PDA

View Full Version : Gun & Longbow

Jozon
Dec 6, 2005, 10:46 AM
Is the gun mainly for androids and longbows for humans, or are longbows a stronger ranged weapon than guns.

Ryna
Dec 6, 2005, 11:28 AM
I don't think that question can be answered yet. We don't really know what kind of damage either of those weapons will cause or if humans are more proficient with bows than guns. We do know that Casts have an affinity for guns. As such, it would be reasonable to speculate they will do more damage with guns than long bows, if the two weapons are similar in strength.

Shade-
Dec 6, 2005, 06:25 PM
we don't really know yet. Although, my speculation is, they will change the damage calculator for ranged weapons in PSU. Where in PSO, ATA was if the bullet hits, and ATP was how much damage it does. It was pointed out in "How does pulling the trigger harder make the bullet hurt more?" A lot of games have gun damage derived completely from accuracy, and bows are split between attack and accuracy, which makes sense. So my guess is, handguns, rifels, mechguns(or the equivelent) will be based on ATA, bows split between ATA and ATP, and slicers (they better not have taken them out) based mostly on ATP.

Shots I have no idea what they will do. accuracy dosne't matter so mich with a shotgun as it does are you facing the right way. Although, being a firearm, the "pull trigger harder = more hurt?" thing, so figuring ATP dosent work so well with that either. My only other thought on that one is, if it's hit-box is a cone extending from the tip of the barrel, the closer you are to the enemy, the more damage it will do, but conversly, the spread area will be less. This to me makes sense, as it kind of works how it would in a real world situation. a shotgun fire at point blank is going to kill you. Puting it in PSO terms, if you have a shot, and an emeny is right in front of you, and you fire, all 5 little bullets would hit him, making sense it would do more, right? on the other end, if there is a line of 5 enemys a little bit away from you, and you fire, each gets hit by one bullet. does that make any sense? what do you guys think?

Nash
Dec 6, 2005, 06:33 PM
Shade, I definitely like the sound of that.

A more realistic, and therefore more varied, way of calculating the damage would definitely improve the game. It would open up new strategies and things to consider. I hope PSU implements something like this.

Shade-
Dec 6, 2005, 07:47 PM
thanks http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

If you try to think logicly, they have to do something different. The rifle and Bow are both 2 hand, single target(assumption on the bow) long range weapons. They cover the same catagory, making little sense except one might look cooler with your character i guess. there needs to be some sort of inherent difference, right? They might just do something like, the bow is noticably slower, but stronger, and overall shorter range than the rifle, but personally, I like my other idea way better.

although, I did notice when writing that, that there are several mellee weapons that cover the same catagory. daggers and claws, close range fast single hit weps. Swords and partisans, slow multi hit and longer range. given, swords are stronger, slower, and have a wider sweep, and partisans are faster, more accurate (look way cooler XD) and unless I'm crazy, have a longer foward range, but narrower than the sword.

So i guess looking at the history, it would make enough sense to ST to make the bow slower, stronger, and shorter range.

Well, I guess that makes my first post more of "wishfull thinking" rather than speulation. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

F-o-x
Dec 6, 2005, 08:27 PM
That makes a lot of sense Shade. However I'd be kinda pissed if they did do it that way because I wouldn't want to say goodbye to the damage that mechguns did in a hunter's hands. I do however admit that the system of gun damage in PSO isn't logical.

Also I heard the bow will have greater range while aiming in first person mode, so perhaps this will be its "x factor" or what sets it apart from other similar ranged weaponry.

Shade-
Dec 6, 2005, 09:29 PM
well, it got to the point where my HUcaseal only put away the mechguns if something really mean got too close to her, and then slashed it with a really pointy stick.

It was nice, but it wasn't fair, especially to rangers.

DeathMachine
Dec 6, 2005, 10:36 PM
Even though I was a Hucast fan, I loved guns. I liked my Hucast because he could take mechguns and destroy everything in his path with the intensity of the Delsaber's Buster/Sheild combo. If they decide guns' damages are based on accuracy, then things would be all fine for me (seeing how casts aren't the strongest anymore http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif )