PDA

View Full Version : VGM

Blitzkommando
Dec 3, 2005, 02:40 AM
VGM, or video game music, is what I consider to be one of the most overlooked artforms of today. Just like with movies, a game is simply less enjoyable without music. It sets the tone, it sets the mood, and it adds life to the game. How many times have you gotten angry, happy, sad, scared, excited, et cetera from the combination of the music and the visuals, story, and action of a game? I know I have, many times.

When I play games without music I just don't enjoy them the same way. They become bland, dull, and almost a drudge to play through. Yet, when you ask many people about the music they are prone to switching to talking about the amazing graphics or the intense action. Even very short, often quiet, pieces of music can be very effective at setting the mood. Half-Life is a prime example, as is Half-Life 2, and more recently, FEAR. The music pumps you up, it gets the adrenaline pumping, it gets you ready to expect something, anything, to jump out.

I suppose, like any medium, there is a specific type of game that is most often associated with the 'best of the best' and more often than not the answer is "RPGs". I have to agree, RPG games have stunning music, both in quantity and in quality. And, I suppose there are a few names that instantly pop into the heads of those who do listen to such music.

Nobuo Uematsu has been writing music for years now, and has released music outside of video games more recently as well. And I have to say, the man is awesome at making some of my favorite music, not only in videogames, but outside as well. Those of you who don't know, Nobuo Uematsu is the man behind the majority of Final Fantasy music.

Yasunori Mitsuda is another great VGM composer. Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, and Xenosaga are just a few of his works. Again, he has some stunning work in the area of VGM and will be remembered for that work for years to come. While not quite as long of a list, his works are nothing short of amazing with each and every one.

Koji Kondo is the Nobuo Uematsu of Nintendo. Legend of Zelda, Mario, Star Fox, and Super Smash Bros. are the main claims of his. A great variety, and great melodies make up his works. Again, he will always be remembered for that simple, but very catchy, beat from the Super Mario Bros. Overworld Theme.

One of the lesser spoken of VGM musicians was Masato Nakamura. He composed the music of Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2. While a very short career in VGM, it was very influential. Afterall, if you didn't grow up on Mario during the video game boom, you grew up on Sonic.

One of the more, upbeat and happy composers of VGM is Jun Ishikawa [not to be confused with the author]. He is the father of Kirby music and all those wonderfully simple, but very catchy tunes from those games. Again, great music that is often overlooked.

I realize this is just a small list, but I believe we should all thank these men and women that make up the wonderful world of VGM. Afterall, they don't get near the attention of other, far less talented, musicians. I just listed a few that came off the top of my head and, who else would you add to this list?

Rubius-sama
Dec 3, 2005, 02:49 AM
I have respect for video games music. I can never play a game and listen to my own music...it just doesn't fit work for me. It seems like I'm one of the only people that doesn't listen to heavy metal while playing Zelda.

InfinityXXX
Dec 3, 2005, 02:55 AM
Well I don't really know any names but for the ones I do know, you already listed them but I would like to state that one of the games with the best soundtrack is Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter. It really sets the theme,mood, and tone of the game and it does a goodjob of doing this

silvermax
Dec 3, 2005, 03:17 AM
http://www.ocremix.org/
and
http://www.mazedude.com/aa/

PJ
Dec 3, 2005, 10:19 AM
It annoys me how my friend says I have bad taste for listening to Video Game music, you know, both while I'm playing the game, and outside the game.

Hey, as much as I loooooooove to listen to, "Baby got Back," (I think that must be the worst song in the world -_-), basically, all that you've said about VG music is what makes me want to listen to the game music as I play.

I love PSO's music (Especially Episode 3 and 4), and the Sonic series musics.

Eihwaz
Dec 3, 2005, 12:33 PM
On 2005-12-02 23:40, Norvekh wrote:
VGM, or video game music, is what I consider to be one of the most overlooked artforms of today. Just like with movies, a game is simply less enjoyable without music. It sets the tone, it sets the mood, and it adds life to the game. How many times have you gotten angry, happy, sad, scared, excited, et cetera from the combination of the music and the visuals, story, and action of a game? I know I have, many times.
Quoted for truth.

Although I enjoy listening to soundtracks as far back as the 16-bit era, game music now is simply fantastic. Games can now have much higher quality music, with real vocalists, instruments, etc. What would Jet Set Radio Future be without tunes like "Birthday Cake" or "I'm Not A Model"? What would Silent Hill be like without the creepy industrial noise by Akira Yamaoka?

Nobuo Uematsu has been writing music for years now, and has released music outside of video games more recently as well. And I have to say, the man is awesome at making some of my favorite music, not only in videogames, but outside as well. Those of you who don't know, Nobuo Uematsu is the man behind the majority of Final Fantasy music.

Yasunori Mitsuda is another great VGM composer. Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, and Xenosaga are just a few of his works. Again, he has some stunning work in the area of VGM and will be remembered for that work for years to come. While not quite as long of a list, his works are nothing short of amazing with each and every one.

Koji Kondo is the Nobuo Uematsu of Nintendo. Legend of Zelda, Mario, Star Fox, and Super Smash Bros. are the main claims of his. A great variety, and great melodies make up his works. Again, he will always be remembered for that simple, but very catchy, beat from the Super Mario Bros. Overworld Theme.
Nobuo Uematsu and Yasunori Mitsuda are both awesome composers, but I have a special place in my heart for Koji Kondo's music. He did the absolutely amazing soundtrack for Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Super Mario 64, and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island; these games, incidently, are also among my favorite all-time games.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2005-12-03 16:08 ]</font>

Neith
Dec 3, 2005, 12:43 PM
Zone of the Enders music, I'm not sure who composed it, but it suits the game SO well- it makes the game much more enjoyable.

Nobuo Uematsu- those who have heard the Advent Children soundtrack will likely agree with me when I say it's a massive selling point of the film.

Even with FPS games, games such as Unreal Tournament 2004 for example. That has some fast-paced tracks which suit the crazy pace of the levels.

I think more games should release soundtracks, as it can be hard tracking them down sometimes..

Shattered_weasel
Dec 3, 2005, 12:47 PM
I just recently caught myself listening to some of the heavy rock songs that Devil May Cry 3 gave when I was supposed to go through a door I had just unlocked. Bye Bye S Rank.

roygbiv
Dec 3, 2005, 01:20 PM
Old school PC rpgs also had some pretty good music. Stuff by the Fat Man was brilliant for the time period (being limited by midi).

Sharkyland
Dec 3, 2005, 02:03 PM
I... LOVE... VIDEO... GAME... MUSIC... PERIOD.

Rubius-sama
Dec 3, 2005, 04:48 PM
You should add Super Mario RPG to that list. It had one of the best scores ever. Anyone know the artist behind them?

Eihwaz
Dec 3, 2005, 07:09 PM
On 2005-12-03 13:48, Rubius-sama wrote:
You should add Super Mario RPG to that list. It had one of the best scores ever. Anyone know the artist behind them?

Yoko Shimomura, Koji Kondo, and Nobuo Uematsu.

Blitzkommando
Dec 3, 2005, 07:11 PM
On 2005-12-03 13:48, Rubius-sama wrote:

Yoko Shimomura and I have to agree, it is awesome. Has anyone else here heard the Arranged tracks? If not I encourage you to attemt to find them, as they are very well done for the most part.

DamonKatu
Dec 3, 2005, 07:12 PM
Hay, dont forget DKC games. I actully sang to that...I even made two love song from DKC2 music...Im not singing it here and you cant make me!!

rena-ko
Dec 3, 2005, 08:11 PM
there are tons of good musics.

taking the obvious ones aside (square games mostly), i always were a rareware-fan (and now free radical fan) because of the music.

then there is katamari damacy. a wonderful ost for everyone that would also like things like towa tei.

for eletronic music - GitS PS1 game OST, rez OST, F-zero GX OST...
heavy metal or loud stuff: Guilty gear / F-zero 64 OST

funky music - jet set radio / ollie king OST

epic music - panzer dragoon orta

good rock stuff - silent hill music

and a bunch more

EphekZ
Dec 3, 2005, 08:15 PM
vgmusic.com http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Wyndham
Dec 3, 2005, 08:50 PM
i like the Megaman soundtracks.
yeah, I'm one of those guys who listens to beeps on his cd player.
but i also like some of the X6 stuff too.

Rubius-sama
Dec 4, 2005, 12:17 AM
Gamefaqs had an article on the top 10 video games OSTs about a month ago. After some searching, here it is:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/4.html

silvermax
Dec 4, 2005, 01:23 AM
On 2005-12-03 17:15, darkgunner wrote:
vgmusic.com http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

how could i forget that one?

rena-ko
Dec 4, 2005, 01:30 AM
On 2005-12-03 17:50, Oran1324 wrote:
i like the Megaman soundtracks.
yeah, I'm one of those guys who listens to beeps on his cd player.
but i also like some of the X6 stuff too.

long live classic midi-art!

Larian
Dec 4, 2005, 03:24 AM
Ippo = God!

Oh...and has anybody ever heard of the Spoony Bards...They Rock!! =D