PDA

View Full Version : Well my uncle is cool sometimes but other times...

InfinityXXX
Nov 24, 2005, 12:38 AM
..he ticks me off.

Sunday, he and his mom(my grandmom) stopped by our house unannonced, out the blue and the house was junky(Hes 18 by the way) and the whole time he was over our house, he was very negative.

It started off when my mom was talking about moving into this house shes been trying to move in for the 9yrs we've been in this town.

*Also, keep in mind, that everyone in the convo is African American
------
Mom: Man, i would be so happy if I got that house for Christmas

Me: That would be nice.

Mom:For nine years, i've tried to get that house, but I haven't been able too

Me: Well think about it, this is an all black and mexican neighborhood and everytime someone move in that house there always white. There either screening out minorities or letting only their friends in that house.

Mom: Well, thats been known to happen a lot in (*our town*), channel 6 did a report on that a few months ago.

Uncle: I highly doubt that

Me: Come on now, be serious, somethin fishy is up.
(Mom gives me the "don't start it" look)

Mom: Well, you would think, with all the diversity in this town, that this would be the least racist town. Everyday its like a war.

Uncle: *looking impatient*

Mom:Before granmom died, she said, that if something is not right, then fight for it.

Uncle: Oh my god, don't start there again

Mom:What do you mean?

Uncle: Not the whole fighting against racism thing, my god, "you people".....

Me: (jokingly) hey partna' what you mean "you people".Got somethin against black folk.

Mom: You should always fight in whats right.

Uncle: No you shouldn't. You can't stop racism its always goin to be around

Me:Yes you should. God, if we didn't fight against prejudice and racism then we'll still be getting lynched.
(Then he refers to the time I called my old band director a racist and reported him to the board of education thus getting him fired)

Uncle: When you went to the board of education to report your band director, that didn't do nothin. When your director got home he still called you a n*ger!

Me: So, I wasn't gonna tolerate his acts

Uncle: He still called you a n*ger though.

Me: And. He can call me whatever the hell he wants to in his house but I took a stand and told him I'm not down for that. I don't let things go unexcused...

Grandmom: All yall, shut the hell up! I'm watchin TV.
---------------------
That ended the first part but there was more. We were all in the living room and I showed everyone my recorded episode of The Boondocks(the trial of R Kelly).

Uncle: That show is SOOO ignorant. They keep using the "n" word. I need to write them a letter and tell them to take this hot mess off.

Mom: Well I don't like them using the "n" word but its not hot mess. I find it really funny cuase its so true.

Me: Well they could use "negro" instead of the n word but I can see why Aaron kept the n word in the show.

Uncle: and why is that?

Me: Rappers and others have used the N word SO much on the radio. To get mad at this cartoon using it is understandable but if your gonna get all puffed up you should go after the rappers first since they realy started putting the use of the "n" word in the mainstream media. Don't try to put all the blame on this cartoon.

Uncle: Aaron Mcgruder is nothin but a ignorant fool that can draw with a retarded ass show/

Me: For your info, Aaron Mcgruder has been to college and majored in African American studies and the show has a lot to offer. Stop focusing on all the negativity

Uncle: *sigh* you people.. anyone who supports that show and watch it is ignorant as well

Me: What do you mean by you people! Have you looked in the mirror lately because your part of "us people". And just because I watch a tv show, doesn't mean I'm ignorant. You know, you almost act like a character off the boondocks.(Uncle Rukus)

Grandmom: Both yall shut the hell up.....I'm watchin the boondocks.
------------------
Well that ended it but it ticked me off on how he acted. Hes really ashamed of his culture.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 24, 2005, 05:41 AM
You did do the right thing by speaking up against your band director's prejudice.

Don't let anybody tell you otherwise or second guess it in your mind.

See, now he doesn't have that job there, doesn't control your every move and make you feel like less of a person around him, and he has a bad(or worse since he had one to begin with right?) reputation now if he wants to get a new job.

Sooner or later "the jig is up" and he needs to stop being a racist or face more consequences.

Your uncle might just be acting up for no reason other than he's a teenager and he needs to bash what other people like for no reason at all.

Ask him what he likes and tell him it sucks brass donkey balls. Give no reason at all or a shortsighted reason like he did, if you're willing to. Otherwise don't play his game and "stoop to his level", tell him that he doesn't have to watch the show and can do something else instead.

Nobody cares what he thinks if he has nothing to back it up but hate, and he can write an angry letter to Aaron McGruder that he might not read, or if he did it'll actually help him make more shows to prove his critics wrong and continue to do what he wants.

The N word thing is a touchy issue everywhere.

On the radio they can't use it on the hip hop stations around here without it being censored, but my Mexican co-workers turned on the Spanish radio stations and some guy on the radio said to a female caller "Whassup my N-word?!" but yeah, not the "-word" part. They must have figured it was funny or that they could get away with it since nobody speaking English was listening?

That's not right.

A sportscaster made a racist remark about the San Francisco Giants manager(head coach on the baseball team) who is of Latin descent and was fired by the end of the day.

One spanish speaking guy asked me what the n-word means and I told him I'm not telling him that, since its not right and he shouldn't be running around using it- even more so since he knows little English. I don't want to see him say it to the wrong person A LA Jackie Chan in Rush Hour. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Dangerous55
Nov 28, 2005, 01:56 AM
Ok, anyone else getting sick of race topics?

EJ
Nov 28, 2005, 02:19 AM
On 2005-11-23 21:38, InfinityXXX wrote:
Grandmom: Both yall shut the hell up.....I'm watchin the boondocks.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Your Uncle needs to grow up alittle and have a open mind.

@Dangerous: Truth is it can't be help the only race topic I haven't seen is in any forum is a Native American one.

Skorpius
Nov 28, 2005, 03:23 AM
I stopped reason when I noticed that there was apprently some conspiricy of the white folk moving in and scoping the minorities. What the fuck is that?

That's racisit.

Then, when he started acting the same way you two did before, you still think he was being negative. He was being anti-racist in the second part, make up your mind on which personality your uncle should have.

I don't get this rant. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2005-11-28 00:29 ]</font>

InfinityXXX
Nov 28, 2005, 05:40 PM
On 2005-11-27 22:56, Dangerous55 wrote:
Ok, anyone else getting sick of race topics?

Don't like the topic, don't reply.Your comment is off topic and If you don't have anything positive to say then don't say it all. Thank You

To:Skorp
The whole scoping out minorities is not THE point of the topic. Please read my post more clearly and you'll notice my mom ONLY brought it up cause we're looking for a house. To be honest, its jsut that one house.

The point is how my uncle is and how he always downplays his own race and never open minded. And I'm not making up a personality. That was all the parts I can remember from the converation we had.

Yes he was being a bit anti-racist when he complained about the Boondocks but saying that the creator and that anyone who watches it is ignorant was insulting me, Aaron Mcgruder, my mom, AND my grandmom. He watched about 2 minutes of that show and just started getting all negative.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-11-28 15:00 ]</font>

Skorpius
Nov 29, 2005, 01:54 AM
I read your post, my reply still stands. If he doesn't care, he's a bad guy. If he does care, he's a bad guy. Double standards, really.

He knows when he can't stop racisim, and you say he's being stubborn.
He knows when he can stop racisim, and you say he's being irrational.

InfinityXXX
Nov 29, 2005, 05:32 PM
On 2005-11-28 22:54, Skorpius wrote:
I read your post, my reply still stands. If he doesn't care, he's a bad guy. If he does care, he's a bad guy. Double standards, really.

He knows when he can't stop racisim, and you say he's being stubborn.
He knows when he can stop racisim, and you say he's being irrational.

Hes not a bad guy hes just being close minded and disrespectful to me, my mom and my grandmom.

My uncle has always acted like this so in the beginning when we were talking about the houses I didn't mind cuz his comments were typical but when he started insulting me for standing up against my band director thats when ever I got mad, thus causing me to make this rant. That is the sole purpose to why I'm angry.

Then, when he talked about the Boondocks, I can understand where he was comming from BUT he had to get all disrespectful calling me and my mom and my grandmom ignorant and that ain't called for up in our house nor my grandmothers.

But it also ticked me off more because how are you gonna be all anti-activist and THEN in a few minutes later be all pro-activist. It didn't add up, it was like he was just pushing peoples buttons that day.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-11-29 14:45 ]</font>

Dangerous55
Nov 29, 2005, 09:25 PM
I'm not allowed to reply back? OK, report to a mod whatever.

You kinda said it yourself. The topic isnt about racism but you still throw it in there I guess to tell us that you are black and that you want equality!

You're not in shackles.

I'm just sick of hearing black people/comedians horribly rag on white people and get away with it. Like we always say, if we did that we would get destroyed by the media. I'm sick of black people constantly telling me their black. Ok, I don't care, you seem to though.

I don't go around bitching how the Irish have been fucked over constantly. Or how the Polish were raped repeatedly in the 20th century.

OK I'm done.

Skorpius
Nov 29, 2005, 09:40 PM
Maybe he's just annoyed with the crusaider act you seem to put on when you talk about "fighting racisim." You call him disrespectful, but you faught against his opinions, and claim they are wrong. I really don't understand this rant, sorry.

InfinityXXX
Nov 29, 2005, 10:11 PM
Dangerous 55 I told you don't reply only if ur gonna get off topic and flame bait cuz ur prolly gonna get my topic locked.

What the hell? Comedians and entertainers complaining about racism? How in the world did you get this from my topic? Your last comment makes no sense to me. Your letting personal feeling flow through this rant. Looks like you still got a chip on ya, or somethin. OH and by the way, the whole thing about shackles was saying HOW I COULD be if no one ever stood up.

Whats so funny is that I can only think about a good 10 times I ever discussed or brought up racial relations in America on this forum (watch someone actually investigate this) and I've been here for like, about 2 years. Dog, you need to take you a chill and stop gettin so edgy when race is brought uo.

I could go on and on about this but I'll just go tell a mod before I catch a case or get myself from getting a warning.

To SKorpius: sorry you couldn't get the point but I don't put on a crusader act thats how I am, love it or hate it.

I can see how, but I kinda doubt that hes annoyed by me. If he is then hes been annoyed since he came out the womb and he wouldn't invite me EVERYWHERE he goes, lol. What you read was typical Uncle and and the way he acts is NOT just with the topics we discussed in our house that day.

Today, a few hours ago, me, my mom and him went to the mall and we passed by American Eagle *shivers*. And I was telling my mom that when she goes clothes shopping not to get me any clothes there.

He asked how come and I said, "well, to many people wear it at my school and its becoming a religon". And he says, "No its not" and starts going on and on how stupid I am for not WANTING to wear American Eagle.

Its like he gets in these moods where he picks fights with everyone and insults everyone and just disagrees with everone on purpose. Its been going on since forever, and now its to the point where the only time I hang around him is if my mom or a friend is there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-11-29 19:45 ]</font>

Wyndham
Nov 29, 2005, 11:14 PM
I don't like the fact that pretty much all these rants end up on the topic of racism.
my dad lived in mexico for a long time, and looks like he was born there (he's spanish) but he never complains.
and almost noone cares about it, so yeah. just ignore it unless it's absolutely necessary.

and about your uncle.
everyone has a relative who gets on their nerves, it just takes a while to get them to shut up.
like my older brother used to get on my nerves all the time.
but i just ignored him. if you wait, he'll eventually just stop. and if he doesnt, who cares?
i feel like im rambling, so whatever.

ABDUR101
Nov 29, 2005, 11:54 PM
You have your opinion, viewpoint and outlook on racial issues. Your uncle has his. Who really gives a shit?

I think your uncle just more or less is pointing out about the house that supposedly only white people can get into, is so what, shit like that happens. There's racism and prejudice in the world, you have to deal with it to a degree, just like there are assholes in public. There are always going to be assholes, there's always going to be a degree of racism. Even if it's not the out-right cross-burning kind.

How do you know the people getting that house aren't just passing it amongst family and friends? You know people do that right? If someone wants to move, they usually have friends, and friends of friends that they try and find who are looking for a house, rather than just putting it out on open market.

And when your uncle says "You people", he's referring to your sensitivity. You see a house being passed to numerous white families, you call racism. To me, that'd be as damn annoying as everytime I go through town square with my mom and she says "Damn mexicans everywhere."

So your uncle's point, was don't be so quick to call racism when you don't know the circumstances. Expecially in matters that don't even concern you directly. It's a house getting swapped, the people just happen to keep being white. If they were racist, why the hell would they be in a spanish and african american area?

You know, I'm all for equality, of every venture, not just based on the color of ones skin. But you would'nt still be in shackles. Exagerate much?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2005-11-29 20:56 ]</font>

InfinityXXX
Nov 30, 2005, 12:02 AM
I think, that theres some bitterness towards me and what I post on this board and I think I should address it.

I don't just sit around and think up of topics regarding racism in America its a problem I face, especially in my town. I'm in Oklahoma and I experience it on a daily basis and Its very stressful for me and others, so me and my family discuss it and I write about it to ease myself and ourselves.

I come from a long line of civil rights activist. The most popular one of our family is my great granmother, Mae Bertha Carter,(type her name in a search engine like Google or yahoo and you'll get many articles on her). She was the first black woman to send her kids to an all white school in Sunflower County Mississippi. My grand Uncle(not the one this topic is talking about) is also president of the NAACP in Houston Texas.

My greatgrandmother was shot at, her kids(my grandad and grand uncles and aunts) were beatened up, and grocery stores wouldn't sell her food all because she sent her kids to an all white school.

The last time I saw my grandmother, she told me to come to her and she looked me in my eye and told me, that no matter what, if you see some type of injustice or unfairness, whether it regards race or not, NEVER pretend its not there.

My town is a VERY racist town and sometimes I let a racial slur go by but majority of the time I can't let it go without addressing it. Its in my blood to fight against racism and for me to go around saying racism in America is all good or denying that it doesn't exist is something I can't do.

Majority of these rants in this forum are about things that are happening in the ranters life and lots of people post their rants so they can get these problems or situations off their chest. This rant board is like therapy to a lot of people. And I am doing no different than them. Everyday I hear or experience something racist. From being stared by white people in the store, to hearing the N word, to being asked silly questions by random people such as "do all black people rap?" and being denied by numerous jobs.

I just can't pretend these things aren't happening to me. I'm speaking on events in my life, what I face and if you think thats wrong then your saying the whole point of a rants board is wrong.

Systematic racism is very high in America especially in my town. When I first moved here when I was younger I use to actually let these racial slurs and stares get under my skin to the point I cried but ever since my talk with my great grandmother before her passing to the after life I've grown stronger and kept her last words to me in my heart and mind.

In these rants, I express myself. My problems, through these words I speak of the problems I face EVERY single day, I rant. Whether its about my brother, racism, or a prick at school I rant because this is whats going on in my life.

Oran you mentioned someone in your family looking hispanic and not caring? Well thats him. He may be fine with it but hes not everyone that is hispanic. We are all different and we all handle things differently. Just because this black person, or this asian person, or this, hispanic person, or this hatian person, feels ok with dealing with racism doesn't mean that its ok in general. Can you feel me?

Also, I don't know why everyone is acting like I'm bringing up racism everytime I post. The only time I talk about race is if I create a topic(I've only made 3) or if soemone else brings it up. Compared to ALL the posts I've made about 10-20 of them are dealing with race. So I'm kind of offended that people are trying to make it seem like I'm just making rapid race topics when I'm not.

If you see a topic that I make thats dealing with something racist that happened to me or someone else and for some reason you don't feel like discussing it then just don't reply. Its as simple and easy as that. Ceratain comments are just not needed.
---------------------
About my Uncle thoguh:
I think I'm just gonna ask him why he acts so negative. Maybe hes not aware of it

Edit:

To Abdur: The whole shackles things wasn't to be taken seriously. I was jsut saying how That a lot of our minorities and women wouldn't have had the rights they have now if no one didn't stand up in the beginning.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-11-29 21:12 ]</font>

Mystil
Nov 30, 2005, 12:07 AM
On 2005-11-29 19:11, InfinityXXX wrote:
What the hell? Comedians and entertainers complaining about racism? How in the world did you get this from my topic? Your last comment makes no sense to me.

Just stating that I know where Dangerous 55 is coming from. Black Comedians and entertainers are not 'complaining' about white people. He is referring to the jokes such individuals make that are directed towards white people. For example, Chris Rock and others can't go a day without popping out a 'those white folks' joke.

InfinityXXX
Nov 30, 2005, 12:22 AM
On 2005-11-29 21:07, Silhouette wrote:

On 2005-11-29 19:11, InfinityXXX wrote:
What the hell? Comedians and entertainers complaining about racism? How in the world did you get this from my topic? Your last comment makes no sense to me.

Just stating that I know where Dangerous 55 is coming from. Black Comedians and entertainers are not 'complaining' about white people. He is referring to the jokes such individuals make that are directed towards white people. For example, Chris Rock and others can't go a day without popping out a 'those white folks' joke.

Oh, ok then. Thanks for clarifying that cause he had lost me. Lol

Umm, I will like to state that Chris Rock(a favorite comedian of mine but not as good as Chris Tucker in my opinion) and other comedians say stuff like that because thats what they went through all their life.

If you ever watched the show, based off Chris Rocks life," Everybody Hates Chris" and heard him talk about his past you would know he was forced to go to an all white school when, at a time, racism was more accepted than it is now, and he was bullied and treated badly so now hes kinda bitter.
(Certain episodes of Everybody Hates Chris touched on this, but its very watered down)

To be downright, flatout, perfectly honest, every black man in American has experienced sometype of racism or racial remark, some experience more racism than others based off where they live. Chris Rock and other comedians like Dave Chapelle gets this stuff off their chest by telling jokes. Its like how you write on the rants board when you need to get something off your chest.

Yeah, some people do feel Chris Rock is overboard, even some black people feel that way. I don't, but there are some black people that do. I personally think that though he is bitter he also does it to get more spotlight.(not saying thats bad) These days, controversy, equals popularity,fame and money. Just look at Martha Stewart.

So thats some of the reason why they do that.
(Geez, maybe I shoul've renamed this topic, lol)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-11-29 21:31 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Nov 30, 2005, 01:04 AM
Chris Rock and any other comedian who spews out jokes dealing with race. Not an issue for me. I'll laugh at a black joke just as quick as I'll laugh at a white joke. If it's funny, it's funny, and thats the point, to let shit slide off your back and learn to deal with it. Thats what you do when something isn't going to just "go away".

And everyone is a victim of racism to some degree. Some to more degree than others, entirely dependent on location.

It is one thing to fight against racism, it is entirely another to seek it in the world around you. Afterall, if you look for the Devil, you will find him.

I understand that you and your family feel quite strongly on these issues, but don't seek out the Devil, merely acknowledge his existance and "bear to arms" so to speak when necessary.

No one is getting on you about how you feel on things, nor your feelings at all. You have your opinion, and that is never a bad thing. But don't be so adamant in your fight, that you grate those around you.

In the end, I see plenty of racism myself, but not everyone can or will be changed, and many things in life, you have to let slide off your back and hope that eventually, the harsh words and notions will slide off so much, that people stop using them to try and hurt others.

The words, notions, thoughts, they are only as harmful as you let them be.

InfinityXXX
Nov 30, 2005, 01:15 AM
Oh, I see where your comming from. That does make sense, the whole "if you look for the devil, you will find the devil." I will keep what you said in mind. Thank you ABDUR.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 30, 2005, 07:06 AM
On 2005-11-28 22:38, InfinityXXX wrote:

The MAIN point is my uncle and how he acts.

I saw that immediately and posted concerning that mostly.

Yes I got sidetracked by posting about the Spanish radio station etc. but I didn't expect this topic to get bumped with nonsense and have to see Infinity defend himself on subjects this topic was not intentionally about.

He was ranting about a family issue.

He decided to share it with us and people decided to tear him apart by a small opportunity to look in on his family's affairs?

Not cool.

One doesn't need to understand a rant, considering it is a previous event and its considered "beating a dead horse" so the poster might not have been thinking clearly or have said it the way he or she would have with due time to cool down.

If you don't understand it fine, you don't have to judge someone and pry at their opinions though. You can move along and remember you might be judged next time you post an opinion within a rant.

Infinity can touch one or two issues at a time within a rant. No cutting of the corners at times. I tend to be that way myself and see where he's coming from.

Venting, getting your thoughts out, thinking it over, looking back on it, possible solutions or better ways of handling it next time, etc.

As long as there are races and the ability to make topics, holey moley Batman, you're going to see topics concerning races until either one of those things goes away!

Dhylec
Nov 30, 2005, 10:11 AM
We know this is a rant section, obviously there will be unpleasant feelings & situations. Every member is allowed to post & reply, but if someone finds your replies off topic or offensive, please stop doing that. It'll save mods & admins the unnecessary work.

Also, know your audience & topic when you post. Good or bad, be ready to take another's comment if you made a topic. There are helpful replies & comments in this thread, but anything that's off topic will be removed.

Do not feel offended that your derailed comment is removed, you posted it wrongly in the first place. ;]