PDA

View Full Version : What?!?! NO MAGS?!?!?!

fronebullare
Nov 29, 2005, 03:23 PM
I hear that PSU wont have MAGS anymore,but some robot thingy that makes items and battles with you.First of all, do you guys like the sound of that?And second,will they still use photon blasts(please say yes)and if so, got any info/picters on them?

PrinceBrightstar
Nov 29, 2005, 03:28 PM
Partner Machine be their name, Photon blasts don't exist but their attacks are now continuous until they die.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2005-11-29 12:29 ]</font>

fronebullare
Nov 29, 2005, 03:44 PM
WHAAAT!!!!they friggin die now?Some partner!All right,i'll give it a chance.And by the way,just how exactly do they "fight".

Tact
Nov 29, 2005, 03:45 PM
On 2005-11-29 12:44, fronebullare wrote:
WHAAAT!!!!they friggin die now?Some partner!All right,i'll give it a chance.And by the way,just how exactly do they "fight".

Probably with conventional PSO means. (Sabers, guns, etc.) This is judging by a screenshot I've seen of a Partner Machine holding a Saber.

Sir_Laguna
Nov 29, 2005, 03:49 PM
Damn, continuous PBs... now I'll never get a hit in on monsters. It'll be take a couple steps > PB > A couple more steps > PB > Get a shot ready > PB > Monsters die > PB > Put my weapon down > PB > Cry.

>PB.

On a serious note, the Partner Machinery system has met me with both intrigue and skepticism. I think it'll be really interesting what you can do with their item synthesis function, and I'm wondering how they will work in battle. However, AI partners were never PSO's strong suit, and I won't want to use an AI-controlled character that will just run headlong into battle, attack a couple of times, run around and then die. At least, if they don't work on a solid allied AI, then they'll use tactics in battle that a human-controlled character with some common sense would never use, and that's not fun to play with.

At least, I hope PSU's AI in general will be smart. Since we'll be spending a lot of quality time with it offline (about 40 hours), it better be.

Sitka
Nov 29, 2005, 04:13 PM
On 2005-11-29 12:49, Sir_Laguna wrote:
...I won't want to use an AI-controlled character that will just run headlong into battle, attack a couple of times, run around and then die.

Memories of Ash and Mome on the DC quests - the joy of NPC-partner quests.

Tact
Nov 29, 2005, 04:28 PM
On 2005-11-29 12:49, Sir_Laguna wrote:
Damn, continuous PBs... now I'll never get a hit in on monsters. It'll be take a couple steps > PB > A couple more steps > PB > Get a shot ready > PB > Monsters die > PB > Put my weapon down > PB > Cry.

>PB.

No offense, but who the heck said they'd use PB's? I only said they'd use normal weaponry...

OdinTyler
Nov 29, 2005, 04:34 PM
We dont know for sure they will use weaponry. We saw a pic of a PM that looks like a mini-Elenor. For all we know, its only a story-driven one for offline mode. We cant assume anything. Its possible we can do as such online, but, dont presume just yet. If you guys want to know about PMs or anything else, please read the topics we've already posted about. This prevents having to keep creating topics about the same things over & over.

Nash
Nov 29, 2005, 05:36 PM
The mini-Elenor is shown in the Network video so I think we will get them online. Seemed like a final evolution though, early PM evolutions look very much like mags and don't look like can hold weapons or fight beside you.

With the difficulty level of the online game being built for 6-players now, I think one of their main uses of fully-evolved PM's will be to make the numbers up if you say only have 2 or 3 players in your team.

I'm still a bit unsure based on what we know so far, I did like my mag just floating beside me in PSO. It added an extra bit of customisation and personality to your character. I hope PM's turn out to be a good successor.

Sir_Laguna
Nov 29, 2005, 08:34 PM
No offense, but who the heck said they'd use PB's? I only said they'd use normal weaponry...

[/quote]

Totally misread Jonathan_F's post. Gah! My mistake. I thought he said they'd use PBs until they were dead, like it was a joke or something.

I think I just pwned myself? I dunno.

I'm guessing the humanoid form the PM took in the network video is the form it assumes when you're using it in battle, and it stays in a mag-like form when it's sitting in your room. Like Transformers or something. I just don't see the mag forms doing much in battle, if anything.

Zarcon
Nov 29, 2005, 10:10 PM
That'd be neat wouldn't it?
If your PM could transform between MAG form and human-like form it'd satisfy a lot of people.
They could even make it so that PM's can only use photon blasts in their MAG form but won't attack while in human-like form they can't use photon blasts but can continuously fight...

ColonD
Nov 30, 2005, 12:05 AM
In the network of Psu video... the 'Mini-Elenor' form was kinda doing a little odd standing animation the 'My Room', with Eathan (spelling...?) Standing there.
I asume that it would fight in the 'floating in air form'. Maybe it would hover in air and have it's own wacky attack animation? Or only use guns in floaty forms. Yet both swords and guns in the more advance midgit form?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ColonD on 2005-11-29 21:07 ]</font>

Mystil
Nov 30, 2005, 12:15 AM
On 2005-11-29 17:34, Sir_Laguna wrote:

Totally misread Jonathan_F's post. Gah! My mistake. I thought he said they'd use PBs until they were dead, like it was a joke or something.

I think I just pwned myself? I dunno.

[/quote]

LMAO =P

Relax, the mags are like the dinosaurs, they gotta die out sometime. Personally they were too much of a cruch. If you lose it to FSOD or something, your character is going to suck moderatly til you finish raising a new one.

AzureBlaze
Nov 30, 2005, 01:51 AM
I hope that the "Mini-Me" is NOT the final form of PMs.
Accessorizing with abstract mags helped make PSO awesome. The original concept, where they equipped around your legs as well, lent further cool. Gimmic mags were also all-right, but it could get way annoying with the min-me's running around. (people make ronald mcdonald HUmar-ish guy, etc)

To be considered:
What is the big thing around Renvolt's shoulders? He's actually just tall, not all that wide/imposing, if you look at him without it. He looks that way cause of his folding wing fin thing. Is that his PM? Or is he some magic NPC that can wear armor you never heard of? (Look at Leo Graheart's cape, which is there to hide the fact that his sprite still has 2 arms)

fronebullare
Nov 30, 2005, 03:11 PM
So what you all are saying is that depending on what race/class you choose, that is what your PM will look like?

OdinTyler
Nov 30, 2005, 03:31 PM
1. There are no more classes, only races.
2. How you play is merely your player style. Your 'class' will dictate how you interact with the game: with enemies, other players & your PM.
3. You feed your PM items & it creates items for you to use.
4. Since we dont know all that a PM can do, there is no set way to evolve your PM a certain way or with a certain form.
5. A PM (Partner Machinery) is a much more evolved 'mag' in that its a personal assistant that not only helps you, but, can potentially act as a fully-functional team member.

Sir_Laguna
Nov 30, 2005, 04:38 PM
On 2005-11-29 22:51, AzureBlaze wrote:
To be considered:
What is the big thing around Renvolt's shoulders? He's actually just tall, not all that wide/imposing, if you look at him without it. He looks that way cause of his folding wing fin thing. Is that his PM? Or is he some magic NPC that can wear armor you never heard of? (Look at Leo Graheart's cape, which is there to hide the fact that his sprite still has 2 arms)

Actually, the Renvolt-style wings look like they won't be limited to just him. Case in point: Take a look at the "Network of PSU" video recently posted. At 1:39 into it, the character being controlled by the player passes right by a large green Cast with the wing armor similar to Renvolt's. It seems slightly different, though. I don't know if that's because the wings stay proportionate to the character's body size, or if it's a different style altogether.

OdinTyler
Nov 30, 2005, 04:44 PM
I still think Magashi's 'wings' are like an old mag. LOL I know, I know. But still, maybe theyre a mag/PM sort of device. Hes an AI afterall. He may have integrated himself with such a device to gain power or increase influence over his cast army. This could be what the device is.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 30, 2005, 06:16 PM
On 2005-11-30 13:38, Sir_Laguna wrote:
Actually, the Renvolt-style wings look like they won't be limited to just him. Case in point: Take a look at the "Network of PSU" video recently posted. At 1:39 into it, the character being controlled by the player passes right by a large green Cast with the wing armor similar to Renvolt's. It seems slightly different, though. I don't know if that's because the wings stay proportionate to the character's body size, or if it's a different style altogether.

Heh, I never noticed that. Very good point. Maybe we'll actually get to have those big, menacing-looking wings. I think they're cool but I don't think they'll find their way onto my char http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif IDK why...But that's a good point and I never would have noticed it...