PDA

View Full Version : PSU Info help

Jozon
Dec 5, 2005, 05:27 PM
I was wondering if anyone had a definite or close to definite date for PSU to come out, and if anyone knew how *different* for lack of a better word this game is compared to the other ones, because I played Blue Burst and it was the same as the one sI already beat many many times with one new stage based off the old ones with enemies who's A.I. was the same as other monsters. I wanted to play something different, and was wondering if this might be th egame for me.

F-o-x
Dec 5, 2005, 06:26 PM
You should look over the other topics in the forum as well as the PSU section of PSO World. They can answer all those questions in great detail.

Since I'm here I'll answer the release question. We now have a date for the JP version which is Feb 16th if I'm not mistaken... I know its sometime mid Feb. But as of right now we have no word on a US date.

Zarode
Dec 5, 2005, 06:32 PM
On 2005-12-05 15:26, F-o-x wrote:
Since I'm here I'll answer the release question. We now have a date for the JP version which is Feb 16th if I'm not mistaken... I know its sometime mid Feb. But as of right now we have no word on a US date.

All points are leading to same day US-JP release.

But don't get your hopes up too high...

Nash
Dec 5, 2005, 07:47 PM
Jozon, PSU is a true sequel to PSO with changes/improvements to every area really. It also features a proper 40-hour story-driven offline RPG as well as the online mode. Check out the excellent PSU section on this site for the details.

Release dates:

Japan - February 16th (confirmed)
US - May 6th (unconfirmed, may be earlier but both Amazon and EB are showing this date)
Europe - Summer 2006

Jozon
Dec 5, 2005, 07:57 PM
thanks

Sinue_v2
Dec 6, 2005, 12:56 AM
Jozon, PSU is a true sequel to PSO with changes/improvements to every area really.

Well, not quite. It's a sequel to the Phantasy Star franchise - but not specifically to PSO. Each "Series" in the franchise (PS, PSO, PSU) has it's own continuity and gameplay differences which seperate it from the other series.

I don't mean to be anal, but I hear a lot of people complain about PSU not being enough like PSO for a sequel - and they don't understand that Phantasy Star is a very old franchise, and they apperantly are going the same route as Final Fantasy, expect that they change continuities every four games rather than every single game. Now just happens to be the time that continuities are switching to something new - and PSO brought in a lot of new people to the franchise who may not have played the originals.

Nash
Dec 6, 2005, 09:24 AM
Sorry, I should have been clearer by what I meant by sequel. In gameplay terms, based on what I played at TGS, I'd personally consider it a sequel to PSO.

While the story and setting may be unconnected, It's evolved the game in pretty much the way I expected a proper sequel would. Whereas Episode I&II was just an expansion of PSO.

Sinue_v2
Dec 6, 2005, 09:58 AM
Well, it just signifies the shift in gameplay the series has taken from turn-based to a polished and engaging real-time battle system. PSU is as different from PSO in almost as many ways as it is similar, and there's quite a few aspects of the original series surfacing as well - most prominantly the inclusion of an offline storyline mode w/ strong narration brought about by the use of static characters to tell the storyline.

PSU is a proper sequel, but to the franchise - because it is a mix of concepts and evolutions of design from both PSO and PS. Not to mention it brings quite a few new features to the table as well.