PDA

View Full Version : No trial month?

PrinceBrightstar
Nov 30, 2005, 06:06 PM
Sure you've got the offline game, but seriously, why would you not give players at least a week of free time online so they can decide if they want to jump on it or not?

Ryna
Nov 30, 2005, 06:11 PM
Perhaps they are trying to avoid the problem they had with BB. On BB, people will often create trial accounts to use for limited purposes.

EDIT:(In case anyone is wondering what we are talking about, check out the front page)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2005-11-30 15:20 ]</font>

PhruitBaskit
Nov 30, 2005, 06:19 PM
Meh, you've both got good points. ST going either way makes sense...I don't think I'd like it, though. Sure a free week would be fun, but a whole bunch of noobs running around for free? No thanks...

Tomeeboy
Nov 30, 2005, 06:50 PM
I think just about every game that is pay-to-play in the US starts off with a free trial period, I would be very surprised if the US version of the game did not come with one. I think they don't have a trial period on the JP version because the Japanese are crazy about these games and will shell out anything to buy and play them. The market for this type of game in the US is not as welcoming, and I'm sure they are well aware of that and will compensate accordingly.

DarK-SuN
Nov 30, 2005, 08:37 PM
We'll see.
I know I'll be getting it regardless of the free period's existence, but I can see how it can tick off a few people.
They may still have the free month/half month/week period and just didn't mention it, either because they didn't think about it or because the site where this was taken from mistranslated that portion of the Famitsu article.

PrinceBrightstar
Nov 30, 2005, 09:14 PM
The problem with them trying to do away with the whole free accounts forever thing is that there's no reason to do that. The game will come with CD-Keys, just like all past versions except psobb has. (if not to protect from online freebies, then bootlegs of the offline game)

Zarcon
Nov 30, 2005, 09:36 PM
A way to avoid people making trial accounts for limited purposes would be to do something like WoW.
-Level cap
-Can't trade with anyone
-Can't drop items onto the floor

Then do something like, if you start paying during the free month it would charge you for the month and release the limitations but let the next month be free.

Or something like that anyway.

I'd like there to be a free trial just to see if I like the online game or if I end up solo'ing all the time anyway.

OdinTyler
Nov 30, 2005, 10:59 PM
I think any online game should have at least a 1 month free period. Sure, ppl will use it for different reasons. But, if 'avoiding noobs' is your reason to not like a trial period, thats a pointless excuse. Annoying ppl come & go (or at least come & stay awhile & if we pray really hard, THEN, go). Trial periods are good because it gives an equal opportunity to any & all members of the community.
Also, think of it as a mini-debug test as ppl will do random things, testing their limits & the surrounding areas, seeing what prevents itself. Such things that ppl with more experience that have become accustomed to the game wont necessarily do. It also helps for those that may not have been part of a beta test to really feel like pioneers of a game.
Set the stage & create our own heroes & legends among us. I personally love the fact that I may potentially be one of the first ppl on a game as it starts so I can say I was there LITERALLY from the beginning.

The legend continues...

_Tek_
Dec 1, 2005, 12:14 AM
Yeah, they need some kind of demo.

ANIMEniac
Dec 1, 2005, 02:26 AM
i think they might be thinkin that offline will be enough of a say if they (players) want to then go online. but every1 has come up with valad arguements as i m not going to restate what every1 said.

Kano-Okami
Dec 1, 2005, 11:30 AM
I agree that its odd not to have a free trial period..
and I'm rather surprised by the $10.50 up-front fee for the first 30 days.
Every online game I've played had a trial period to decide whether I like it or if its suited for me. It seems like ST's more concerned about money than customer satisfaction, this time around...

_Tek_
Dec 1, 2005, 01:34 PM
Offline doesn't really give you all of the experiences of online to try out. But I suppose if they can get them to love online, the extra features of online with make them want to pay.

offline could be the avertisement of online, ha.

PhruitBaskit
Dec 3, 2005, 05:03 PM
Yeah, there's no way to put all of the online experiences offline (at least with no offline multiplayer http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif). Online mode offers a lot more than offline. But I don't think that offline is an advert for online...They're both too different...

OdinTyler
Dec 3, 2005, 06:04 PM
Try telling ST that online offers more than offline. They wont agree. As an RPG vet, I can tell ya: 40hrs isnt a long game...for me anyway. The estimate devs give ends up being longer or shorter than mentioned. Ill fully enjoy the game, dont get me wrong. ST just needs to accept the fact that we will put in the 40+ hrs for offline, but, will put in a few HUNDRED hrs online. Maybe beating offline will unlock more things? Maybe in a 2nd playthrough youll get bonuses? Who knows?

ANIMEniac
Dec 3, 2005, 07:30 PM
well earlier on i had heard something about off line might be how u get some of your apt. decorations. but idk, beating the game ofline helped out on PSO like enemy part making and the frying pan lol, so i think playing offline will ave its benifits other than giving you story for anline and being a HOT game.

Niki
Dec 3, 2005, 07:41 PM
forgive me for opening old wounds [that is, fueling groundless rumours], but i heard a few months back [the first EGM expose?] that uh, you would be able to create items in offline/online for use in online/offline? has anyone dispelled this one yet?

um, i guess this should have been posted on another thread. my bad.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Niki on 2005-12-03 16:42 ]</font>