PDA

View Full Version : How much do u think that PSU will take off?

Blazer01234
Nov 27, 2005, 05:00 PM
I think it will come back to the GC where it will lift off more than the Ps2 version be cause GC is known for it PsO GAmes!!

Sadam100
Nov 27, 2005, 05:00 PM
On 2005-11-27 13:57, Blazer01234 wrote:
How long will PSU last on the Ps2 be before it comes crawling back to the GC the orginal Makers of the Phantasy star series?

excuse me last time i checked the orginal makers of PSO were Dreamcast thank you very much

Blazer01234
Nov 27, 2005, 05:02 PM
On 2005-11-27 14:00, Sadam100 wrote:
[quote]
Adam did u for get that saga practlly owns a 1/3 of the Gamecube game market?

Sadam100
Nov 27, 2005, 05:08 PM
thats only because most of the GC games are made by sega

Blazer01234
Nov 27, 2005, 05:11 PM
On 2005-11-27 14:08, Sadam100 wrote:
But would u want to see PSO on the GC instead of not at all?

Sadam100
Nov 27, 2005, 05:13 PM
Well that has to be THE most stupidest thing said of course i want on the GC despite it coming to PS2 next year

Auracom
Nov 29, 2005, 06:50 AM
Yuji Naka decided to go with the ps2/pc platforms because the wider audience range... so don't hold your breath for a GC version of PSU. You'll end up blue. :/ Sorry to burst your bubble, start getting your PC ready if ya don't own a PS2.

Times a wastin'

vox3om
Nov 29, 2005, 07:23 AM
It's true. I honestly don't recall any store selling PSO for more than a month. It just wasn't a selling game...I think that is because it was on GC and everyone realized that GC games seemed to be based for children. sorry guys she is right. The market for PC/PS2 is much larger which will bring in more players. Especially for PC, the mmorpg market is rising very fast with WoW, CoV, and FFXI. This will just get thrown in the mix of games that most PC gamers enjoy.

uhawww
Nov 29, 2005, 07:23 AM
I don't think they'll spend the kind of money on cross-platforming it further to capture an additional GC userbase which can easily be considered thinning marketshare compared to their original target (PS2/PC users)...

but hey, you never know.

Kent
Nov 29, 2005, 07:25 AM
...Personally, I'd rather Sega go second-party to Microsoft, for the Xbox 360... And then make DS games, as well (See also: Rare).

OdinTyler
Nov 29, 2005, 12:14 PM
1. The original makers of Phantasy Star was Sega.
2. The original system to carry Phantasy Star was the Sega Master System, followed up by the Sega Genesis.
3. Its already been discussed why its on PS2. Stop asking for it to go on another system.
4. No way in hell its going to go back to GC. Its only going to go foward in some way.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 29, 2005, 01:04 PM
There's absolutely no chance that PSU will go to GC. And get your PSO facts straight! Last time I checked, GC wasn't the console that the first PS games cam out on...

Seriously, read the facts! Why would PSU go from PS2 DOWN to GC?

rena-ko
Nov 29, 2005, 01:41 PM
holy shiz... aura >_>

err... what he said.

first PS : master system / mark 3
first online PS: dreamcast

Dhylec
Nov 29, 2005, 03:17 PM
Auracom wrote:
Yuji Naka decided to go with the ps2/pc platforms because the wider audience range... so don't hold your breath for a GC version of PSU. You'll end up blue. :/ Sorry to burst your bubble, start getting your PC ready if ya don't own a PS2.

Times a wastin'

Wo.o look who's here?
You sound optimistic about PSU, where will we see ya? PC or PS2? ;3

_Tek_
Nov 30, 2005, 02:26 PM
My vote: No, you're wrong.

OdinTyler
Nov 30, 2005, 03:39 PM
Actually, technically, the first online PS game were 7 subgames, released only in Japan. They were sort of backstories for 7 of the PSII cast & they were played online or at least downloaded from the net. I believe they ran through the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive in Japan) Telemodem system. Not too clear on it as it was long ago & it wasnt a 'hit'. But, I believe it had something to do with the net. Obviously, the first mainstream online PS installment was PSO V1 way back on DC. Just thought Id mention this to anyone who cares to know. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sinue_v2
Dec 1, 2005, 02:55 AM
Actually, technically, the first online PS game were 7 subgames, released only in Japan.

They weren't online anymore than the NiGHTS PSO mini-game was. You could originally only ACCESS them online, true, but they played client-side and were singleplayer only. The only reason why they could only be accessed online anyhow is because the MegaDrive didn't have a removable re-writable media to store them on.

They're also not RPGs, but rather text Adventure games with some very slight RPG elements.

kazuma56
Dec 1, 2005, 04:28 AM
I'm pretty sure it'll get noticed of ST plays their cards right...if EQA for the PS2 could get to 500,000 players (I think I read that somewhere) then PSU should easily be able to surpass that number.

OdinTyler
Dec 1, 2005, 11:22 AM
1. Yes, the PSII games were OTRPGs (Online Text RPGs). http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

2. Each server (there are 6) on EQOA can hold 3000ppl for a potential total of 18000. On them are US & Canadian players. I never did hear of any European servers so I cant account for those. EQOA is huge in the sense of the size of the zones & how many there are. Never have I seen a game of that size before. If PSU somehow became bigger than that, Id be in heaven. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sinue_v2
Dec 1, 2005, 11:28 AM
They're adventure games man... look, I have King Graham in my sig. I know what I'm talking about. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

OdinTyler
Dec 1, 2005, 03:06 PM
OK so theyre TAORPGs (Text Adventure Online RPG) scenarios. OK? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Idk who King Graham is but to me, Graham is a cracker & that cracker looks like a ranger, with off-color Robin Hood hat included. LOL

Sinue_v2
Dec 2, 2005, 01:10 AM
Uh.. King Graham is the lead character of the King's Quest series - one of the longest running and most influencial PC game series ever created. That game series almost singlehandedly built Sierra up from a garage based company to probably the LARGEST PC game developer of their time in just a few years, though the company has gone downhill since Ken Williams (founder) retired and sold it to Credant (who later sold it to Havas/Vivendi Universal.)

And those games weren't really online... they were just downloadable from online. Phantasy Star IV isn't an Online RPG, even though I can download it from a ROM site correct? Why would the PSII Adventure series be any different? As for a definition - I'd call it Adventure/RPG.

OdinTyler
Dec 2, 2005, 11:01 AM
1. Never was a King's Quest fan, so, Ill have to take your word for it.

2. If we're going to continue to be technical, PS I-IV are all 'Adventure RPGs'. As we all should know by now, not all RPGs are adventure types & not all adventure games are RPGs. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

3. Does anyone know what the 1st video game RPG is? Title & console. Id like to see who knows it.

Sinue_v2
Dec 2, 2005, 11:39 AM
If we're going to continue to be technical, PS I-IV are all 'Adventure RPGs'. As we all should know by now, not all RPGs are adventure types & not all adventure games are RPGs.

No, not really. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Adventure games are deterministic and intellectual puzzle solving, withing the context of a story. The "Adventure" genre doesn't get it's name from the dictionary term - but from the first game which pioneered those game mechanics. Collosal Caves Adventure. Adventure games also predate RPGs (in videogames at least) by at least a year and a half.

http://www.agdinteractive.com/

There's a link to AGD Interactive where you can download their KQ1 and KQII VGA remakes. If you're interested in giving a new genre a try. I would sugget KQII since that one is the better of the two. They're fully VU approved as well... though I would suggest you have a decent connection. It's 40MB for the game, and 80MB for the optional voice pack.

As for the first RPG, it was DUNGEON - released in 1975 on the PLATO Mainframe. The first commercial RPG sold was Akalabeth - a precursor to the Ultima series.

OdinTyler
Dec 2, 2005, 03:08 PM
Sorry wrong, I said first VIDEO GAME RPG. On a PC doesnt count. Try again. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Youre gonna get mad when it finally gets revealed. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kano-Okami
Dec 2, 2005, 03:37 PM
On 2005-12-02 12:08, OdinTyler wrote:
Sorry wrong, I said first VIDEO GAME RPG. On a PC doesnt count. Try again. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Youre gonna get mad when it finally gets revealed. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I believe Odin means "Console", although I think we all get the point.

Sinue_v2
Dec 3, 2005, 12:49 AM
Uh.. PC games are videogames. I don't, and I don't know many people who do, make a distinction between the two. However, "VideoGame" is further broken down past that definition to either Console Game, PC Game, Arcade Game, HandHeld Game, ect...

So yes... Dungeon was the first RPG VideoGame.

As far as consoles go... I would say that Dragon Quest on the NES was the first -REAL- RPG which resembles what we currently play today. However, it's predated by "Adventure" and "Dragon Stomper" on the Atari 2600, which were more or less RougeLike Action/RPGs by todays standards. However, the "RPG" aspects of them are very much in question.

OdinTyler
Dec 3, 2005, 11:03 AM
Well, at least you mentioned it. Adventure IS the first VIDEO GAME CONSOLE RPG. Argue if you must, but, it is what it is. Sinue, you sure love to disagree huh? Anyway, isnt it ironic how the 1st RPG is called Adventure & not all adventure games are RPGs.

Sinue_v2
Dec 3, 2005, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't really consider it a pure RPG... since you didn't get stats, character building, or calculatable damage or anything like that which is common to RPGs. PC RPGs since really their conception have had stats, of course, since they were created by collage students who played Dungeons & Dragons. Dragon Warrior/Quest I was the first real console RPG which took the basic structure of PC RPGs and mixed it with Japanese concepts and design.

Reguardless, the fact that it's called Adventure means nothing, so why should I get mad about it?

And yes.. I do get quite anal about matters concerning Adventure games. They're my favorite genre of game, and one that I've grown up with. Sierra and Sega were two of my favorite game companies, and still are. This was heightened by the fact that Sega and Sierra were good buisness partners. Ken Williams would ocassionally write articals for Sega Visions Magazine, in addition to advertising Sega games in his own companies InterAction Magazine. Both companies loathed Nintendo, as did I at the time. Not to mention that talent from both companies would be exchanged often. When Steve Gerwetzki suddenly shut down Sierra's Oakhust facility without warning, the place Sierra was born, it caused a huge reaction in the industry - as it crippled the mountain town of Yosemite which had grown up with and depended on the company. Sega was one of the few companies which really stepped up to the plate and offered temporary employment for many of the 300-some ex-Sierra employees until they could get back up on their feet.

So yeah.. I care a great deal about Adventure games, and the company which pushed them (and the industry) so far.

Niki
Dec 3, 2005, 08:00 PM
well, let's see. my vote is: i don't think so.

the US isn't a great market for classical themes such as hope, tragedy, or triumph. the gamers i have met are mainly into 2D fighters or the standard platformers, where the focus is generally the highest number of kills. the vast majority [20 to 1] of the kids i know out here who are enthusiastic about MMORPGs are asian, either immigrants or first-generation citizens, which i think reflects the cultural differences in regards to concepts such as community. so the game will blow up, but...

it seems clear to me that almost all of us here are very into this series and the satisfaction the stories of PS have brought us. i'm sure that while we all enjoy PSU, the game will not become popular States-side, but i would be pleasantly surprised to be proved wrong. time will tell.

kazuma56
Dec 3, 2005, 09:33 PM
On 2005-12-03 17:00, Niki wrote:
well, let's see. my vote is: i don't think so.

the US isn't a great market for classical themes such as hope, tragedy, or triumph. the gamers i have met are mainly into 2D fighters or the standard platformers, where the focus is generally the highest number of kills. the vast majority [20 to 1] of the kids i know out here who are enthusiastic about MMORPGs are asian, either immigrants or first-generation citizens, which i think reflects the cultural differences in regards to concepts such as community. so the game will blow up, but...

Well to my knowledge, World Of Warcraft has the largest MMORPG user base and it was released in North America before the Asain market and they couldn't even supply the demand of players when it was released either.

And what do you mean by kids? the term is so loosely used online that you could mean something like "All the people under the age of me weren't into MMORPGs" or "people in their teens generally didnt like MMORPGs"...I thought that FPS' ruled this new generation of gaming...with Counter Strike, Battlefield 2 and all those other FPS online games.

[/end pointless banter]

Generally your perception is right...only time will tell.

Niki
Dec 3, 2005, 10:16 PM
On 2005-12-03 18:33, kazuma56 wrote:

Well to my knowledge, World Of Warcraft has the largest MMORPG user base and it was released in North America before the Asain market and they couldn't even supply the demand of players when it was released either.

And what do you mean by kids? the term is so loosely used online that you could mean something like "All the people under the age of me weren't into MMORPGs" or "people in their teens generally didnt like MMORPGs"...I thought that FPS' ruled this new generation of gaming...with Counter Strike, Battlefield 2 and all those other FPS online games.

Hm, well on the first paragraph, point taken. i guess i should note that no one i know plays WoW, and i've only ever played PSO as far as MMORPGs go, and i've not played an FPS since Goldeneye. so i don't consider myself an authority on the subject.

On the second, you are correct, sort of. i use the term kids to refer to human beings, regardless of age. it's an old habit that's hard to break.

But yes, i stick by my vote.

Cheers!

OdinTyler
Dec 5, 2005, 10:58 AM
A good portion of WoW players come from ppl that played EQOA or FFXI from the beginning & decided to move on. I know this for a fact because I met ppl that played those & decided to move on to another game or play more than one at the same time. If I could play WoW on my computer, I would. I knew about it before alot of ppl on the EQOA community & sadly, limited by the technology I own. Im sure PSU's community will be a pretty good size regardless. Maybe if enough ppl know about it, we can pull from games like WoW. Yes, Im hopeful. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I have to be...

vox3om
Dec 5, 2005, 11:39 AM
I think its funny how we have such negative posts on this site. It's really stupid. We should just be excited to see if it does, and just hope that it does.

OdinTyler
Dec 5, 2005, 03:04 PM
Im one of the few ppl on the site trying to be positive. I keep reminding ppl that:

1. The game isnt out yet. Stop prejudging so harshly.
2. If you dont love PS by now & are against it, why post for a game you have no intention to play?
3. From what we've seen, the series can only improve so dont worry about the negatives. There stands to be more positive than anything.
4. Ppl would have some questions answered if they took the time to read other ppl's posts BEFORE posting.

agenevil
Dec 8, 2005, 05:44 PM
It may, but then theres the whole cross system compatibility thing they would have to work out.