Anderson.

Supposedly the Ultimate OVA will eventually include animated versions of "The Dawn" - the Manga prequal to Hellsing which has Alucard and a young Walter fighting the 3rd Reich and shutting down their vamperization project in the closing days of World War II.

You can find more information at Rip's site BluttRitter (Blood Knight). Here's a few screen caps she's managed to grab.

Bishi-Alucard (though don't worry, he's still drawn as a badass in most frames. Though, in The Dawn, He's drawn as a woman... what can I say, Kouta is crazy)

Oh my god... look at the big guns on Seras. And yes, she uses them. Though I do still prefer her blue uniform from the Anime rather than her yellow costume from the Manga.
]
Edit - Sorry, had to replace the picture of Anderson with that of the Major. If you watch the teaser trailer on the Pioneer Anime, at the end - it's his shiloette you see clapping - with the Doc and Captain standing next to him - though none of them are actually in the Anime due to them not being fully revealed until the Anime was alrady well into production.

And even though it's not from the Anime - I gotta show a picture of Shroddinger - everyone's favorite little Hitler Youth cat-boy bastard.

Though as I said, the new anime follows the manga as precicely as possible. (Kouta is working on it personally this time, to make sure it goes right) This means that it will not be a SEQUAL to the Pioneer anime. Many of the character won't be returning, such as Furgason, Helena, Incognito, Harry Anders, The Cheif Inspector, ect... since they're not present in the Manga. Though, so far as I know, they do plan to bring back most of the original Anime voice actors - both in Japanese and English, so expect Crispin Freeman to be doing Alucard's voice again. Also, the musical score from the anime is being recycled for many parts, though a whole new composition is also being made.

So I would think that would be worth waiting for.

I'd also suggest Elfen Lied, even if Navi will probably slap me for it, simply because it's got a decent story, lots of nudity, lots of very viceral gore, insanity, and some very genuinely distrubing scenarios. Which.. of course.. makes it kind of inappropriate for your mother to be buying it for you.

Is seras like...insane in the new anime/old manga? She looks really nuts like she did in the 3rd DvD when the zombies where all over her. I prefer she was a sniper too, I don't like her with a gun THAT big. I might as well buy the manga now, just so I know a the real story. It's a good thing Alucard is still a badass, I wish I had his personality...and strength, that was I could pwn anyone. Also it's good news crispin freeman is still doing vocal for alucard, the voice fit perfectly with the personality. I too like seras blue uniform, the yellow one just bothers me...

Sinue_v2
Nov 23, 2005, 02:17 PM
Naw, she isn't insane. She's actually somewhat of a clutzy comic relief character, though she has a few.. darker, moments, than she does in the Pioneer Anime. Expecially later on when she comes into her own as a true vampire. She gets a bloodlust like Alucard has.

As for that gun, she only uses it in a few chapters of one volume. Kouta was having a bit of fun with the whole "cute chick with a huge gun" and decided to go a little overboard. She generally just uses her regular Harkonnen Cannon - or her bare hands.

Rei-San
Nov 23, 2005, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys, my dicision is almost final. I just ned more information. Do they have Excel Saga on DVD as well as G-Gundam?

Rion772
Nov 23, 2005, 08:58 PM
I have no idea, but tell us what your decisions were.

Rei-San
Nov 23, 2005, 09:22 PM
Alright, it's narrowed down to:
Rurouni Kenshin
Excel Saga
Final Fantasy VII: Avent Children
Ranma 1/2

I'm still looking into it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RayMaster on 2005-11-23 19:17 ]</font>

Rion772
Nov 23, 2005, 09:35 PM
On 2005-11-23 18:22, RayMaster wrote:
Alright, it's narrowed down to:
Rurouni Kenshin
Excel Saga
Final Fantasy VII: Avent Children

I'm still looking into it.

Hmmm, I highly recommend either Rurouni Kenshin or Samurai Champloo. Samurai Champloo is a great show, it's very humerous in my opinion. I own 3 of the DvD's myself and I can honestly say spending the $100-ish wasn't a mistake at all. Either 1 is good though.

Advent Children looks good, I've only seen pictures of scenes from it so I don't really know yet.