PDA

View Full Version : Payment for JP

Niki
Dec 3, 2005, 09:11 PM
an interesting problem:

SegaLink will not accept my CC info. I've run into this before when trying to pay for things with my money. silly japanese. which leaves the option of...

...NETCASH. but lo, they are also not accepting CC payments at thim time. they do, however, sell payment cards @ 7-Eleven. in japan.

so, to come to the point, i will try to get to some japanese retailers this weekend, but if anyone knows where to purchase NETCASH IDs somewhere near the eastern shores of the Pacific, i'd love to hear about it.

Curiosity
Dec 4, 2005, 02:51 AM
On 2005-12-03 18:11, Niki wrote:
an interesting problem:

SegaLink will not accept my CC info. I've run into this before when trying to pay for things with my money. silly japanese. which leaves the option of...

...NETCASH. but lo, they are also not accepting CC payments at thim time. they do, however, sell payment cards @ 7-Eleven. in japan.

I ran into this as well. At least now I know it's not only me and a few others having this problem. Odd thing is, they actually did accept a payment from my CC once. Now I'm kinda wishing I'd shelled out the $50 for the 90 days back then. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

So does this likely mean that we may not be able to play the JP version online? Sure offline would work, but what's the point if we "lose" half(?) of the game?

uhawww
Dec 4, 2005, 08:59 AM
Well, this is a little upsetting.

Since you don't include any extra information on the SEGAcash CC page other than your Card # and Exp date, one can assume they're verifying the remainder of the information from you SEGAlink registration...
And since your family and surname were typed in katakana, I think it may be difficult to pay for online play.

It still sucks that online deposit systems like NetCash and @QUO have had to suspend CC deposits due to rampant fraud a while ago. Here's hoping they open that back up soon...

Parn
Dec 4, 2005, 11:14 AM
I'm surprised more haven't been checking this topic out, as it is kind of serious for anyone planning to import. I tried my credit card and my check card, and neither work. It's looking like we'll be playing PSU offline until the domestic release hits, unless something changes in the next two months.

uhawww
Dec 4, 2005, 11:32 AM
On 2005-12-04 08:14, Parn wrote:
I'm surprised more haven't been checking this topic out, as it is kind of serious for anyone planning to import. I tried my credit card and my check card, and neither work. It's looking like we'll be playing PSU offline until the domestic release hits, unless something changes in the next two months.

I'm currently checking the prepaid service sites for somce of the convinience store payment systems (including LOPPI and FamiPORT), but it's not looking good. In addition, NTT's pretty exclusive when it comes to other net payment systems, so balance transfers from CC active systems like BitCash or C-check are out of the picture...

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

Hope you've got friends in Japan...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2005-12-04 08:38 ]</font>

Nash
Dec 4, 2005, 12:25 PM
Hmmm, this is concerning. I never thought this would be a problem, as credit cards went through fine for Japanese PSO's before.

Does the SegaLink information have to be in katakana? I haven't registered yet.

Curiosity
Dec 4, 2005, 12:48 PM
On 2005-12-04 09:25, Nash wrote:Does the SegaLink information have to be in katakana?
Name and surname have to be in katakana, yes.

It is kind of interesting though that my initial payment did go through properly. Someone else's went through, eventually, but there was several weeks between the transaction and post dates on his statement. The charge appeared on his next month's statement, instead of the one it happened in. Go figure. I've gotta wonder why they decided to make that kind of change.

Niki
Dec 4, 2005, 05:50 PM
Hm, the point concerning the cross-reference of the CC info with the SegaLink ID is something i had not considered. Is this service something that Sega is planning to bridge to the US closer to the release date? Speculation, i suppose...

Still, that leaves NTT NetCash, though none of the third-party websites i was able to find would sell it [LAWSON would only give me instructions on how to operate Loppi], and half the retailers in the Kinokuniya Building or Kintetsu Mall had not even heard of it.

That leaves two months for someone out here to wise up and take my money...before i have to get drastic.

In the meantime, i'll keep digging.

OdinTyler
Dec 4, 2005, 09:37 PM
You guys are mentioning company names Ive never heard of. This is why Im glad Im not importing. Seems like more trouble than its worth. All I can say is be careful, especially where your money is concerned. That & try to make some Japanese friends. Maybe they can help you out with getting everything all sorted out. Learning how to read kanji is not something easily done.

Nash
Dec 4, 2005, 11:01 PM
If is it doing a credit-card name/SegaLink check, and it isn't just a glitch with the website, then pre-paid will be the only solution.

Don't know much about NetCash, but I know Sega used to sell specific pre-paid cards for PSO in the past on DC and GC. They might do something similar with PSU.

Atleast we have a couple of months to try and figure all this out, rather than having to wait until we have the game.

GaijinPUnch
Dec 5, 2005, 09:34 PM
This is very likely. My HL has always been paid w/ by my normal credit card, but when I bougth Episode IV (from a 3rd party mind you) my US credit card didn't work - only my wife's Japanese card.

Net Cash is (I'm pretty sure) sold through machines (like Loppi). You'll be hard pressed to get it sent direct. I will likely be in Japan in January. I can always pick up a stack if I've got the money in advance. I've also still got friends that probably wouldn't mind picking some up for me, which I can in turn sell here for the few people that will import, if that's the only route.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GaijinPUnch on 2005-12-05 18:35 ]</font>

Nash
Dec 5, 2005, 11:26 PM
Cheers, it's good to know that might be an option if everything else fails.

GaijinPUnch
Dec 8, 2005, 09:54 PM
Any chance it's actually the CC company blocking these? Notice how they don't ask for any billing information? Anyone tried calling their credit card companies?

uhawww
Dec 8, 2005, 10:05 PM
I doubt there's any blocking at all.
I notice that the payment info entry screen doesn't ask for a Name on Card or Address/CW2. Address information can be added to your account information if you edit your SEGAlink account, but I tried it to no avail.

I'm still convinced that it primarily an issue with your name in Katakana on registration, and the credit system simply not taking that as valid.

Curiosity
Dec 9, 2005, 05:07 AM
On 2005-12-08 18:54, GaijinPUnch wrote:
Any chance it's actually the CC company blocking these? Notice how they don't ask for any billing information? Anyone tried calling their credit card companies?

Actually I did call my cc about it just to make sure it wasn't a security block on their part (like when I tried to charge a little over $5,100 for a computer). I was told the charge/payment never actually made it to their server. So it's something on the payment site side of things.

Also, I believe most sites cross-reference billing address in addition to name and CV2 (name varies a bit) code, and not just the name. Of course this part is just from my experiences, and some small bit of speculation.

Sinue_v2
Dec 9, 2005, 10:37 AM
Gaijin... I'll probably go that route if you feel like hooking a few of us up. I'd just like to know how long it will take for the US release after the JP version is launched since I plan to play the US release primarily. Once we know that, then I'll send you a money order for the correct amount of cards needed to get me through until a US release.

Ever throught of making a little micro-buisness out of it like PSOExplorer? Weither it be for profit, or non-profit doesn't matter. I'd gladly pay a little overage to you for the oppertunity to get hooked up online.

GaijinPUnch
Dec 11, 2005, 07:36 PM
I'm still convinced that it primarily an issue with your name in Katakana on registration, and the credit system simply not taking that as valid.

Nah, there are technically Japanese with katakana names (specifically Japanese married to filthy gaijin -- like my wife!). While they may have some troubles GETTING credit cards sometimes, using them is not really an issue.

I've got two options at the moment. I'm either going to Japan to visit family & friends in January *OR* February (I'll tell the wife I need to be back by the 16th though. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif or I just slide a friend a few bucks to run down to 7-11 and buy like 10 or 15 Net Cash cards and EMS them to me. It's no big deal really, so wouldn't be looking to make anything other than cover the bank transfer and postage costs (a buck a card maybe?). I had a games side business back in the day... not too interested in doing it again. but of course, don't mind helping out.