PDA

View Full Version : I dont understand the point of PSU.

Fredrick
Dec 4, 2005, 10:23 AM
One thing I like about PSO more then PSU already is it was very clear as to what you were "playing the game for". There was a big explosion and you were there to figure out what happened. I mean that was obvious even if you knew very little about the game.

I have watched almost all the PSU videos, and I have read about it, and im still not really sure what this game is trying to be. So something to do with seed (whatever that is)? And some old ruin type areas are unvocered? Ok great. Sounds like PSO without the objective.

I mean... why are you playing as Ethan (sp)? What is it that you are trying to discover?

Saffran
Dec 4, 2005, 10:47 AM
Nobody knows because the game isn't out yet.
And I'd say Ethan tries to find out what these Seeds are and why they are going on a killing spree. (duh for stating the obvious)
There will be some other things coming at him on the way, but I don't want to know those. I'll find out when the game comes with the post in February.

rena-ko
Dec 4, 2005, 11:11 AM
the offline part - where you play ethan etc - is just like your average action-rpg. the story will get told to its full extend (and it would be pretty pointless to spam that now).

the online part however (still might be available only after clearing the offline part - no news about that so far) lies pretty much in the dark until now.

Parn
Dec 4, 2005, 11:23 AM
The objective doesn't seem that much different. Some entity named "SEED" comes in and starts ruinating the celebration going on in Graal. I'd say some investigating is in order, heh...

Though unlike PSO, we'll get extensive amounts of narrative this time around, rather than trying to make a picture out of a handful of pieces from a thousand piece puzzle.

Nash
Dec 4, 2005, 12:09 PM
On 2005-12-04 08:11, rena-ko wrote:
the online part however (still might be available only after clearing the offline part - no news about that so far) lies pretty much in the dark until now.

The EGM article from May said you could start playing offline or online straight away:

When you first boot up Phantasy Star Universe, you have a choice: Create your character for the online multiplayer game or tackle the sprawling, 40-hour-plus offline quest. Nothing you do in one affects the other in any way, so it's really like having two games in one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nash on 2005-12-04 09:17 ]</font>

Kupi
Dec 4, 2005, 12:54 PM
I recall (probably incorrectly) that it was mentioned somewhere that the online segment of the game occurs at the same time as the offline game. In other words, while Ethan and company are running around discovering conspiracies, getting involved in political imbroglios, saving the world, etc., our online characters are going to be doing the day-to-day SEED fighting and Guardian work.

Lord_DS
Dec 4, 2005, 02:24 PM
The online story takes place AFTER the offline story http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif When you play online Ethan is considered as a hero http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Niki
Dec 4, 2005, 04:04 PM
i wonder if ethan an co will appear as NPCs in the online quests...

Luce
Dec 4, 2005, 05:36 PM
I heard something about it being about Seed and him looking for his sister???...

OdinTyler
Dec 4, 2005, 09:30 PM
I guess Im going to have to repeat myself...AGAIN (sigh):

1. Online & offline takes place in the SAME timeframe. Stop trying to change it around. ST said it, just accept it.

2. Offline is your typical RPG fare that we love. Rescue someone (in this case, your sister) & defeat the evil plaguing the land. Dont ya love RPGs? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

3. For those that wonder, whats the point? PSU takes place in a new system, so its a new series altogether. How much it ties in with Ragol & past PS games, we'll find out one day.

ANIMEniac
Dec 4, 2005, 11:31 PM
ok i find this kinda dumb so im gunna say this. in PSO u r sent so check out a mysterious explosion. a valad reason to send hunters. so dont u think it would make MORE sence if "SEEDs" and falling out of the sky and destroying life around them, and that 100 years of peace has been disrupted. id send some1 to check htat out. and here u r saying that u cant find a logical reason to see why the gardians are doing this... on top of that like some1 said the game isent out yet so obviously thay are not gunna spoil the storyline 2 much, just e-nuf to intrige us.

sorry if this post came out mean so i leave my self open to any1 who wants to yell at me.

OdinTyler
Dec 5, 2005, 10:28 AM
I wont yell at ya. I agree. Ppl are being far too impatient. Better to read whats posted here & discuss ideas. You know, like how we've been doing for months? As for exploring what happened, its known now that a celebration was going on & the SEED 'just' attacked. You, as Ethan are sent to explore since well...your sister's gone & youre not gonna leave it to someone else to look. I have a feeling he tells the GC's leader: 'Look, Im going & thats that.' Something to that effect. When online, replace Ethan with you & go from there.

vox3om
Dec 5, 2005, 11:32 AM
Patience is a virtue. I garauntee you that this game will have a good story line, or else they wouldn't have made an offline story mode. They would have just created the same thing they did with PSO and you just run around and basically do the same things all the time.

Just wait till the release. Plus I feel like when you type on these message boards it gets you hopes up for something that you dont even know about since its not released.

OdinTyler
Dec 5, 2005, 03:05 PM
Agreed again. We can talk, theorize, & debate. Thats all well & good. Im choosing to do it in a positive light & accept what comes. If I didnt want to be here & didnt want to play, I wouldnt. Im here with good reason. However, I can only speak for myself. What say the rest of you?